PDA

View Full Version : Chi Sao event offical DVD fight clip

Alan Orr
06-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Hi Guys

This is the first offical Chi Sao International open DVD fight

Simon Liste ( Chu Sau Lei Wing Chun) vs Aaron Baum ( Chu Sau Lei Wing Chun)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDEPNCo8AbU

My best

Alan

Phil Redmond
06-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Hi Guys

My best

Alan
I've seen a few chi sao comps and I was one of the judges at a chi sao event in Ohio. After seeing these events I wasn't a fan of chi sao comps. Yours is the best I've seen so far. Big props. :)

Alan Orr
06-24-2008, 03:01 PM
I've seen a few chi sao comps and I was one of the judges at a chi sao event in Ohio. After seeing these events I wasn't a fan of chi sao comps. Yours is the best I've seen so far. Big props. :)

Hi Phil

Thanks for your feedback. Thats great to hear. I was in the same mind set as you, but I thought we need to do something to show what wing chun can do. So I was in two minds. So kind words from you are excellent to hear.

Much thanks

Alan

sanjuro_ronin
06-25-2008, 04:25 AM
Great Clip Alan.
Are you guys working on any new DVD series?

Alan Orr
06-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Great Clip Alan.
Are you guys working on any new DVD series?

Many thanks.

My new series is http://www.alanorr.com/htdocs/products/extremwingchun.html

Its a very good series. Very functional Wing Chun.

Best

Alan

KPM
06-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Many thanks.

Best

Alan

I have them all! They are great! One of the best series of instructional tapes that I have in my collection. These are DVDs that make me say...I've got to try that! They have definitely influenced the way I do my Wing Chun. :D

bennyvt
06-29-2008, 02:46 AM
Hi, I went to the first Chi sao comp in china about 2000. It was the dumbest thing I had ever seen. They were wearing tae kwon do chest plates and head gear with dust googles. You could only hit he head with the finger part of your hands. This meant that everyone just slapped. You got more points for people hitting the ground and going out so it looked more like sumo with chest punching. The funniest one was this guy leaning to about 45 degrees off the ground and punching this guys chest. The dust googoles kept on getting slapped off and at one point it came off, the referee put them on upsode down and couldnt get the head gear on. Ive got it on video it was very funny.
I have never seen a comp that can really work, you need to have a system that scores points for being able to hit the opponent without being hit. It just turns into a hitting contest, two people hitting each other at the same time. The main idea in chi sao is to be able to hit them without being hit yourself and putting yourself in a position to hit them more.

Alan Orr
06-29-2008, 07:57 AM
I have them all! They are great! One of the best series of instructional tapes that I have in my collection. These are DVDs that make me say...I've got to try that! They have definitely influenced the way I do my Wing Chun. :D

Many thanks. Happy to see that you are getting a lot out of the DVD's.

My best

Alan

Alan Orr
06-29-2008, 08:04 AM
Hi, I went to the first Chi sao comp in china about 2000. It was the dumbest thing I had ever seen. They were wearing tae kwon do chest plates and head gear with dust googles. You could only hit he head with the finger part of your hands. This meant that everyone just slapped. You got more points for people hitting the ground and going out so it looked more like sumo with chest punching. The funniest one was this guy leaning to about 45 degrees off the ground and punching this guys chest. The dust googoles kept on getting slapped off and at one point it came off, the referee put them on upsode down and couldnt get the head gear on. Ive got it on video it was very funny.
I have never seen a comp that can really work, you need to have a system that scores points for being able to hit the opponent without being hit. It just turns into a hitting contest, two people hitting each other at the same time. The main idea in chi sao is to be able to hit them without being hit yourself and putting yourself in a position to hit them more.

I agree with you on chi sao comps with to much protection. Thats why we set up something different.

Rather that talk of a negitive event, why not talk on a positive event.

It a real fight you may end up be able to hit someone, but they will often hit you back at the same time ( thats the real world). So we wanted to be able to show you must be able to hit and control you opponent and limit the hits you take in the process. Its more like a real event. If you watched the clips you will see the better guys are not just trading. They make the most hits and have control the balance of the opponents.

Next year we are thinking of having the first minute rolling only to show who has better balance and structure control, then start with hits. So make it a 3 min round total.

Best

Alan

sanjuro_ronin
07-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Many thanks.

Best

Alan

That's not "new".
:eek:

Alan Orr
07-03-2008, 11:17 AM
That's not "new".
:eek:

I see what you mean. They are not new this week. They are the new set they I have out, rather that my first set. I have a few new things in the process of development right now.

Best

Alan

Kris Wu Tang
07-04-2008, 04:54 AM
i think allan was brave putting something like this on in one of the worlds largest martial art public forums. Having witnessed the event myself I thought it was very impressive and probably one of the closest things to an 'actual' kung fu contest without full contact to the vital points. I think it also helped that Allan himself did most of the refereeing as he knew what to look for, and what to stop if it got beyond control.

People spouting negative words about how 'real' it is should maybe put their name down for next year, surely if its not 'real' you will have enough skill to adapt to the situation? thats one of the fundemental aspects of kung fu surely?

this was the first go and in my opinion not bad at all, over time this competition will grow and hopefully enlighten more people into our martial art.

Alan Orr
07-04-2008, 05:40 PM
i think allan was brave putting something like this on in one of the worlds largest martial art public forums. Having witnessed the event myself I thought it was very impressive and probably one of the closest things to an 'actual' kung fu contest without full contact to the vital points. I think it also helped that Allan himself did most of the refereeing as he knew what to look for, and what to stop if it got beyond control.

People spouting negative words about how 'real' it is should maybe put their name down for next year, surely if its not 'real' you will have enough skill to adapt to the situation? thats one of the fundemental aspects of kung fu surely?

this was the first go and in my opinion not bad at all, over time this competition will grow and hopefully enlighten more people into our martial art.

Thank you for your post. Wise words.

My best

Alan

HardWork8
07-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Hi Guys

My best

Alan

Thank you for the Vid. best of luck with your Wing Chun innovations.:)

Alan Orr
07-06-2008, 07:39 AM
Thank you for the Vid. best of luck with your Wing Chun innovations.:)

Many thanks!

Alan