PDA

View Full Version : How do you measure Gung fu?.

diego
05-14-2008, 08:47 AM
You can measure looks, body fat and power...if you have cut muscles, low sag and can lift your body weight I would say you are in good shape. What is the test for a Black Belt's shape, or an Olympian Martial Artist's shape?. Jhoon Rhee mentioned in his TKD Pro days he did 1000 push ups every day...

What is yall fitness test to achieve black belt rank in your schools?

Is there a fitness test to get into the NBA and NFL, like if you can't do so many push ups you can't ball!?.

I was thinking about this randomly last night, I don't wish to be a Muay Thai fighter or a pro fighter, but it would be nice to be as fit and slick as one, so I started thinking how do you measure Gung Fu!?:D How fast is a MT Champs moves, and how long can they maintain power while shadowboxing.

Holla

WinterPalm
05-14-2008, 09:19 AM
It's all measured in fighting ability.
That's why there's fat MMA champs, and ripped guys that get KO'd daily.
Physique is not the best indicator. It can help you identify certain strengths or weaknesses, but that's about it.

diego
05-14-2008, 12:03 PM
It's all measured in fighting ability.
That's why there's fat MMA champs, and ripped guys that get KO'd daily.
Physique is not the best indicator. It can help you identify certain strengths or weaknesses, but that's about it.

:cool: makes sence...on the grand scheme of things chubby ass sumo would mess up the average martial art dude...thai champs are all fit as heck though...what's the fitness test for a MT champ?. I'm also curious what everyones black belt test is from a fitness perspective...I'm a hobbyist I have taken no tests but this summer I'm all about building my general fitness, elasticity and wind.

pz

Yao Sing
05-14-2008, 12:06 PM
With a Fu Meter, of course.

BTW, seen many fat guy in Thailand?

GLW
05-14-2008, 01:23 PM
I thought that was the person doing the measurement..and that they used a Tai Chi Ruler.

David Jamieson
05-14-2008, 01:35 PM
That is the proper use of the tai chi ruler. IE: to measure your kungfu.

golden arhat
05-14-2008, 01:41 PM
how nice are your pyjamas??

sean_stonehart
05-14-2008, 01:51 PM
In multiple inches... like everything else

lkfmdc
05-14-2008, 02:06 PM
metric system! when will you **** people finally switch to the metric system! :mad:

WinterPalm
05-14-2008, 03:26 PM
People in Thailand are all skinny...or mostly lest somebody bring up a picture to show me I'm wrong.

Diet will get you thin.
You want to be fit? Do some kettlebells. Those things will get you fit as heck especially if you have a heavy enough bell and do high reps. It's agony at first but the results are incredible.

David Jamieson
05-14-2008, 04:42 PM
I agree. Diet will keep you thin, exercise will grow your fitness.

Here's some good routines for kettle bells btw. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kettlebells.htm
Although, imo, many of the kb routines can be done with regular weights although at higher weights, regular weights are awkward and cumbersome.

so, you could actually start with regular dumbells at low weight and when you're ready to move up to where it's getting big, switch to kettlebells for better maneuvering postures.

bodhitree
05-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Reverse the polarity of your frog exaggerator and you have a kung fu geiger meter.....

David Jamieson
05-14-2008, 05:52 PM
oh, and flux capacitors are everything man. Everything.

bodhitree
05-14-2008, 06:26 PM
oh, and flux capacitors are everything man. Everything.

There's a river of slime down there!

Egg fu young
05-15-2008, 03:16 AM
I thought that was the person doing the measurement..and that they used a Tai Chi Ruler.

I thought the Tai Chi Ruler was that little man who slaps me when I mess up my "White Crane Spreads Wings.

Paul T England
05-15-2008, 03:47 AM
Ma Bo Challenge or Sam Sing competition.

TenTigers
05-15-2008, 04:13 AM
Yeu/mah, lik, ging, yeung, yi, faht, oh yeah, and an a$$whuppin.