PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recognize this black tiger form?

MasterKiller
06-14-2008, 06:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXK7JV7O94w

CLFNole
06-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Wasn't that an audition for a new Mortal Combat movie?

David Jamieson
06-16-2008, 09:23 AM
That form appears to be more along the lines of contemporary wushu as opposed to what is shown in the Shantung black Tiger Book that was published some years ago.

To be fair, it could be some other set from the system that wasn't covered in the book.

But also, it looks a little like the new Shaolin version...at least in parts and that form was only created a short time ago.

jmd161
06-16-2008, 04:21 PM
I agree, it could be from the new Shantung Black Tiger forms they've created due to the huge demand for anything Black Tiger. It is among the most requested styles today.

jeff:)

B-Rad
06-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Looks like a "retrofitted" version of the new Shaolin Leopard fist routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DEUOkC8Wrw&NR=1

I think it looks like he took some of the major poses, removed the acrobatics, and added a bunch of clawing to fill in the blanks (while using a tiger claw hand form rather than the smaller leopard fist). I trained contemporary wushu for 5 solid years and was around it for twice as long. Once in awhile something like this will really stick out to me :-P

Shaolin Wookie
06-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Doesn't look like the Shangtung BT I know. It looks like it has elements of Black Tiger Rips the Heart, but more in line with the wushu versions I've seen of generic BT. Being such that he seems to just strike poses A and B and C and doesn't seem to have much knowledge of what happens between A and B and C on the "and's", I'd say he's copying it from some other source. He's got no power either, and BT coils and unwinds and strikes with lots of power. The hands sometimes move quickly in clawing motions, but often one hand is "claw/clearing" as the other strikes over the top. It's not like "hiya-hiya-hiya" rapid, weak strikes......

But hey, if he's bringing back the Rambo headband, I'm all for the dude. Come to think of it, I just might start sporting the daniel-san.

TenTigers
06-16-2008, 09:44 PM
well, it doesn't compare with the Bruce LeRoy coolie hat.

Lama Pai Sifu
06-17-2008, 05:57 AM
Doesn't look like the Shangtung BT I know. It looks like it has elements of Black Tiger Rips the Heart, but more in line with the wushu versions I've seen of generic BT. Being such that he seems to just strike poses A and B and C and doesn't seem to have much knowledge of what happens between A and B and C on the "and's", I'd say he's copying it from some other source. He's got no power either, and BT coils and unwinds and strikes with lots of power. The hands sometimes move quickly in clawing motions, but often one hand is "claw/clearing" as the other strikes over the top. It's not like "hiya-hiya-hiya" rapid, weak strikes......

Gee, John,...I mean Seppuku.....uh...Shaolin Wookie, I didn't know Shaolin Do had any "black tiger". Stick to being a clown. Your actual martial critiques are not quite as funny. Don't waste your time contributing here....you are the main reason why so many people don't even post here anymore. It is almost a guarantee that any serious thread will have one of your alter egos pop up and post your ridiculous dribble. One can only wonder what type of life you actually have, that you must resort to using this forum (and three screen names, mind you) as a sneeze guard for your comedic aspirations.

Out of every troll, poser and anonymous poster on here, you sir, are by far the most pathetic. Funny at times, yes, I'll agree to that. But very sad and pathetic.

Its people like you that inhibit the progress of worthwhile Kung-Fu discussions on here.

Have some decency and get rid of your alter egos. Either that, or get some therapy. Geez.

jmd161
06-17-2008, 10:37 AM
I didn't know Shaolin Do had any "black tiger".

Actually... I saw some Shaolin-Do Black Tiger forms. They use to have them online at one time on the Atlanta Shaolin-Do school website. It looked nothing like anything much less Black Tiger, i'd ever seen. This video here would be "superior" to what they actually called Black Tiger 1 and 2.:eek:

MasterKiller
06-23-2008, 08:59 AM
I was just curious about the form. I was told the video is from a demo in the early 90s.

BTW, here is a Shaolin-Do tiger form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9t0XDan0Ls

CLFNole
06-23-2008, 12:38 PM

That guy has some mad skills. :eek: Good lord where do these people come from?

firepalm
06-23-2008, 01:27 PM
I was just curious about the form. I was told the video is from a demo in the early 90s.

OMG what the fock was that garbage?

tattooedmonk
06-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Actually... I saw some Shaolin-Do Black Tiger forms............... It looked nothing like anything much less Black Tiger, i'd ever seen. This video here would be "superior" to what they actually called Black Tiger 1 and 2.:eek:

jeff:) Actually this is incorrect. When you say you saw them ,what do you mean by that??? Were you taught them ?? Did you see someone that just learned them practice them??

tattooedmonk
06-23-2008, 01:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9t0XDan0LsThis is "loosely "based on the actual form I learned. I will not critique my Shaolin Brother in public. I will ask him if he minds me posting my private comments to him about this performance .

