PDA

View Full Version : Who are the best Chinese teachers today?

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Of all the Chinese teachers in the US, who is teaching real Old School Chinese Kung Fu, and what makes thier schools so good? What can we learn from their success?

Mulong
07-03-2008, 05:26 AM
Can this be honestly answered; first it is any opinion, which varies greatly from person to person. Also, what is Old School; does that make it better if it is enshrined in myths?

In my opinion the best Shifu is the one that you can’t find in the local school, but the one that finds you.

sanjuro_ronin
07-03-2008, 05:47 AM
Of all the Chinese teachers in the US, who is teaching real Old School Chinese Kung Fu, and what makes thier schools so good? What can we learn from their success?

Define "old school kung fu".
Define "good"
Define "success"
Define "best".
Then you can ask the question.

By the way, the guy you ragged on in the other thread, Master Chan, was widely regarded as "one of the best" and not only as a teacher but an all-around kung fu man.

Mulong
07-03-2008, 06:17 AM
Isn’t that statement a bit racist, i.e., Chinese teacher? Honestly, do we have to originate any particular ethnic group to be good in martial arts?

Truthfully, you should have considered this question, because you have offended a lot of individuals, who aren’t of Asian background.

Does being Chinese makes you better in the arts of Chinese martial arts? NO!!! So many individuals, who contribute to this forum aren’t Chinese and their knowledge surpasses most Chinese Shifus.

We soon forget that we already have at least three-generation of non-Chinese Shifu, who are extremely knowledge of their particular arts.

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-03-2008, 06:31 AM
I am specifically interested in who the top Chinese teachers are, not the Western ones. I know there are plenty of high quality Western teachers of Kung Fu.

Also, it is NOT racists to recognize that Kung Fu COMES from China, and want to know who that countries top exponents are. This thread has nothing to do with your modern liberal, multicultural propaganda, and I have no intention of taking part in that crap, so keep your politics off my thread.

By the way, the guy you ragged on in the other thread, Master Chan, was widely regarded as "one of the best" and not only as a teacher but an all-around kung fu man.

Reply]
Ok, what made him such a great Kung fu player?

The Willow Sword
07-03-2008, 06:48 AM
In Austin we have a really good Chinese traditional teacher. His name is "Li Jun Feng" He teaches Taichi and Qiqong and i think he still teaches some kung fu at the Academy of Oriental Medicine. He has kind of crossed over into the realm of new agey qiqong practice, but hey that's his thing and i figure for as long as Li Jun Feng has been practicing and coaching and teaching martial arts, he can do whatever he wants. He is certainly one of the more "Authentic" teachers here in Austin. Not to down the others but the question posed in this topic was a specific one.
Peace,TWS

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Can you describe what makes him good? How are his lessons structured? How does he relate to his students?

sanjuro_ronin
07-03-2008, 06:56 AM
I am specifically interested in who the top Chinese teachers are, not the Western ones. I know there are plenty of high quality Western teachers of Kung Fu.

Also, it is NOT racists to recognize that Kung Fu COMES from China, and want to know who that countries top exponents are. This thread has nothing to do with your modern liberal, multicultural propaganda, and I have no intention of taking part in that crap, so keep your politics off my thread.

Reply]
Ok, what made him such a great Kung fu player?

Part 1 of 3, you can find the other 2 parts yourself ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMSLjcUzuZM

SPJ
07-03-2008, 07:07 AM
I guess depending on what you are interested.

I am interested in Wu Tai Ji and Bai Yuan Tong Bei.

I know there is this teacher in pittsburg PA. He was the student of Wang Pei Sheng.

If you are interested in Ba Ji and Yin Fu Ba Gua.

I know there are several Wu Tan related teachers, in LA, and ohio.

--

;):):cool:

lkfmdc
07-03-2008, 07:10 AM
Isn’t that statement a bit racist, i.e., Chinese teacher? Honestly, do we have to originate any particular ethnic group to be good in martial arts?

Didn't you get the memo? To be good, and to have learned the "real stuff" you have to be Chinese! Even if you appear to be a total clown with no skill, as long as you are Chinese you MUST be a master! Really, where have you been?

(/sarcasm)

:D

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-03-2008, 07:16 AM
Interesting clips. In part two he is talking about how todays students don't have as much respect for the teacher, and how in the old days the teachers could tell a student to practice for hours, but you can't today.

