PDA

View Full Version : Bikram Yoga as an addition to your training.

The Willow Sword
05-19-2008, 07:03 AM
Well i dont practice as much as i used to, been busy doing other things, new career etc etc. I will do my mish mash of routines when i have time. In addition to it i started doing the Bikram Yoga Practice last year. Man what a practice that is.

you are in a heated room doing 26 postures half of them standing the other half lying on the floor. you sweat your a$$ off.

Anyone else do this style of Yoga? I love it, but it is a bit draining and when combining this practice with Kung fu, it feels like i need an extra day to recover from it all.

Peace, TWS

Black Jack II
05-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Yoga is the shiznit.

David Jamieson
05-21-2008, 06:16 AM
I do Yoga.

Ashtanga Hatha Yoga. It's difficult, but me and the wife love it.

I did Bikram for a couple of years.
It's also Ashtanga Hatha Yoga, but the twist is it is done in a heated room. The 26 postures are put together from the larger body, combined with a hot humid room and distributed as a style.

As a canadian, I'm not big at pretending to be in India while doing Yoga. lol.
The point of Bikram is to emulate the conditions in India where the yogis do their moving and static asanas in insufferable heat.

it's interesting, but it is equally as interesting to simply do yoga. It's good for you. You will also discover a great deal of material within Yoga that you also find in Sil Lum or Shaolin Kungfu or any buddhist kungfu for that matter which has huge influences from Indian practices such as prana veda and yoga which is the foundation for many qigongs and inclusive practices in shaolin.

Its good stuff!

The Willow Sword
05-21-2008, 07:28 PM
The point of Bikram is to emulate the conditions in India where the yogis do their moving and static asanas in insufferable heat.

And it works in my opinion. Far too often did i see Hatha yoga practitioners and from other styles come in to the bikram classes because they injured themselves due to doing postures in a cold room or they were not warmed up sufficiently.

The heat helps you detox as you sweat and it also warms your muscles and tendons so that when you are doing the asanas you have less risk of injury. So i think the yogis doing their practice in the hot and humid climate in India are right on track.
Peace,TWS

imperialtaichi
05-22-2008, 12:44 AM
I love Bikram Yoga too.

Bit difficult to concentrate when the hot sweaty dripping wet female instructor called Jordon is doing the class though...

David Jamieson
05-22-2008, 07:14 AM

And it works in my opinion. Far too often did i see Hatha yoga practitioners and from other styles come in to the bikram classes because they injured themselves due to doing postures in a cold room or they were not warmed up sufficiently.

The heat helps you detox as you sweat and it also warms your muscles and tendons so that when you are doing the asanas you have less risk of injury. So i think the yogis doing their practice in the hot and humid climate in India are right on track.
Peace,TWS

I can appreciate what you're saying, but, if it is -20C outside and you come bopping out of a 90 minute session in +30C, then your chances of getting a boinged muscle are frankly even greater.

if you live in california, or some similarly temperate climate, the shift from 25 - 30 back to 25 isn't so bad. IN summertime in canada, not so bad, in winter time, not so good.

s'all im sayin :)

sanjuro_ronin
05-22-2008, 08:14 AM
I have to ask, how the F do you guys find time to do all that ??

MA, Yoga, Strength training, HIIT, etc, etc...

You guys have a time stopping machine ??:confused:

David Jamieson
05-23-2008, 10:35 AM
I have to ask, how the F do you guys find time to do all that ??

MA, Yoga, Strength training, HIIT, etc, etc...

You guys have a time stopping machine ??:confused:

This is the second time I've seen this question.

Family life getting taxing for you? :)

Anyway, I train for 1 to 2 hours daily and everyday is something different but equal in intensity unless it's a recovery day or week which is generally all cardio and yoga.

I don't have Kids and I don't watch much tv at all and I don't have that intense of a social life that I can't meet my personal commitments to myself.

And when training, there is no world outside, there is no phone and there is no disturbance at all. I just shutt he world out and train. Feels great, everytime.

sanjuro_ronin
05-23-2008, 10:57 AM
This is the second time I've seen this question.

Family life getting taxing for you? :)

Anyway, I train for 1 to 2 hours daily and everyday is something different but equal in intensity unless it's a recovery day or week which is generally all cardio and yoga.

I don't have Kids and I don't watch much tv at all and I don't have that intense of a social life that I can't meet my personal commitments to myself.

And when training, there is no world outside, there is no phone and there is no disturbance at all. I just shutt he world out and train. Feels great, everytime.

LMAO !
Maybe you are right, maybe family life is getting taxing, actually and in all seriousness, even though I train twice a day and 5-6 days a week, I very rarely repeat the same workout.

The Willow Sword
05-24-2008, 09:41 AM
And i got no kids and probably wont procreate any. I have a girlfriend who doesnt impose any conditions on my "ME" Time:) So yeah i got time to do things. Plus i am a massage therapist now and i work 4 days a week and make fairly decent $$(hehe sometimes). the other 3 days are for recreation and hobbies.

Peace,TWS

David Jamieson
05-31-2008, 10:02 AM
so, are more of your clients fat hairy people or hot athletic chicks?

i think if the odds were better, I'd grab an rmt cert lickity split! lol

Shaolin Wookie
05-31-2008, 10:12 AM
And i got no kids and probably wont procreate any. I have a girlfriend who doesnt impose any conditions on my "ME" Time:) So yeah i got time to do things. Plus i am a massage therapist now and i work 4 days a week and make fairly decent $$(hehe sometimes). the other 3 days are for recreation and hobbies.

Peace,TWS

Can I ask you a question about SD, TWS, without it being construed as antagonistic? You surely practiced the I Chin Ching. Now, I'm not big on the hissing breathing, I just do deep breathing, but surely you see (since many postures are yoga postures) the deep simliarity between the two, right? It's about stretching and static postures (well, some are moving). So, what differentiates them, in your mind?