PDA

View Full Version : Needle Through Brick

robertish
06-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Season of Light Studios recently completed a feature documentary titled Needle Through Brick, about the struggle for survival of traditional art and culture in the face of a rapidly changing and modernizing world. The doc is told from the perspective of time-honored Chinese Kung Fu masters living in Borneo, East Malaysia.

Currently Needle Through Brick is one of the 10 films in an online competition at the first ever “indieflix “ film festival. The entire film is available for viewing on the web and then the viewer is able to vote on the film.

Check it out at http://myfestival.indieflix.com its amazing.

Three Harmonies
03-29-2010, 08:16 AM
For those interested I have written a short review of "Needle Through Brick" a documentary about the traditional Chinese arts as taught in Borneo. To check it out click here! (http://threeharmonies.blogspot.com/2010/03/needle-through-brick-trailer_29.html)

Cheers
Jake

GeneChing
04-29-2010, 04:28 PM
It's excellent - one of the best martial arts documentaries to come out in years. My highest recommendations!

Tao Of The Fist
04-29-2010, 10:21 PM
It's excellent - one of the best martial arts documentaries to come out in years. My highest recommendations!

I really enjoyed it, glad my teacher made it required viewing :cool:

r.(shaolin)
05-03-2010, 08:37 AM
A film about the struggle for survival of traditional kungfu. (http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/needle_through_brick)

r.

David Jamieson
05-03-2010, 11:05 AM
A film about the struggle for survival of traditional kungfu. (http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/needle_through_brick)

r.

will give it a watch later.

MasterKiller
05-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Good! :cool:

ittokaos
05-05-2010, 12:02 PM
It's also now on Hulu.

sanjuro_ronin
05-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Finally managed to see the whole thing.
I liked it.
The feiyu shows were a nice touch, eh Gene?
LOL !
So, the problem with TCMA is that it is too hard, too much hard work and kids are not interested.
Yet, they are interested in Wushu, who's training is just as hard, if not harder, physically.
Kung fu takes too long to learn to be good at, unlike other systems like MT, boxing and such.
These are valid critiques of HOW kung fu is taught, NOT the problem with kung fu.
These old people that were complaining ARE the problem, they don't seem to realize that they are the reason their kung fu may die.

Kung fu is NOT too hard to learn nor does it take too long to be good at it, this is a big load of BS !

GeneChing
07-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Needle Through Brick is our latest online sweepstakes prize. (http://www.kungfumagazine.net/index.html) Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 07/22/2010. Good luck!

GeneChing
07-23-2010, 04:55 PM
See our Needle Through Brick DVD winners thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57884).

jdhowland
07-24-2010, 09:24 AM
I really enjoyed it, glad my teacher made it required viewing :cool:

Hah! I was glad to read this. I bought the disc when it came out and forced my students to watch it. Mainly so they could get some idea of the attitudes and the problems pertaining to the TCMA. We don't have a Chinatown here and there is little chance for my students to be exposed to the Chinese values. I talk about them but its not the same as seeing the people who live them. After watching the film one of my guys said, "Wow. I can kind of see what you were talking about."

That one comment was worth the price of the DVD.

jd

Faruq
07-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Is there a link to purchase the DVD?

GeneChing
07-27-2010, 11:54 AM
http://needlethroughbrick.com/

I linked it through the winners page above, but just discovered that link wouldn't function for some weird reason. Maybe it's because it doesn't have a www prefix. I fixed it on that page and am posting it here.

Faruq
07-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks, Gene. Though I found it on the winner's page shortly after having posted the request. Duh! Sorry, bra.

teetsao
08-22-2010, 05:53 PM
pretty goo little fim.

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/needle_through_brick/?sms_ss=facebook

i had some problems getting it to load. and a little hint, once it starts playing dont mess witth it or it is hard to get going again properly.

Northwind
08-23-2010, 08:23 AM
I have the dvd and must concur - it is quite a nice lil documentary for sure.

Dragonzbane76
08-23-2010, 09:04 AM
won't let you watch it from the link you posted. I've been wanting to watch this for awhile but every time it seems I can't get link or can't find.

Jorge
08-23-2010, 09:27 AM
pretty goo little fim.

