PDA

View Full Version : For Sal Canzonieri Re:Tan Tui

mickey
07-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Greetings,

I was lurking over at the emptyflower last night and found your thread concerning Tan Tui. Of particular notice was your statement that the masters at the Chin Woo developed the 12 line Tan Tui that was taught there.

- What documentation do you have for that?

- Which masters?

- Who contributed what?

You name dropped Wang Ziping. I have seen his Tan Tui form in the book "Wushu Among Chinese Moslems." It does not even come close; not even in the framework does it come close.

Do please enlighten me.

mickey

Sal Canzonieri
07-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Greetings,

I was lurking over at the emptyflower last night and found your thread concerning Tan Tui. Of particular notice was your statement that the masters at the Chin Woo developed the 12 line Tan Tui that was taught there.

- What documentation do you have for that?

- Which masters?

- Who contributed what?

You name dropped Wang Ziping. I have seen his Tan Tui form in the book "Wushu Among Chinese Moslems." It does not even come close; not even in the framework does it come close.

Do please enlighten me.

mickey

Wang Zi Ping was famous for his 10 Tan Tui set (not the 12) and he did two different versions, which he called Tan Tui and Tam Tui (used different characters). That book has an abbreviated version of one of his sets. I have a big book on his life and it compiles many of his sets and shows each movement of that sets. Of course the 10 tan tui is different looking than the 12, it is an entirely different style based on Cha Quan. You can't go by the drawings to compare. But, the 12 tan tui (at least the version that is most popularly known today) is derived from the 10 tan tui via the Chin Woo school

Hua Yun Jia the founder of Chin Woo, he practiced the 10 tan tui. After he died, the Chin Woo school started teaching a single and two person 12 tan tui set, that looks mixed with other things besides 10 tan tui.

Most people are in agreement that the 12 tan tui started with the 10 tan tui as a frame to work with. And the Chin Woo school histories say this. The first row in both are the same, the rest start to change how they are done, but the are the same essentially for the first 5 rows. 10 version does them with Cha Quan flavor in the movements and 12 does it with mixed long fist flavor.

All the Chin Woo (Jing Wu) history books and set books I have, I have the whole set of anniversary books of their sets, say that they developed the 12 tan tui set there.
It's always been said that the 12 and the two man version of the 12 are part of the main dozen sets that are Jing Wu created sets.
From what I can see the books say only that various teachers had input to the creation of the sets. The list of teachers that taught there are from eagle claw, shaolin long fist, Cha Quan, Mi Song, and others.

I think that there was some threads here years back that discussed which teacher influenced which sets there.

Here's the Chin Woo site that gives their official history:
http://www.chinwoo.com/history.htm

Because Huo was widely admired as a Chinese national hero, a series of other masters agreed to teach at the school including Eagle Claw (鷹爪派) master Chen Zizheng (陳子正), Seven Star Praying Mantis (七星螳螂拳) master Luo Guangyu (羅光玉), Xingyi (形意拳) master Zhao Lianhe (趙連和), and Wu Jianquan (吳鑑泉), the founder of Wu style Taijiquan (吳式太極拳). Master Chao Lianhe, a master of Northern Shaolin Mizong Style became the Chief Instructor after the sudden death of Huo.
The basic curriculum drew from several styles of martial arts, giving practitioners a well-rounded martial background in addition to whatever they wished to specialize in.

During the early days of Ching Wu (Jing Mo) in Shanghai, chief instructor, Chao Lianhe developed a curriculum that became the standard Chin Woo sets (Fundamental Routines).

1. Twelve Rows of Tan Tui (Spring Leg)
2. Gong Li Quan (Power Fist)
3. Jie Quan (Connecting Fist)
4. Da Zhan Quan (Big Battle Fist - Upper & Lower)
5. Ba Gua Dao (Eight Diagram Broadsword)
6. Qun Yang Gun (Shepherd Staff)
7. Wu Hu Qiang (Five Tiger Spear)
8. Jie Tan Tui (Tan Tui Sparring)
9. Tao Quan (Set Fist)
10. Dan Dao Chuan Qian (Broadsword versus Spear)

Here's the various types of tan tui (there are more than these, that are unrelated to each other and appear entirely different, such as 6 Harmony tan Tui, 14 tan tui preying mantis, 12 tong bei tan tui, etc.)

1. Tang Dynasty. The city of Ling Qing is situated between the warring factions of the Song, Liao and Jin Courts. An infantry solider named Kun Lung Dai Shi took refuge in the Lung Tan Temple located within Ling Qing City. Becoming a Monk at this temple Kun Lung formulated the routine Tan Tui (Pond Legs) with 10 Roads. It is said that this set was created in order to counter the Liao & Jin's superior upper body grappling skills. Ling Qing City became a major trading center due to the Canals built during the Yuan Dynasty. For this reason it is believed that Tan Tui was able to spread throughout China.

