PDA

View Full Version : My mental endurance sucks!

Su Lin
06-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Ok so these days my fitness level is getting pretty good but my mental endurance isn't great at all. On a Monday I have 1 hours mma with an hours break then 1 1/2 hours kung fu. Both classes have sparring, plus I'm taking on new techniques in mma, but by the time it comes to kung fu I struggle to even remember my basic forms! I have my black sash grading coming up in October, basically it's a weekends course then the syllabus grading at 5pm-8pm on the Sunday night. If I carry on like this I'll be a wreck mentally :D

Anyone got any tips on increasing mental endurance or is it something that will come along eventually?

sanjuro_ronin
06-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Do them on different days.

Su Lin
06-10-2008, 08:24 AM
I can't as those are the only class options I have :D Anyway I want to be able to train for longer so it's irrelevant what I do when really.

sanjuro_ronin
06-10-2008, 08:41 AM
From your original post it seems the issue is retaining information, not mental endurance.

shuaichiao
06-10-2008, 08:46 AM
If you're talking about forgetting forms you have known for a while then it's probably just fatigue. As your endurance gets better you won't have as much trouble. You might feel ok doing both but that doesn't mean it's not taxing you. Pluss you trying to remember newly learned material from the first class so it's dividing your attention.

MightyB
06-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Make sure you're getting enough sleep.

Sleep deprivation causes mental fatigue and retention problems.

RickMatz
06-10-2008, 06:46 PM
To work on your mental endurance, try standing stake practice.

Su Lin
06-11-2008, 02:17 AM
What's that?

Chief Fox
06-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Meditate between your classes.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-12-2008, 07:40 PM
you should squat more.

Suntzu
06-12-2008, 09:47 PM
quit kung fu..... forms wont make u better at mma

gda is correct....

Water Dragon
06-12-2008, 09:56 PM
eat something light before kung fu.

GreenCloudCLF
06-13-2008, 10:39 AM
quit kung fu..... forms wont make u better at mma

gda is correct....

cjurakpt
06-13-2008, 11:07 AM
your report suggests that you are trying to learn two discreet yet similar motor skill sets simultaneously, which is challenging; the analogy would be that you would try to learn German and Dutch at the same time: they are discreet in that they are different languages they are similar in that they are both "germanic" and contain many similar sounds that sometimes stand for the same thing and sometimes don't (meaning you can't count on it as a guide either way); so, you may have a move that is similar to both skill sets,, but the way you are "supposed" to use it is different; or, conversely, you have different moves to accomplish the same task, and your neuromuscular system may favor one over the other, making retention of both difficult; to compound it, if you have different teachers for each, that may make it harder: if it was one teacher for both, he/she would be able to help you bridge that discrepancy, knowing both systems as well as how you do things specifically;

a suggestion is to not do both on the same day; or, at least switch the order from time to time, so the kung fu is not always the second thing you do; or drop one until you get to a significantly different level of skill in the other, so the acquisition issues are different from one to the other

No_Know
06-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Take a short stick---pen, bar, stick not more than a pound. Flip it once. Go forten to onehundred half flips. Do this throughout a day or at least once.

The other is to pull a pen from it's cap an return the other end in the cap. repeat this. Do ten to one hundred returns.

Both are actually to be done to one thousand but adjusted for your possible availability to exercise long as low~.

I No_Know

RickMatz
06-13-2008, 07:21 PM
What's that?

http://www.answers.com/topic/zhan-zhuang?cat=health

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-14-2008, 12:53 AM
Take a short stick---pen, bar, stick not more than a pound. Flip it once. Go forten to onehundred half flips. Do this throughout a day or at least once.

The other is to pull a pen from it's cap an return the other end in the cap. repeat this. Do ten to one hundred returns.

Both are actually to be done to one thousand but adjusted for your possible availability to exercise long as low~.

I No_Know

you fuking terrify me man.

No_Know
06-14-2008, 05:20 PM
While making-up Squirrel I used what I understood was Kung-Fu's model--History, Principles, forms, weapons. I didn't really have history which is why I would not regard Squirrel a Kung-Fu. I made this stuff-up put it together out of concept and Hmmmm. I do not mean to compare it to authentic established stuff. Principle there was at least what I liked of fighting strategy of hit at one level , another becomes available--hit high then low, hit low then high...Forms started from the first form which started as a squirrel stands. And weapons I liked cybols from movies and the flute and fan. But cymbols are not mine although cool. A flute seemed to be a short stick. And a fan was a short stick with webbing and is super nice to win a fight and be there hitting cool poses fanning yourself with the losers defeated around you or limping off or running away. This makes a fan a cool points item yet the durability seems low. it has it's uses and I still carry one. I might could use it for protection defense situations but I could also use a flyeror paper cup hopefully, a fan for me is just a nice thing more than a weapon. I chose railroad tie as Squirrel's weapon (main (the brain is perhaps the primary Squirrel weapon).

I dropped fighting theory from Squirrel and only block or get hit--attacking created greater vulnerability. I come-up with exercises. And one night I drew a pen from it's cap like a sword drawn from it's scabbard--me thinking about a Squirrel technique perhaps. But there got to be a concept of thousands, in Squirrel--doing things a thousand times. Probabally from Japanese swordsmanship understanding I got mixed-up. But one does a thing a thousand times and that one will attain a level of competancy at that such that it no longer needs to be trained again for a while anyway--a thousand times oat one sitting or a several times a day every day until it's done.

I did only one thing a thousand times. Not sure if it was half flip of a railroad spike or of a fan, or sword drawing a pen from its cap then replace with the other end. But whichever, I thought it to be a vehicle foto focus--improving precision or mental keen-ness/acuity/ endurance?/durability/toughness...it seemd a thing to be done.

No_Know

cjurakpt
06-14-2008, 07:10 PM
you fuking terrify me man.

a pithier phrase was ne'er uttered by man...