PDA

View Full Version : Would you...

Rhinosaur
05-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Hi, i came up with a prety abstract idea which some might see in different ways- i have been in quite a few fights and have done well (these are no rules, everything goes brawls) however i have no martial arts expierience at all- none. Now the abstract part- what if i was to rent myself to a dojo or whatever you call it, and be used to test skills in a situation like you are being mugged or somthing- like somone has been taking some kung fu lessons for a while and wants to see if he stands a chance in a street fight- call me up i show up and i attack him with everything i have (in a ring with apropriate protection) i think expierience in actuall fights is way more valuable then some training (not to bragg but i kicked the crap out of a browbelt back in highschool) now before i go around calling up martial arts places do you think this idea has any worth at all. Thanks.

Rhinosaur
05-18-2008, 05:26 PM
sorry but what did i do to deserve this title allready? i wasn't attacking martial arts in any way if thats the way you took it, the question i was posting is... do you think a mediocre martial artist would benifit from a controlled fight against what would be labled as a 'street fighter' i think the expierience gained from a fight really dose help in practically using teqniques learned. Sorry again if you took the post the wrong way

i think the black belt remark might have been what set you off- im just stating that im not some joe without any expierience...

TenTigers
05-18-2008, 05:32 PM
I will definately want to rent you, but on the following conditions:
1. post a pic of yourself
2. pic should have you in various costumes and clothing to simulate different scenerios, so as to make the "attacks" seem more real.
3. these are the outfits you should be wearing for the above pics:
1, Orange prison coveralls to simulate a prison assault
2. Gang colors-baggy jeans, big T-shirt, bandanna, shades
3.Biker type-jeans, leathers, chains
3.Catholic High School Dress-prefferably plaid skirt with a white button down shirt. The buttons should be sewn on with only a little thread so they pop when the shirt is ripped open
4. Nun's Habbit.-the kind with the wings so you look like Sally Field
5. I'd like to see you in one of those cute little Betsy Johnson sundresses
6. definately a ZZ Topp chick-short shorts,red sparkle spike heels, anklets,and cheap sunglasses
7. My friend's sister. I will e-mail you a pic
8. your mom

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-18-2008, 05:47 PM
I think it would be a great idea!

What city/state are you in, and what types of Martial Arts schools are near you?

golden arhat
05-18-2008, 05:53 PM
i guess shooting wildly at someone is much better than learning to shoot :rolleyes:

Mook Jong
05-18-2008, 10:21 PM
I'm curious, why did you join this board if you have no MA experience?

banditshaw
05-18-2008, 10:30 PM
You would have to have some sort of ''Death Waiver'' drafted up. The instructor who's school it is shouldn't be liable in case there was some kind of ''accident''.

jdhowland
05-19-2008, 07:29 AM
[QUOTE=Rhinosaur;862072] ...do you think a mediocre martial artist would benifit from a controlled fight against what would be labled as a 'street fighter' QUOTE]

Nope.

What golden arhat said applies.

A "mediocre" martial artist is usually a student and can benefit more from concentrating on the power and technique of his style than by a contest using protective gear. If done on a regular basis it could be good exercise, though.

jd

David Jamieson
05-19-2008, 07:46 AM
you want to hire yourself out as a meat puppet to take beatings...

hmmmmn, you really should be trolling fetish sex magazines instead of MA clubs.
You'll get a beating and some C&B torture and you will get payed for it!

hooray!

BoulderDawg
05-19-2008, 10:16 AM
The problem would be with liability. No school owner in his right mind would hire you to participate in a "street Fight" scenario.

However you're right.....years of martial arts does not necessarily make one a badass in the streets. A proper school teaches the way to avoid the fight and to defend yourself if it does happen. A 43 year old guy, 5'5" 130, is not going to slug it out with a 23 year old, 6'4" 260, however through his training he can learn to defend...this is the real skill.

gwa sow
05-19-2008, 11:28 AM
nurture this one - he has the most troll potential of any seen for some time

yep, speaking of,....were is mega____?

Lucas
05-19-2008, 11:31 AM
With the right control, I think this could be a helpful event for a lot of people.

