PDA

View Full Version : 13th Annual Wong Fei Hung All Kung Fu Championships

The Whyzyrd
06-20-2008, 07:18 AM
13th Annual Wong Fei Hung North Eastern All Kung Fu Championships

The 13th Annual Wong Fei Hung North Eastern All Kung Fu Championships will be held on:
Saturday, September 13, 2008

Presented by Yeeʼs Hung Ga International Kung Fu Association

The event will be held at: Saint Peters College, Yanitelli Recreational Life Center in Jersey City, New Jersey.
Registration Starts at 8 am
Tournament begins at 9:30 am
All Fighting Divisions, Southern Short forms, Internal and Wushu will begin first.

See www.yeeshungga.com for event times, listings, and more info. Or contact Roberto Alicea at (973) 772-8988 or titsinkuen@yahoo.com

Top five (5) winning schools will receive a beautiful custom made championship banner from China.[/list]

736 Monmouth Road
Cream Ridge, NJ 08514
(201) 679 1646

The Whyzyrd
09-07-2008, 05:22 AM
Less than 1 week remains before the Wong Fei Hung Tournament!

We look forward to a great event this year and hope to see all of you there.

Cream Ridge, NJ 08514
(201) 679 1646

DMK
09-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Never heard of Master Yees Tournament .
I have to start checking more often. What is his tournament like?
Is it more southern, northern, or wushu-ish?

TenTigers
09-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Great tournament this week. The judging was fair, (especially the ring I reffed at!)
No, in all honesty, I saw some great judging, and very few if any injuries. The competitors seemed pretty happy. I know my guys enjoyed themselves, winning Golds in their divisions.
Sifu Pedro Cepero-Yee made it a point to mention in the judges meeting that the judges need to be aware that as Southern Long-Hand stylists, we throw alot of gwa, sow, cup, and charp choys, and that these strikes need to be recognized.

YEA! It was nice to know that all my years of whining didn't fall on deaf ears!

Raymond Wong's quote,"Let's Keep the Kung-Fu in Kung-Fu" was echoed at the meeting, to nods and approvals.

I liked one thing they did that I had not seen at other tournaments-when a competitor was late to a ring, they would announce their name and competitor's ID number over the PA system-several times, loud and clear. I think that was a great idea. It is an improvement over cupping your hands and trying to shout out their name!
All in all, a good time. I got to see some old friends, make some new ones, and get back in time for dinner at the Korean BBQ in Flushing.
(ok, they are open 24/7, but you know what I mean)

sjnation
09-17-2008, 12:40 AM
How did the shuaijiao divisions go? good turnout?

banditshaw
09-17-2008, 12:46 AM
Great tournament this week. The judging was fair, (especially the ring I reffed at!)
No, in all honesty, I saw some great judging, and very few if any injuries. The competitors seemed pretty happy. I know my guys enjoyed themselves, winning Golds in their divisions.
Sifu Pedro Cepero-Yee made it a point to mention in the judges meeting that the judges need to be aware that as Southern Long-Hand stylists, we throw alot of gwa, sow, cup, and charp choys, and that these strikes need to be recognized.

YEA! It was nice to know that all my years of whining didn't fall on deaf ears!

Raymond Wong's quote,"Let's Keep the Kung-Fu in Kung-Fu" was echoed at the meeting, to nods and approvals.

I liked one thing they did that I had not seen at other tournaments-when a competitor was late to a ring, they would announce their name and competitor's ID number over the PA system-several times, loud and clear. I think that was a great idea. It is an improvement over cupping your hands and trying to shout out their name!
All in all, a good time. I got to see some old friends, make some new ones, and get back in time for dinner at the Korean BBQ in Flushing.
(ok, they are open 24/7, but you know what I mean)

Congrats to you and your team Rik.
One day I'll get over that way to check the WFH tourney out.

TenTigers
09-17-2008, 06:45 AM
Thnx, Bandit! Though it wasn't so much of a team this year-just a few guys. (one of my guys was grounded-ah, kids these days!)
The shuai-Jiao divisions went pretty smoothly-from what I saw-didn't watch the whole thing. Black Taoist was competing and held his own against two big guys who had some pretty good skillz. I saw some really nice, clean throws from all three competitors. It's one thing to claim that your system has throws, etc. But to go in and play against guys who do nothing BUT throws, and give them a run for their money-well, that really proves it.

The thing I like about the Shuai Jiao competitions is that they seem to have the best sportsmanship. There can be no bais, no missed points. One guy is standing, the other is on the mat. Both know who got the point. Both competitors smile at each other, nod their heads and go again. I think there should be more of these events.