PDA

View Full Version : Practice As Much As You Can Recall

No_Know
06-08-2008, 05:49 AM
Last week or so I started doing Brush Knee and Push going to the Kitchen or walking around in the kitchen.

Ray Pina
06-10-2008, 09:44 AM
I've developed a decent double-leg takedown last month. Incorporating it into free play now..... what a weapon to have, especially when the other guy is taller. And I think it's internal, relying 100% on posture, leverage and timing. When catching someone right it's effortless, smooth.

imperialtaichi
06-11-2008, 01:14 AM
Hello Ray, I like you stuff because your approach is always so practical. Any new videos clips lately?

Lately I've been working with some guys who have very mixed martial arts backgrounds. So I've been practicing how to avoid take downs, taking hits etc. and it has been most rewarding in terms of turning the more theoretical skills in practical use.

Did you see my Sword clip on Youtube? I think you'll like it.

Cheers,
John

No_Know
06-14-2008, 06:54 AM
Ray Pina,
The transitioning during free play to realize, now would be good and to be able to get there from this position you had not even thought about before, this should help make what you are doing exciting. Double leg take down does seem as though it should work especially good on a taller than you person--one with a waist higher than yours or some one bent at the waist above a thirty-five degree angle or the like.

I think of being able to use several T'ai Chi Ch'uan moves out of sequence of the forms and them fitting together still. I like that.

No_Know

No_Know
06-14-2008, 06:58 AM
A clip for me to see me and think. Perhaps it might be helpful to another.

I like to study how I move. Noting musculature and alignment.

No_Know

Put the link in when it's on line solid.

No_Know
06-14-2008, 07:11 AM
If you would, look at my take-down aversion and see how it compares or fairs with what you do, thanks.

Warning: Manbreasts in this clip.
Things to do on my way to the kitchen(shirtless) (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=36143274)

No_Know

Ray Pina
06-15-2008, 05:31 AM
I couldn't get the video to play but will try again later.

I have found that my internal and previous MA experience is helping me develop my jiu-jitsu at a good pace... structure, timing.

Now that I have personalized instruction I'm getting a lot of bad habits washed away, like never resting on my back when in someone's side control, pulling my guard up higher to off balance someone... basics. But working them almost until I puke.

Another thing I see, even though I haven't seen your video, is that good technique is good technique.... the concept of sprawl is universal in MA. So is an arm bar. The only difference is slightly in the how. And that's up to each person to find what seems most economical to them.

Living, learning, having fun. Competing in BJJ gi and no gi July 12 in San Juan. Looking to fight again this fall and I think I'm ready for a win now. I've made some physical and mental break throughs.

I do miss training with Master Chan. I'm going to be in NYC a few days in Aug and I hope I can see him, get some ideas.

Peace and love

Ray Pina
06-15-2008, 05:47 AM
Did you see my Sword clip on Youtube? I think you'll like it.

I'm going to check that out when I have a little time and get back to you.

Thanks for the kind words. I lost a MMA match in Dec by decision but I was proud that my opponant, a college wrestling champion, couldn't tap me. My hands were a little disapointing but I had a shoulder injury that took some crispness off my heavy hand.

I'm making big gains though. My overall athleticism and jiu-jitsu has improved a lot the past two months with my grappling coach down here. He works me hard and I have a small group of competitive guys.

Training with MMA guys will help you so much. I've benefitted by befriending fighters at Renzo's and now here. First and foremost, there's no bull****. There's no seniors or disciples or talk about the past, present, future, style A vs style B, etc.

We warm ourselves up and drill until we're soaked in sweat. Then we roll timed rounds until we can't move any more. I love it. It builds an inner fire.

Then there's other things. I've never even had a real corner for any of my fights. Sounds silly, but having a coach even in training yelling at me to hussle up and bump the guy back into guard instead of being lazy and catching my breath in side control helps. Its the constant doing and recognizing of situations. I love it. I'm about ready for a victory.

Competing BJJ gi and no gi July 12 in San Juan. Looking to get my first MMA win this fall.

Hope all is well
Ray

No_Know
06-15-2008, 06:47 AM
No sprawl from me I hope. It is universal which would be why I looked for something else. Thanks.

