PDA

View Full Version : Demos from stage, hidden systems once banned...

extrajoseph
05-13-2008, 02:21 AM
From MrtlArtsChnnl about CLF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VaeG59Bbek&feature=related

diego
05-13-2008, 06:23 AM
From MrtlArtsChnnl about CLF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VaeG59Bbek&feature=related

Cool, thanks...what's up with the title...once banned?:)

extrajoseph
05-13-2008, 08:13 AM
I think it referred to the cultural revolution time when the practice of TCMA is banned.

This (the two China and the isolation of the past) is also the source of many conflicts within the CLF family because the ones who left China and the ones who stayed behind, develped their arts differently and being isolated, we have no means to exchange information unlike today.

Hopefully, with the internet, we can see what each others are doing now and learned from each other and stay together as a family. We have more similarities than differences, no matter what branches we belonged to.

CLFNole
05-13-2008, 08:18 AM
XJ:

Is it just me or does a lot of that video seem to be "mirrored" with everything looking left handed?

extrajoseph
05-13-2008, 08:38 AM
CLFNoble :-)

You've got sharp eyes! The first two demos, if you read the Chinese in the background, are back to front.

This clip is probably put together by Frank Primicias, who did the third demo. He must have shot the actions in a super 8 camera and then had them transferred to a digital format and got them back to front.

The rest seems OK to me.

XJ

CLFNole
05-13-2008, 08:44 AM
I notice something later on when Chan Sifu was teaching a dan do form and it looked left handed which would be okay if we were hung fut but seemed odd for CLF.

Good stuff though.

seisei
05-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Extrajoseph,
I agree with your statement that being apart from the mainland (in our case my sifu arrived in america in the 1920's) that we developed differently,and we had no means of visual or easy contact until the time of easy contact around the 1980's went the computers came into massive use by then we had developed and continued to develope what my sigung Yuen Hai had passed on to our master who learned directly from Master Hung-Sing, but quite a few of us are happy with what we have and still practice what we learned from our sifu, since sifu Lau Bun started teaching in sf chinatown in the 1930's we have people that went on to become teachers themselves and Yuen Hai's line continues,thanks to those like my sihing Jew Leong-- sifu Dino--sifu tenny Lee--sifu troy and also sifu frank who may seem somewhat abrasive at times but means well for the hung-sing system as passed on by sifu Lau Bun. After leaving china in the old days my sifu taught and developed the hs/clf according to the problems he confronted in America at that point as you say the others who stayed in china did their own thing in devoping.
m

extrajoseph
05-13-2008, 10:35 AM
I notice something later on when Chan Sifu was teaching a dan do form and it looked left handed which would be okay if we were hung fut but seemed odd for CLF.

Good stuff though.

That part is also reversed, you can see at 4:10, Chan Sifu's back has the CLF characters back to front.

CLFNole
05-13-2008, 10:48 AM
I was watching it last night and wasn't paying attention to the lettering. I just noticed the hands and was thinking to myself "that must be a pain in the arse to do with your left hand". Then after watching it a bit more I notice M. Wheelan's dai do and figured the film was reversed. Would be cool to think someone could do their fomrs as easily left-handed as right-handed but not very probable.

hskwarrior
05-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Sifu Chiu Siu Kai seems to have a combo of hsclf and chan family at the end of that clip. well, flavor at least.

extrajoseph
05-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Extrajoseph,

..... and also sifu frank who may seem somewhat abrasive at times but means well for the hung-sing system as passed on by sifu Lau Bun. After leaving china in the old days my sifu taught and developed the hs/clf according to the problems he confronted in America at that point as you say the others who stayed in china did their own thing in devoping.
m

I don't mind Frank being abrasive and develop his own thing, but I do mind him trying to change history by claiming Jeong Yim as our founder or co-founder. That would not only betrayed Lau Bun's teaching but also betrayed CLF as a whole. If Jeong Yim was the founder, then Lau Bun would have said so himself. He might meant well, but he is too dumb to realize the consequency of his action.