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/needle_through_brick/?sms_ss=facebook

i had some problems getting it to load. and a little hint, once it starts playing dont mess witth it or it is hard to get going again properly.

Try Hulu.com! Once on Hulu, type the name of the movie in the upper right hand search field or just check out their documentaries page and it should be listed.

Bless,

Buby

Syn7
08-23-2010, 02:18 PM
LOOKS AWESOME!!!
cant wait to see it...

anywhere i can see it without registering???

Faruq
08-23-2010, 02:32 PM
I wonder how the Tai Chi guys at the beginning would do against the Chen Tai Chi guys? I've seen the doc 2 or 3 times so far, and was impressed since most people here in the U.S. couldn't successfully defend themselves against a fly with their Tai Chi, lol. I've never seen such a combat oriented version, and it made me wonder if that's what Dr Jwing Ming Yang was saying his Taiwanese Tai Chi practice was like. The scenery of Borneo was beautiful as well. And of course Eric Ling is all over the internet with his blog and websites and stuff so it was interesting to see how his gong fu was. I enjoyed it thoroughly. It seemed everyone spoke Mandarin of some kind except the old Hung Gar master who was in the stall at the market with his grandkids or great-grandkids. The film was interesting on so many different levels. I just wish all those masters and grandmasters had shown some breaking of bricks or coconuts or whatever....

Dragonzbane76
08-25-2010, 03:24 AM
I liked it.
LOL !
So, the problem with TCMA is that it is too hard, too much hard work and kids are not interested.
Yet, they are interested in Wushu, who's training is just as hard, if not harder, physically.
Kung fu takes too long to learn to be good at, unlike other systems like MT, boxing and such.
These are valid critiques of HOW kung fu is taught, NOT the problem with kung fu.
These old people that were complaining ARE the problem, they don't seem to realize that they are the reason their kung fu may die.

Kung fu is NOT too hard to learn nor does it take too long to be good at it, this is a big load of BS !

finished watching it yesterday as well. I have to be honest and agree with you ronin. There are far many other problems besides it being to "hard" that are killing off the traditional aspects of kung fu. IMO it's evolution, plain and simple. We are lucky to be seeing the culmination of many arts these days, the thoughts and idea's of many cultures compiled and perfected. Kung fu will always hold a place of high regard for me, but in reality "traditional" thought processes are dying out they are antique in manner and people want the "cutting" edge. Just not enough people interested in the traditional.

Xian
12-07-2012, 03:25 PM
The site seems does not to work anymore doesnt it ? I wanted to order the DVD but I can only find it via the English Amazone version. As I am not from the states and I do not use money order, I cant buy it there. Are the producers are here on board or does anyone know another site where I can buy and pay via Pay Pal the DVD ?

Best regards,
Xian

Faruq
12-07-2012, 07:02 PM
The site seems does not to work anymore doesnt it ? I wanted to order the DVD but I can only find it via the English Amazone version. As I am not from the states and I do not use money order, I cant buy it there. Are the producers are here on board or does anyone know another site where I can buy and pay via Pay Pal the DVD ?

Best regards,
Xian

Eric Ling was in it, maybe he can help you with more info.

Xian
12-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Eric Ling was in it, maybe he can help you with more info.

Yeah he appeared in the Documentary but he wasnt the maker of it.

Best regards,
Xian

Faruq
12-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Yeah he appeared in the Documentary but he wasnt the maker of it.

Best regards,
Xian

Obviously. But what I meant was that since he's a martial arts blogger who makes all kinds of martial arts information available via the web through his website or blog, since he was interviewed in the movie he obviously knows about it, so he might maintain contact with the makers or just keep abreast of news about the film since they were trying to get it viewed by as many people as possible. Not a sure thing, but it was just a possibility I thought might be helpful. It may not be, who knows. It was just a thought.

Xian
12-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Ah okay. I am sorry I did not get your point. Now I understand you. I give a try, thanks for the advice.

Best regards,
Xian

ghostexorcist
12-17-2012, 07:17 PM
You can watch it for free on the movie website Crackle. Here is the link:

http://www.crackle.com/c/Needle_Through_Brick/Needle_Through_Brick/2485760?c=US

Lokhopkuen
01-07-2014, 01:00 PM
I liked it.
LOL !