2. Shaolin's Tan Tui is given credit to Monk Xian Ji who while in residence at the temple in Ling Qing Tan Temple in Shandong Province during the Ming Dynasty. It is said that he traded Shaolin's famous Lohan Fist routine for their Tan Tui routine. Also Xian Ji is said to have also added an additional 2 roads to the original 10 Road Tan Tui Routine.

3. Chinese Muslims,are known for the fierce combat skills. They helped in the founding of the Ming Dynasty During the 13th Century. It is said that during Qi Ji Guang's journey to suppress Japanese Pirates along China's Coastal Cities. On this journey a Muslem by the name of ChaShagMir (aka: Chamir) fell ill due to the exhaustion and the harsh weather. His companions left him in the care of the inhabitants of a mountain village in Guan Xian County. So grateful for their care he taught his martial arts skills to the local villagers. In memory of him the called the system they practiced Cha Quan (Cha's Fist). Tan Tui (with 28 roads) was the foundation they used to develop their system. It is said that 28 was used to signify the 28 Letters in the Arabic Language. Later this was condensed into 10 Roads. The Hui/Moslem are still today known as the best exponents of Tan Tui.

4. Chin Woo was the first Public Gymnasium founded for the purpose of making Martial Arts training available to anyone (who could pay). The recognized founder was Huo Yun Jia, an exponent of the Mizong System. Part of this system was a version of the 10 Road Tan Tui that Huo Yun Jia demonstrated often. Due to his sudden death not many of his students had the opportunity to learn this version. Chao Lien Ho was hired to head up the organization and as part of his task he formulated a specific curriculum. While an exponent of Mizong he also had studied various Shaolin based systems as well. The first form required to be studied by beginner students is a 12 Road Tan Tui. While it is not sure where this version comes from, it has become the most popular version taught throughout the Chinese Martial Arts due to the fame of the Chin Woo.

Here's a Chinese website that has info on the set:
http://zhidao.baidu.com/question/34466342.html

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50169

GeneChing
07-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Check out our 2006 September/October issue - the Chin Woo - Huo Yuan Jia Collector's Issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=671). We had Master Jimmy Wong, head of the U.S.A. Chin Woo branch, demonstrate the 12 tan tui in its entirety.

mickey
07-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Hi Sal,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I am more in agreement with ngokfei that the Chin Woo set may have been simplified, not developed.

mickey

P.S. Hi Gene!!!

Sal Canzonieri
07-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Hi Sal,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I am more in agreement with ngokfei that the Chin Woo set may have been simplified, not developed.

mickey

P.S. Hi Gene!!!

Sure, that's possible, but simplified from what? The original 28 Tan Tui?

It does look like a simplified version of the 10 tan tui, I agree.

But they changed the last five rows and added two more rows, and they added a two man version.
Where did they get this material from?

Logic says from the teachers there that helped develop the final version of the 12 tan tui.

Just about every tan tui system from other styles all share the first row, after that they all diverge.

Cha Quan's Pao Quan sets in their first section have the same movements as first row of tan tui.

The tan tui itself, 10 or 12, if it comes from Moslem MA is a simplification anyways.
It groups together and makes more basic various sections from their other forms.

Sal Canzonieri
07-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Here's the classic 10 Tan tui (Kuoshou school):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt83nvRwq-4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJup-h-p_ck

Here's the real Shaolin tan tui, same as it is done in the Shaolin Encyclopedia (Says 24 but it is only 12 different rows doubled):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zplTTFjh9KY

Here's the Chin Woo 12 tan tui:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Iz0ZP8nlSI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGJoj1RRYd4

Does the Chin Woo 12 look much more related to this 10 tan tui or to the Shaolin Tan tui?

This set is called Shaolin 12 Tan tui, in honor of Shaolin, but it is clearly the Chin Woo set, and they will tell you that it is from there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-WdX8VebqU

This is a Mizong Tan tui set:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq3SLaAwUBA

Another version of Cha Quan 10 Tan Tui, different branch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbXyJOE2Dhc

Here's the Yue Shi Ba Fan Shou, first section of 8 rows, for comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N63rIaKKXX8

ngokfei
07-02-2008, 08:41 PM
10 Road Mizong Tan Tui evolved into the 12 Road Chin Woo Version.

did Zhao do it alone? hard to say Were there other instructors in residence when he took over?

When was the 10 Core form curriculum put in place? Before or after other instructors arrived to teach specialized classes?

