PDA

View Full Version : The Seven Samurai

Son_Goku
07-25-2001, 03:15 AM
Okay, first off, let me say that i know that this movie is Japanese and its about samurai and not traditional martial artists, but it is a great movie in its own right.
Has anyone else seen it out there; it just was released digitally re-mastered on DVD.

Fear.....Fear attracts the fearful.....The strong....the weak....the innocent....
Fear is my ally

Black_Talon
07-25-2001, 12:13 PM
It's quite possibly the best movie ever created!

The story is good, the character development is awesome! and the acting it great too!

------------------
Some may boast of prowess bold,
Of the school they think so grand,
But there's a Spirit, can ne'er be told,
It's the Spirit of Aggieland
------------------
------------------
UT Unlimited, your premier mapping site!
Ace82@unrealism.com
UT Unlimited (http://utu.unrealism.com)

Lost_Disciple
07-25-2001, 09:54 PM
The guy who pretended to be a samurai (who happened to only be 13) was Kikucho. Kikucho's a riot to watch if you understand Japanese, a little like Chris Tucker.
One of my alltime fav's.

Black_Talon
07-26-2001, 08:39 AM
I can't believe he was only 13!!!!

That's a shock

------------------
------------------
------------------
Ace82@unrealism.com

Budokan
07-26-2001, 12:23 PM
I think it's Kurasawa's best movie ever. It was the pattern for the later Hollywoodized version called "The Magnificent Seven", which itself isn't bad.

I have "Seven Samurai" in my video collection and watch it several times a year at least.

K. Mark Hoover

Lost_Disciple
07-26-2001, 01:33 PM
Did I miss something Black_Talon? or was that just sarcasm?

The character Kikucho was pretending to be a 13 year old samurai. They found out when they read his little lineage chart.

Unless you're just messing with me.

Black_Talon
07-26-2001, 05:42 PM
The way I read your comment I thought you meant his real life age was 13!!!!

That why I was shocked!

------------------
------------------
------------------
Ace82@unrealism.com

Lost_Disciple
07-26-2001, 09:25 PM
That was the same actor from "Yojimbo"- "Kagemusha" too if I'm not incorrect. I'm pretty sure his name was Mifune. Excellent actor cuz he's so different in each role- I had to be told it was him in each movie.

Black_Talon
07-26-2001, 09:39 PM
Hey is Yojimbo any good? The only Kurasawa movie I've seen is The Seven Samurai

------------------
------------------
------------------
Ace82@unrealism.com

Lost_Disciple
07-26-2001, 10:22 PM
I was never much into samurai, except for some budo theory like in the Hagakure, but I dig every Kurosawa flick I've ever seen.
Almost anyone could stand up to American classics like Bridge of the River Kwai, Cleopatra, Ben Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, et al; and yet probably done on a fraction of the budget of any of those.

The Bruce Willis movie "Last Man Standing" is based on Yojimbo. Almost every single scene is the same, just with prohibition- or 40s- era mafia stuff going on instead of feudal japan. It's almost like they just re-texture-mapped the movie (for you computer graphics people out there).

I recommend getting anyone you can; although "Ras****n" (not sure if that was actually done by him) is a bit freaky.

Enjoy

Black_Talon
07-26-2001, 10:29 PM
Well I've been into samurai stuff for as long as I can remeber, so I'd probably love it.

I'd have to buy it though as no video store here has it for rent.

------------------
------------------
------------------
Ace82@unrealism.com

Chang Style Novice
07-27-2001, 02:31 AM
Yojimbo is fantastic, as is the sequel Sanjuro.

Rent or buy them both at the next opportunity.

Black_Talon
07-27-2001, 05:22 AM
Will do!

Thanks

------------------
------------------
------------------
Ace82@unrealism.com

Lost_Disciple
07-28-2001, 07:43 AM
Chang Style Novice
I miss Vulcan Video and I Love Video soooooo bad.

Chang Style Novice
07-28-2001, 09:59 AM
Lost Disciple -

I just wrapped up a viewing party of "Mad Monkey Kungfu" and "My Young Auntie"

Neener, neener, neener.

