PDA

View Full Version : What is the best style of kung fu

thenatural
06-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Hi im really into ma's and ive takeing tkd and jujistsu but lately ive been reading up on alot of diff ma's and i really want to get into kung fu, so i was wondering witch is the best style, like southen or northen, and from what ive herd there are diff stances for diff styles i was wondering wat stances there is for southen and northen, a reply would really help :) thx

.... i am typeing in a very dark room lol sry about all the typos :P

Oso
06-11-2008, 06:51 PM
mine......

thenatural
06-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Hi for a long time ive been intrested in kung fu but i dont know to much about it or what style is best, from what ive been told/read about diff styles have diff stances, i would like to know witch styles use what stances any info would really help thxs :)

im not new to ma's for quite some time ive been takeing tkd and jujitsu

TenTigers
06-11-2008, 07:48 PM
That Egyptian stuff looks pretty awesome.....

Lee Chiang Po
06-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Wing Chun. It goes real good with Jujitsu.

thenatural
06-11-2008, 08:34 PM
thxs, if any one could give me more info on this topic it would really help :)

Mr Punch
06-11-2008, 09:22 PM
The relevant word in your post is 'different', not 'best'.

Mr Punch
06-12-2008, 04:02 AM
Why are you asking the same question on two boards?

MightyB
06-12-2008, 06:11 AM
Hi for a long time ive been intrested in kung fu but i dont know to much about it or what style is best, from what ive been told/read about diff styles have diff stances, i would like to know witch styles use what stances any info would really help thxs :)

im not new to ma's for quite some time ive been takeing tkd and jujitsu

7 Star Northern Praying Mantis is the Best. Every other style is inferior and only studied by namby pamby sissies.

SimonM
06-12-2008, 06:14 AM
The best style of kung fu is the mysterious style of Congzhu Laowai, it was first transmitted to mr. Ben Dan in Shanghai by a one-legged Taoist hermit in 1666.

MasterKiller
06-12-2008, 06:27 AM
When 99.9999% of Kung Fu people fight, it all looks like Long Fist, no matter what style they train.

MightyB
06-12-2008, 06:43 AM
Shaolin Do... definitely Shaolin Do for you Natural.

SimonM
06-12-2008, 06:44 AM
It is the only martial art with a wookie in the official lineage.

BruceSteveRoy
06-12-2008, 06:50 AM
Hu Flung Pu is a good style. but only if you are the kind of person that is willing to get their hands dirty so you can learn to fight.

lkfmdc
06-12-2008, 07:05 AM
Master Sum Dum Goy created the famous Wen Hung Lo system, when done right, no can defend

MightyB
06-12-2008, 07:11 AM
Hu Flung Pu is a good style. but only if you are the kind of person that is willing to get their hands dirty so you can learn to fight.

Ah yes, the venerable Spider Monkey Style. I heard it was created by a mad hobo who was tormenting monkeys at the zoo. He was teazing the little beast with a piece of apple when sudden enlightenment hit him in the face.

MightyB
06-12-2008, 07:15 AM
Master Sum Dum Goy created the famous Wen Hung Lo system, when done right, no can defend

A demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x7-gHCLPcA

David Jamieson
06-12-2008, 07:32 AM
When 99.9999% of Kung Fu people fight, it all looks like Long Fist, no matter what style they train.

i must be one of the .0001% then. Cause i just go for short range, elbows where i can, shin kicks and pretty much your jabs, crosses, uppercuts and hooks with an occasional elbow down or a grab here and tehre when given teh opportunity and so on.

also, san shou people don't look like longfist... in fact, i don't think I've seen any actual longfist "fighting" per se come to think of it.

MasterKiller
06-12-2008, 07:45 AM
also, san shou people don't look like longfist... in fact, i don't think I've seen any actual longfist "fighting" per se come to think of it. 60% of the time, 100% of San Shou looks like Long Fist.

thenatural
06-12-2008, 08:20 AM
cuz in this bored i didnt get a good reply, yet in the other board i got some good and helpful replays... and i ment to post in the other board from the begining

thenatural
06-12-2008, 08:22 AM
thank u all for ur time and info :)

i would have replayed sooner but i was sleeping :)

Pork Chop
06-12-2008, 09:58 AM
If you're in the States, make sure you know boxing and wrestling.
It could just be a year doing both.
Every kung fu school's going to assume you already have a background in it; so when you spar don't be afraid to go full out with punches and/or takedowns.

No_Know
06-12-2008, 10:22 AM
A Hung Gar (Family) related System should have at leat five stances--Horse-riding (both knees bent feet can be twice shoulders width-mostly both feet flat); Bow and Arrow (might be called Half a Horse(-riding) Stance) (rear leg straight front knee bent-mostly both feet flat);Scissors Stance (might be called Dragon Stance or Twisting Stance(side step or twist having both knees bent-one foot flat one on the ball, Cat Stance (support leg bent slightly to extremely depending on ability and need, other legslightly bent toe part of the foot in contact with the ground (one foot flat one only in contact by the toes area of the foot; Crane Stance might be called Hanging Horse or One Leg(ged) Stance

Sevenstar Praying mantis should have more than five stances.