One item of not is of the 10 sets of chin Woo the Toa Kuen (Paired Fist) partner set has been told to me to be created at Chin Woo as their Kahm Na set. A probable major contributor would have been CZC of the Eagle Claw School but I believe there were 2 other instructors as well who had in;put.

mickey
07-03-2008, 05:33 AM
Greetings,

When you write "most people are in agreement" and "it is generally said," it does not mean that it is TRUE. It is just a general belief. Yet, you post in point four that that though the Chin Woo version is the most popular, no one knows where it came from. That is totally different from saying that the masters at Chin Woo developed the form. Your fourth point may be the most accurate.

Sal, you mention that Kun Lun was an infantry man. Where did he come from?

Over the years I have noticed a real effort to establish the 10 line version as the original version (ngokfei, I can't believe you go with that - 20 pushups for you!!!). Over time this will be disproven. I will let that rest for now. :)

Sal, I have done more than look at drawings, I have practiced. There was a period time when Tan Tui was all I had to practice. I find it strange for you to make that statement when you do that. :)

I thank you all for the healthy discussion that did not deteriorate into the silly rants of ego.

mickey

GLW
07-03-2008, 08:08 AM
None of those Tan Tui versions are the ones that Wang Ziping taught. I had a link for it but the page is now gone.

There is a book on Wushu and Moslems that has not only the 10 line Tan Tui as done by Wang Ziping and his family...but also the 20 Fist method Wang Ziping created.

r.(shaolin)
07-03-2008, 10:35 AM
All the Chin Woo (Jing Wu) history books and set books I have, I have the whole set of anniversary books of their sets, say that they developed the 12 tan tui set there.

Our tradition says that a Shaolin student named Ji Xiang Tan (济相潭) brought
Tan Tui to Shaolin during the Ming Dynasty and that 2 sections were added to the Shaolin version and the set was named Xiang Ji Tan Tui 相济潭腿. The 12 section Tan Tui practiced at Jing Wu is very similar to our version and I can say with certainty that it predates Jing Wu. The legend that has been past on to us has similarities to the account in the article Sal posted:
http://zhidao.baidu.com/question/34466342.html

2.少林潭腿
明朝正德年间,河南嵩山少林寺僧人相济禅师,亲自到山东临清龙潭寺巡访,与昆仑大师后辈传人跃空大师相见, 两僧将少林的罗汉拳与临清潭腿互换学练以留做纪念。随后少林寺后人又将潭腿的拳架加以改动并添增两路,故称 少林潭腿。其拳谱如下:
潭腿本是宋朝传,出在临清龙潭寺,临清潭腿共十路,十一、十二少林添,头路出马一条鞭,二路十字鬼扯钻,三 路劈砸车轮势,四路斜踢撑抹拦,五路狮子双戏水,六路勾劈扭单鞭,七路凤凰双展翅,八路转金凳朝天,九路擒 龙夺玉带,十路喜鹊登梅尖,十一路风摆荷叶腿,十二路鸳鸯巧连环。

2. Shaolin's Tan Tui is given credit to Monk Xian Ji who while in residence at the temple in Ling Qing Tan Temple in Shandong Province during the Ming Dynasty. It is said that he traded Shaolin's famous Lohan Fist routine for their Tan Tui routine. Also Xian Ji is said to have also added an additional 2 roads to the original 10 Road Tan Tui Routine.

ngokfei
07-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Mickey - I'm doing them now, My big body is allowing me to cheat on how low :D

Most Chin Woo material I've come across gives credit to a temple in Shandong province as the origin of the set, but again it says it originally came from a 10 road set which was added to by a monk.

Zhao Lin Ho was an exponent of the Shaolin Bizong Style (which contained the 5 Zhan/gin = battle sets as well as a Tan Tui and if my memory serves me correctly some sets from the Gong Li style. He was also an exponent of the Mizong System.

Quite possible that he took the Shaolin version tan tui and combined it with elements of the Mizong version of tan tui.

r.(shaolin) is there a visual available of the version that you do - for comparison?

Sal Canzonieri
07-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Greetings,

When you write "most people are in agreement" and "it is generally said," it does not mean that it is TRUE. It is just a general belief. Yet, you post in point four that that though the Chin Woo version is the most popular, no one knows where it came from. That is totally different from saying that the masters at Chin Woo developed the form. Your fourth point may be the most accurate.

Sal, you mention that Kun Lun was an infantry man. Where did he come from?

Over the years I have noticed a real effort to establish the 10 line version as the original version (ngokfei, I can't believe you go with that - 20 pushups for you!!!). Over time this will be disproven. I will let that rest for now. :)

Sal, I have done more than look at drawings, I have practiced. There was a period time when Tan Tui was all I had to practice. I find it strange for you to make that statement when you do that. :)

I thank you all for the healthy discussion that did not deteriorate into the silly rants of ego.

mickey

Hey, I want to know the answers just as much as anyone else.