One of the strongest things said in the film is that kung fu has been culturally devalued. People want to learn for free, no government support and generally not respected by people in society at large. This resonates so deeply on so many levels.

Yet on a personal level I feel very fulfilled from a life in the traditional martial arts. My health has been enriched by it, socially I have been enriched by it and I feel no disappointment because I practice and teach it not for the money but instead to enrich the lives of the people in my circle.

Traditional gung fu is not declining, it's alive and well in our group as well as others.

Lokhopkuen
01-07-2014, 01:13 PM
finished watching it yesterday as well. I have to be honest and agree with you ronin. There are far many other problems besides it being to "hard" that are killing off the traditional aspects of kung fu. IMO it's evolution, plain and simple. We are lucky to be seeing the culmination of many arts these days, the thoughts and idea's of many cultures compiled and perfected. Kung fu will always hold a place of high regard for me, but in reality "traditional" thought processes are dying out they are antique in manner and people want the "cutting" edge. Just not enough people interested in the traditional.

As some one who knows nothing about the practice of tradition martial art except what you have heard, it tickles me to see you make statements like "in reality "traditional" thought processes are dying out they are antique in manner and people want the "cutting" edge. Just not enough people interested in the traditional." You could not be any more far from the truth friend. In our Northern Shaolim group the generation before me still practices and teaches, my classmates and I still practice and spread the art and my lower classmates have started new generations of students.

My goodness even David Ross, a man who spat all sorts of vitriol regarding traditional kung fu has began offering classes in the tradition of his late great teacher of Lama Pai.

Traditional gung fu is alive and well except apparently on the Kung Fu magazine discussion forums:rolleyes:

Lokhopkuen
01-07-2014, 05:41 PM
I wish more people (especially here ) had your outlook. Kung fu has enriched me in so many ways beyond the martial aspects which is the true reason that I stay involved after all of these years.

Jimbo
01-07-2014, 07:07 PM
I have a copy of this DVD. Bought it several years ago. An instructor might train hundreds of students, and of those hundreds, there are only a handful of students with talent and potential. Of that handful, one, or maybe, rarely, two step forward. TCMA is a way of life. Most people pursue it as a pastime or hobby. Very few people hang in there for the long haul. Even among those that do hang in there for ten or more years, there is no guarantee they are talented or want to achieve full potential. I do not think the teachers shown in the video realize that they are that one or two. They are unique and they are looking for that uniqueness in everyone they attempt to teach, hence, they become discouraged because they cannot find their own unique gift in all others. Their gift is why they are sifu. Universalization is the concept that martial arts are for everybody. Martial arts are not for everybody. Martial arts are for very few people. My Gong Fu birthday is January 19th. It is 42 years to the day, when I walked into the training hall and met my teacher. Meeting him changed my life. I have hung in there and have survived the training, the fights, the disappointments, and the sagas that have accompanied martial training. What I have learned and experienced cannot be bought, bargained, or stolen. It is mine and mine alone. It is my unique stamp in the world and I celebrate it. Would that the teachers in the video could celebrate themselves in such a way. The martial arts are world treasures and we are treasure bearers. What a gift and honor.

Very good post.

I remember one of my teachers (in northern style) telling me that it's much harder to be a teacher than a student. Because a student just needs to find a good teacher and train long, hard and properly. Whereas a teacher must find one very good student among the countless who may come to him. He didn't just count the naturally talented, either. If you're in the MA long enough, you see a LOT of students with 'natural talent' come and go, regardless of the art. Most of whom probably quit MA training altogether. Although at least a degree of aptitude is necessary, the most important thing is passion for training, determination, and long-term consistency. Even if it meant that the student eventually left to continue his training with other teachers/systems, so long as he/she is training and growing.

Faux Newbie
01-17-2014, 04:28 PM
I liked it, but not because of the lamentation aspect of it. I think things were harder for kung fu thirty years ago than they are now in many ways. Probably even worse fifty years before that. I'm betting there were some bad times back in the Qing Dynasty. Maybe once or twice before.