Hsing-I(pronounced E) has organized footwork and complexity.

Coordinating Bagua might be good for your wanting complexity, but limited on variety of stance, though high on stance usage.

Oso's should be a Five Animal style or system that would incorporate all of the Hung family stances I listed and have a good variety of techniques.

I No_Know

Wing Chun is a simplification of fighting and therefore from what you've requested I might think, it is not of interest for you to take as your first Fighting Kung-Fu Style.

Jeet Kune Do takes what is useful and leaves te rest...Low on stances except in transition, might be strong in moving stances

Northern styles had been noted for use of their legs and can have a variety of stances.

Southern is known for use of the arms (fists) and though fewer stances perhaps than the leggy North, a strong core of stance collection from which to land those fists.

I No Know

thenatural
06-12-2008, 10:28 AM
thxs a lot no_know that really helpd :) i think i can make my choose based on ur post and other things i have been reading

cjurakpt
06-12-2008, 03:29 PM
"All styles are one, but Lama Pai rules!"

GM CTS

Wood Dragon
06-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Royce could choke them all out.

BruceSteveRoy
06-13-2008, 08:53 AM
long answer: i am perplexed. the newbie is taking the ridiculous responses to a legitimate, albeit way too common question in stride. but i can't get a feel for whether he has a sense of humor about it.

anyway, the question has been asked a million times and there is no answer for what the best style is. if you told us what you wanted to get out of it and what was available to you in your area and then asked what the best style for you was then maybe you could get some straight answers.

short answer: Hung Fut

SimonM
06-13-2008, 10:55 AM
BSR: The "newbie" set off our troll detection system even before he started multi-posting his over-asked question all over the board. The fact that he took advice regarding the compatability of WC with BJJ (considering the well-known emnity between highly placed proponents of the two arts) and the greatness of styles like "hu flung poo" point to the fact that he REALLY is a troll.

Takuan
06-14-2008, 12:08 AM
QFT

yukyukyuk

Mr Punch
06-14-2008, 03:57 AM
The fact that he took advice regarding the compatability of WC with BJJ (considering the well-known emnity between highly placed proponents of the two arts)What a load of crap.

TenTigers
06-14-2008, 05:39 AM
Alan Orr seems to have no problem integrating the two either.

Mr Punch
06-14-2008, 06:00 AM
There are countless other top-flight examples too.

Simon's talking bollocks. It's OK, we all do it from time to time... hell, I'm a bit of a past-master myself.

SimonM
06-14-2008, 06:23 AM
What a load of crap.

Apparently I was talking out of my ass.

Move along, nothing to see here. :D

thenatural
06-14-2008, 01:15 PM
BSR: The "newbie" set off our troll detection system even before he started multi-posting his over-asked question all over the board. The fact that he took advice regarding the compatability of WC with BJJ (considering the well-known emnity between highly placed proponents of the two arts) and the greatness of styles like "hu flung poo" point to the fact that he REALLY is a troll.

i have three words for you, suck my ****!

SimonM
06-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Suck your asterix.

Wow, you are a word smith.

cjurakpt
06-14-2008, 08:05 PM
i have three words for you, suck my ****!

I think in your case that counts as 2 1/2 words...

BruceSteveRoy
06-15-2008, 12:05 PM
I think in your case that counts as 2 1/2 words...

awww snap!

Ginja-Ninja-75
06-16-2008, 07:19 AM
This has to be one of the most amusing threads I've read in ages. (Don't be fooled by the fact that I appear a newbie, I've just never posted on this forum. I only joined it recently as I normally only read. I'm an WC practioner of 8 years in the UK and quite used to MA protocol in these forums!).

Poor bloke (TheNatural) I was P*ssing myself over the Hu Flung Pu one!! Not to mention the one legged Taoist story! You should all take Oscars!

But yes this has to be one of the most debated of all questions. And we all know the answer, depsite us thinking our own arts are great and of course WC is the best! :-) But the bigger answer is: ITS NOT THE ART ITSELF BUT THE PERSON BEHIND THE ART THAT MAKES IT GREAT.

WC works for me, but then I have the body type for it as opposed to say BJJ. JDK worked for ole Bruce, and it may work for other people, but that was HIS slant on things. Remember that whenever people combine/ simplify an art they miss bits out - they take what is best for them and leave out what doesn't suit their needs. This is not a judgement - but bear in mind when you learn an abbreviated system that bits are left out may benefit you.

The answer, I feel, dear Mr TheNatural, is for you to do with Kung Fu what you are doing with TKD etc - go and look and try. Only after trying different styles will you know what may or may not suit you. Take advice, sure (there were a couple of really good posts on here) but try things out. You cannot read FEELING from a book, you cannot learn all from text.

On a lighter note lads - good fun reading :-)

sanjuro_ronin
06-16-2008, 07:38 AM
60% of the time, 100% of San Shou looks like Long Fist.

88% of people know that.

sanjuro_ronin
06-16-2008, 07:41 AM
Royce could choke them all out.

True fact, Royce Gracie once made a corpse tap.
Of course Chuck Norris once brought the dead back to life, just so he could kill him again.