yeshe
05-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Spinal aid is a therapry offered by chiropractors.It involves what they call
non surgical spinal decompresion
any one heard of it ?
done it ?
know something about it?
have an opinion?
My mother is in constant pain from spinal stenosis.

kfman5F
05-21-2008, 04:26 PM
A friend of mine who had spinal surgery called them and they said that if one has had surgery they will not take you. That's all I know about it. Good luck to your mom.

David Jamieson
05-31-2008, 10:03 AM
not a chiropractor but i have heard of this and it is a combination of stretch postures and traction.

jdhowland
06-08-2008, 12:40 PM
One thing to be aware of is that there are different schools of chiropractic in this country and they operate from different theoretical bases. The old concept that everything from headaches to housemaid's knee can be cured by manipulating the tissues surrounding spinal nerve roots was debunked long ago. Stenosis is a narrowing of the vertebral channel and not as easy to treat for pain relief as a collapsed disc. If she trusts a particular DC she may want to try it but make sure she stays away from the bonecrackers whose business is based on quick-fix five-to--fifteen-minute modalities instead of carefull diagnosis. She might want to check with a DO. Osteopaths also do spinal manipulation techniques.

Good luck. Life is never easy when a loved one is in pain.

jd

jdhowland
06-09-2008, 01:37 PM
it's basically a traction table;

Is that the one with the discs that roll against the paraspinal muscles? I used to work for a chiropractor who had one and insisted i try it. Didn't care for it. I saw it as a crude labor saving device for therapists who couldn't make time for more hands-on treatment.

I have seen a lot of people respond well to traction tables, though.

cjurakpt
06-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Is that the one with the discs that roll against the paraspinal muscles?
no, basically a flat table that separates while you are strapped in at the shoulders and pelvis;

I used to work for a chiropractor who had one and insisted i try it. Didn't care for it. I saw it as a crude labor saving device for therapists who couldn't make time for more hands-on treatment.
I've never used one, I always thought it was something that didn't require a PT level of skill to apply successfully (e.g. - an aide could easily be trained in that);
I don't know about saving time though - it takes a while to strap someone in and you are supposed to monitor them, at least intermittently; guess it depends on the volume you run

I have seen a lot of people respond well to traction tables, though.
I have seen that as well; but many times not as efficiently as could have been with good manual, IMHO; although for obese patients, I can see it as a good option