PDA

View Full Version : Best old school martial arts movie?

NorthernMantis
07-15-2001, 02:41 AM
I heard from a friend that Dirty Ho is supposedly the king of old school movies.Is this right?It's supposed to have Gordon Liu with an all star cast.

If not does anyone know any better ones?

"Always be ready"

Ky-Fi
07-15-2001, 03:12 AM
Dirty Ho is out now on widescreen DVD, and it's a great movie----the final 3 on 2 fight is amazing. But also on the shelves now is the widescreen Fist of the White Lotus(also starring Gordon Liu)--and I would put this one near or at the top of my list of old school kung fu for the quantity and quality of fight scenes (although it's a bit ridiculous at times :)).

Jimbo
07-15-2001, 07:50 AM
Shaolin Challenges Ninja (Heroes of the East) starring Gordon Liu is another top old school MA film.

Of course, Master Killer.

Shaolin Martial Arts, starring Fu Sheng.

My Young Auntie, starring Lau Kar-Leung.

Men From the Monastery, starring Fu Sheng, Chi Kuan-Chun.

Exacutioner From Shaolin, starring Chen Kuan-Tai.

All these movies show complex, traditional and/or short-hand moves no longer seen in the new movies.
Jim

NorthernMantis
07-16-2001, 03:26 AM
Thanks

"Always be ready"

Jimbo
07-16-2001, 04:37 AM
Oops, forgot to mention another very good one...also starring Gordon Liu, called Martial Club (U.S. title: Instructor of Death). Especially the final fight in the alley between Gordon, playing Wong Fei-Hong, and Wong Lung-Wei, playing a northern fighter. The north vs. south movie choreography is very well-done.
Jim

RAYNYSC
07-17-2001, 04:24 AM
Here are a few of the picks that I would add to this list....

7 GrandMasters

Death Chambers

Ten Tigers of Kwangtung

Tiger over the wall

Legend of a fighter

Lengendary Weapons of Kung Fu

Two on the road

RAYNYSC

greyseal
07-19-2001, 04:53 AM
Recently saw the Ten Tigers of Kwantung. It's my new favorite of the moment. Gotta love the end. What a headache.

Crimson Phoenix
07-22-2001, 12:34 AM
huhh? no one mentionned "martial arts of Shaolin" from Liu Cha Liang (Lau Kar Leung) with Jet Li?
****** go see it now!!!
And don't forget stuffs from Yuen Woo Ping (before his name was used to promote any movie with digital gong fu in it) like "Dreadnought" or "Magnificient Butcher".
A couple among many treasures...

EmptyCup
07-27-2001, 06:13 AM
how come no one mentioned the Wing Chun practioner's bible, "The Prodigal Son" starring Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung??? Made in 1981 but one of the best martial arts movies ever made because it actually showcased Wing Chun techniques and concepts...

Black_Talon
07-27-2001, 08:03 AM
The Prodigal Son is awesome!!!!

That's my pick, (so far :) it may change later as I see more movies)

------------------
Some may boast of prowess bold,
Of the school they think so grand,
But there's a Spirit, can ne'er be told,
It's the Spirit of Aggieland
------------------
------------------
UT Unlimited, your premier mapping site!
Ace82@unrealism.com
UT Unlimited (http://utu.unrealism.com)

Chang Style Novice
07-27-2001, 02:44 PM
Good Lucking Ford, there's a lot of great ones, and I agree with every selection on the list (that I've seen.) A few I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Mad Monkey Kungfu, Knockabout, The Victim, Dance of the Drunk Mantis, Death Duel of Mantis, Five Fingers of Death, The Chinatown Kid, Five Deadly Venoms, Operation Scorpion, Ninja's Deadly Trap, Duel to the Death

and a special mention for "Drunken Tai Chi" for being Donnie Yen's first movie and for containing prehaps the most ridiculous scene ever, summarized below

Donnie Yen is fleeing from Corey Yuen, and stops to rest on a bridge (oh, yeah, that's safe.) He hears a strange noise and looks up to see...Corey Yuen charging him on a 10 foot tall free-rolling hamster wheel, crushing everything in his path!

Now that's a practical weapon - small, easy to hide and carry, and deadly in virtually any situation.

Rory
07-27-2001, 07:40 PM
his movies are awsome he like a legend in china the 2 movies that are out here are magnificent butch with sammo hung and dreadnaught with yuen bao

nightair
07-27-2001, 08:40 PM
"Crippled Masters"no joke it is a very interesting movie...

eviljungle
08-27-2001, 10:30 PM
Jade Claw is a fantastic early Yuen Brothers movie. The early Chan movies are always cool too.

Wan Ma Kai
08-28-2001, 12:25 AM
My favorites are any movies with the Liu brothers that show training scenes. These movies seem to have traditional kung fu featured.Here is my list:
1)The Master Killer (36 Chambers)
2)Legendary Weapons of Kung Fu
3)Fist of the White Lotus
4)The Martial Club (I like the girl in that one)
5)My Young Auntie (same girl from Martial Club and Legendary Weapons of Kung Fu)
6)Dirty Ho
Oh yeah, the girl I mentioned before is named Kara Hui Ying Hung. She did a photo shot for Playboy (Hong Kong I think) in the late 80's or early 90's. Does anybody have any current info about her?

