PDA

View Full Version : Help please.

GODsWarrior
06-09-2008, 02:24 PM
I have been interested in Martial Arts for a while now, but I do not know that much about it, so I have many questions. Here is one: what are the main aspects of the MA? Aspects as in striking, wrestling, pressure points, etc.. If possible I would like to know which Martial Art is best when it comes to each aspect. Thanks. GOD Bless

SanHeChuan
06-09-2008, 02:35 PM
One, There is no such thing as a BEST MA. There are martial arts that specialize in certain areas, but there are far too many martial arts for me to explain each one to you. There are over 300 martial arts from China alone.

Two, It would be an exercise if futility to discuss martial arts that are not available to you. So, tell us which MA are available in your area, and then we can explain those MA too you and try to match them with your needs.

Three, Go out and buy some literature like MA for Dummies to at least get a basic understanding of the different MA's.

GODsWarrior
06-09-2008, 03:12 PM
One, There is no such thing as a BEST MA. There are martial arts that specialize in certain areas, but there are far too many martial arts for me to explain each one to you. There are over 300 martial arts from China alone.

Two, It would be an exercise if futility to discuss martial arts that are not available to you. So, tell us which MA are available in your area, and then we can explain those MA too you and try to match them with your needs.

Three, Go out and buy some literature like MA for Dummies to at least get a basic understanding of the different MA's.

I know there is no "best" MA. I meant best as in which MA covers the most in that area. But, I agree I need to check the MA's available to me, good idea. Also, I am not completely clueless when it comes to MA, as I may have came off. I know about Martial Arts, I just have no experience in Martial Arts. I will post the Arts that are available to me soon. Thanks. GOD Bless

David Jamieson
06-09-2008, 03:18 PM
If you are interested in it, then reading is a good place to start.

check out the ezine here, it's got many articles that cover many aspects of chinese martial arts in particular.

the focus of this site and it's parent company being chinese martial arts and so, you will see more info about that than anything else here.

there are guys here who practice everything from karate, to mouth boxing to nutriding and a few of us practice kungfu even from a few different styles.

but definitely check the archive. and ask yourself what your goals are in learning and practicing martial arts. do you want to learn to fight? do you want to fight for money? do you want to become more fit? are you concerned with your health? Do you want a holistic lifestyle that include martial training? etc etc.

It's always good to have a goal, even when you understand that martial arts training has no end, it's a matter of beginning and continuing and your biggest stumbling block is going to be your own ability to commit...even when your ego is bruised. :)

GODsWarrior
06-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Here are the arts that are available to me: Karate, TKD, Muay Thai, Jeet Kune Do, BJJ, Combat Submission Wrestling, Fillipino MA (not sure if that's specific enough), Goshinjitsu, Kobudo, Kempo, Wing Chun.

lkfmdc
06-09-2008, 03:26 PM
In the ancient annals, there are many ancient martial arts

Oom Pa was a striking art which specialized in the 27 ways of foot attack, very effective and similar to Korean Taekyun

However, for wrestling you might want to try the dragon, Lum, with its twisting making many joint locks

Of all the ancient pressure point arts, the most dangerous was simply known as "Ba"

I have heard that a certain gentleman, in the quest for the BEST martial art, attempted to combine all these elements

It was strangely many years even before Bruce Lee

That are he called "Oom Pa Lum Ba"

GODsWarrior
06-09-2008, 03:26 PM
If you are interested in it, then reading is a good place to start.

check out the ezine here, it's got many articles that cover many aspects of chinese martial arts in particular.

the focus of this site and it's parent company being chinese martial arts and so, you will see more info about that than anything else here.

there are guys here who practice everything from karate, to mouth boxing to nutriding and a few of us practice kungfu even from a few different styles.

but definitely check the archive. and ask yourself what your goals are in learning and practicing martial arts. do you want to learn to fight? do you want to fight for money? do you want to become more fit? are you concerned with your health? Do you want a holistic lifestyle that include martial training? etc etc.