I have no vested interest in which one came first. I don't even like the CHin Woo sets at all.

Regardless of which come first, I'd like to learn which did really come first?

If it is the Temple in Shantong, which then went to Shaolin, who added two rows, which then was went to where?

To Chin Woo? But they say they started from Mi Zong 10 tan tui and
added 2 more rows after simplifying it.
So, that would either mean that Chin Woo 12 tan tui is not related to the Shaolin one, or that Mi Zong 10 tan tui is related to Shaolin tan tui, or even to the Long Tan temple in Shantong's original tan tui?

Most interesting is HOW MUCH Mi Zong has in common with Cha Quan system, very very strange.

The hooked hand and the Cha Hand (insert hand) the Cha Quan system is famous for and even a 10 tan tui, the Mi Song style had also.
Could Mi Song be a major influence on the early development of Cha Quan system?

(Cha Quan system always says that their 10 tan tui is just a simplication modern developed practice set that has pieces of their other sets to create a foundational set to work from in the beginning. If so, then how is their 10 tan tui related to any others at all?
Only way is if some pieces of Cha Quan sets came from Mi Zong influence?)

r.(shaolin)
07-03-2008, 02:23 PM
One other point.

Jing Wu uses the character: 彈 for 'tan'

The version that Zhitianxi does uses: 彈 for 'tan' (which is a traditional set but I would not say its 'the real' Shaolin Tan Tui)

The Cha version uses the character: 潭 for 'tan'

We use the same character as the Cha style does: 潭
As does the author in this post: http://zhidao.baidu.com/question/34466342.html

r.

r.(shaolin)
07-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Most people are in agreement that the 12 tan tui started with the 10 tan tui as a frame to work with. And the Chin Woo school histories say this. The first row in both are the same, the rest start to change how they are done, but the are the same essentially for the first 5 rows.

From what I can see the books say only that various teachers had input to the creation of the sets.

According to my teacher, not a Jingwu member but who lived in Shanghai in the early 20's, and my Sigong who was already in Shanghai, during the time Huo Yuanjia was still alive, they developed a 16 section set - which looks sort of like Tan Tui and included 4 sections from Tan Tui. It wasn't called Tan Tui but rather "Jingwu Ji Ben 精武基本". I've check around a bit for more information, but there is very little documentation about Jing Wu's very early history before 1910.
r.

Sal Canzonieri
07-03-2008, 06:25 PM
According to my teacher, not a Jingwu member but who lived in Shanghai in the early 20's, and my Sigong who was already in Shanghai, during the time Huo Yuanjia was still alive, they developed a 16 section set - which looks sort of like Tan Tui and included 4 sections from Tan Tui. It wasn't called Tan Tui but rather "Jingwu Ji Ben 精武基本". I've check around a bit for more information, but there is very little documentation about Jing Wu's very early history before 1910.
r.

Liu Yun Chiao's Wu Tang School in Taiwan teaches a 16 Row Tan Tui like set, I learned it from the Wu Tang school in NJ that was around before Master Charles Chen died.

mickey
07-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Hi Sal,

I was going to bring up the late Master Charles Chen. I visited him in Flushing Queens where he was teaching at the "Y" on Northern Blvd, back in 1984. I got to see a 12 section Shaolin Tan Tui that he taught. He referred to it as the original style. It contained a lot of double heel kicks and a nice blend of straight and circular techniques. I got the feeling that he kept the Shaolin he learned closest to his heart. Then again, that was only one impression from one meeting.

mickey

ngokfei
07-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Sal

Thats an interesting thought, where did Mizong obtain their Tan tui.

r.shaolin

your mentioning the 16 road set now makes sense to what I had been told while at the HK Chin Woo back in the early 90's My translator simply stated that there was a training drills with16 lines but that it was replaced with the 12 Road Tan Tui.

Any clip or visual source for this routine Sal or r.shaolin?

Sal Canzonieri
07-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Sal

Thats an interesting thought, where did Mizong obtain their Tan tui.

r.shaolin

your mentioning the 16 road set now makes sense to what I had been told while at the HK Chin Woo back in the early 90's My translator simply stated that there was a training drills with16 lines but that it was replaced with the 12 Road Tan Tui.

Hmm, MiZong was said to exist around the time of Song dynasty start, either right before or right after, by its own legends.
People stating hearing about it sometime during the later Song era, and then much more in the Ming times.
It traveled from Henan Shaolin area to Shandong province by the time that Muslim martial arts were transfered to that area as well.

