PDA

View Full Version : MTV's MADE

GeneChing
06-17-2008, 09:10 AM
I don't know about "MASSIVE Audience of Martial Artists". Anyone seen this yet? Here's the official MTV site (http://www.mtv.com/ontv/dyn/made/series.jhtml). The kid looks like Jack Black (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39752) as a cub.

TV Show Draws MASSIVE Audience of Martial Artists (http://www.expertclick.com/NewsReleaseWire/default.cfm?Action=ReleaseDetail&ID=21900)
Milwaukee, WI 53005 June 16 2008

MILWAUKEE, WI, June 16, 2008 – Tens of thousands of martial artists -- of all ages from across the United States -- were doing something unusual on Saturday afternoon. They were watching television. Sitting in front of a TV set isn't a normal weekend activity for disciplined, active and accomplished martial artists, but the June 14th airwaves included a must-watch show.

Surveys repeatedly demonstrate that the vast majority of the American public has an inaccurate understanding of martial arts. Most people think it is just about kicking and punching -- which is totally false. The pervasiveness of "ultimate fighting" (often referred to as "mixed martial arts") on TV has aggravated this false perception.

Traditional martial arts instruction isn't about fighting and violence. Instead, it emphasizes the development of self-esteem, self-discipline, focus and concentration, physical fitness and competency in self defense. In other words, martial arts is about becoming a better human being.

The reason so many martial artists were watching TV on June 14th was that they were eager to see martial arts portrayed in the correct way on MADE, the extremely popular MTV show where a teenager is transformed ("made") into a different person. In the 100th episode of MADE that premiered on Saturday, a sedentary Wisconsin teenager takes on the challenge of being "made" into a disciplined martial artist.

Master Chan Lee, the martial arts teacher in this episode, has been on a mission to correct the perception of traditional martial arts for years --- via how he runs his five martial arts schools (www.JKLeeBlackBelt.com) in the Milwaukee area and his leadership of two national martial arts associations. This TV show was his best opportunity yet to fulfill this mission so, a few weeks ago, he launched a national campaign to notify his fellow martial artists of the time and date of the premier airing. His hope was that MTV would see the response and schedule future episodes where a teen is transformed by martial arts.

By all accounts his efforts were a success and tens of thousands of martial artists tuned into MTV on Saturday afternoon to watch martial arts being accurately portrayed.

To learn more about the transformational benefits of martial arts, please visit the Better Kids Institute (www.BetterKidsInstitute.com).

冠木侍
06-20-2008, 06:21 PM
MADE is show that in all accounts should be ignorable but I can't. It is somewhat interesting at times. This particular episode I missed completely. Maybe cuz my tv watching has toned down a bit or I could have been watching something else...(The Ultimate Fighter anyone?).

But thank you Gene for letting us know about this. Of course, anything that gives a positive light to martial arts is always a good thing. I will be on the lookout for this episode.

Next, they should make a TRUE LIFE episode. The already did one about Muay Thai and Street Car racing just to name a few...

Take care.

Oso
06-27-2008, 07:06 AM
I actually did see that while flipping channels and stopped to watch it.

I think the kid did a good job of stepping up and seemed to be emotionally affected by it all and by his teacher.

It was kind of funny and sad in a way that the teacher seemed to blow off his emotional reactions.

hopefully this kid will stick with it and hopefully other 'sedentary' kids will get inspired