On the other hand, if you have a DVD player, there's always netflix.com.

Lost_Disciple
07-28-2001, 11:53 PM
.....assuming I had money :)...

My home collection is bigger than vulcan's; but they still have some titles I want...

Ky-Fi
07-29-2001, 01:42 AM
Also, you may want to check out the new DVD of The Hidden Fortress, by Kurosawa. It's a cool Samurai adventure/comedy, and George Lucas cites it as a main influence for Star Wars. Very nice movie.

Chang Style Novice
07-29-2001, 02:54 PM
"My home collection is bigger than vulcan's..."

Quite honestly, this scares me more than the NSA stuff... :p

And to add to Ky-Fi's thoughts - any Kurosawa is worth seeing, in my experience. Even the non-Samurai stuff, like "High and Low" "Sanshiro Sugata" and "Lost Dogs." Heck, "High and Low" is probably my favorite of any of 'em.

edziak
08-22-2001, 10:36 AM
Toshiro Mifune is the actor's name. There was a lovely Finish movie named after him that had nothing realy to do with him at all.

I loved Yojimbo. If you're interested in renting adaptations of the story you should check out "A Fist Full of Dollars". It's much better. It was Sergio Leone's first western, was what made Clint Eastwood a star and is where the term spagheti western came from. Leone went on to make two awsome sequels: "For a Few dollars More" and "The Good the Bad and the Ugly." He did other great movies as well, not all westerns.

Lost_Disciple
08-23-2001, 06:26 AM
Chang
Let's just say that I've been collecting a while (8 years now I guess) and that at one time, I used to have some $$.
I'm in San Antonio BTW, but my parents are trying to control my life at the moment, so I don't know when I'll make it up to Austin.

edziak
I totally forgot that "the Good, the bad, and the ugly" was based off of Yojimbo. Thanks for the reminder. :) I've seen all three, and while I'd probably say the Clint Eastwood one is the better movie, the Bruce Willis flick is awfully close in spirit- as well as adapting many of the exact same scenes. All good in my book, but I know many who don't like the Willis movie.

Just some thoughts from an ignoramus.

Silumkid
08-23-2001, 08:45 AM
Seven Samurai rules!

DVD rules!

This forum rules!

Remakes of great movies.....ah, forget it!

Amitabha!

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

red5angel
01-17-2003, 12:34 PM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news-19887/

carly
01-17-2003, 01:17 PM
Will Miramax be casting seven white guys in this?

Suntzu
01-17-2003, 01:19 PM
Yul Brenner was da MAN!!!

kenso
01-17-2003, 04:58 PM
Hopefully it will be a better 2nd round remake than the godawful "Last Man Standing".

David
01-18-2003, 06:50 AM
Tell me one Hollywood film that ain't a remake of a good film... haha!

-David

dezhen2001
01-18-2003, 07:05 AM
u cant beat the original... no way

dawood

Sho
01-18-2003, 07:36 AM
Oh dear, here we go..

logic
01-18-2003, 07:39 AM
I want Better sound effects.

Cheese Dog
01-19-2003, 11:27 PM
Just watched The Magnificent Seven yesterday! There is no way a remake could be better!

Sum Sing Wong
01-20-2003, 10:11 AM
seven samurai was very good, a bit long but none the less a good movie. I love the untalented samurai with the huge sword, I want his sword.

GeneChing
01-20-2003, 10:30 AM
They need to remake Enter the Dragon next...:rolleyes:

Suntzu
01-20-2003, 10:31 AM
Last Man Standing… was Yojimbo…

Chang Style Novice
01-20-2003, 01:22 PM
No mention of A Fistful of Dollars for Yojimbo remakes? I can't be the only one here who likes spaghetti!

Actually, Yojimbo has an American novel by Dashiell Hammett as its source. I think I remember seeing somewhere recently that someone was going to try to adapt <I>Red Harvest</i> to a movie again, this time in a sticking closely to the source material.