Muslim Martial Arts come from something they called JiaZi Quan (frame boxing), which they date back to the Tang dynasty, since Chinese Muslims were heaving always in the Chinese military.

Misong has a Jiazi set.

Misong has elements of Tai Zu Chang Quan, Lao Hong Quan, and other unknown martial arts. One of them is based on Ape Monkey Boxing.

Yan Qing Quan is a branch of Misong, just another name for the same thing, but it branched off really early, so it is a different linage only.

Yan Qing Quan has a Tai Zu Quan set that they do.
Mi Song and Yan Qing share the cha shou and hooked hand movements (hooked hand movements also found in Yue Jia Quan of Yue Fei as well, which is from late Southern Song era)

Shantong Cha Quan system says that they created the Tan Tui sets in Ming dyansty to create an easy to learn foundational series, based on rows from their other sets in their system.

But there is this Shandong Long Tan Temple that has their own Tan Tui set.

That's the puzzle pieces!

Which came first? it might be able to be traced, if someone can see "who taught whom what, when, and where".

r.(shaolin)
07-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Sal

I suspected that was the case.

The purpose of these sets was to teach beginners basics, so the idea of them dropping this set in favor of Tan Tui makes sense to me as well. Although the first part of the 16 section set is not unlike tan tui, (sections 1, 4, 8, 10); sections 9, 12, 13, 14, 15 are advanced combos that beginners would have a hard time with. As well the length of the set make for a hard drill even for someone in shape. The way the set is done is back and forth for each section - making for a 32 section set.
Sorry no clips.
r.

Sal Canzonieri
07-04-2008, 03:52 PM
I suspected that was the case.

The purpose of these sets was to teach beginners basics, so the idea of them dropping this set in favor of Tan Tui makes sense to me as well. Although the first part of the 16 section set is not unlike tan tui, (sections 1, 4, 8, 10); sections 9, 12, 13, 14, 15 are advanced combos that beginners would have a hard time with. As well the length of the set make for a hard drill even for someone in shape. The way the set is done is back and forth for each section - making for a 32 section set.
Sorry no clips.
r.

I learned that form and it was just like that, very hard to master.
Master Chen said that most people forget it soon after testing for rank when to start to learn all the other sets (we learned Tang Lang Shou and Li Pi next).

Well, I did forget most of it, I'd like to see it again some day. It was a frustrating form, kinda boring and really difficult near the end rows as well.
Wonder where it originates from, besides just "Jin Wu" or Wu Tang school.

r.(shaolin)
07-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Hey, I want to know the answers just as much as anyone else.

I have no vested interest in which one came first. I don't even like the CHin Woo sets at all.

Regardless of which come first, I'd like to learn which did really come first?

If it is the Temple in Shantong, which then went to Shaolin, who added two rows, which then was went to where?

To Chin Woo? But they say they started from Mi Zong 10 tan tui and
added 2 more rows after simplifying it.
So, that would either mean that Chin Woo 12 tan tui is not related to the Shaolin one, or that Mi Zong 10 tan tui is related to Shaolin tan tui, or even to the Long Tan temple in Shantong's original tan tui?

Most interesting is HOW MUCH Mi Zong has in common with Cha Quan system, very very strange.

The hooked hand and the Cha Hand (insert hand) the Cha Quan system is famous for and even a 10 tan tui, the Mi Song style had also.
Could Mi Song be a major influence on the early development of Cha Quan system?

(Cha Quan system always says that their 10 tan tui is just a simplication modern developed practice set that has pieces of their other sets to create a foundational set to work from in the beginning. If so, then how is their 10 tan tui related to any others at all?
Only way is if some pieces of Cha Quan sets came from Mi Zong influence?)

During the Qing Dynasty, Sun Tong studied with a Shaolin trained teacher named Zhang.

There hase been a connection with MiZong and Shaolin for a longtime.

r.

mawali
07-07-2008, 02:48 PM
One of my teachers from Guangdong province sais that routines like tantui, changquan, tonbgei, etc transcend arts of various styles! The serves as training routines and are not speciifc for any art. It seems that each art has its own tantui that teaches speciifcs related to the 'specialized' style.

Difference provinces/groups have their own version and develop the training/application accordingly. Like islamic LongFist, islamic xingi, islamic tantui..
islamic shuaijiao....

Sal Canzonieri
07-07-2008, 02:52 PM
During the Qing Dynasty, Sun Tong studied with a Shaolin trained teacher named Zhang.

There hase been a connection with MiZong and Shaolin for a longtime.

r.

MiZong and Shaolin, yes, always has been mentioned by either side that they are connected.

But what about Cha Quan system and MiZong?

So many martial arts from Shandong seem to be very much like MiZong for many reasons.

