PDA

View Full Version : How long will it be before Hollywood fights look as good as HK films?

cho
06-06-2001, 12:57 AM
By far if you compare a crappy Jackie Chan movie, like Who Am I? or Rush Hour, to any Hollywood 'action' movie, most would say Chan's fight scenes look a hell of a lot better. Same with Jet Li movies.

What Hollywood is missing is the intricacy in the movements. Apparently their choreographers think that to match HK fights, all they have to do is make them fly. How long will it be before they get it right?

the only western film that has even come close I'd say is Mortal Kombat.the hand-to-hand combat is more than just one-punch-one-block. I didn't think the fights in The Matrix were good at all?

Design Sifu
06-06-2001, 09:55 PM
I dug The Matrix's fight scenes . . .considering most of them had no fight experience at all.

Carie Ann Moss worked it best IMO.

We've got Wesley Snipes who seems to keep improving his own Fighting skills . . .on & off screen.
Has anyone seen ART OF WAR?

I guess a fundiment difference is Kungfu/Martial Arts choreography vs. brawls.

Movies like FIGHTCLUB and SNATCH seem to have improved the convention of a brawl on-screen. Still no where nere HK styled MA fights . . . but influenced.

RAY PARKS (Darth Maul, Toad) has signed up to star in IRON FIST the movie, based on Marvel comic's super martial artist. Hopefully he'll rise tomthe occasion.

On a side note I wonder if Hollywood's waiting for a "white" leading male that's as good an actor as a fighter to surface before really investing in Hong Kong style action. The age of Stalone, Schwarsenegger, Willis & Gibson style action hero is pretty much over. Snipe's seems to be the only bridge at this moment and I don't see any other actor really investing in such skills.

My $0.02

Losttrak
06-06-2001, 11:00 PM
... is in the one-liners. =p Jet Li could run up to kick his butt but Arnold would just shout, "Get to the chopper!!" and that would be it. Plus, once Jet Li found out that Arnold was married to a Kennedy, he would figure he had it bad enuff as it is... I am in a rare mood today. Forgive me. =p

Design Sifu
06-06-2001, 11:42 PM
I always thought Jackie Chan & Arlold would make a great team!!!

Think about it . . .

Super Kindergarden Cops

Kristoffer
07-03-2001, 11:28 AM
HELL YEAH

~K~
"maybe not in combat..... but think of the chicks man, the chicks!"

shaolinboxer
07-04-2001, 05:00 PM
I think doin a flick with Jackie would be just the thing to help Arnie's flagging career.

cho
07-05-2001, 10:24 PM
no way, Sammo Hung and Arnold