PDA

View Full Version : Choy Lay Fut schools in Burnaby

warr10rdude
06-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Hi,

I have been looking high and low for a serious Choy Lay Fut school in Burnaby, so far without much success. There was one at the intersection of Hastings and Willingdon a long time ago run by Gary Seto, but it no longer exists. The contact e-mail at setokungfu.com is also invalid. I had called the number on the website, but it leads directly to a voice mail. I even went so far as to perform a reverse search on his name and found a number, but the Gary Seto I had found isn't the same person.

I have had some past experience in other martial arts, but have been away from the scene for a couple of years. Would really like to get back into it again. Any leads is much appreciated. Thank you.

iron_silk
06-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Hi there! You should really contact firepalm on this forum. He seems to know about all the schools and current info.

I searched for firepalm last post on all the kung fu schools he knows of here is the closest you are looking for: Qun Ying Athletic Ass'n - Tony Lee (Choy Lee Fut), Willingdon Heights

Sorry don't have more info but good luck.

On any chance that you are willing to go to a different location for Choy Lay Fut or a different system all together here is the link of the schools from an old thread.

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-41583.html

warr10rdude
06-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have no luck finding more information on Tony Lee as well. An old post at

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1692

did mention Tony Lee and the Willingdon Heights Rec Centre (Community Centre). I called the place, and the person has no idea what I am talking about. The post is dated 2001, so I guess I am not that surprised. Still, two sifus like Tony Lee and Gary Seto can't just simply have vanished without a trace (or can they? :)). They are somewhere. Question is, where?

firepalm
06-04-2008, 01:57 AM
Last I heard Gary Seto was teaching out of the Lochdale Hall - 490 Sperling (off Hastings), Burnaby. Not sure which day though, and NOTE there is also a Northern Shaolin club that runs out of that Community Center as well so don't confuse the two.

Tony Lee is at some Elementary School in the North Burnaby Area, in around Willingdon Heights & rents the gym a couple nights a week. Sorry but that's all I can tell you on that.

Not too far away at the Renfrew Community Center in East Van you can find the Shung Ying Club (CLF under Sifu Hilbert Yiu).

If you are into say something other then CLF @ the Hastings Community Center (also in East Van), you can find Bak Mei under one of Wilkie Wu's pupils' Andy Chow (www.bakmei.ca). At Rupert & 1st you can the Kin Fung Athletic Group (Northern Shaolin - www.kinfungkungfu.com). You can also find Northern Shaolin close to I believe Van Tech highschool (East Broadway near Rupert), I n S's club (www.northernshaolin.ca).

Hope this helps!

warr10rdude
06-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the info.

Here's more of what I have found. I have tried calling Lochdale Hall at 490 Sperling Avenue since Monday, but no answer. Did some more digging, and found another number - (604) 298-8182. That should work. The old number is floating around the web a lot though.

Anyway, a person-in-charge at Lochdale Hall said the only class right now are on Wednesdays from 7:30pm - 9:30pm. Gary's cellphone is still the same as at setokungfu.com, but I have had no luck reaching him (person-in-charge also said the same thing). Maybe he's out of the country?!

I may go drop by tonight and check it out. Will post as I found out more.

warr10rdude
06-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Today was my second day at the school. Very nice and helpful folks. The sifu was not around, so one of the seniors taught me some basic forms. I am enjoying it immensely. :) Parking-wise, there is ample free parking.

iron_silk
06-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Today was my second day at the school. Very nice and helpful folks. The sifu was not around, so one of the seniors taught me some basic forms. I am enjoying it immensely. :) Parking-wise, there is ample free parking.

Glad to hear things are working out for you.

And nothing beats free parking!