Which i find funny because there are gymnastics clubs in every major city who train just as hard as Kung Fu people do, for hours and hours and hours and they don't seem to have this problem. The same goes for any other fighting discipline as well. Not to mention Dancers, competitive ice skaters, and marathon competitors, and weight lifters, body builders, Old Time strong men, Yoga practitioners and just general health club junkies. etc...

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-03-2008, 07:24 AM
I think Master Chan might be more well known for his medical teachings.

How well did his students perform in fighting competitions?

Mulong
07-03-2008, 07:25 AM
Who stated that wushu doesn’t come from China?

“This thread has nothing to do with your modern liberal, multicultural propaganda, and I have no intention of taking part in that crap, so keep your politics off my thread.”

Pardon me, not trying to make this quote, unquote thread into crap; however, in reexamining your question, I found it bias; hence, my statement. Therefore, you are jumping the gun my dear sir.

At the end this is a public forum (I think; is it Gene?); hence, you may start the thread, but you can’t control where it leads.

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-03-2008, 07:27 AM
I guess depending on what you are interested.

I am interested in Wu Tai Ji and Bai Yuan Tong Bei.

I know there is this teacher in pittsburg PA. He was the student of Wang Pei Sheng.

If you are interested in Ba Ji and Yin Fu Ba Gua.

I know there are several Wu Tan related teachers, in LA, and ohio.

--

;):):cool:

Reply]
I am not really talking about my or anyone else's particular interests, but what makes the teacher a good teacher, and who ARE the good Kung Fu teachers (reguardless of style). By good I mean the ones who can still develop a high degree of fighting skill quickly and with the style they profess to teach.

Mulong
07-03-2008, 07:28 AM
IKFMDC; sadly I didn’t get the memo that is why I really don’t venture here; I give you utmost prop for doing so! ;)

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-03-2008, 07:31 AM
IKFMDC; sadly I didn’t get the memo that is why I really don’t venture here; I give you utmost prop for doing so! ;)

Reply]
The issues has nothing to do with the stereo type that all Chinese teachers are better than non Chinese,that is some nonsensical jibberish you and Ross are reading into it.

I have a totally different premis, and reason for asking these questions.

SPJ
07-03-2008, 07:33 AM
Yes.

There is this trend in China.

All the "old" school teachers/styles, they have a crash course/lessons for students interested in participating in san shou or wu lin lei tai etc.

They are just practices of techniques and apps and following the rule sets of tournaments.

---

I guess the best bet would be contacting Kuo Shu lei tai fed in the states.

And see who's students are competing and go from there.

--

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-03-2008, 07:34 AM
Do you know any yourself?

Mulong
07-03-2008, 07:38 AM
I do apologize for my ignorance; however, if you don’t mind educating me; can you answer your own question, because I do know some great Chinese Shifu like Mr. Ross does too. Sadly those great teachers don’t teach publicly.

SPJ
07-03-2008, 07:39 AM
http://www.twksf.org/about.html

my personal contacts in the states are limited.

my brothers are active in Taiwan.

--

--

:(

sanjuro_ronin
07-03-2008, 07:39 AM
A lot of TCMA teacher teach what they think the majority of their students want to learn, typically, forms and such.
Fighting is left for those that show an interest in that.

Interesting clips. In part two he is talking about how todays students don't have as much respect for the teacher, and how in the old days the teachers could tell a student to practice for hours, but you can't today.

Which i find funny because there are gymnastics clubs in every major city who train just as hard as Kung Fu people do, for hours and hours and hours and they don't seem to have this problem. The same goes for any other fighting discipline as well. Not to mention Dancers, competitive ice skaters, and marathon competitors, and weight lifters, body builders, Old Time strong men, Yoga practitioners and just general health club junkies. etc...

The training he was talking about is not that type.

I think Master Chan might be more well known for his medical teachings.

How well did his students perform in fighting competitions?

I don't know how well they have done in competitions, all their opponets are dead so I can't ask them.
:D

B-Rad
07-03-2008, 07:40 AM

So Chinese as in from mainland China and Taiwan (or other predominately Chinese territories/countries)? Do American born Chinese count? BTW, you made it political with your idiotic nonsensical rant just because someone complained about your racist question :D Not his fault you aren't specific enough or didn't explain yourself well. Your question as written is pretty dumb.

lkfmdc
07-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Kung Fu originally comes from India (Ask DaMo!), so you need to seek out the best INDIAN teachers

SPJ
07-03-2008, 07:44 AM

--

--

so the next world lei tai sponsored by them would be in Germany, 2009.