It's always good to have a goal, even when you understand that martial arts training has no end, it's a matter of beginning and continuing and your biggest stumbling block is going to be your own ability to commit...even when your ego is bruised. :)

Thank you brother. GOD Bless

David Jamieson
06-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Here are the arts that are available to me: Karate, TKD, Muay Thai, Jeet Kune Do, BJJ, Combat Submission Wrestling, Fillipino MA (not sure if that's specific enough), Goshinjitsu, Kobudo, Kempo, Wing Chun.

Check them out. The one that interests you and the training hall you feel most comfortable in is a good place to start.

GODsWarrior
06-09-2008, 03:33 PM
In the ancient annals, there are many ancient martial arts

Oom Pa was a striking art which specialized in the 27 ways of foot attack, very effective and similar to Korean Taekyun

However, for wrestling you might want to try the dragon, Lum, with its twisting making many joint locks

Of all the ancient pressure point arts, the most dangerous was simply known as "Ba"

I have heard that a certain gentleman, in the quest for the BEST martial art, attempted to combine all these elements

It was strangely many years even before Bruce Lee

Is that true? If so, reading that makes kung fu that much more interesting.

GODsWarrior
06-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Check them out. The one that interests you and the training hall you feel most comfortable in is a good place to start.

I have been wanting to start JKD for the last two or so years. Do you think that would be a good base for my MA. I was also wanting to take Wing Chun at first, but Bruce Lee once stated that it was not as effective as he hoped after it took him 3 mins to defeat his opponent. What are your thoughts on that? Also, I have been very interested in Shaolin Monks, to me they are among the truest martial artists ever. What is their MA called? Shaolin Kung-Fu?

GODsWarrior
06-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Those three MA's are the ones that I am most interested in, once I know more about the Shaolin style and whether or not it is available to me, I think I will be able to make my decision.

cjurakpt
06-09-2008, 05:28 PM
a rare photo (http://www.tjtvland.com/sitebuilder/images/OompaLoompa-192x195.png) of one of the style's recent proponents performing "Golden Egg Polishing Palms"

as for GW: dude, just shop around - check out each place that interests you; watch then try a class; talk to students; interview with the instructor; you want to find a place that makes sense for you both in terms of the curriculum and the vibe;

Wood Dragon
06-09-2008, 07:18 PM

What type of Karate (and with what Association)? Depending on the answer, it might be worth checking out (hint: hard contact sparring is a must).

The Muay Thai gym is definetly worth a look. If it looks like they are fighters (i.e. few fat folks) I'd give it a shot.

BJJ? Maybe. Depends on whether the instructors are worth their salt.

Oso
06-09-2008, 07:28 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

yea, at all of you

Mr Punch
06-09-2008, 10:24 PM
You do realise that Martial Arts lead to Love, and by Love I mean the Leurve of Satan, and that it is Hot? And Oily?

Especially the manlove arts like wrestling and BJJ. BJJ even has BJ in its title!

Here (http://www.comprehensivechristian.com/The-Martial-Arts-and-the-Christian-comprehensivechristian.asp) is some proof, that especially JKD is Bruce Lee ('Dragon'... as in 'Wormwood', as in 'The Great Lizard', 'The Serpent', 'The Spectacular Iguana', 'The Scaley P eckerwood Gila Monster'... starting to see the connection?).

Drake
06-09-2008, 10:32 PM
I hear Jesus trained Ashida Kim.

zapruder_bjj
06-09-2008, 10:33 PM
You do realise that Martial Arts lead to Love, and by Love I mean the Leurve of Satan, and that it is Hot? And Oily?

Especially the manlove arts like wrestling and BJJ. BJJ even has BJ in its title!

Here (http://www.comprehensivechristian.com/The-Martial-Arts-and-the-Christian-comprehensivechristian.asp) is some proof, that especially JKD is Bruce Lee ('Dragon'... as in 'Wormwood', as in 'The Great Lizard', 'The Serpent', 'The Spectacular Iguana', 'The Scaley P eckerwood Gila Monster'... starting to see the connection?).

Seems like the apostle Paul would have LOVED BJJ then...