I would also wager that once you got your ass handed to you by someone who is truly top notch (sorry, you can buy a blackbelt online for 20 bucks, or get one in 1 year at a mcdojo) you might find, being a fighter yourself, martial arts has much to offer those who like to fight.

I had a friend who loved guitar. He was really, really good. He could bust out some of the craziest stuff. Once he took music lessons, he was off the charts.....

Rhinosaur
05-19-2008, 12:17 PM
lota negitive remarks here...

Tigers: Im having a little trouble finding a sundress in my size...

Golden: Well yea give a guy some training and hes going to best somone without it, but take a guy who has expierience but no formal training and i would put my money and the 2nd

Dave: fetish sex magazines... ill look into it....

Jong: I joined this forum mainly to see if this was a practical idea- i have some interest in martial arts and thought i could learn some stuff about kung fu in teh procces- however i think judo is a more practical style which would add on to my current skills- but i could be wrong and kung fu might be a better option.

Lucas: Im sure a top notch kung fu'er could lay me out no trouble. Again i have some interest in kung fu and might take a few classes to test it out.

If somone is being trained in self defence i think the expierience gained from 1 close to real fight is worth allot- its like the first time doing anything, you are nervous and not really sure what is going on (if you have ever played school football or somthing- think back to your first real game) and also- you guys are probly trained in allot of different kicks and stuff right? do you think some of the things have any real use in a fight? if you are able to test your skills in a mock fight you will know what is really practical if you do get mugged or somthing. I mean try hammer kicking a guy- if your off by an inch you are done- allot of parts to martial arts are practiced as more of an artform or a dance and not for actually fighting.

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-19-2008, 12:23 PM
however i think judo is a more practical style which would add on to my current skills- but i could be wrong and kung fu might be a better option.

Reply]
www.McDojo.com called, it wants it's MMA/judo troll back.

Lucas
05-19-2008, 01:36 PM
I say give it a shot.

My point in my last post is that, regardless of the style you choose, you will probably get hooked on MA. Just like most of us here did when we started to delve deeper into the roots.

I would give a street brawler/scrapper the cash up on people with no experience. This includes most martial artists.

Ive seen too many people over confident, and over eager to use skills they have never truly used before get a nice lesson in humility.

Oso
05-19-2008, 06:54 PM
sorry but what did i do to deserve this title allready?

1. recent sign up
2. no other activity besides this thread
3. immediately starting a thread that is so obviously a trolling thread that you should be ashamed of your master for teaching you so poorly and immediately kill yourself. Disclaimer: this is meant in jest. If you decide to off yourself, it's not my fault.

cjurackpt: 1
new troll: 0

Mr Punch
05-19-2008, 07:04 PM
lota negitive remarks here...Yeah, ignore the biatches...

But then again, post a silly question, get a...

Tigers: Im having a little trouble finding a sundress in my size......LOL and fair play on taking it well!

As people said: while dealing with naturally talented agressive fighters in a controlled setting is probably very good practice for most low-intermediate level MA practitioners, the liability aspect makes it completely impossible in most places.

Welcome aboard, and have fun with the forum. Troll! :D

Lee Chiang Po
05-19-2008, 09:26 PM
To answer your question, it is not a good idea. You can not do a controlled fight. Not and make it realistic. It would have to be an all out thing to make it work the way it is designed to work. Both sides actually attempting to kill or seriously injure the other. Unless of course it was some sort of sport fighting, which is something else all together.
In my life time I have known some people that have never taken a lesson in any Martial Art. However, their fist fighting techniques would in themselves add up to a martial art. Some of the most skilled kicking and punching I have ever seen. Maybe not a complete system, but a series of moves and attacks that work very well, and if one is not really careful could get the heck kicked out of them.
So, if you are that good, you would have to actually attempt to knock your opponent out or at least knock him down and kick the snot out of him. On the other hand he would have to make every attempt to do the same to you. Someone is most likely to become seriously injured in this type of encounter. You or your adversary neither one could wear gloves or head gear. It would alter the effects of your fighting style or techniques.
So, no martial arts school is going to allow this sort of thing due to liabilities. And you would be very likely to be seriously hurt. If you really want to get down and roll, just find a good dojo and join up. Do it right with people that also like to do it.