PDA

View Full Version : LEGEND of the DRUNKEN MASTER

lowsweep
05-11-2001, 11:39 PM
Hey, i cant find this movie at the movie store near me so i haven't been able to rent it. I have heard some good reviews and was thinking of buying it. Has anyone seen it? Is it good? I heard there were some great fight seens (I loved jackie in "who am i"). I dont like the fights that are obviously fake or very sped up (like in Gorgeous). Thanks, lowsweep

Take the pebble
from my hand

Tru-MA
05-13-2001, 03:34 PM
I have that movie...except it's the Chinese version, which is Drunken Master II. The martial arts in it is quite broad. At the beginning and middle fight scenes, the choreography looks very old school because the director is Lau Kar-Leung. You should definitely try to get a copy for the final fight sequence, but I do admit that it does look kinda sped up, especially when Jackie gets drunk.

jackiech
05-13-2001, 07:10 PM
It is the best kung fu film ever made

ASIANARTIST
05-13-2001, 10:00 PM
I just saw it yesterday. It's a great film. After watching it I really want to pick up some of those wild moves.

jbmmaster
07-29-2001, 11:38 PM
Cool Movie, I give it a 10. Its a very funny movie with alot of fight scenes. I guess why I like it the most is because It shows this style of fighting, a very intresting style and not alot of martial art movie get into to the depth of the style that is presented. I also like the music that is played when Jackie chan starts drunken boxing.

Jimbo
07-30-2001, 04:28 AM
IMO it was Jackie's collaboration with Lau Kar-Leung (a.k.a. Liu Chia-Liang) that made the film as good as it was.

Those familiar with the better old school kung fu films will know that Lau Kar-Leung worked as the director and sometimes star or co-star of some of Shaw Brothers' best movies, just a few examples: Master Killer, Mad Monkey Kung Fu, The Lady is the Boss, My Young Auntie, Shaolin Challenges Ninja, and Legendary Weapons of China.

He also worked only as the MA choreographer on films such as Fist of the White Lotus, Five Shaolin Masters, Shaolin Martial Arts, Death Chamber, Heroes Two, etc.

I was trying to figure out if the fights were sped up in Legend of Drunken Master (Drunken Master II). Sometimes it's just hard to tell if they just look sped up or if they really are.
Jim

Chang Style Novice
07-30-2001, 04:38 AM
Don't forget Pedicab Driver -

IMO, his pole fight with Sammo Hung in there is the best I've ever seen in the movies.

Black_Talon
07-30-2001, 05:59 AM
Go see it now!!!! Buy it if you can't rent it!! It's that good!

The final fight scene is truely awesome, maybe the best ever!! The other fight scenes are great too! Also the movie is funny too!!

Get it now!

------------------
Some may boast of prowess bold,
Of the school they think so grand,
But there's a Spirit, can ne'er be told,
It's the Spirit of Aggieland
------------------
------------------
UT Unlimited, your premier mapping site!
Ace82@unrealism.com
UT Unlimited (http://utu.unrealism.com)

Black_Talon
07-30-2001, 06:01 AM
Oh and I dont't think Sammo Hung is in the movie

------------------
Some may boast of prowess bold,
Of the school they think so grand,
But there's a Spirit, can ne'er be told,
It's the Spirit of Aggieland
------------------
------------------
UT Unlimited, your premier mapping site!
Ace82@unrealism.com
UT Unlimited (http://utu.unrealism.com)

Chang Style Novice
07-30-2001, 02:34 PM
I meant Sammo Hung vs. Lau Kar Leung in "Pedicab Driver"

although Sammo is in Jackie Chan's best movie - "Dragons Forever"

just to be a dissenting little such-and-so.

Wan Ma Kai
08-30-2001, 05:05 PM
I think the fight under the train between Jackie and Liu Chia Liang was HOT!!! Liu's fight choreography is IMO the best!!! How do you think Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon would have been if he worked on it???hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm something to think about the next time you are watching Lengedary Weapons of Kung Fu.