Could be good, if they keep Bruce Willis and Walter Hill away from it.

I fully agree that The Magnificent Seven is a truly worthy remake, and that Star Wars is clearly indebted to The Hidden Fortress.

I'm developing a real fondness for old westerns recently. Johnny Guitar ran on TCM last night and totally kicked my ass. Not as great as The Wild Bunch, but still really good.

Suntzu
01-20-2003, 01:58 PM
The Outlaw Josey Wales:cool: gotta love the old dude:cool:

David
01-21-2003, 04:02 AM
The last remake I saw was a recent Jet Li thing based on the Japanese 'Sword of Vengeance' about a father and son who go to kill an entire samurai clan. Jet Li's film was complete drivel. I saw the original last night and it was awesome despite gratuitous gore.

Mag 7 is a good film but, to tell the truth, despite seeing it 2 or 3 times, I can't remember anything about it nor who starred in it or their characters. 7 Samurai, on the other hand, stayed with me after one viewing.

-David

apoweyn
01-21-2003, 08:42 AM
the seven samurai and yojimbo have both been remade more times than i can count. so... like, seven.

i've seen the magnificent seven done with cowboys, samurai, aliens, gladiators, martin short...

as for yojimbo, there's last man standing (which i quite liked), fist full of dollars (also liked), the warrior and the sorceress (david carradine travesty), some scifi version with rutger hauer and a bunch of cyborgs (directed by albert pyun)...

what's another remake if it's done well? fine with me. if it's done poorly... there's still a real good chance that it'll be fine with me.

:)

Cipher
08-05-2003, 05:41 AM
I am thinking about buying the DVD for Seven Samurai, I have never seen it. Every thing I have seen so far is dubbed (that's fine) I would rather have it captioned. Dubbed is cool to though, some times I actually prefer a foreign film in it's original language any ways. But do they even have a captioned Seven Samurai movie or are they all dubbed? Thanks.

Liokault
08-05-2003, 05:55 AM
Kurisawa (spelling?) films rule.

I thought that the DVD had the option of either dubbing of subtitles? May be yours are differant in the USofA.

Ray Pina
08-05-2003, 06:01 AM
The one I rented at Blockbuster was subtitled. Great movie! I got to go buy it too.

TigerJaw
08-05-2003, 06:12 AM
The Criterion Collection edition is the definitive edition of this great movie. I know that it has a Japanese language soundtrack and English subs which can be turned off if you speak Japanese. id din't think it had an English track at all.

This edition you keep seeing arround. Who's the distributor?

Surferdude
08-05-2003, 08:17 AM
Buy it its the best movie i've ever seen... should of got 5 stars!!!:mad: :D

Shaolinlueb
08-05-2003, 08:59 AM
buy it, those three hours go by fast. i had it on tape somewhere but lost it. :(

Chang Style Novice
08-05-2003, 09:35 AM
push the 'subtitle' button on you dvd remote control to add subtitles. push the 'audio' button to switch audio tracks.

I love Kurosawa myself. You should also rent his other samurai flicks: Ran, Ras****n, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Throne of Blood, etc.

You should also rent his non-samurai flicks: Dersu Uzula, High and Low, Ikiru, Stray Dog, Judo Story, etc.

Judo Story II is kinda lame, though.

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Kurosawa,+Akira

Edit - I can't believe I had to defeat the censor to post Ras****n!:rolleyes:

Sho
08-05-2003, 03:16 PM
Don't buy a DVD that hasn't got the option to switch subtitles and audio tracks. I personally wouldn't buy a dubbed one.

Seven Samurai is an excellent movie, get it asap. Mifune Toshiro is **** funny. :D

shaolin kungfu
08-06-2003, 04:11 AM
Seven samauri was on tv a while ago. probably one of the movie channels like cinemax or something. I wish I would have known so i could have taped it, instead of only getting to see half.:(

Go buy the dvd right away!

