PDA

View Full Version : Broadsword suggestions...

naja
07-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Guys, what's a good and relatively inexpensive place to get broadswords from online? Also, what grade do you guys suggest for Tai Chi? The "wushu spring steel" seems to be a popular grade for tai chi, but I'm a little skeptical of it.....

Thanks in advance,
Naja

Royal Dragon
07-01-2008, 04:47 PM
www.martialartsmart.com

There is NO better source for weapons anywhere.

naja
07-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Are their broadswords good quality? I don't need something that's gonna whack down trees, but I don't want a butter knife either....

:edit: Here's the better looking of the two "wushu" ones...
http://www.martialartsmart.net/45-66wu26.html

comments?

David Jamieson
07-02-2008, 03:22 AM
It's not a tai chi broadsword, but honestly, it'll do.

Judge Pen
07-02-2008, 03:27 AM
Typically there are three grades: wushu, spring and combat. The names are a bit misleading as combat isn't sharp, but it is the heaviest of the three. Spring steel is the middle weight, and I prefer that to wushu.

Typically wushu will flop around and is very thin at the tip. When you thrust the sword with force, the blade will bend from the sudden change in inertia.

I think the spring steel has the best feel to it as, imo, its closer to the weight and balance of a functional broadsword.

The combat steel is good for training, because its weight.

masherdong
07-02-2008, 05:44 AM
Here are some places that I have bought from in the past:

www.buykungfu.com

www.kungfudirect.com

www.kungfu4less.com

Old Noob
07-02-2008, 06:25 AM
Typically there are three grades: wushu, spring and combat. The names are a bit misleading as combat isn't sharp, but it is the heaviest of the three. Spring steel is the middle weight, and I prefer that to wushu.

Typically wushu will flop around and is very thin at the tip. When you thrust the sword with force, the blade will bend from the sudden change in inertia.

I think the spring steel has the best feel to it as, imo, its closer to the weight and balance of a functional broadsword.

The combat steel is good for training, because its weight.

That's a question I've been meaning to ask. I realize that combat steel doesn't come sharp but is it able to be sharpened? If not, where do you shop for live blades?

Judge Pen
07-02-2008, 07:07 AM
That's a question I've been meaning to ask. I realize that combat steel doesn't come sharp but is it able to be sharpened? If not, where do you shop for live blades?

I suppose you could grind it down, but the blades you buy at most martial arts stores do not contain any metallurgical information to let you know the carbon content, so you're shooting in the dark a bit there.

Paul Chen makes a dao with a live blade. The blade is excellent, but the guard and handle are of poor quality imo.

Cold Steel used to make a sharp dao. I have not tried it to know what it feels like. They make good blades (I have a pu dao that they made) but their jian's were a bit to heavy and the balance was off. I don't know if the dao would be better.

KC has a very nice broadsword with a live blade, but I don't remember where he told me he got it.

I wouldn't recommend learning a new set with a live blade though. Accidents can happen.

Old Noob
07-02-2008, 08:21 AM
I suppose you could grind it down, but the blades you buy at most martial arts stores do not contain any metallurgical information to let you know the carbon content, so you're shooting in the dark a bit there.

Paul Chen makes a dao with a live blade. The blade is excellent, but the guard and handle are of poor quality imo.

Cold Steel used to make a sharp dao. I have not tried it to know what it feels like. They make good blades (I have a pu dao that they made) but their jian's were a bit to heavy and the balance was off. I don't know if the dao would be better.

KC has a very nice broadsword with a live blade, but I don't remember where he told me he got it.

I wouldn't recommend learning a new set with a live blade though. Accidents can happen.

Definitely. That's why I was hoping to find a blade that was unsharpened but able to be sharpened later when skills improve. I'm too cheap to want to purchase multiples.

naja
07-02-2008, 09:29 AM
ok, next question...... How do you determine what size to get???

David Jamieson
07-02-2008, 11:45 AM
ok, next question...... How do you determine what size to get???

with the grip in your hand and the sword straight up as you stand at attention, from pommel to tip should be from wrist to top of ear.

ngokfei
07-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Have heard it this way

"Pomel cupped in your palm, Tip of the blade to touch your Ear Lobe".

For general Training you can get a simple chrome steel blade for like $25

I've gone through many a saber/Broadsword in my time, now I only train with the Antique Qing Dynasty Blade I picked up in HK (nothing fancy like you see in the magazines - no fancy name or precious metals - the blade had a nick and alot of corrosion and didn't come with a case.

It only cost me $100 US back in 98, now expect to pay alot more as the market has gone through the roof. And remember there are alot of copies that achieve the same characteristics of antique blades but they are New and won't need maintenance.

GLW
07-03-2008, 07:59 AM
Gad that would be a short Dao.

I know many southern styles use this length but I find it too short..and would never fly with my Cha Quan teachers anyway.

The length rule for the IWuF, which was, incidentally, taken from the length that was used by most of the northern styles like Cha Quan - is to place the handle between the fingers where you are cupping the hand guard (not the pommel at the bottom of the Dao). Then the blade must be no lower than your earlobe and not above the top of the ear - with the desired length being between the middle and top of the ear.

If you compete in China (none of this Modern vs. Traditional BS....just if you compete ANYWHERE in China) this is the length they use.

Given the axiom from northern styles -"One inch longer, one inch stronger" The longer the blade that you can use and control, the longer your reach to actually use it.

Judge Pen
07-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Given the axiom from northern styles -"One inch longer, one inch stronger"

You've been talking to the women I used to date, haven't you?

SimonM
07-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Yup, they call you ol' one-incher.

:p

mkriii
07-10-2008, 07:50 AM
Guys, what's a good and relatively inexpensive place to get broadswords from online? Also, what grade do you guys suggest for Tai Chi? The "wushu spring steel" seems to be a popular grade for tai chi, but I'm a little skeptical of it.....

Thanks in advance,
Naja

I see your in Tenneessee......l don't know how far you are from Gatlinburg, TN but there is a place there that has every kind of martial art weapon you could possibly imagine. They are pretty reasonable in price. There is actually two places there. One is on the main strip going through town the other is a 3 story building but not sure where it is located. I'm sure someone there could tell you. It's advertices over like 5000 sq. ft. of store. It's huge.

GLW
07-10-2008, 08:16 AM
You need to consider that if you are doing Taijiquan, the style of Taijiquan may determine what broadsword you get.

The standard broadsword (Dao) that most use is fine for most styles but is not the one used for Yang style. That weapon, while a Dao, has an S shaped guard, a blade that is about the same width as a Jian, and looks more like a modified cavalry saber.

naja
07-10-2008, 02:34 PM
I see your in Tenneessee......l don't know how far you are from Gatlinburg, TN but there is a place there that has every kind of martial art weapon you could possibly imagine. They are pretty reasonable in price. There is actually two places there. One is on the main strip going through town the other is a 3 story building but not sure where it is located. I'm sure someone there could tell you. It's advertices over like 5000 sq. ft. of store. It's huge.

The second store I believe you're talking about is Smokey Mountain Knife Works. It would fit the square footage you're talking about and it's 3 stories. And I stopped by there this past weekend on my way to Knoxville. They didn't have jack in the way of Chinese weapons. They had a few Japanese swords, but I didn't see one Chinese one. I think I know the other place you're referring to, which is actually in Gatlinburg. I only venture into that town when I am forced to. Way too crowded for my tastes.

I ended up getting this one (http://martialartsmart.net/45-66wu26.html) and while it isn't great, it looks as though it's going to get the job done.