Shaolin Master
07-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Mizong/Yanqingquan does not traditionally have Tantui, these were added later and did not resemble the Jingwu set.

Jingwu obtained Tantui from Zhao Lianhe (赵连合) who was not a Mizong/Yanqingquan practitioner. Set is as below:
头路弓步冲拳一条鞭,二路左右十字蹦脚尖,三路翻身盖打劈砸式,四路撑扎穿撩把腿
弹,五路护头架打掏心拳,六路仆步双展使连环,七路单展贯耳脚来踢,八路蒙头护裆
踹两边,九路腰间碰锁分两掌,十路空中箭弹飞天边,十一路勾挂连环机巧妙,十二路
披身伏虎反华山

Tantui exact origins have many theories from both the religious (Moslem) to the Shandong and the shaolin vogue....irrespectively the prominence in Moslem styles and the resemblance to the row concept is a general depiction.

The connecting pieces to Chaquan and Mizong/Yanqingquan are through Liuhequan, this only affected certain branches of Chaquan and Mizongquan such as the Zhang styles but not so much Li styles of Chaquan.

Wan Laisheng's or Ziranmen Liuhequan is a derivative but is not as encompassing as the parent Liuhequan.

Both Liuhequan and Chaquan are Moslem (Huizu) arts and the Tantui are part of their practices. Thus the saying "南京到北京,弹腿出在教门中" - From Nanjing to Beijing, Tantui came from the Religious (Moslem) sect

The concepts of roads along the lines of Tantui are eminent aspects of Moslem Liuhequan this includes Tantui, Xinglong and Zachui as examples.

Mizong/Yanqingquan was originally a mix of styles and therefore it contains many elements of others within, also absorbing further bits through various generations. The core though is still held.

Best Regards
Wu Chanlong

Sal Canzonieri
07-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Mizong/Yanqingquan does not traditionally have Tantui, these were added later and did not resemble the Jingwu set.

Jingwu obtained Tantui from Zhao Lianhe (赵连合) who was not a Mizong/Yanqingquan practitioner. Set is as below:
头路弓步冲拳一条鞭,二路左右十字蹦脚尖,三路翻身盖打劈砸式,四路撑扎穿撩把腿
弹,五路护头架打掏心拳,六路仆步双展使连环,七路单展贯耳脚来踢,八路蒙头护裆
踹两边,九路腰间碰锁分两掌,十路空中箭弹飞天边,十一路勾挂连环机巧妙,十二路
披身伏虎反华山

Tantui exact origins have many theories from both the religious (Moslem) to the Shandong and the shaolin vogue....irrespectively the prominence in Moslem styles and the resemblance to the row concept is a general depiction.

The connecting pieces to Chaquan and Mizong/Yanqingquan are through Liuhequan, this only affected certain branches of Chaquan and Mizongquan such as the Zhang styles but not so much Li styles of Chaquan.

Wan Laisheng's or Ziranmen Liuhequan is a derivative but is not as encompassing as the parent Liuhequan.

Both Liuhequan and Chaquan are Moslem (Huizu) arts and the Tantui are part of their practices. Thus the saying "南京到北京,弹腿出在教门中" - From Nanjing to Beijing, Tantui came from the Religious (Moslem) sect

The concepts of roads along the lines of Tantui are eminent aspects of Moslem Liuhequan this includes Tantui, Xinglong and Zachui as examples.

Mizong/Yanqingquan was originally a mix of styles and therefore it contains many elements of others within, also absorbing further bits through various generations. The core though is still held.

Best Regards
Wu Chanlong

THANKS! That clears up a lot of things I was wondering about! Cool.

Yes, Li style Cha Quan looks a lot different, all three main branches look a lot different to me, they share the same set names, but their sets have many different movments from each other.

Sal

Redfish
07-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Sorry of this is repeating anything I missed.

Mizong was Huo Yuanjia's style sure.

I live in Shanghai and have had access to the photos and records in the Jingwu society here, also to teacher Bao Wenguang of Eagle Claw who's teacher, Bao Yixiong, was a Chen Zizheng student.

According to this info, the 10 basic forms were derived from either Northern Eagle Claw or Er Lang Men.

Zhao Lian He is listed as teaching 10 basic forms and for his own style "Er Lang Men".

As for forms with the name Tan Tui, loads of styles have them. I have recently made a video that includes part of the Chaquan Tantui being taught in Shanghai here:

http://www.kungfuology.com/kungfuology/2008/06/vidcasting-zhongshan-park-kung.html

It's Zhongshan Park Pt Two , right near the beginning.

Sal Canzonieri
07-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Lest someone misunderstand this and make assumptions that aren't correct:

I've been practicing and learning CMA since 1975.

