PDA

View Full Version : Stretching

wuseng33
05-17-2008, 04:12 PM
hey was just wondering if anyone could reccomend any stretches for ITB band in your leg. i have been having teouble with it for sometime and have seen physiotherapists but am just looking for some other opinions or ideas on the problem. any help would be greatly apprciated. If anyone has any other stretching related info they would like to share that would also be great.

kwaichang
05-17-2008, 05:00 PM
The ITB is very hard to stretch effectively Many that PT show do not have long term effect as they are held typically for 30 sec or so. to effectively stretch the ITB the stretch should be held atlest 1 minute or more per stretch. The tissues are very resistant to a quick stretch. Also try MFR from a trained therapist it is performed very slow and and in the direction of the fibers themselves. One ITB should take atlest 10 minutes to perform depending upon areas of adhesion. Something I like " I am not telling you to do this" is to buy a noodle for swimming and lay it on yhe floor as you lie on it it should run perpindicular to your leg find the adhesion and relax into it with your body weight I think the position looks something like sleeping Budha. It should take 10 to 15 min per leg to perform if you can take the pain KC

SteveLau
05-31-2008, 05:36 AM
Well, to begin with the topic, let me tell you gentlemen that I have accumulated several muscle injuries since 2000. One of the them is the ITB. I am sure the cause was running in the same direction around corners of the small parabolic track I used to jog at the time. Just as the sports expert sd, the inner track leg (my left) hurt. My right ITB also had the same problem but to a much lighter degree. I have already forgot when I felt pain in my right ITB. Currently, there is tightness in my left ITB, and the clicking occurs almost daily when I flex the knee.

For rehabilitation treatment, I agree stretching to a minute per leg is a good time length. At present, I use the sitting on 4 to stretch my ITBs. This exercise stretches the back part (bigger one) of the ITB muscles. It is also the part of the ITB which got injured and has adhesions most of the times. Since I had started to increase the stretching time from 30 seconds to 1 minute, the problem was reduced noticeably.

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong

David Jamieson
05-31-2008, 09:39 AM
Use of ballistic stretching, static stretching and heat wrapping will help as well. If you can find a particularly powerful liniment to help generate heat, that's always nice.

also, look into some yoga postures tat speak directly to your ailment.
I believe B.K.S Iyengar has published a book on how to treat a great deal of problems. there are likely others, but I am familiar with his.

Also, if you can afford or have insurance for a sports therapist specifically, that is also somewhere you can look.

good health to ya!