PDA

View Full Version : I wonder if this Black Tiger Style Has anything to do with Shantung Black

Firehawk4
05-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Does anybody know if this Black Tiger style from Northern Mainland China have anything to do with Shantung Black Tiger ?

Firehawk4
05-24-2008, 09:23 PM
http://www.chinesemartialarts.eu/MASTER%20MENG%20ZHAO-XUN.html

David Jamieson
05-25-2008, 06:49 AM
Hard to say. It doesn't say where it's from and it says he spent a lot of time in Chengdu which is west of shantung in szechuan province.

There is a Gansu Black tiger Style from teh North on teh mainland. heck, tere's tons of kungfu styles that most of us have never even heard of because most of us are tied to a school that is either southern, from the diaspora, kmt based and so on. So mainland and Northern chinese styles of kungfu are still kind of rare to most.

B-Rad
05-25-2008, 06:48 PM
There's some kind of black tiger from the Emei mountain area, but not exactly sure what it's related to. It's a popular name in kungfu.

David Jamieson
05-27-2008, 05:59 AM
Not all that popular, although, you do find inference in other styles.
Such as in names of techniques that are found in larger systems like Hung Kuen and Choy Lay Fut.

In my experience and as far as I know at this time there is:

Shantung Black Tiger. - This style to me looks like a Shaolin style like arhat boxing with not as much emphasis on the shape of tiger as is commonly seen in other systems.

Fu Jow Pai Black Tiger - Tiger Claw style has lots written about it and the main proponent of this style says the style is a mix of Black Tiger proper and Hung Kuen.

Hark Fu Muhn - Black Tiger Gate. This style is associated with the above black tiger style, but it's not really clear as to what exactly the system contains.

Gansu Black Tiger - Very little information. Almost a footnote in time, no western pracs.

Shaolin Black Tiger - Recent and new addition to the Shaolin proper curriculum.

Toisan Hak Fu Pai - Black Tiger style from Hung Kuen beginnings. Similar to Fu Jow pai in shape but not in essence.

Wong Ying Home
05-27-2008, 07:07 AM
The teacher in question ShrFu Ji Jian Cheng is one of my teachers, the black tiger system he practices is a his families style. I'll look through my notes to see what other info I can add to the webpage info.

Firehawk4
07-12-2008, 12:13 AM
Did you ever find out any more about this Black Tiger style ?

Wong Ying Home
07-14-2008, 08:42 AM
My notes on Shrfu Ji, don't contain much detail on the black tiger only notes on his grandfather, and Ji's background. When I speak to him next I will try to ask more detailed questions on the black tiger