TenTigers
06-23-2008, 01:49 PM
why even waste your time?

tattooedmonk
06-23-2008, 02:02 PM
why even waste your time?In regards to what?? I feel that everyone deserves a chance to redeem themselves .. I believe that if he relearned this form it would barely look like this, if at all.

TenTigers
06-23-2008, 02:14 PM
do you have a clip showing what this set is supposed to look like when done correctly by a well-qualified,experienced practitioner?

tattooedmonk
06-23-2008, 02:40 PM
do you have a clip showing what this set is supposed to look like when done correctly by a well-qualified,experienced practitioner?I will see what I can do......

secretgecko
06-25-2008, 06:56 AM

OMFG! WTF was that?

If you paid money to go to a school they were obviously teaching "Take My Dough" and you should definitely request a refund!

jmd161
06-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Actually this is incorrect. When you say you saw them ,what do you mean by that??? Were you taught them ?? Did you see someone that just learned them practice them??

Like I posted before they were on the Atlanta, GA Shaolin Center website. They were being performed by black belts on the website. I was taught Black Tiger forms, but not by any Shaolin-Do or affiliated school. I practice Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun (Shaolin Black Tiger) It looked nothing like anything we do or any other line of Black Tiger I've ever seen.

Have I seen all lines of Black Tiger?

No!

But I have seen the known lines Fu Jow Pai, Shantung, Hak Fu Pai, and of course Hak Fu Mun, it's not from any of those lines and looks pretty much like the tiger form done in this thread by the Shaolin-Do stylist.

Jeff:)

tattooedmonk
06-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Like I posted before they were on the Atlanta, GA Shaolin Center website. They were being performed by black belts on the website. I was taught Black Tiger forms, but not by any Shaolin-Do or affiliated school. I practice Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun (Shaolin Black Tiger) It looked nothing like anything we do or any other line of Black Tiger I've ever seen.

Have I seen all lines of Black Tiger?

No!

But I have seen the known lines Fu Jow Pai, Shantung, Hak Fu Pai, and of course Hak Fu Mun, it's not from any of those lines and looks pretty much like the tiger form done in this thread by the Shaolin-Do stylist.

Jeff:)Cool. I understand and respect your perspective on this subject.

This performance of Fe Hu Chu Tung is sub-par in my opinion . (Sorry KFJ)

In his defense, One of the problems with CSC/ SD is there is way too much material being taught, not enough time perfecting what you know , they rush you through the forms, move on to the next and have people testing way before they should.

GMT has lost control of the system and standards are lower than they ever have been.

It is no wonder that all of the material looks the same . I am disappointed at the low level of skill performed in the most recent postings of forms by CSC / SD er's.

I am transfering material from vhs right now. I am planning on posting some videos of pieces of forms in slow motions so people can see the quality of the material. the material is top notch ( I know because I have studied other CMAs outside of CSC /SD ) It is the performances that are sub par.

I just call it how I see it. I believe most people try to add unneccesary fluidity into their forms, do not use a full range of motion and really have no clue how to apply it martially.

This is not directed at anyone on this boards just to most of the practitioners .Not everyone will do it at a high level because, they do not have the time and effort to spend doing it , but it does n't mean that they can't.

jmd161
06-25-2008, 11:16 AM
I'm at work and really don't have the time to try and search deeply, but this form looks very close if not exactly like the form they had posted on the Atlanta website.

It was sometime ago that i saw those vids, so excuse me if this does not look like the forms you know.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8G1ydUA6Q9M

The useage of Fu Jow (tiger claw shape) does not make a form tiger or black tiger. I've seen people change hand shape and call forms something they clearly are not. Not aimed at you just speaking out loudly.

tattooedmonk
06-25-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm at work and really don't have the time to try and search deeply, but this form looks very close if not exactly like the form they had posted on the Atlanta website.

It was sometime ago that i saw those vids, so excuse me if this does not look like the forms you know.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8G1ydUA6Q9M

The useage of Fu Jow (tiger claw shape) does not make a form tiger or black tiger. I've seen people change hand shape and call forms something they clearly are not. Not aimed at you just speaking out loudly.

jeff:) So ,what is your feeling about this form??

jmd161
06-25-2008, 12:21 PM
So ,what is your feeling about this form??

I liked the bow/salute...:D

Looks more like cat paw than black tiger to me, but to each their own. Not much, if, any real applicable techniques in that entire form... But you have to judge it for what it is, a form/performance.

CLFNole
06-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Personally I loved (sarcasim in voice) the one-legged section, looks like it was taken straight out of DFWs Shaolin Five Animals book.

David Jamieson
06-27-2008, 05:48 AM
I haven't seen all there is of Black Tiger either, but I have had considerable tastes from different versions now.

The similarities I find are that some lean towards CLF type of motion characteristics while others and the primary style of my own learning lean strongly towards motion characteristics of Hung.

There is a lot of recent "black tiger" material surfacing purely out of the demand for it and so new forms have been created to fill that void. Obviously they are rushed and hurried into manifestation as many of them do not show the principles associated with tiger styling let alone black tiger styling in solo practice methods.