PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Cha Quan video

Redfish
06-14-2008, 05:04 AM
Hi all

I have just finished helping to shoot a short video about a teacher of Cha Quan in Shanghai.

Shaun Hogan is 48 and has a hip replacement, but was inspired to keep training daily by his 71 year old teacher who never misses a morning. The video is in two parts with the second part focusing on the teacher and the forms. Some weapons there too including fighting sticks vs spear.

The website is not officially launched yet but it's online. www.kungfuology.com

Check it out.

Also, personally it was my first time to see Cha Quan and I'd like to know what Shaolin people think about it.

RF

nuxia
06-14-2008, 09:11 AM
I think it's cool, I'm going to show it to my mom (who is 63)... Different than the cha fist at my school.

r.(shaolin)
06-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Hi all

The website is not officially launched yet but it's online. www.kungfuology.com

Also, personally it was my first time to see Cha Quan and I'd like to know what Shaolin people think about it.

RF

The first set resembles Tan Tui. The straight sword has similarities to the Shaolin Qi Xing Wen Jian (少林七星文劍上) we do. Do you know the name of the straight sword set being done?
From the snippet of the monk spade set, it is correctly carried on the shoulder, in the traditional manner, and is used with the proper end forwards - unlike what is shown here (http://exposures.aperture.org/shaolin/).
Basically looks like the long fist part of the traditional Shaolin we do.

r.

Redfish
06-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Hi r.(shaolin)

The group hand set is their Tan Tui. But that morning, Pu laoshi was just throwing out loads of sets and we were along for the ride so I didn't get half the names, I will E-mail Shaun and ask. I'm not sure of the name of Shaun's fist set he plays in the first video either.

Also, Pu Laoshi drifts between Shanghainese and heavily accented Mandarin so it was tough to catch a lot of the info in the two hour shoot.

RF