PDA

View Full Version : Compliments for your martial art?

MartialDev
06-17-2008, 09:31 PM
What is the nicest compliment that anyone has ever paid your martial art performance/practice? Or, if you can't remember, then what compliment would you most like to hear?

SPJ
06-18-2008, 07:23 AM
I think consistent or uniform is the best compliment.

1. fast or speed, is alright, but there are moves have to be slow or not so fast.

2. powerful is alright, but there are some fine power that are difficult to see. not saying everything else is a crude power.

--

consistency meaning you are doing things over and over the "same" way.

when you need to be fast, you are fast, when need to be slow, U R slow.

power is only a beauty in the eyes of beholders meaning that only the practitioner of the same style would know all the fine prints or details.

--

:D:);)

David Jamieson
06-18-2008, 09:18 AM
That a stretcher was required to move the other guy off the floor. :)

mkriii
06-18-2008, 09:43 AM
It would either be that my ridge hand strike was beautiful (which happened to bloody the mouth of the person I was sparring), his mom freaked out on that. Or it would be the compliment that I was super freaky flexible. I can do the Jean Claude splitz on two chairs (Chinese splitz and American splitz as well).

IronWeasel
06-18-2008, 10:10 AM
What is the nicest compliment that anyone has ever paid your martial art performance/practice? Or, if you can't remember, then what compliment would you most like to hear?

He didn't have to say anything. Lying there and quietly bleeding seemed to capture the moment.

TenTigers
06-18-2008, 10:39 AM
'Good!"-said by my Hung Kuen teacher who only knows two words-"good," and "again!"
(I'm gonna kill the guy who taught him, "Again.")

"You did well today." -said by my SPM teacher (that was enough for me)

"Rik's form is impeccable"-said by a former Sifu to his students

"Acckk! That was a good choke." -said by my Shuai Jiao teacher

"I haven't seen Lion Dancing like that since I was a child!" -said to me by an elderly man with tears in his eyes.

"Happy Father's Day, Sifu" -said to me by some of my students.

"My husband's out of town..." oops! nevermind.

The Willow Sword
06-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Seems ages ago but i remember once when my mom and i moved to california, this was back in the 80's,i was a kid. Well anyway we had moved not too far from the beach in this apartment complex that had this weird old japanese maintainence man, anyway i was about to go ride my bike, there was this gate i had to open(wooden)but i did not want to put my bike down ,i decided to yell out a Kia and i did a side kick to the gate and it flew open and knocked down this kid who was on the other side. Man was i embarrased:o. anyway the kid got up and said "WOW was THAT Karate"? I just brushed it off and said "yeah i took some courses at the YMCA". Well that kid thought i was just great:). I dont remember much what happened after that, i think i went to a beach party and met some cool guys there. i guess that was the best compliment i ever got.

Pease, TWS

SPJ
06-18-2008, 10:45 AM
"I haven't seen Lion Dancing like that since I was a child!" -said to me by an elderly man with tears in his eyes.

so true.

I am a big fan for lion dance since a kid.

--

This would be a great compliment. ranking A+.

:D;):)

Lucas
06-18-2008, 12:06 PM
My favorite after a performance was when my Sifu would say:

"Mmmmm"

Like he was sitting down to a delicious feast. If you heard that you knew you performed well.

RD'S Alias - 1A
06-18-2008, 12:46 PM
That'll do pig, That'll do...

Pork Chop
06-18-2008, 02:32 PM
That'll do pig, That'll do...

d@mmit! you stole mine!!!!

TenTigers
06-18-2008, 02:39 PM
who's yer Sifu, Judy Tenuta?

NJM
06-18-2008, 02:48 PM
My favorite after a performance was when my Sifu would say:

"Mmmmm"

Like he was sitting down to a delicious feast. If you heard that you knew you performed well.

http://www.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/Quagmire.jpg

WinterPalm
06-18-2008, 04:52 PM
"You're a good fighter, man." -The dude that beat me in Vancouver for the gold medal.

Laukarbo
06-18-2008, 11:16 PM
when my student told me after his first boxing lesson " at the boxing gym they said I have a very strong punch" and then he said to the instructor "thats from my hung kuen training"...

:D

golden arhat
06-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Or it would be the compliment that I was super freaky flexible. I can do the Jean Claude splitz on two chairs (Chinese splitz and American splitz as well).

i suppose some guys pay alot for you, no ?

Shaolin
06-22-2008, 07:52 PM
When a student tells me that the school changed their life for the better. Thoughs are the best compliments for me.

Peace and Love,
Shaolin Kung Fu

cjurakpt
06-22-2008, 08:50 PM
After competing in "black belt" self-defense division at a tournament in Atlantic City, a local, evidently well-known / respected taiji teacher came up to me and said he had been waiting for 25 years to see someone demo taiji apps the way that they were supposed to look.

Being told by my taij sifu after ~11 years with him that when we pushed, he needed to go ~80% in order to match me (a real step up after he told me at ~7 years, "You really have no idea at all about what taiji is, do you?").

The look on a nationally known CLF sifu's face after I beat his son at NACMAF in '93 for 1st place in the advanced division.

The look on Ten Tiger's face when that woman's husband came home...

Shaolin Wookie
06-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Or, if you can't remember, then what compliment would you most like to hear?

"The Shaolin Temple sits on a throne of lies. As newly discovered documents testify, about a hundred years ago, a hairy man learned all that Shaolin had to teach, killed some ninjas in the rafters with his liu fu tao sixth sense training, said: "screw you guys, I'm going home," and then walked into the mists of a mountaiin refuge, only to resurface to kill the occasional ninja in the rafters."

Yeah, that would be awesome.

firepalm
06-23-2008, 03:04 AM
This was years ago but a Tai Chi guy saw me practising on my own in a room in a fitness center we both went to & told me I was the best martial artist he had ever seen. I told him he really needed to get out a lot more. ;)

mkriii
06-23-2008, 08:25 AM
i suppose some guys pay alot for you, no ?

No. I'm cheap. I only charge $60 a month and only do classes of groups of three or less. That way they get more individual attention.

TenTigers
06-23-2008, 01:46 PM
"The look on Ten Tiger's face when that woman's husband came home"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:eek:

golden arhat
06-23-2008, 05:33 PM
No. I'm cheap. I only charge $60 a month and only do classes of groups of three or less. That way they get more individual attention.

i hope your actually this retarded and not a troll

it makes it all the more awesome