All the forms that I post about, I have actually learned and I only post about material that I have done at least for 10 years of time.

So, it's not that I am 'Comparing videos", I am comparing what I do in one form to what i do in another form.

I may show it to you via a video, but it's not videos I am comparing, it's real movements and postures in actual sets that I have hands on experience with for at least a decade.

Sal Canzonieri
07-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Sorry of this is repeating anything I missed.

Mizong was Huo Yuanjia's style sure.

I live in Shanghai and have had access to the photos and records in the Jingwu society here, also to teacher Bao Wenguang of Eagle Claw who's teacher, Bao Yixiong, was a Chen Zizheng student.

According to this info, the 10 basic forms were derived from either Northern Eagle Claw or Er Lang Men.

Zhao Lian He is listed as teaching 10 basic forms and for his own style "Er Lang Men".

As for forms with the name Tan Tui, loads of styles have them. I have recently made a video that includes part of the Chaquan Tantui being taught in Shanghai here:

http://www.kungfuology.com/kungfuology/2008/06/vidcasting-zhongshan-park-kung.html

It's Zhongshan Park Pt Two , right near the beginning.

Er Lang Men is a type of Fanzi Quan, which is basically what Yue Shi Ba Fan Shou is too.

Hence maybe where there is some commonality seen, everything is drawing from the same roots?

Shaolin Master
07-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Er Lang Men is a type of Fanzi Quan, which is basically what Yue Shi Ba Fan Shou is too.

Hence maybe where there is some commonality seen, everything is drawing from the same roots?

Sal,

Erlang Men is actually very different from Ba Fan Shou....and is a large system on its own etc. I presume you have not seen the Erlang Men system but rather a form or so that is called Erlang of which there are many within other styles.

I posted some clips of Erlang a while back such as the following:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIQNnQ2JVMs&feature=related

Regards
Wu Chanlong

Sal Canzonieri
07-11-2008, 07:00 AM
Sal,

Erlang Men is actually very different from Ba Fan Shou....and is a large system on its own etc. I presume you have not seen the Erlang Men system but rather a form or so that is called Erlang of which there are many within other styles.

I posted some clips of Erlang a while back such as the following:

Regards
Wu Chanlong

Thanks, I was thinking of Er Lang Quan, not Er Lang Men.
The Er Lang Quan I was thinking of was part of the material that General Zhao taught in Hebei area, along with other stuff he taught such as Jin Gang Chui, and Fanzi Chuo Jiao material.

Looking at those Er Lang Quan sets on youtube, you can see some kind of similarity to movements also seen in Yan Qing / MiSong and also Cha Quan / Tan Tui.

Why are they so similar? At least on the surface?

But, there also is a resemblance to Fanzi too. Again, at least on the surface.

What's the history of Er Lang Men system?

Not all Er Lang Quan sets are from Er Lang Men system.
Same way that many styles have a Wu Song Breaks Manacles set.

Shaolin Master
07-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Thanks, I was thinking of Er Lang Quan, not Er Lang Men.
The Er Lang Quan I was thinking of was part of the material that General Zhao taught in Hebei area, along with other stuff he taught such as Jin Gang Chui, and Fanzi Chuo Jiao material.

Looking at those Er Lang Quan sets on youtube, you can see some kind of similarity to movements also seen in Yan Qing / MiSong and also Cha Quan / Tan Tui.

Why are they so similar? At least on the surface?

But, there also is a resemblance to Fanzi too. Again, at least on the surface.

What's the history of Er Lang Men system?

Not all Er Lang Quan sets are from Er Lang Men system.
Same way that many styles have a Wu Song Breaks Manacles set.

Actually, Erlangquan and Jingangquan sets are actually differently featured to the other aspectis of Chuojiao ....so you should be careful with that.

The Beijing Chuojiao fanzi sets are also not really Bafanquan as much as the singular sets of chuojiao that were renamed, again be careful with nomenclature.

The similarities of Yanqing, Erlang etc...is that they have all influenced one another a different stages of their evolution. No real resemblance to Fanzi ...unless your surface is very shallow but then everything becomes the same...

History of Erlang will post later but there are offshoots of northern type of Shaolin in some literature.

and Yes not all erlangquan sets are from erlangmen so be careful to not mix them up...

Cheers,
Wu Chanlong

Sal Canzonieri
07-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Actually, Erlangquan and Jingangquan sets are actually differently featured to the other aspectis of Chuojiao ....so you should be careful with that.

The Beijing Chuojiao fanzi sets are also not really Bafanquan as much as the singular sets of chuojiao that were renamed, again be careful with nomenclature.