:)

SPJ
07-03-2008, 07:48 AM
http://www.usksf.org/home/index.htm

Mulong
07-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Thanks B-Rad; I thought I read it wrong.

RD’S Alias-1A, I do hope you aren’t taking this personal, but you question left it self open to questioning; just that. You must realize it is an opinion and as you well know that varies from personal to personal.

Maybe if it was rephrase question; for example: who do we consider to be top classical style instructors in the United States and from what generation?

In my humble opinion that is crucial, which generation, because that determines a lot; for example, you want fighting per se; you want to train with someone, who can physically demonstrated it, or if you want theories then someone, who is wiser will do.

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-03-2008, 08:23 AM
At this point I would rather keep this strictly to the Chinese teachers only.

As for how I would answer my own question, I have already mentioned Johnny Tsai and his Father (who is in Shandong currently). also, Wai Lun Choi is highly respected as an old style teacher whos emphasis is on actual fighting usage.

Does anyone have any other Chinese masters that are really good?

brothernumber9
07-03-2008, 11:35 AM
I have an obvious bias, but I'll throw my teacher's name in the hat

Sifu Tai Yim (Yim Tai). Teaches Shaolin Hung Fut (Hung Kuen Fut Jeong). The style is a few hundred years old (not sure what qualifies 'real' old shcool). My sifu fought with it successfully both in the street and in competetive venues.

To me what makes the school good is the environment to improving ones' selves that the school facilitates in a broad spectrum of avenues; Physical, Spiritual, Theological, personal, competetive, morally, etc.
In addition, the school has produced examples of competetive success and/or respectful recognition in the gamut of what many consider traditional Chinsese martial arts: Fighting, Sets, History, Culture, Art, Lion/Dragon Dance, Philosophy, Humanity, Competition, and a host of things that can help supplement an individual's development to become a decent human being

One of the things I could learn from his success is perseverence (sp?) in his pursuit for what he wanted to do in life which was teach Hung Fut in the U.S. And the lessons learned and sometimes required in adapting how to teach in order to keep a balance so that what is being taught doesn't die out. One thing that anyone could learn from him, of course, is Hung Fut kung fu.

There you go RD. A straight answer to your questions.

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-03-2008, 11:50 AM

--

--

Reply]
Then tell of the people you know in Taiwan.

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-03-2008, 11:52 AM
I have an obvious bias, but I'll throw my teacher's name in the hat

Sifu Tai Yim (Yim Tai). Teaches Shaolin Hung Fut (Hung Kuen Fut Jeong). The style is a few hundred years old (not sure what qualifies 'real' old shcool). My sifu fought with it successfully both in the street and in competetive venues.

To me what makes the school good is the environment to improving ones' selves that the school facilitates in a broad spectrum of avenues; Physical, Spiritual, Theological, personal, competetive, morally, etc.
In addition, the school has produced examples of competetive success and/or respectful recognition in the gamut of what many consider traditional Chinsese martial arts: Fighting, Sets, History, Culture, Art, Lion/Dragon Dance, Philosophy, Humanity, Competition, and a host of things that can help supplement an individual's development to become a decent human being

One of the things I could learn from his success is perseverence (sp?) in his pursuit for what he wanted to do in life which was teach Hung Fut in the U.S. And the lessons learned and sometimes required in adapting how to teach in order to keep a balance so that what is being taught doesn't die out. One thing that anyone could learn from him, of course, is Hung Fut kung fu.

There you go RD. A straight answer to your questions.

Reply]
AWESOME!! That is what I am looking for!!

Keep them coming, who else is out there?

bodhitree
07-03-2008, 12:54 PM
I hear there's a good guy named Chen, one called Wang, there's a Li somewhere in the northeast, oh, and a Hu on first, wen on second.

Who's on second?

No. Hu is on first, Wen is on second.

What do you mean when, whenever whoever is on first gets there, now what's the guys name on first....

TenTigers
07-03-2008, 01:01 PM
ahhhh, (sigh) ok. If you go to NYC's Chinatown, and go to the parks, ask about a man they call, "Ah-Lik." He is very good, specializes in Siu Lum Hung Kuen, and he will teach you, but I must warn you, he has the reputation for being, um, shall we say, a bit...eccentric?