2nd Charge address (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=19982541)

first charge address (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=19981790)

Here's some related clips.

No_Know
06-17-2008, 05:05 AM
Brush Knee and Push can be done walking. Brush Knee and Push can be done consecutively. Pat the Wild horse's Mane t, the same can be said.

I like the clips at least in part because I see my thinking at that moment for how to go about things. But especially for this was blending or utilizing the techniques at will.~ I thought parts were clumsy-ish at least not smoothe. I could at least see in my mind "that does not transfer or finish-up correctly...Keep moving...perhaps this moves it to correct, ...Noooo...Keep moving. It should work itself out if I have the understanding or as I get the understanding. Merely continue. If I do it wrong enough I will begin to feel my way into more right."

I might not could see exactly that but I did work it out and I liked that. I did some techniques off and some stuff that was not exactly techniques from twenty four. I hope to look at my mind of T'ai Chi Ch'uan more by way of Video clips.

No_Know

brucereiter
06-17-2008, 02:15 PM
If you would, look at my take-down aversion and see how it compares or fairs with what you do, thanks.

Things to do on my way to the kitchen(shirtless) (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=36143274)

No_Know

hi ...

looks like good practice doing lots of reps of a few moves ... if i may offer advice on brush the knee i think it is important to understand how to deliver the maximum amount of mass to the "target" you have a good turning of the waist but it seems that the weight transfer is finished before you turn your waist. try to shift your weight from back to front in time with the turning of your waste. i hope that makes sense ...

No_Know
06-17-2008, 08:06 PM
I do understand what you are saying. I hope to show What I do understand as I present a clip.

I hope that walking on a hill was an element that can be factored into my stepping shown so far but definitely no excuse.

Your point makes sense to me, brucereiter.

No_Know

No_Know
07-04-2008, 05:41 AM
I think the moves can blend. Understanding them individually first might help. Once the moves are understood and done in completeness, the speed at which they are done should be nearly merely limited by understanding and execution.

No_Know

No_Know
07-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Brush Knee and Push blends with Pat the Wild Horses Mane as they both have a rising part from down The down part converts to the rising of the other technique. Even same side switch might be able to occure.

Brush Knee and Push right has right palm high. This can swing~ to pass left palm for Pat the Wild Horses Mane or sweep under and around for same side Pat the Wild Horses Mane.

They seem potentially to bee sweeping motions to clear arms and I view Push as the most intended strike. The other three moves are sweeps for clearing arms it might seem. Three as in High or low and Pat the Wild Horses Mane and Brush Knee.

No_Know

No_Know
07-13-2008, 04:59 PM
The stepping might be significant combining or meshing or blending Brush Knee and Push with Pat the Wild Horses Mane--Stroking Hair (my say and shorter than Pat the Wild Horses Mane)Note:whatever whomever calls the moves, the action should be descriptive of the action so that the action is understandable merely by the name).

Stroking Hair has the down in unsupport. Brush Knee and Push has the knee by the down. One empty one full.

Note: Stroking Hair seems like a shoulder stroke with a momentum push/press.

No_Know

unkokusai
07-13-2008, 05:25 PM

No_Know

What kind of takedown exactly are you hoping to avert? And in the name of all that is good and holy, please wear a shirt in all future videos.

cjurakpt
07-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Note:whatever whomever calls the moves, the action should be descriptive of the action so that the action is understandable merely by the name)
since you are interested in the correctness of names, FYI, it's not "Part Wild Horse's Mane" as if you are doing the parting; it's "Wild Horse Parts (its) Mane", as in the "throwing off" motion a wild horse makes w/it's head as it's running, causing it's mane to whip from one side to the other - which supports the "energy" of the application, which is a throw;

What kind of takedown exactly are you hoping to avert? And in the name of all that is good and holy, please wear a shirt in all future videos.
maybe the idea is to get you to avert your eyes?

No_Know
07-14-2008, 05:22 AM
unkokusai, the video clip was in line with the post. My saying check out the take down aversions were accessable on the same page as the video clip. Also, I posted two clip links after the things to do on the way to the kitchen.

