PDA

View Full Version : Zen & The Martial Arts

Nexus
09-05-2001, 08:54 PM
Zen, popular as it is, and widely practiced has some great stories that are worth sharing. This is not by any means to popularize Zen but simply to be something fun for the forum and keep people thinking about some interesting stuff, so in this particular topic, I will be tossing in a Zen Story every now and then (although you may have already seen it, or one like it) and people can post their comments and thoughts on the story. Also, anyone else is welcome to post their stories/ideas here also as of course it is a public forum. I just thought this might be something fun and outside of the "norm" hence we can avoid the usual arguments and struggle over which MA is ultimate ;)

--- The Story Begins ---
The wife of a man became very sick. On her deathbed, she said to him, "I love you so much! I don't want to leave you, and I don't want you to betray me. Promise that you will not see any other women once I die, or I will come back to haunt you."

For several months after her death, the husband did avoid other women, but then he met someone and fell in love. On the night that they were engaged to be married, the ghost of his former wife appeared to him. She blamed him for not keeping the promise, and every night thereafter she returned to taunt him. The ghost would remind him of everything that transpired between him and his fiancee that day, even to the point of repeating, word for word, their conversations. It upset him so badly that he couldn't sleep at all.

Desperate, he sought the advice of a Zen master who lived near the village. "This is a very clever ghost," the master said upon hearing the man's story. "It is!" replied the man. "She remembers every detail of what I say and do. It knows everything!" The master smiled, "You should admire such a ghost, but I will tell you what to do the next time you see it."

That night the ghost returned. The man responded just as the master had advised. "You are such a wise ghost," the man said, "You know that I can hide nothing from you. If you can answer me one question, I will break off the engagement and remain single for the rest of my life." "Ask your question," the ghost replied. The man scooped up a handful of beans from a large bag on the floor, "Tell me exactly how many beans there are in my hand."

At that moment the ghost disappeared and never returned.

Thoughts?

A spirit cannot necessarily know what we cannot know. If indeed it was the own mans mind that haunted him each night, he asked himself a question that indeed he could not answer and in that the power of his haunting dissapeared. That which he gave power, this memory or ghost as it may of his wife who knew everything he did no longer had the power when it did not know what he could not know either.

What are your thoughts! :)

- Nexus

<font size="1">"Time, space, the whole universe - just an illusion! Often said, philosophically verifiable, even scientifically explainable. It's the <font color="blue">'just'</font> which makes the honest mind go crazy and the <font color="blue">ego</font> go berserk." - Hans Taeger</font>

Nexus
09-05-2001, 09:01 PM
A martial arts student approached his teacher with a question. "I'd like to improve my knowledge of the martial arts. In addition to learning from you, I'd like to study with another teacher in order to learn another style. What do you think of this idea?"
"The hunter who chases two rabbits," answered the master, "catches neither one."

- Nexus

<font size="1">"Time, space, the whole universe - just an illusion! Often said, philosophically verifiable, even scientifically explainable. It's the <font color="blue">'just'</font> which makes the honest mind go crazy and the <font color="blue">ego</font> go berserk." - Hans Taeger</font>

Budokan
09-05-2001, 09:05 PM
The first story didn't seem to have any particular "Zen" qualities that I could see. The second one is an oldie, but a goodie...

K. Mark Hoover

Nexus
09-05-2001, 09:11 PM
Zen qualities are those qualities which we draw from ourselves. In not knowing how many beans were in his hand, he drew from himself the realization that even the ghost (which he likely created in his mind) did not know everything either, and in that, it lost its power over him. At least thats one interpretation of it. But maybe it didn't apply to how your concept of Zen is in which case there will be more stories to come!

- Nexus

shaolinboxer
09-05-2001, 09:18 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head.
When the man in the story asks the ghost a question dependent on knowledge that he does not possess, he creates a paradox in which he destroys his self as manfested in the ghost.

I think the message is don't torture yourself with guilt, as the pressure is created by you and exists only within you.

I have always been intrigued by the classic "what is the sound of one hand clapping?".

It seems that the heart of the Koan relies on ideas about perception. Or rather, perception itself. In order to perceive something that cannot "exist" there must not be anything besides the self.

