PDA

View Full Version : Once Upon A Time In China 2

Black_Talon
07-26-2001, 08:44 AM
Is it any good? I love part one, Jet Li is awesome in it, even with the wire work!!!

------------------
Some may boast of prowess bold,
Of the school they think so grand,
But there's a Spirit, can ne'er be told,
It's the Spirit of Aggieland
------------------
------------------
UT Unlimited, your premier mapping site!
Ace82@unrealism.com
UT Unlimited (http://utu.unrealism.com)

Lost_Disciple
07-26-2001, 11:49 AM
I've always like Part 2 better.
Thought part 1 was a bit slow, cuz I saw part 2 first.
No Yuen Biao tho, Tang Fung is played by a HK comedian, he's funnier at least.
I guess it depends on what of Part 1 that you liked, whether or not you'll like Part 2.

Crimson Phoenix
07-26-2001, 08:13 PM
Part 2 is usually considered the best of the six OUATIC movies...indeed, it has more rythm and develops good caracters depth...plus Donnie Yen is awesome in it, as usual...I could watch the first brawl with staffs between him and jet all day long!!

Phoenix

Black_Talon
07-26-2001, 08:20 PM
Cool, I guess I'll add OUATIC 2 to my next in line to buy DVD list :)

------------------
------------------
------------------
Ace82@unrealism.com

EmptyCup
07-27-2001, 06:06 AM
part 1 had some pretty good fights in it but I'll always prefer part 2 as there are two major fights at the end. One with the lotus cult leader and one with Donny with poles. If you liked Once Upon a Time in China, be sure to check out another Wong Fei Hung movie starring Donny as well - Iron Monkey. The fights are not as good as those in OUATIC 1 & 2 but still "up there" in terms of quality.

Btw, did anyone notice that the screen shots from the back of Once Upon a Time in China 3 were actually from 2? :) I didn't like the third one, mostly because there was no hand-to-hand, one-on-one fight in the end but just a exaggerated lion-dance melee...

Jimbo
07-27-2001, 05:42 PM
I agree that part 2 is the best of the series. I especially liked Jet Li's 2 fights against Donnie Yen. This movie seemed to have the best cinematography as well.

I hated parts 3 and 4. Part 5 was okay but IMO mainly because it was very different (it was copied in many ways by Shanghai Noon).
Jim

Ky-Fi
07-28-2001, 03:21 PM
Well, I guess I'm in the minority here, as I preferred the first one. The plot, cinematography, acting and story were all great in part 2, but I felt it relied heavier on wires and speeded-up camera, and I didn't think the fights looked as good or as natural as they did in the first one. It's still a good movie, though.

"Without tradition, art is a flock of sheep without a shepherd; without innovation it is a corpse." --Sir Winston Churchill

Design Sifu
07-29-2001, 09:13 PM
I liked Iron Monkey better....

Black_Talon
07-29-2001, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the advice, I just bought OUATIC 2, so I'll watch it and let you know which one I like better!!

------------------
------------------
------------------
Ace82@unrealism.com

wufupaul
07-29-2001, 10:07 PM
I agree that the first one was better, it didn't drag on as long. The whole White Lotus cult scenes just dragged on, it brought the movie down and made it kinda boring. I think the fights in the first one were better, too.

"Who is your daddy, and what does he do?"-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Drunken Monkey
08-04-2001, 04:25 AM
dont get me wrong part two was good but the story to part one was much better.

jethro
02-19-2006, 04:16 PM
not quite as good as 1, more action, but not quite as high of quality. The stick fight between yen and li is the only thing that compared to 1,s 5-6 fights. I still can't find iron-robe yim from the 1st in the 2nd one, can anybody tell me who he plays because imdb says shen yee-kwan is in # 2.

GeneChing
02-23-2006, 04:13 PM
I think OUATIC1 vs. OUATIC2 (http://www.martialartsmart.net/dvd4003.html) is one of the most longstanding debates in kung fu films (although some would argue Kill Bill 1 vs. Kill Bill 2 is equally heated). I prefer OUATIC2 (and KB1).

Shaolinlueb
02-25-2006, 01:36 PM
I liked 2 cause of the fight scene between jet and donnie. that was bad ass. kill bill 1 was so much better then kill bill 2

jethro
02-25-2006, 08:47 PM
I liked 2 cause of the fight scene between jet and donnie. that was bad ass. kill bill 1 was so much better then kill bill 2

As in KB 2, that's all I wanted to say.

GreenCloudCLF
03-06-2006, 07:23 AM
Man, someone went back and dredged up a 5 year old thread...that's weird...

I like OUATIC2 cause of the Yen man

I like the fight scenes in KB1 more...

But love the eye pluckingscene in KB2...mmmmm crane claw..

Judge Pen
03-06-2006, 08:58 AM
OUATIC 2 by a hair.

Kill Bill 2 was a better over-all "film", but the action was so much better in KB1. Though, it's really unfair to compare them as they are really one movie. I'm looking forward to the long awaited "original cut" of Kill Bill so we can see how it all comes together as one film.

Shaolinlueb
03-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Btw, did anyone notice that the screen shots from the back of Once Upon a Time in China 3 were actually from 2? :)

yeah i noticed that too. yeah they reversed the packaging. smart move there.

actually i liked 4 and 5. much better then i liked 3. never saw 6 really.

Judge Pen
03-06-2006, 05:55 PM
3 stunk. I have the Once Upon a Time in China and America at home. Never watched it. Is it worth it?

Shaolinlueb
03-06-2006, 06:55 PM
3 stunk. I have the Once Upon a Time in China and America at home. Never watched it. Is it worth it?

well sammo hung did the fight choreo if i remember correctly. so yeah those should be good.