PDA

View Full Version : jademan

greyseal
06-25-2001, 11:02 PM
Anyone remember Jademan comics? They published 'Kung Fu' comics in the eighties. Force of Buddha's Palm, Drunken Fist, Oriental Heros, Blood sword, and Blood Sword Dynasty were some of the titles. What was your favorite of these, and why? Too bad they stopped publishing them. I thought they were great.

Nutt'nhunny
07-03-2001, 03:48 AM
Iron marshal. Just cuz. I liked ghost server from the blood sword. I have a chinese comic where ghost servant fights another queu cripple and beats him up. It rules. I always liked hero's kid, kim hung as well. The invincible swordsmen from drunken fist was tre cool. I liked blood sword the best. It was modern but they still pulled out chain whips and did lighting kicks on people. Oriental heroes was my second favorite. Gotta love all those guys. I can't read chinese, but I pick up issue 9,002 or whatever whenever I hit a chinatown. Too bad the us version only went up to 36.

What happened to Chan O Wan? I know Tiger beat the **** out of him and he lost his chi, but then what? Did red sect kick him out? I saw him in later chinese comics, but then later on, none at all. Who won the fight between Barbarian and Ghost Secretary? I'll assume it was Barbarian because he made appearences in later chinese issues.

shaolinboxer
07-04-2001, 04:58 PM
I liked Force of the Buddha's Paml the best.

Nine Continents will defeat you all!

Drunken1
07-04-2001, 08:56 PM
loved those books myself, Got my AOL Instant Messanger nickname from a monk that appeared in Force of Buddah's Palm, Bitter Zen! Liked the ornate art and super fancy technique names. The Swordsman from Drunken Fist was the Sweetest, even if he was a villain. Lets keep this discussion going!

shaolinboxer
07-05-2001, 07:48 PM
was the name Devilito? Vicious little bugger.

Actually, I have a coffee table that I covered with frames from the chinese versions of these comics and then laquered.

How's that for kungfu!?!?! :D

Were there any films ever made based on these comics directly...Storm Riders and its sequals come close....

Nutt'nhunny
07-09-2001, 10:08 PM
whats storm riders? Is it another name for "a man called hero"? What series is it based on?

I loved ghost servant in a man called hero, but he didn't do his kicking. Why didn't kim hung kick more ass with the purgatory umbrella?

shaolinboxer
07-10-2001, 04:49 PM
If I am not mistaken, Man Called Hero is the sequel to Storm Riders.

Drunken1
07-12-2001, 08:23 PM
There were some live action versions of the jademan stuff done, but they were Taiwanese Productions that didn't have much of a budget, there was a picture of the actors in the back of one of the comics, they had multicolored hair just like in the books. And the same Special effects team worked on A Man called Hero, but in plot it wasn't a sequel to Stormriders

greyseal
07-13-2001, 05:27 AM
I myself loved Drunken Fist, Force of Buddha's palm and Bloodswrod/B.S. Dynasty. THey published an oversized 'mag' of B.Sword. It has a gold cover, and it's in chinese. It has approximately 50 pages of artwork from The Blood sword, and in the middle there is a fold out of Hero doing somewhere in the neighborhood of a dozen sword techniques. It looks like a Kung Fu manual w/out the instructions. I always thought that the really mellow dud in the Blood Sword was cool. I can't remember his name. Willow? He was always half-asleep.
I didn't know that they still published those comics, even if they were in chinese. I'll have to go to Chinatown in NY and check it out.
Peace, in 9 pieces.

shaolinboxer
07-15-2001, 05:25 PM
Oh yes, these kids of comics are still coming out of hong kong, and they even come with cool miniature weapons! man, if I were 13 I'd have 'em all!

Design Sifu
09-05-2001, 11:35 PM
Actually wasn't A Man Called Hero based on the BLOOD SWORD series...

it's relation to Stormriders was based on the producers, actors, etc... I don't believe they were related sequel-wise...

Crimson Phoenix
09-06-2001, 11:40 PM
Indeed, Man called hero is not a sequel to Stormriders...a "real" Stormridesr 2" is in preparation

Design Sifu
10-16-2001, 01:05 AM
Do you think the "market" would have room to successfully publish a relatively authentic Kungfu Comic-book?

By "relatively authentic" I mean a book that depicts "kungfu" much more similar to Hong Kong cinema rather than Anime...