Jimbo
08-29-2001, 01:11 AM
Wan Ma Kai:
I have seen Hui Ying-Hung in a tape that's out (probably you can find it at some video stores for about $10) called Deadly China Dolls. It's a documentary of several women of the kung-fu movies. She does a brief interview in Chinese but a translator speaks over her in English.

After her work with Shaw Brothers, she appeared in lots of modern gangster-type films which IMO were inferior to her work at Shaw under Lau Kar-Leung (Liu Chia-Liang). Also appeared in the '80s in a movie filmed in China called Legend of Drunken Tiger. Though not a Shaw film, it's an okay movie.
Jim

Wan Ma Kai
08-29-2001, 03:24 PM
Jim I saw her in the Drunk Tiger movie. Her fighting looked good even though she wasn't directed by Liu Jia Liang. You should check out a movie called Stage Door Johny. She's in that one too. It a movie that is set around a Chinese Opera troupe. There are some other familiar actors in this movie too (Ken Lo is one of them). I have a chinese friend that told me that alot of the HK movies stars after they retire from movies, move to US and Canada. She said NY is a popular spot and California is too.Maybe I should look for her in NYC??

phoenix-eye
09-02-2001, 01:22 AM
Anyone seen Shaolin Drunken Monk (I think that is correct title) with Gordon Liu.

Its going cheap in the local shop - thought I might buy it. Meant to be about Mantis and 5 animals. Any good?

"We had a thing to settle so I did him"
Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

Black_Talon
09-02-2001, 09:22 AM
Shaolin Drunken Monk is a pretty good movie, but it's no where near as good as Master Killer which also stars Gordon Liu.

Still...it's a decent kung-fu flick although it's kinda "cheap" looking.

IMO this movie is a rental and not a buy, unless you are a hardcore Gordon Lui fan

http://utu.unrealism.com/AceScreens/avatar.gif
------------------
------------------
Ace82@unrealism.com

Chang Style Novice
09-02-2001, 03:57 PM
I agree with the Aggie (jeez, I can't believe I said that! :D )

Black_Talon
09-02-2001, 08:59 PM
lol :D :D

thx t-sipper :)

http://utu.unrealism.com/AceScreens/avatar.gif
------------------
------------------
Ace82@unrealism.com

Ky-Fi
09-04-2001, 06:47 PM
Hui Yin Hung---what a cutie pie! She was always my favorite kung fu actress. She also was a villain in a pretty good wire-fu/fantasy movie from 1993 called "Zen of Sword". Unfortunately, she gets her head lopped off in the end :(

Wan Ma Kai
09-04-2001, 11:26 PM
Ky-Fi I saw Zen Of Sword, and it hurt me to see her head get choped off!! I love that girl!! You have to check her out in a movie called Stage Door Johny. Ken Lo (Jackie Chans old bodyguard)is in it too.

honorisc
09-06-2001, 02:19 AM
Dirty Ho, shows Kung Fu that is masterd (not merely learned or expert). Theoretically people can challenge each other without much warning. And this is welcomed at higher levels. It must be boring being good~ and refreshing to meet someone near your level of skill. In such cases when you're dying, you realize what you should have trained for more earlier. But these people have the comprehension to stop short enough to be the undoubted better without killing, and it was fun for both...

The Last Dragon is old school in concepts.~

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

Ky-Fi
09-06-2001, 03:50 PM
Thanks WMK--I'll have to check out Stage Door Johnny. I think my favorite Hui Yin Hung scene is in 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, where she uses a straight sword to fight that guy that had taken her family's kwandao, and eventually takes the kwandao away from the guy. Hmmmm....come to think of it, she really takes a beating in that movie too. That poor girl! :)

Wan Ma Kai
09-09-2001, 03:01 AM
Ky-Fi I love to watch her in action. If you have seen the movie MY Young Auntie, then you must remember her fight at the costume party. She was using a straight sword against a guy that was using a fencing sword (foil). She also has a fight later in the movie against a guy I think it was Wilson Tong. They both used straight swords. Hot, hot, hot, hot!!!

Rory
09-11-2001, 02:56 AM
DREADNAUGHT the best movie ever

omegapoint
09-15-2001, 01:40 AM
Definitely "Enter the Dragon". This movie really set things off!!!

eviljungle
09-16-2001, 03:24 PM
Yeah that's the one that got me started. :eek:

sultanpro
09-25-2001, 04:27 AM
chinese super ninjas also called "5 elements"
kid with the golden arms
five masters of shaolin
dreadnaught

then anything s.b

skard

Nevermind
11-12-2002, 11:32 AM
Any movie with Alexander Fu Sheng. It is often said, that if he hadn't have died so young (29), Jackie Chan would not have reached the stardom that he has today. In my opinion, his kung fu comedy was unmatched. It wasn't silly like Jackie's. He was just an all around smartass who knew when to stop acting silly and kick some butt. He was Liu Chia Liang's first private student. Some of his best movies are Five Masters of Death, Chinatown Kid (sort of a Chinese version of Scarface), Disciples of Death, Death Chamber. If you really want to see bravery in its truest form check out Bloody Avengers. It stars Fu Sheng, Liang Chia Jen, and Chi Kuan Chun. It tells the story of the Boxer Rebellion and features some good battles between Kung Fu fighters and armed soldiers. Good stuff. Oh yeah, like someone else mentioned. Any movie by the Shaw Brothers is worth watching.