PDA

View Full Version : Now, THAT is wooden dummy training !

sanjuro_ronin
06-10-2008, 12:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLu5L1MvKG8

:D

k gledhill
06-10-2008, 05:29 PM
hah...move the dummy away and he'll still be there ;)

bennyvt
06-11-2008, 08:23 AM
I heard he learnt off WSL for a while and he taught him bits of the dummy.

sanjuro_ronin
06-11-2008, 08:31 AM
I know its a movie, but I have only seen a couple of other people do the wooden dummy like that, I wonder why?

LoneTiger108
06-12-2008, 12:13 PM
My thoughts too sanjuro!

Thing is, this looks similar to what we would cal 'pak jong' training. Utilizing some sets from SLT etc.

Has nobody ever seen/practised their whole SLT on the wooden man??

sanjuro_ronin
06-12-2008, 12:21 PM
My thoughts too sanjuro!

Thing is, this looks similar to what we would cal 'pak jong' training. Utilizing some sets from SLT etc.

Has nobody ever seen/practised their whole SLT on the wooden man??

I know that the "SET" wooden dummy moves are just a starting point, but to be truthful, that is usally all one sees/does.
Rarely do you see that kind of speed and power and intent that Jackie displays in that clip, movie or not.

LoneTiger108
06-12-2008, 12:25 PM
I know that the "SET" wooden dummy moves are just a starting point, but to be truthful, that is usally all one sees/does.
Rarely do you see that kind of speed and power and intent that Jackie displays in that clip, movie or not.

To help 'show & tell' have a look at my Sifus page of clips and check the Wooden Dummy - 'student applying techniques' link

http://www.junmo.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=107

What do you think? Its not sped up, just a bad mobile clip really but LISTEN to the dummy groan lol!!!

sanjuro_ronin
06-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Not that bad, I don't care for the grabbing part ( but that's just me) and it does look sped up, nevertheless, he is putting some "english" into his shots, is the dummy padded?

LoneTiger108
06-12-2008, 12:54 PM
... is the dummy padded?

It never really was, and isn't in the clip. In fact we rarely punched the body especially in the beginning. Our fistwork into the centreline was 'jammed' into the top two arms and the knuckles were approx 1 inch from contact. Good thing was this resulted in no injuries and hard arms!!

We commonly call this trainig 'Mui Faa Jong' or plum flower/blossom fundamentals and FWIW I think this student was less than a year old at the time...

Liddel
06-12-2008, 07:09 PM
It never really was, and isn't in the clip.

Are you refering to your own clip spencer...cause in the Rumble in the bronx clip there is a pad on the face...

Love that movie magic - talc powder to emphasise the strikes...

Have to remember that next time im showing off to the ladies.....
"ow u doin ?"

WOW Ho Kung Fu !

LOL
DREW

LoneTiger108
06-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Are you refering to your own clip spencer...cause in the Rumble in the bronx clip there is a pad on the face...

Love that movie magic - talc powder to emphasise the strikes...

Have to remember that next time im showing off to the ladies.....
"ow u doin ?"

lol! :D

Sorry Drew, I was referring to the clip I posted of one of my Sifus students on the dummy which I feel has a similar content to what we see Jackie do here in Rumble In The Bronx!!

Only 'padding' we had was a wax-type rope but that was late in training and some of us were not allowed to even hit that!! (arthritic hands n all!)

SAAMAG
06-13-2008, 02:40 PM
I think I have a clip still up on my myspace page that was done like 8 years ago of me messing around with the wooden dummy....but it was more speed than power it looks like now that I watched it again. Eh...we can all be like Jackie Chan!

HardWork8
06-13-2008, 06:32 PM
To help 'show & tell' have a look at my Sifus page of clips and check the Wooden Dummy - 'student applying techniques' link

http://www.junmo.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=107

What do you think? Its not sped up, just a bad mobile clip really but LISTEN to the dummy groan lol!!!

Great clip! For a student of one year's experience the man is great, fast, powerful and FLOWING with very hard knuckles at that.:)

LoneTiger108
06-15-2008, 07:17 AM
Great clip! For a student of one year's experience the man is great, fast, powerful and FLOWING with very hard knuckles at that.:)

Not really! Didn't you see this part of my post?

... the knuckles were approx 1 inch from contact

Sandbags were commonly used to train the fist, and pads and the like.

... I think I have a clip still up on my myspace page that was done like 8 years ago of me messing around with the wooden dummy

Haven't we all? Made Clips, I mean! I wouldn't do the online thing yet though. This student wasn't 'messing around' as such, this was a typical set for us Jun Mo types. There was NEVER any messing around!

dfl
06-20-2008, 01:07 AM
If you like that one, you'll probably like this one also:
http://www.subaru.com/sub/misc/chinese/index.html