GeneChing
08-07-2003, 09:10 AM
I've never seen a dubbed Seven Samurai. Have they colorized it too? :rolleyes:
That is one of my all time favorite movies. :D

Chang Style Novice
08-07-2003, 10:04 AM
I don't know if there are other DVD's floating around out there, but the Criterion Collection Version (http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=2&section=feature) doesn't seem to have any dialog track except the original Japanese (there is a commentary track in english by Michael Jeck.) If you speak Japanese, or just find subtitles distracting from the visual integrity, it is possible to remove them by using the "subtitle" toggle button on your remote.

Amazon has a 4-pack that includes Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, and The Hidden Fortress for $86. Considering Seven Samurai alone is $35, that sounds like a great deal to me.

chen zhen
08-08-2003, 10:12 AM
I wish I have seen those movies..:(
I saw a part of 7S when i was a kid, but I was too bored with it, so I dropped it.
Remember, I was just a kid..;)
btw, my avatar is relevant to this as well.;)

Kel1970
08-11-2003, 03:06 PM
Hey just wanted to point out if ya didn't already know that the western movie "The Magnificent Seven" is based on "The Seven Samurai". I'm sure there are lots of other movies that have used this formula too. Also, as another note George Lucas has said in some interviews that "The Hidden Fortresss" was a big influence on the story for the first "Star Wars". So it seems that Kurasawa was a big influence on western movie makers as well. Thanks for listening.

Chang Style Novice
08-11-2003, 10:35 PM
It works both ways, actually. Kurosawa's script for "Yojimbo" is based on the crime novel "Red Harvest" by Dashiell Hammett, who also wrote "The Maltese Falcon." The same story was also used for "A Fistful of Dollars" and (most unfortunately) "Last Man Standing." Heck, "Ras****n" was remade as "The Outrage" in America (or perhaps England - I forget.) Plus, Kurosawa reset Shakespeare into medieval Japan not once but twice! "Macbeth" became "Throne of Blood" and "King Lear" became "Ran."

Edit - Dang that censor is annoying.

dwid
08-12-2003, 08:42 AM
The same story was also used for "A Fistful of Dollars" and (most unfortunately) "Last Man Standing."

Don't forget the other version of Yojimbo, Rutger Hauer's "Omega Doom," which transplants the story into a dark future in which robots battle cyborgs (for no reason) for control of a small ghost town with no resources.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0800187342/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/102-6459098-4435305?v=glance&s=video&vi=customer-reviews

MasterKiller
08-12-2003, 09:11 AM
Watched Magnificent 7 again the other night. Great movie.

I have really old and bad VHS copies of Seven Samurai and Ros****n. I'm waiting for a sale or something before I buy the DVDs.

Chang Style Novice
08-12-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by dwid
Don't forget the other version of Yojimbo, Rutger Hauer's "Omega Doom," which transplants the story into a dark future in which robots battle cyborgs (for no reason) for control of a small ghost town with no resources.I didn't forget about it, I'd never heard of it. And frankly from your description, I think I preferred it that way!;)

GeneChing
09-24-2008, 09:22 AM
New Chinese Movie Pays Tribute to "Seven Samurai" (http://english.cri.cn/3086/2008/09/23/1221s408383.htm)
2008-09-23 19:13:32

Young Chinese director Yang Shupeng recently finished shooting his second movie, "Ku Zhu Lin," a tribute to Japanese director Akira Kurosawa's 1954 film "Seven Samurai."

"Ku Zhu Lin," or "Bitter Bamboo Grove," stars Chinese actors Hu Jun and Jiang Wu. It is expected to screen at this year's Tokyo International Film Festival in October.

I forecast more with John Fusco's (Forbidden Kingdom (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42599) screenwriter) rumored project, Seven Samurai, so I'll just set this up for then.

sanjuro_ronin
09-24-2008, 09:37 AM
The Seven Samurai is a lesson in all facets of MA.
From the practical to that esoteric.
Its a lesson on passivity, a lesson on why those that can do things, should do them ( because no one else will), it shows all the good and the bad of Bushido.
It also gives on the the best lessons in the difference between reality and perception in MA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NHrGc36Hu8&feature=related

Jimbo
09-27-2008, 01:34 AM
Seven Samurai is definitely one of the most influential films of all time, period. That goes beyond being a martial arts movie, and yet it's one of the best m.a. movies as well. I especially like the quiet samurai with outstanding skill that the young kid idolizes. This character speaks very little in the movie, and in spite of that (or more likely because of that), he is an excellent model to aspire to.