CLFNole
05-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Chiu Siu Kay's sifu, To Hon Jeung would be from Chan Koon Pak's hung sing, so it would make sense. I believe Chiu Siu Kay also may have studied with some others not sure but may Choy Kwong Yuen.

extrajoseph
05-13-2008, 11:07 AM
I was watching it last night and wasn't paying attention to the lettering. I just noticed the hands and was thinking to myself "that must be a pain in the arse to do with your left hand". Then after watching it a bit more I notice M. Wheelan's dai do and figured the film was reversed. Would be cool to think someone could do their fomrs as easily left-handed as right-handed but not very probable.

I have seen a left hander doing the Dan Do and Dai Do left sided, why not? It is quite an advatage. ;)

BTW, have you seen video clips posted up by M. Wheelan?

http://www.youtube.com/user/wailungma

CLFNole
05-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Nothing against the lefties I was just thinking for myself it would be very difficult to do something is smooth left-handed vs. right-handed. Although I can play spear well left-handed or right-handed things would go out the window if I put a dan do or a gau jeet bien in my left hand. :eek:

By the way I have seen M. Wheelan's clips and I like them. By the way how tall is he, he appears tall in the clips.

seisei
05-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Extrajoseph,
As far as what we were told.Sifu always said Hung sing was our founder,that was what he was told by yuen hai, then in the early 70's we heard from people comming to USA that chan heung was ,and after a while we finally settled in that what were originaly taught was what we went with adding that Hung Sing was the founder of OUR BRANCH especially after going to the Green Grass Monk which completly change his outlook and approach by his learning more monk things from him and more in depth what he had learned prior to this was now overshadowed by his new revelations that the monk developed in his hermitism.

extrajoseph
05-13-2008, 11:47 AM
I am not sure, have not seen him for many years, may be close to 6 feet. But judging from his roof top jong videos, he has put off a lot of weight lately.

He speaks perfect Cantonese, but I can't stand the way he writes them in English, he should get a Cantonese dictionery if he is going to write more stuff on CLF.:D

hskwarrior
05-13-2008, 11:52 AM
joseph, did u really have to try and insult me? did i insult u anytime recently for not knowing anything about hung sing clf? no one believes your chan fam version ofjeung yim. so y do u have to attack me?

extrajoseph
05-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Extrajoseph,
As far as what we were told.Sifu always said Hung sing was our founder,that was what he was told by yuen hai, then in the early 70's we heard from people comming to USA that chan heung was ,and after a while we finally settled in that what were originaly taught was what we went with adding that Hung Sing was the founder of OUR BRANCH especially after going to the Green Grass Monk which completly change his outlook and approach by his learning more monk things from him and more in depth what he had learned prior to this was now overshadowed by his new revelations that the monk developed in his hermitism.

I think that is fair enough, being a founder of a branch is not the same as the instigator of a whole system and that leaves everyone with a common ancestor, whether there is a GGM or not.

No one denied that Jeong Yim and Tarm Sam both created something stylistically different and they expressed the seeds of CLF differently, but the principles of what we do are the same and we do share a common ancestor in Chan Heung. Our shared history and our shared principles are what held us together and made us unique.

extrajoseph
05-13-2008, 12:13 PM
joseph, did u really have to try and insult me? did i insult u anytime recently for not knowing anything about hung sing clf? no one believes your chan fam version ofjeung yim. so y do u have to attack me?

Frank,

If I have insulted you, then please accept my apology. But think for a moment, if you are a dedicated CLF practitioner, then think of the b ig picture by keeping us together and do away with your separatist talks of Jeong Yim being the founder or co-founder of the whole of the CLF system.

You are insulting not only Chan Heung but Jeong Yim himself, for he was a devoted follower that did many great things for the development of CLF. Don't turn him into a Fan Guek Jak (a traitor).

XJ

Ben Gash
05-15-2008, 04:44 AM

We have a form where you repeatedly switch from right to left, it really is a major pain :(

CLFNole
05-15-2008, 07:37 AM
We also have some forms that have some sections that switch from right to left but the majority would be right-handed. We have some spear sets that are all left-handed, but to do a dai do or dan do form completely left-handed would be a royal pain.

Ben Gash
05-16-2008, 12:38 AM
Found a video of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grHAn-bTl3o