PDA

View Full Version : Mel-Gar Leopard Kung Fu?

gunglihchuan
05-17-2008, 01:55 PM
In the most current issue of Inside Kung Fu there was an article about a rare southern style of kung fu called Mel Gar. This style was supposedly a leopard kung fu style that is no longer practiced by itself.

It is taught by Grandmaster Chi-Chung Kwong who is a teacher of Lung Fu Ying Pai (Dragon Tiger Eagle system?).

This article was written by Jason William McNeil. This person is a freelance writer and have yet to find out the type and amount of training he has?

I have searched on the web and found nothing about Grandmaster Chi-Chung Kwong and Lung Fu Ying Pai (Dragon Tiger Eagle system).

I was wondering if anyone has found any information about this system or about Jason William McNeil's background?

Regards,

Steve

cerebus
05-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Judging by the photos in the article, I'd guess he holds high ranking in hairdressing, makeup and wardrobe design, and that he also holds the honorary title of "Simply Fabulous!".... :D:D:D

Yao Sing
05-17-2008, 03:14 PM
I thought Mel-Gar was from the planet Remulak, I mean France.

gunglihchuan
05-17-2008, 04:21 PM
I know that this article seemed very questionable but I just thought I would check and see.

One really has to wonder why inside kung fu magazine allows people without real kung fu experience or good journalistic ethics to publish these articles.

Regards,
Steve

cerebus
05-17-2008, 05:58 PM
because a monthly periodical of just 2 pages in length seems a bit silly?...

But not quite as silly as the author in those photos in the article.... :D

lkfmdc
05-17-2008, 06:10 PM
My understanding is that "Hung Sing Frank" did all the research and fact checking for that article :rolleyes:

While a magazine has to find content somewhere, anywhere! my lord, that was a steaming pile of crap!

David Jamieson
05-25-2008, 06:53 AM
not this cat, i gave up on ikf long ago. lol

B-Rad
05-25-2008, 06:46 PM
My local bookstore seems to have stopped carrying it. Just KFM, Asian Journal of Martial Arts (or whatever it's called :-P), Tai Chi, a TKD magazine, and some Budo magazine now. Haven't seen a Blackbelt Magazine there in a long time either, surprisingly.

Mulong
06-02-2008, 07:04 AM
With a hairdo like that you know right off the bat he has never been in a fight!

Worst off, you can't block a kick with a leopard fist.

It was truly a joke!

TenTigers
06-02-2008, 08:32 AM
With a hairdo like that you know right off the bat he has never been in a fight!

Worst off, you can't block a kick with a leopard fist.

It was truly a joke!

hmmm, I would think with a hairdo like that, he probably got in plenty of fights.:p

CLFNole
06-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Maybe with Brett Michaels, back in the day.

Shaolin Shi
06-03-2008, 07:50 PM
hmmm, I would think with a hairdo like that, he probably got in plenty of fights.:p

I don't think that getting beat up and possibly dragged into the bathroom for a swirlie are the same thing as "being in a fight".

"Being in a fight" usually implies that you at least threw a few punches or something.

As for IKF... that rag has always pretty much been the National Enquirer of martial arts journalism. At least back in the day they would feature an interesting article or two. Nowadays, I can't even stand to see the cover poking out of the magazine rack at my local supermarket. It's just embarassing.

dc_jowga
06-06-2008, 11:52 AM
brothers lets be positive, we dont want to be negative all the time. remember, all styles was new at one time, and people might not respect those arts at that time either.

the good side, is that it gave my students a lot of GREAT jokes! we have a black guy in my school, who has long dreadlocks, and he looks like that dude in the magazine, muscles and everything, man they let him have it everytime he comes to class (he is one of my advanced students).

so you see everything has a use....

TenTigers
06-06-2008, 02:13 PM
we have a guy who looks like Mel, or Fabio, or whatever his name is. But we don't make fun of him. He does hair really well, and since we will be coming out with our TenTigers line of swimwear, including "The Tiger Stripe" a men's thong in assorted colors and fabrics, including nylon, mink, leather, and burlap, we'll be needing a model...

lkfmdc
06-06-2008, 02:44 PM
we have a guy who looks like Mel, or Fabio, or whatever his name is. But we don't make fun of him. He does hair really well, and since we will be coming out with our TenTigers line of swimwear, including "The Tiger Stripe" a men's thong in assorted colors and fabrics, including nylon, mink, leather, and burlap, we'll be needing a model...

spartacus? :eek:

TenTigers
06-06-2008, 06:56 PM
that's couteau a' beurre, to you!

CLFNole
06-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Do ya like movies with gladiators?

ingchao
06-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Imagine what he could do with:

Mad Max- "The Passion of the Buddha: Man....... that was a long freakin' walk"

and the sequel to that sequel:

"Buddha- Beyond Thunderdome, 2 men enter.... only yo' momma leaves"

Insert DWI and Britney jokes here...................

GeneChing
06-11-2008, 09:55 AM
...My standard modus operandi would have been to merge this with the other inquiry on the TC Media forum (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51180), but I decided not to do so.

Long live Mel Gar! ;)

dc_jowga
06-13-2008, 08:43 AM
or you can merge the mel gar video with those "how to spar kung fu/karate/tae kwon do" videos, or the "phantom kung fu" video. i know they probably dont sell too many of those.

you can have the phantom kenpo, i mean kung fu, guy beat up the guy with the eyeliner (that's what we would do where i'm from).

i would by that video then...

phantom
08-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Does a genuine leopard style exist? Thanks in advance.

JGTevo
08-27-2008, 03:45 AM
File this one under bullshido? It's so prevalent in martial arts today that its become ridiculously easy to spot bullshido on the spot. It's like these people aren't even trying anymore. Mel Gar? Last time I laughed that hard was when an instructor wrote on his website that he learned Ching Chong Fist from the Shaolin Temple in Korea.

I'd be willing to believe a shaolin school/temple might've been established in South Korea(even though I've never heard of anything as such), but Ching Chong Fist? Honestly??? How lazy do you have to be to put that small amount of effort into your lie.