That being said, I probably enjoy watching the Western remake, The Magnificent Seven, a bit more.

GeneChing
04-20-2016, 08:46 AM
From the press release:

Director Antoine Fuqua brings his modern vision to a classic story in Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures' and Columbia Pictures' The Magnificent Seven. With the town of Rose Creek under the deadly control of industrialist Bartholomew Bogue (Peter Sarsgaard), the desperate townspeople employ protection from seven outlaws, bounty hunters, gamblers and hired guns - Sam Chisolm (Denzel Washington), Josh Farraday (Chris Pratt), Goodnight Robicheaux (Ethan Hawke), Jack Horne (Vincent D'Onofrio), Billy Rocks (Byung-Hun Lee), Vasquez (Manuel Garcia-Rulfo), and Red Harvest (Martin Sensmeier). As they prepare the town for the violent showdown that they know is coming, these seven mercenaries find themselves fighting for more than money.

The film is directed by Antoine Fuqua. The screenplay is by Nic Pizzolatto and Richard Wenk. The producers are Roger Birnbaum and Todd Black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deSRpSn8Pyk

GeneChing
04-29-2016, 08:59 AM
This bums me out as I enjoy the Criterion Collection on Hulu+. This will also affect Touch of Zen (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?67343-Touch-of-Zen), Dragon Inn (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69465-Dragon-Inn), and some others.

Turner And Criterion Team To Launch Classic Movie SVOD Service (http://deadline.com/2016/04/turner-criterion-launch-classic-movie-subscription-svod-service-filmstruck-1201744289/)
by David Lieberman
April 26, 2016 5:45am

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/hard-days-night-poster-1.jpg?w=432&h=299&crop=1

Time Warner’s Turner unit is joining corporate cousin HBO in the direct-to-consumer subscription video on demand business — and in a way that should please fans of classic films — as well as those of the Beatles.

Turner’s launching an ad-free streaming site, FilmStruck, this fall featuring what it calls “an eclectic mix of contemporary and classic art house, indie, foreign and cult films.” Turner Classic Movies will run the operation, which will be the exclusive streaming venue for the Criterion Collection, including its Criterion Channel.

Criterion’s library is moving from Hulu, where it had been had been available since 2011 after moving from Netflix.

Turner says pricing for FilmStruck is still being determined. Films it will offer include The Beatles’ A Hard Day’s Night plus Seven Samurai, A Room With A View, Blood Simple, My Life As A Dog, Mad Max, Breaker Morant and The Player.

Last month Turner CEO John Martin disclosed his plan to launch “at least a couple of direct-to-consumer products in the marketplace” by the end of 2016. He said that they “could be at our existing networks” and might be “brand extensions for passions where people might be willing to pay us.”

Today he calls FilmStruck “a terrific example of our strategy to meet consumer demand for great content across all screens.” The Turner chief says it’s “tailor-made for the diehard movie enthusiast who craves a deep, intimate experience with independent, foreign, and art house films. And it takes advantage of TCM’s powerful curation capabilities, as well as its proven track record in building a long-term relationship with passionate film fans.”

The company calls this its “latest move…to innovate beyond the traditional television ecosystem.” It partnered with WME-IMG to form an eSports league, ELeague, that will launch this summer. It has invested in Mashable. And CNN’s funding an ad-supported independent operation, Great Big Story, with BuzzFeed-like news and non-fiction targeting Milennials.

Criterion Collection President Peter Becker says the new service will include “a steady stream of exclusive original content and archival discoveries, plus continual access to more than 1,000 films from the Janus Films library, many unavailable on disc or anywhere else.””