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-09-2008, 11:00 PM
no jesus taught mr miyagi the crucifix stance, which he later adapted into the crane stance to avoid religious persecution in feudal japan before passing it on to ralph machio. the original stance would allow the skilled practcioner to shoot spikes from the hands and some masters would wear jesus's hat in early no holds barred fights and headbutt with it to the eyes and throat.

judas taught ashida kim.

Drake
06-10-2008, 02:31 AM
Seems like the apostle Paul would have LOVED BJ then...

There we go... alllll fixed...

Drake
06-10-2008, 02:35 AM
no jesus taught mr miyagi the crucifix stance, which he later adapted into the crane stance to avoid religious persecution in feudal japan before passing it on to ralph machio. the original stance would allow the skilled practcioner to shoot spikes from the hands and some masters would wear jesus's hat in early no holds barred fights and headbutt with it to the eyes and throat.

judas taught ashida kim.

That's not possible!!!!! Mr. Miyagi was only 3 years old when Jesus opened his school. Are you telling me that Jesus would teach an outsider Cru Ci Fix and make him the cofounder of his school???? The dates don't match! You can't even read Chinese! I think it's great that you are supporting the world of CCF, but your dates and stories are only an attempt to validate the Ralph Machio school.

Miyagi also did not leave and study under Moses, the same teacher that helped Jesus found CCF. And there was no Red Sea Monk!

SimonM
06-11-2008, 12:48 PM
The main skills in martial arts: striking, throwing, locking (some devide between standing locks and ground), footwork, weapons.

There are two answers to the "which style is best" question:

1) The diplomatic answer "There is no best style"
2) The answer that everyone is secretly thinking "mine"

I'd suggest you go out to kwoons, dojos and gyms in the area and shop around. See what schools seem like a good fit for you and what you want to draw from your martial arts training.

David Jamieson
06-11-2008, 05:43 PM
I have been wanting to start JKD for the last two or so years. Do you think that would be a good base for my MA. I was also wanting to take Wing Chun at first, but Bruce Lee once stated that it was not as effective as he hoped after it took him 3 mins to defeat his opponent. What are your thoughts on that? Also, I have been very interested in Shaolin Monks, to me they are among the truest martial artists ever. What is their MA called? Shaolin Kung-Fu?

I think you should start and then continue and disregard stories, rumours and anecdotes as best you can for a while, because you will hear all sorts of stuff about this or that in martial arts.

jkd is made to compliment any martial art and isn't actually a martial art in and of itself so much as it is a concept around owning and making a martial art your own as opposed to mimicking your teachers. Having said that, any exponent of jkd worth his salt will teach you basics first, even Bruce Lee had people learn his Jun Fan KungFu (which was basically wing chun or whatever he had learned from william cheung and a bit of this and that thrown in to beef up the holes where he had not continued his study.) but anyway, it's here nor there.

go to where you are comfortable and feel good about being there, Begin! :)

GODsWarrior
06-11-2008, 06:02 PM
I think you should start and then continue and disregard stories, rumours and anecdotes as best you can for a while, because you will hear all sorts of stuff about this or that in martial arts.

jkd is made to compliment any martial art and isn't actually a martial art in and of itself so much as it is a concept around owning and making a martial art your own as opposed to mimicking your teachers. Having said that, any exponent of jkd worth his salt will teach you basics first, even Bruce Lee had people learn his Jun Fan KungFu (which was basically wing chun or whatever he had learned from william cheung and a bit of this and that thrown in to beef up the holes where he had not continued his study.) but anyway, it's here nor there.

go to where you are comfortable and feel good about being there, Begin! :)

I am most certainly going to do that. Thank you brother. Thank you all. GOD Bless

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-12-2008, 09:44 AM
That's not possible!!!!! Mr. Miyagi was only 3 years old when Jesus opened his school. Are you telling me that Jesus would teach an outsider Cru Ci Fix and make him the cofounder of his school???? The dates don't match! You can't even read Chinese! I think it's great that you are supporting the world of CCF, but your dates and stories are only an attempt to validate the Ralph Machio school.

Miyagi also did not leave and study under Moses, the same teacher that helped Jesus found CCF. And there was no Red Sea Monk!

i no understand how to lineage war :(