PDA

View Full Version : What Weapons Forms Did You Learn First?

TaichiMantis
05-21-2008, 08:24 AM
I'm especially interested in hearing from the TCPM or CCK TCPM folks.

The first weapon form I learned was yum sao gwun, done here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTCzzFsp95I) by Mr. Japheth Leung, and here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTCzzFsp95I) at Chiu Chuk Kai's 79th birthday celebration.

The second was a sabre form, si fung dao, done similar to this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYVLoztAvAw)(form starts at :50, first time I've seen it done outside of my class)

Has anyone here learned these forms? ...just curious :o

gunglihchuan
05-22-2008, 10:04 AM
I learned the following single person CCK TCPM weapon forms in this order

Ho Gun: Monkey Staff

Sh'r Feng Dao: Blade Testing Broadsword

Bagua Lan Mun Dao: Guarding the Door Broadsword in Eight Directions

Say Moon Chiang: Four Directional Spear

Regards,
Steve

mantis108
05-23-2008, 11:56 AM
I believe Hong Kong Kwoon taught the Yin Shou Gun first and the Shi Feng Dao second. I actually learned Yu Huan Dao first as well as the Chinese two sectional staff, which is my favorite from my mentor, Galen Fok, before I went back to Hong Kong. Of course, the sword, 7 section whip chain, and rope dart are consider the specialty of GM Chiu.

Mantis108

ironfenix
05-23-2008, 08:02 PM
I believe that I learned WL rt. hand stick and then continous broadsword and flute I believe were my first

cerebus
05-23-2008, 09:23 PM
First weapon should always be "numchucks". And it MUST be spelled "numchucks", none of that dam "nunchaku" garbage! NUMCHUCKS all the way mang!!! :D

David Jamieson
05-24-2008, 07:07 AM
most, if not all shaolin based systems will teach staff first, big knife second and then all other categories come after that.

cerebus
05-24-2008, 08:59 AM
On a more serious note, the first thing I learned was staff. Then a two-person staff set in which one side uses mainly thrusting attacks and the other uses mainly circular strikes. This was later done with spear and kwan dao, so that the same form was basically teaching usage of all three weapons. A very cool set to train.

Seppukku
05-24-2008, 12:08 PM
The first set I learned was a two-man naginata vs. broadsword form. It was called Admiral Kwan friggin' beats the hell out of the pirate invader. Due to a weak low block and slash maneuver, the two-man form quickly became a one-man show, and the pirate invader was carried out on a stretcher. I did some really cool spins and a butterfly twist as I cha'd. Nobody even noticed the ambulance.

masherdong
05-28-2008, 06:43 AM
I learned staff first, then broadsword, sai and now, I just started spear.

ironfenix
05-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Mark,
Your shifu gave you wah lum double sai. Very nice. I personally like that one. Good luck on spear!

masherdong
05-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Mark,
Your shifu gave you wah lum double sai. Very nice. I personally like that one. Good luck on spear!

Yes, I have the sequence of the double sai. Now, I need to make it more "kung fooey". Meaning, faster and smoother. Hmmm, sounds like everthing else that I have also needs to be that way too! Oh well, just add it to my list. lol

Yes, spear will be interesting. Sifu gave me some wrist exercises to make them stronger for when I have to hold the spear with one hand. At least I havent made any holes in the walls yet! lol