PDA

View Full Version : techniques for staff with 3-6 meters / wing chun

luohan
05-29-2008, 08:04 AM
hi
i heard there is a form of wing chun called 'dragon staff' developed by boatman that uses a staff that measure around 6 meters (they use to push their barges with it).. is that true?

what are the weapons trained in wing chun style?

anyone has info on forms with staffs that are 3 - 6 meters height in cma in general?

David Jamieson
05-29-2008, 09:59 AM
wing chun has the 6.5 dragon pole set and the 8 cut knives set, 3 empty hand sets and a pattern to play on the wooden man as well as drills such as sticky hands. It's a small system that takes a relatively short time to learn and master. 2 - 3 years for most practitioners. Provided they are diligent and do their practice. Other styles can take longer because they contain more sets.

Also, it is fair to say that because you ahve learned a pattern doesn't mean you are a master of it.

You should be able to take a set and extrapolate the techniques from within and define and apply each forwards backwards and side to side round and round, under and over. If not, keep practicing! :)

All Shaolin styles have Staff. Staff is generally anything from eyebrow height to longer.

luohan
05-30-2008, 10:34 AM
ah ok. but you mean that in wing chun there is a set for a staff that measures 6.5 meters and there are not a set for a more usual staff that measures around the height of the practitioner?
just curious
here in brazil there is a master named chiu ping lok that trained hung tao choi mei gar/chow gar/zhou jia with his uncle Cham Mun and also trained with master Si Pak (Si mei Kwan/ Pa Kua Kuan and qi gong) from whom he learned the si mei kwan - rat's tail staff that uses a staff of 2.5-3 meters

David Jamieson
05-31-2008, 09:45 AM
6.5 isn't the length of the pole, it is referring to points.

sorry to confuse that.

there are variety of shaolin staff methods from many styles.

ranging from long staffs to eyebrow height.

each has it's own peculiarities to some degree.

luohan
06-01-2008, 01:34 PM
6.5 isn't the length of the pole, it is referring to points.

sorry but i didnt understand what do you mean by 6.5 "points"? sorry but my english is not so good

CFT
06-02-2008, 03:46 AM
Good article on the Wing Chun weapons: long pole and double knives:

http://www.chusaulei.com/martial/articles/articles_weapons.html