What do you think about that one?

shaolinboxer
09-05-2001, 09:19 PM
I think the first story is about Zen, the rabbit chasing story is just plain old wisdom.

Budokan
09-05-2001, 09:24 PM
Has anyone read "Zen in the Martial Arts" by Joe Hyams? I did last week and thought it was pretty good.

By the way,

Q: What is the sound of one hand clapping?

A: A slap across the face.

K. Mark Hoover

shaolinboxer
09-05-2001, 09:31 PM
Zen and Aikido is also good, but obviously aikido related.

Have your read "Three Pillars of Zen"?

It has explainations of the philosophy and history, and the personal stories of many people who went to Japanese monstaries to study, many without success, some with success (in their own words).

If there's a text book on Zen, that's probably it.

Interesting answer to the one hand clapping....

shaolinboxer
09-05-2001, 09:33 PM
Simplly presence of mind?

Nexus
09-05-2001, 09:48 PM
Lyle, it is a great thing to wonder. Only you can give yourself the answer to what Zen is. That is the teachings of Zen. Alan Watts, a great translator of Zen in quite a long speech had his first words something along the lines of 'If you walk away from this thinking you know anything about Zen then you missed the entire point'.

- Nexus

Robinf
09-05-2001, 09:57 PM
It's nice to have stories to remind us of things we all know, but sometimes our minds get to cluttered to remember.

Releasing yourself of guilt from an impossible promise is a good one to remember. We all make goals--promises to ourselves--that are sometimes impossible to keep (or simply improbable, I guess nothing is really "impossible"). And the fact that he holds no ownership to having made a mistake in making such and impossible promise to me is living for the moment and moving on. We can't change the past. However, the trouble with this comes that we can repeat it if we don't learn from it. Will the man make the same mistake if his new bride dies?

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Scott R. Brown
09-05-2001, 10:44 PM
Lyle,

Try “The Sutra of Hui-Neng” He was the sixth patriarch of Chan in direct line from Bodhidharma. It is the only Chinese text on Zen that is considered a Sutra. You can find it at Amazon, Barnes and Knoble. I can send you an online copy for free if you want to e-mail me.

Zen is not simply “presence of mind” although it is a kind of presence of mind. Zen’s purpose is to see directly into the essence of your own mind, to understand the true reality for yourself. The purpose of a Master or instructor is merely to point you in the correct direction; each person does the work individually.

Sincerely,

Scott

Scott R. Brown
09-05-2001, 10:50 PM
P. S. ,
This is the sound of one hand clapping:

Scott

Fish of Fury
09-06-2001, 03:35 AM
fish

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

Stumblefist
09-06-2001, 04:46 PM
Lyle: I am just reading the 3 pillars right now. Did you try it at all?
Did you have any kind of transcendental or awakening exoeriences?
Are you aware of the controversy surrounding Yasutani recently.? If not, I'll give you a URL.
Certainly at the very least i think we can say any kind of zen or enlightenment experience gives a kungfu practicioner "improved performance".
Actually it can be no doubt the highest level (3rd level) of kungfu practice is taoism, buddhism, the use of the Overself etc.

My Mantis Sifu's opinion was that the second level was "feeling the blood in the finger", to which i believe he meant Yoga. It seems a reasonable classification.

Anyway "eat when hungry, sleep when tired".
Can't get much better than that.

"Without water there would be no fish"

shaolinboxer
09-06-2001, 05:07 PM
I can say that I have acheived states of total relaxed concentration, where my mind does not wander or dwell on anything and I am am aware (after the fact) that I was present in the moment completely.

Usually, I find myself in this state when practicing anything I have drilled thousands of times (such as a form or hitting the heavy bag/speed bag).

More recently I have acheived this state while practicing breathing meditation in the forest.

I began to take in the sounds of the woods, and realized that the sounds had a rhythm (the rise and fall of the insects were in harmony), so I matched my breathing to that rhythm. I found myself participating in the breathing of the earth for the first time. I snapped out of it after about 15min, when i thought about my condition, thereby leaving the actualy condition behind. Are these not experiences of Zen? If not, why not?

Nexus
09-06-2001, 07:29 PM
Hah! When you realize that you are "being" you are no longer being. That is the paradox :)

It's like the new meditation student, with each time he reaches new levels of concentration as he is approaching a deeper meditation he says to himself or recognizes it as that and suddenly loses it!