The similarities of Yanqing, Erlang etc...is that they have all influenced one another a different stages of their evolution. No real resemblance to Fanzi ...unless your surface is very shallow but then everything becomes the same...

History of Erlang will post later but there are offshoots of northern type of Shaolin in some literature.

and Yes not all erlangquan sets are from erlangmen so be careful to not mix them up...

Cheers,
Wu Chanlong

ok, well, it woudl eb very cool of you to post some kind of history of Er Lang Men, and also something outlining what the different fanzi / chuo jiao styles are and so forth, something that will help get one's bearings.

Also, what is General Zhao's Jingangquan like?

Shaolin Master
07-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Lest someone misunderstand this and make assumptions that aren't correct:

I've been practicing and learning CMA since 1975.

All the forms that I post about, I have actually learned and I only post about material that I have done at least for 10 years of time.

So, it's not that I am 'Comparing videos", I am comparing what I do in one form to what i do in another form.

I may show it to you via a video, but it's not videos I am comparing, it's real movements and postures in actual sets that I have hands on experience with for at least a decade.

ok, well, it woudl eb very cool of you to post some kind of history of Er Lang Men, and also something outlining what the different fanzi / chuo jiao styles are and so forth, something that will help get one's bearings.

Also, what is General Zhao's Jingangquan like?

In terms of Chuojiao this has been outlined in the below
http://www.satirio.com/ma/chuojiao/lineage.html

and a smaller treatise on Beijing Chuojiao Fanzi as well below:
http://www.satirio.com/ma/chuojiao/beijing.html

Regarding Jinggangquan/chui, the reason it is called 'jinggang' as commonly known by all of us that practice it in Chuojiao (which are only a few of the older lines) is because it focuses on the 5 hardnesses into one. This principle is to provide structure which is similar to its sister set of Liuhegen. Whilst later sets have different focuses.

Erlangmen is a completely different thing and will appear on the website sometime in early 2009.

But I do not get it, if you had commented does that not mean that you studied them before and would know such things !

Kind Regards,
Wu Chanlong

Sal Canzonieri
07-12-2008, 10:12 AM
In terms of Chuojiao this has been outlined in the below
http://www.satirio.com/ma/chuojiao/lineage.html

and a smaller treatise on Beijing Chuojiao Fanzi as well below:
http://www.satirio.com/ma/chuojiao/beijing.html

Regarding Jinggangquan/chui, the reason it is called 'jinggang' as commonly known by all of us that practice it in Chuojiao (which are only a few of the older lines) is because it focuses on the 5 hardnesses into one. This principle is to provide structure which is similar to its sister set of Liuhegen. Whilst later sets have different focuses.

Erlangmen is a completely different thing and will appear on the website sometime in early 2009.

But I do not get it, if you had commented does that not mean that you studied them before and would know such things !

Kind Regards,
Wu Chanlong

Never said I studied these two particular sets.
I'm talking about the sets that I have written articles on in the past and currently, that I have been researching the origins of.
History wise, other styles and sets seem to cross over into areas that I am researching, so that's why they come up and I comment on them.
Thanks.

Is this JinGang Ba shi set anything like the JinGang Chui set from the Chuojiao Fanzi stuff?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XO85ewT6Ik

(****! What is the best name to use for the entire system that General Zhao taught without getting it confused with the Beijing style of the same name?)

Shaolin Master
07-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Never said I studied these two particular sets.
I'm talking about the sets that I have written articles on in the past and currently, that I have been researching the origins of.
History wise, other styles and sets seem to cross over into areas that I am researching, so that's why they come up and I comment on them.
Thanks.

Is this JinGang Ba shi set anything like the JinGang Chui set from the Chuojiao Fanzi stuff?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XO85ewT6Ik

No Jinggang Bashi is different thing, the most common Jinggang Bashi is that of Tianjin from Master Shi Yushan (石玉山), the set was assimilated into a few other styles like Bajiquan (Both Huo and Li lineages).

fyi.....the names Er Lang, Jin Gang, Ba Wang etc are used regularly as they are like saints, deities or warriors of heaven type legends............

Chuojiao Jingangquan/chui is difficult to find good representation:

There is a clip of one of my students a few years ago after having just learned the set so the performance a bit poor is not the best:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PcYSlC4wPs&feature=related

also version by An jiyong, seemingly different but within there are some related techniques and that is because it was re-odered/sequenced for the filming:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QwTWPxF9Yg&feature=related

Both are only a very small part as the set is quite long.

The issues is that Zhao Canyi did not really teach all alone everywhere, sometimes there were other teachers and troops which confuses the issue :-)....
Naming, we just apply the names according to lineages such as explained in previously advised http://www.satirio.com/ma/chuojiao/lineage.html.