2nd Charge address (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=19982541)

first charge address (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=19981790)

cjurakpt, thank you for pointing those out.

No_Know

unkokusai
07-14-2008, 08:53 AM
unkokusai, the video clip was in line with the post. My saying check out the take down aversions were accessable on the same page as the video clip. Also, I posted two clip links after the things to do on the way to the kitchen.

cjurakpt, thank you for pointing those out.

No_Know

I have to say that I don't have a lot of confidence that what you were doing in those vids is going to help you stop a real takedown attempt. In all of them your legs were more or less straight and you didn't change your level much at all. You seem to be making a lot of assumptions about where the head will be and don't (as far as I can tell) address the momentum of the shot at all.

Have you drilled against a live opponent?

No_Know
07-16-2008, 09:47 AM
I have to say that I don't have a lot of confidence that what you were doing in those vids is going to help you stop a real takedown attempt.

"In all of them your legs were more or less straight"

I find straight helps with movement and prefer more move over stand when facing a charge, perhaps.

"and you didn't change your level much at all."

Bending too much (passed my feet), I might lose leverage. Also, the far ther forward I might think the more momentum the person has to move me. Every bit that I am passed the front of my toes is room for me to absorb force but unless I nullify it completely, the remaining force carries my leaning backwards, then to my neutral, then over. Even nullified that commitment is near enough one hundred percent that any action after, I'm a puppy. Because there is more than the one technique likely, I must choose actions that give me significant options After the one technique I can see and prepare for the unseen technique that I begin to feel or had expected as one of several practical attempts After the one technique I could see. Or some such perhaps.

"You seem to be making a lot of assumptions about where the head will be"

That's right. To have an effective take down there is a range of position the charger Must have for reasonable charges. From observation the range can be head near waist level hitting with the shoulder, to head at level of target's neck/upper chest (this usually might be accompanied by yelling of some sort--particularly a build-up vocalization perhaps). Theoretically acknowledging this range as correct-ish. My Address must vary to be appropriate for the high and the low of the charge...but It seemed to me there were only so many places the head would be for a charge, and I have absolutely predetermined a fairly unyielding range. Please, find a charge with head position significantly outside of my stated determined range.

"and don't (as far as I can tell) address the momentum of the shot at all."

I am thinking I might probabally stumble some. I am not including moves that occure when force is applied,it seems. They will naturally show-up, with understanding. There is a step back. And there is a turn--a pivot on the front foot-heel. This allows the head through. Guiding the head though slightly pulls the momentum away supposedly and my pivot is in the front because the force is passing. The closer I am to the force the more control I have at directing/nudging/guiding it.

In some versions I pivot from faceing the person to seeing the person's back. This might be called blowby, where a forcehits against you and you barely move but move or get moved enough that the brunt of the force passes, perhaps some such.

Also, I guard my shoulder because it seems if they are going by me the hand which would have clinched my buttock/thigh/knee/leg can sweep over my shoulder and connect with my face or grab neck or hair on the way passed or down.

"Have you drilled against a live opponent?"

Basically No. Only in my Mind and that was not full speed. As the leg take part of the charge does not happen with how I address the charge...I No_Know

No_Know

unkokusai
07-16-2008, 11:14 AM
"Have you drilled against a live opponent?"

Basically No. Only in my Mind and that was not full speed

Um, yeah, ok, you really need to, because what you are doing is not likely to have the effect you are hoping for.

No_Know
07-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Not likely in what ways or for what reasons, if you would.

No_Know
07-17-2008, 05:11 AM
Thank you for your mention, unkokusai. Yes it might not have the results I theorized. And subject to continuous testing I should be more greatly informed.

I No_Know

No_Know
12-28-2008, 11:23 PM
TCC clip 3;No_Know's Understanding (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=49167620)

Seeing how it looks this moment. Wild Horse's Mane Part and Brush Knee and Push and Repulse Monkey.

No_Know

No_Know
12-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Feet should straitghten in the front at the beginning of the technique. But this is more about show what you understand.

I No_Know.

No_Know
01-19-2010, 09:38 PM
a look at taichi's 13... (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=102348681)