TenTigers
07-03-2008, 01:04 PM
when you go to see him, besides bringing a hefty lai-see, you should also bring a bottle of Sho Chiku Bai Nigori Sake, and a bottle of Ng Ka Pei.
oh yeah, and one of Sanjuro's girls. He'll know the one.

sanjuro_ronin
07-03-2008, 01:06 PM
when you go to see him, besides bringing a hefty lai-see, you should also bring a bottle of Sho Chiku Bai Nigori Sake, and a bottle of Ng Ka Pei.
oh yeah, and one of Sanjuro's girls. He'll know the one.

Hey !
You know how hard it is to get her???
And I thought we were gonna keep "Ah-Lik" under wraps?

sanjuro_ronin
07-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Forget Ah-Lik, since you are in NYC Chinatown, go and ask for Caine, he will help you.

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-03-2008, 02:03 PM
You know guys, if I had asked who the top MMA teachers were, I'd have 20 names by now, but instead I asked who the top Chinese teachers are and you all do nothing but make stupid jokes and accusations of racisim. Only a couple posts got with the program. What is wrong with you people?

TenTigers
07-03-2008, 02:22 PM
well, to be frank-it's a small world, and naming names means you need to know who wants their names mentioned and who doesn't.
I know two men in particular,(one, an ex-military/police) who have fought challenge fights in China, and HK,, as well as back alleys, etc. (So they have real world experience, against fighters. Perhaps not sport fighters, but then again, sport fighters don't have knives on them either) One in particular is very quiet, but friendly. But have absolutely no interest in teaching. They might do some push hands with you, but that's about it. Perhaps if you hung out long enough, got to know them, for a year or two, but as far as I know, they haven't taken any students.
So, it's not whether these guys exist or not. It's whether these guys want to go through the trouble of investing the time and effort (it's a two-way street) in someone who may or may not be willing to commit themselves to the level that they are accustomed to. Atthis point in their lives, they would rather spend their time relaxing, and playing with their friends.

SPJ
07-03-2008, 02:36 PM
I hear there's a good guy named Chen, one called Wang, there's a Li somewhere in the northeast, oh, and a Hu on first, wen on second.

Who's on second?

No. Hu is on first, Wen is on second.

What do you mean when, whenever whoever is on first gets there, now what's the guys name on first....

Hu meaning Hu Jin Tao?

Wen meaning Wen Jia Bao?

mmm.

They are Chinese president and premier?

:D;)

SPJ
07-03-2008, 02:38 PM
I could name a few and a lot.

But most of them know me or close friends.

People would say I am biased or prejuidiced.

so

--

;)

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-03-2008, 02:47 PM
People have said I am racist for even asking the question, I don't let it bother me. We can only speak of who we know, it's not prejudiced or bais to do so. It's sharing info in a positive manor to help others know where the good stuff is.

cjurakpt
07-03-2008, 03:23 PM
ahhhh, (sigh) ok. If you go to NYC's Chinatown, and go to the parks, ask about a man they call, "Ah-Lik." He is very good, specializes in Siu Lum Hung Kuen, and he will teach you, but I must warn you, he has the reputation for being, um, shall we say, a bit...eccentric?
certainly, then, he would hold no interest for me...:rolleyes:

well, to be frank-it's a small world, and naming names means you need to know who wants their names mentioned and who doesn't.
I know two men in particular,(one, an ex-military/police) who have fought challenge fights in China, and HK,, as well as back alleys, etc. (So they have real world experience, against fighters. Perhaps not sport fighters, but then again, sport fighters don't have knives on them either) One in particular is very quiet, but friendly. But have absolutely no interest in teaching. They might do some push hands with you, but that's about it. Perhaps if you hung out long enough, got to know them, for a year or two, but as far as I know, they haven't taken any students.
So, it's not whether these guys exist or not. It's whether these guys want to go through the trouble of investing the time and effort (it's a two-way street) in someone who may or may not be willing to commit themselves to the level that they are accustomed to. Atthis point in their lives, they would rather spend their time relaxing, and playing with their friends.
this is pretty much the truth; but consider also, that another reason may be that these guys don't teach because they weren't taught how; meaning that they can push / spin fine, but they may be lacking in the apparatus to convey their approach;

TenTigers
07-03-2008, 03:46 PM
I agree. Many people can do Martial Arts, not everyone can convey its sublties. Teaching involves not only good communication skills, but the ability to develop a well thought out curriculum.

