PDA

View Full Version : Practiced some CLF after a long hiatus

Eric Olson
05-30-2008, 04:50 PM
I practiced my Siu Ping Kuen a little bit tonight after going to the gym. It only felt a little bit awkward having not practiced in so long.

While I like Taiji sometimes it just feels good to do some straight up kung fu.

I'm wondering if there's some way to hit with the Sao Chui that doesn't involve using the forearm (something I try to avoid). I tried modifying the technique a little bit so that it was more of a downward punch and it seemed more mechanically correct (ie leading with the fist instead of the shoulder).

I've noticed that some of the Northern Style have similar hands to CLF but the waist and footwork seems a little better integrated (at least how I learned it.)

Basically, I'm going to try and start practicing my Siu Ping Kuen and Fu-Pow Kuen (of course) on a regular basis and see how it goes. Those forms seem best suited for my body type and I besides I don't know if my knees can handle too many Chan Fu's anymore.

Oh well that's all, just thought I'd share.

EO

WinterPalm
05-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Good post.

I'm in a similar boat except my focus is exclusively San Da right now.
However, I try to do two - three of the black tiger sets I learned. They are fun, good for me in terms of agility and cardio, and offer a sometimes much needed change from the daily pounding.
Forms are like vehicles that get us to a certain point and instill us with certain methodologies of movement and mechanical technique. After awhile that movement is ingrained in us and not as necessary to obsessively train at...but it's always good to bust out some kung fu...after all, it got us to where we're at.

T. Cunningham
05-30-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm wondering if there's some way to hit with the Sao Chui that doesn't involve using the forearm (something I try to avoid). I tried modifying the technique a little bit so that it was more of a downward punch and it seemed more mechanically correct (ie leading with the fist instead of the shoulder).
EO

You can do the technique with the forearm or leading with the first two knuckles. All depends on your target and intent.

Todd

Eddie
05-31-2008, 12:21 AM
Good post.

I'm in a similar boat except my focus is exclusively San Da right now.
However, I try to do two - three of the black tiger sets I learned. They are fun, good for me in terms of agility and cardio, and offer a sometimes much needed change from the daily pounding.
Forms are like vehicles that get us to a certain point and instill us with certain methodologies of movement and mechanical technique. After awhile that movement is ingrained in us and not as necessary to obsessively train at...but it's always good to bust out some kung fu...after all, it got us to where we're at.

the last few years my focus has also been mainly been san shou, however I still enjoy my traditional forms too. I still teach them, but my fighting strategy has shifted more towards the modern methods.

I LOVE san shou. I think its the best stand up fighting sport in the world ;)

nospam
05-31-2008, 04:26 AM
Eddie

Curious as to what you instruct. CLF patterns and sanda sport fighting?

It's all good.

nospam
bak hsing kwoon
:cool:

Eddie
05-31-2008, 05:13 AM
both.
seperate classes.