PDA

View Full Version : Practicing in the Office

SimonM
06-04-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm sitting here in my office posting altogether too much on the forum because I'd rather be out in the rain practicing. Considering that I don't even have a cube, let alone a private office I don't have anything even resembling private space.

Or space...

At all....

So anyone got suggestions for surreptitious practice techniques that can be accomplished at a desk without looking like a total spaz?

MightyB
06-04-2008, 10:50 AM
mental visualization drills.

SimonM
06-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Ah yes, staring off into space imagining stuff. That way I'll just look like a pothead instead of a spaz.

sanjuro_ronin
06-04-2008, 11:09 AM
I have some capt of crush grippers that I use at the office, I also have a super re-enforced keyboard so that when I type I cna drill the keys and forge my finger strikes !!
I also like to beat up on couriers, but that's another thread.

SimonM
06-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Almost busted a keyboard practicing the hand positions at the beginning of tiger and crane once... fortunately that was in the comfort of my own home.

sanjuro_ronin
06-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Almost busted a keyboard practicing the hand positions at the beginning of tiger and crane once... fortunately that was in the comfort of my own home.

Probably a Dell eh?
:D

MightyB
06-04-2008, 11:49 AM
you should quit. Down with the Man!

Pork Chop
06-04-2008, 11:54 AM
I keep my training at work purely mental.

For starters, I may sneak in some fight footage.
Sometimes, watching footage, I'll try to imagine myself as so-and-so fighter, watching their footwork, looking at what the other guy's doing, looking at distance & angles.
Started doing that because I wanted to know why a lot of my sparring sessions & a lot of the amateur fights I see, look nothing like pro fights.
Occasionally I'll watch casually to see if i can pick up an odd combination - or check out a guy's footwork throwing a 1-2 or watching Marciano's footage to see where his power comes from.

Other times I'll sneak in training footage.
I wanna see what certain people (like the thais) are doing in their training camps - to see how they're pushing themselves.
A lot of times still trying to steal new combos, finding out better ways to improve my structure, and seeing if i'm missing anything on footwork, angles, or defense.

Carry-over is also something very interesting.
Realizing that not only is it important to train the way you fight, but to fight the way you train.
A lot of mma guys will take on a totally inconsistent "stand up stance" when they're hitting pads from when they're doing mma sparring or fighting.
The Thais seem really good about fighting out of the structure that they practice with in the gym.
Most boxers fall somewhere in between.
If you practice a certain way of fighting in the gym - don't abandon it as soon as you step in the ring, otherwise change up your training to match your instinct so that what comes out is more natural.

Forums & discussions sites I also consider mental training.
I may find out some good info on a particular piece of equipment or brand of training gear.
I may read up on some solid theory - like the dempsey book, or discussions of how to "handle" southpaws.

There's a lot of good stuff you can do right at your desk without anyone thinking you're a weirdo, just make sure you're still getting your work done...

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-04-2008, 12:23 PM
i do handstand pushups or walk on my hands when no one is around. i can only get a single handstand pushup about 1 out every 10 tries right now. thats not against a wall or anything though ... just free standing.

David Jamieson
06-04-2008, 02:56 PM
chair dips
calf raises
pick a stance, now type an email while holding it.
wrist and arm circles

lots of exercises you can do including clenching which is good core work.

try not to sweat too much or people will think you're a meth head or something.

D-FENS
06-04-2008, 03:06 PM
you should do jian cuts with the letter opener

fopah
06-04-2008, 04:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ou6MoKmxFQ

Mr Punch
06-04-2008, 05:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ou6MoKmxFQ
WTF! A message just came up (in Japanese - I was redirected to the Japanese site) saying I couldn't watch that where I live (in Japan)!!! Since when did that kind of censorship come in over here!? :mad::mad::mad:

What is it, and what are the key words please someone?

Pork Chop
06-04-2008, 08:52 PM
WTF! A message just came up (in Japanese - I was redirected to the Japanese site) saying I couldn't watch that where I live (in Japan)!!! Since when did that kind of censorship come in over here!? :mad::mad::mad:

What is it, and what are the key words please someone?

Eric Prydz - Call On Me music video
Think a sexier version of Olivia Newton John's "let's get physical"
I understand now why SevenStar does all the aerobics classes.... the man's a genius.

Egg fu young
06-05-2008, 03:41 AM
Here you go............http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ReWF9wViE0

Mr Punch
06-05-2008, 06:44 AM
Thanks... wonder why I can't get it to show? Changes in youtube that don't allow you to select a non-local server and don't allow enough space on local ones...?

BruceSteveRoy
06-05-2008, 06:59 AM
that was the greatest music video i think i have ever seen. the artistry, cinematography, choreography and vision were breathtaking. plus it was educational and informed people of the necessity to be more health conscious. but there was definitely something else about it that appealed to me... i just can't seem to put my finger on it.

sanjuro_ronin
06-05-2008, 07:27 AM
I understand now why SevenStar does all the aerobics classes.... the man's a genius.

great for the yang !

masherdong
06-05-2008, 07:52 AM
So anyone got suggestions for surreptitious practice techniques that can be accomplished at a desk without looking like a total spaz?

I dont care what people think. I do what I got to do. I am always doing my tai chi circles in the cube. Sure, I got some stares. At least now they wont come to me at the last minute giving me stuff to do that was due yesterday! lol

Egg fu young
06-05-2008, 09:41 AM
I have a huge conference room that's empty every morning. I practice my Tai Chi there everyday.