One must let go of completely, and transcend. A Zen master still has an ego, he is human, but he has transcended.

When you no longer have any questions about Zen you are finally finding inner peace and being completely and in that experiencing Zen.

- Nexus

Nexus
09-06-2001, 07:40 PM
During the civil wars in feudal Japan, an invading army would quickly sweep into a town and take control. In one particular village, everyone fled just before the army arrived - everyone except the Zen master.

Curious about this old fellow, the general went to the temple to see for himself what kind of man this master was. When he wasn't treated with the deference and submissiveness to which he was accustomed, the general burst into anger. "You fool," he shouted as he reached for his sword, "don't you realize you are standing before a man who could run you through without blinking an eye!" But despite the threat, the master seemed unmoved. "And do you realize," the master replied calmly, "that you are standing before a man who can be run through without blinking an eye?"

- Nexus

Scarletmantis
09-06-2001, 08:11 PM
We should keep belting these out for as long as we can! I've been practicing at Zen Mountain Center (of Mazumi Roshi's lineage) for a few years now, and am completly enthralled with these stories. Here's one of my favorites:

A young Samurai was passing through a village one fine spring morning, when he spied a Zen Monk sitting Zazen under a flowering plum tree. Being something of an athiest, he decided to try and confound the meditating master. "Monk!" belowed the fierce young warrior, "If heaven and hell truly exist, then show them to me!". The monk raised his eyes to meet the gaze of the young Samurai, and laughed uproariously. "Hah! You're no Samurai! You should lay down you weapons and shovel manure with the peasants! You'd do your Chieftain a favor!"

The Samurai's sword flashed from it's sheath as he prepared to kill the Zen master. "This is the gateway to hell." the monk intoned. A look of understanding lit the Samurai's face and he returned his sword to it's sheath. "This is the gateway to heaven." chuckled the master, and bowed deeply to the Samurai.

"The essence of life is struggle and it's goal is domination. There are higher goals and deeper meanings, but they exist only within the mind of man. The reality of life is war."

- The Way and the Power

shaolinboxer
09-06-2001, 11:55 PM
Again, I don't see how that is Zen. Wisdom, yes, but zen, no.

Scarletmantis
09-07-2001, 12:16 AM
A monk told Joshu: "I have traveled a long way to your monastery. Will you not teach me the true Buddha Dharma?" Joshu envited him into the temple, and asked him: "Have you eaten your breakfast today?" The monk replied: "I have eaten Sensei." Joshu said: "Then you had better wash your bowl." At this, the monk was enlightened.

Zen is an everyday sort of thing. Dogen Zenji called it "The 'Nothing Special' Dharma". When we understand that heaven, hell, life and death are continually occurring, right here, right now, then everyday becomes practice. This is the point of both of my stories. Now go wash your bowl!

"The essence of life is struggle and it's goal is domination. There are higher goals and deeper meanings, but they exist only within the mind of man. The reality of life is war."

- The Way and the Power

Stumblefist
09-07-2001, 06:03 PM
Here are enough zen stories to keep you enlightened for a while :)

http://www.rider.edu/users/suler/zenstory/zenframe.html

"Without water there would be no fish"

Scarletmantis
09-07-2001, 09:58 PM
I suppose this thread has been relagated to the purgatory that the "Martial Media" Forum has become. What in the hell does Zen have to do with the media? I am severly disapointed in the moderation's incompetence. It really knows no bounds. First they let trolls stomp all over our threads, then they delete our threads, or send them someplace else. WHAT HAVE YOU GUYS GOT AGAINST OUR THREADS? :mad:

- The Way and the Power

shaolinboxer
09-09-2001, 04:30 PM
Why is this in MA media?

honorisc
10-04-2001, 05:03 PM
Zen stuff is a MEDI(A)um for martial arts.

Then there's the ever-lovin', Oops!

Then there's the we don't have a category for that, put it here, managerial keep things flowing think.~

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

honorisc
10-04-2001, 10:51 PM
Lyle knows how to Party.

It doesn't seem as though anyone cared to regard the ghost as being a.?.ghost.

Under the premis of The ghost being a ghost, she was being spiteful and Proud (arrogant). He challenged her (Vanity of mind Rules~). In dark Humor, it only takes one definite thingie to defeat the Arrogant (especially the confidence problemed arrogant). She was also an honorable ghost, as she was a honorable person. She knew it was unreasonable--Vanity born selfishness~. Perhaps this resembles children whe talk about others and displays great satisfaction in lording their knowledge over others or take great pride in their ability to make others defensive. Embarass them or blatently/openly point-out that they don't know so much, then they lose~ and go away (ghosts might not have the energy~ of children to keep comming back~).

The zen part was that there was no answer that could be told, Budokan. Because you don't know beans~(believe it or not, that was friendly) :-)

The other one was zen, in that the person who asked the question answered (or had the answer to) his own question. Also, in the taking a second look (or deeper look in what has doing), or actions common-place or second nature or that he knows.

The old fellow, one seemed to deal with an intimidator stereo-typing this before him as merely an old man who should be scared and begging for his life. The concept that the old man had no problems with being killed (dislike putting it this way as per the first page of this thread) it took away from the drive of Reason the General should be feared. If not anything else, it is a well designed story.

Lyle, Zen is supposed to point out things that you already know but don't look at it that way~.

Zen Is Wisdom. But realized not told. The answer comes from within, not without...some help from thought provoking phrasing. A paradox is a good think tuner, in that it requires constant thinking. Getting the answer doesn't matter? To get the answer was not why the question was stated. It is in asking the question that a cynergy of realization (not necessarily an answer) occures~. Perhaps some-such.

bieleicht~

dunbarj01
10-07-2001, 12:12 AM
Hey Nexus,

Was that story from "Zen Flesh, Zen Bones"?

"That would be me. I've been swimming in raw sewage...I love IT!" - Frank Drebbin, Police Squad.

shaolinboxer
10-08-2001, 06:07 PM
"zen is wisdom, realized but not told"

Hmmmmm.....But realization of this sort, such as death bad/life good, requires thought. Is zen then a method of thinking about something? Or is it the source of this thought that is the foundation zen? So, deos the samurai experince zen when he thinks "oh i shouldn't kill this guy", or does he experience zen when his understadning shifts, before the thought arises?

And I do indeed know how to party.

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
- Cat

origenx
10-08-2001, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I notice you naturally seem to enter a relaxed mind and meditative state before bedtime or when shooting baskets. Also, a meditative qigong state seems much easier after some cardiovascular activity. Apparently, your muscles seem to relax much easier when they are tired! Imagine that!

honorisc
10-13-2001, 10:37 PM
"Hmmmmm.....But realization of this sort, such as death bad/life good, requires thought."

Realization only requires realization.

"Is zen then a method of thinking about something? Or is it the source of this thought that is the foundation zen? So, deos the samurai experince zen when he thinks "oh i shouldn't kill this guy", or does he experience zen when his understadning shifts, before the thought arises?"

Realization does not happen before itself nor after itself. It happens in the Moment in which it occures. ~

shaolinboxer
10-14-2001, 04:47 PM
And is it in that moment of realization that the samurai experiences "zen"?

How long does it last?

Can you take zen with you?

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
- Cat

honorisc
10-14-2001, 10:55 PM
"And is it in that moment of realization that the samurai experiences "zen"?"

Experiences zen...experiencies an aspect of zen called satori...you'd really like to know what zen is, it seems.

"How long does it last?" As long as it does.

"Can you take zen with you?" No-ish, yet it can be there where you are, in each place~.

Try this concept: Zen is a name/lable given to a way to understand things (perceptions of Life and Its contents~). Getting a point across or understanding someone's point relayed by a story of common knowledge. There's a bit of Irony usually. It's the Irony where the understanding is. Other times there might be paradoxes--places where in some respect a thing is correct and yet that same thing is not correct.

You were handling a company's account ad lost the acount. You dropped the ball, might be zen-ish.

So(needle and thread), zen is a name given to a way of understanding things~. This is done by stories of common knowledge. And might contain Irony (having the answer of what Heaven and Hell are like, yet not noticing or realizing haveing the answer~), paradox (?~), sarcasm (you know they couldn't know the answer to spontaneous randomization--how many beans do I have in my hand)or associations (such as dropped the ball with an association between the ball (football, American) and the account)