TenTigers
07-03-2008, 03:48 PM
it's funny, but we have the idea in our heads that everyone wants to teach, when in actuality,many people do NOT want to teach. Unfortunately, many systems have died out as a result of this. I have met some people who have absolutely no qualms about having their system die with them.

cjurakpt
07-03-2008, 03:50 PM
I agree. Many people can do Martial Arts, not everyone can convey its sublties. Teaching involves not only good communication skills, but the ability to develop a well thought out curriculum.

case in point, Sifu Sam Chin

lkfmdc
07-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Sam Ting, different day....

unkokusai
07-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Is it true that racists have trouble using the quote function?

cjurakpt
07-03-2008, 04:03 PM

no, they train in basements...

unkokusai
07-03-2008, 04:08 PM
no, they train in basements...

Ah..............

lkfmdc
07-03-2008, 04:18 PM

No, no, RACISTS are the ones who have trouble answering questions directly put to them!

cjurakpt
07-03-2008, 04:24 PM
No, no, RACISTS are the ones who have trouble answering questions directly put to them!

it does get confusing; but can you imagine, the nice gentleman on the "Lama seminar" thread actually produced a direct answer to the lineage question we had - the man should be bronzed!

SPJ
07-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Yes. as pointed out good teachers are hard to find.

Some people are good at whatever they are doing but may not be willing to teach.

anyhoo;

1. each style has its own group of people. if you are into a certain style, pretty much everyone knows everyone. The relationship between the student and a teacher in general is private. so technically, if I am not your student, how could I know you are a good teacher.

2. people from the same trade do not comment on one another. If we both share the same info of a said style or even within the same line of teachers. We can only say good things and not bad. Because it would bring shame or damage to ourself, too, if we said so and so are not good. You do not deface your own people and schools etc.

--

ask a few people in a certain style, pretty soon you would find the right teacher within the style.

--

agreed that dynamic between a teacher and a student is critical.

a good teacher for me and may not be good for you.

--

Teachers that I would recommend are the people that I know.

1. Tony Yang for mantis, ba ji from ohio.

2. Jason Tsou for yin ba gua, and swordplay from east LA.

3. John Wang for Cheng style shuai Jiao from Texas.

--

They have students actively participating in tournaments or sword fights etc.

Hitman
07-04-2008, 03:37 AM
" people from the same trade do not comment on one another. If we both share the same info of a said style or even within the same line of teachers. We can only say good things and not bad. Because it would bring shame or damage to ourself, too, if we said so and so are not good. You do not deface your own people and schools etc."

Very interesting.
How come there are wing chun teachers who wrote on their web sites saying that they were not happy with their former teachers and the reasons why they left? However, they never mentioned their former teachers' names.

Hitman

Laukarbo
07-04-2008, 05:58 PM
I always thought the best chinese teacher in america was David Caradine...:confused:

David Jamieson
07-05-2008, 06:20 AM
This is a hard question to answer.

having a high profiule or being well advertised doesn't equate to the best. I think after a few years living in a capitalist society, we should all have the wool thoroughly scrubbed from our eyes by now.

There are many absolutely terrific teachers of Chinese Heritage who are virtually unknown all over the world.

cest la vie.

SPJ
07-05-2008, 06:39 AM
seeking a good teacher is really an individual persuit.

Each of us has different needs, progression--

a certain teacher may teach or guide us a certain aspect of those persuits.

--

SPJ
07-05-2008, 06:44 AM
" people from the same trade do not comment on one another. If we both share the same info of a said style or even within the same line of teachers. We can only say good things and not bad. Because it would bring shame or damage to ourself, too, if we said so and so are not good. You do not deface your own people and schools etc."

Very interesting.
How come there are wing chun teachers who wrote on their web sites saying that they were not happy with their former teachers and the reasons why they left? However, they never mentioned their former teachers' names.

Hitman

1. if some one asked your teacher, it is better to say he is good.

2. if some one asked among the students, are you the best? or commenting on fellow students.

it is better to say that I practice the hardest or most diligently. so and so has talents. so and so stayed the longest and learned the most from a teacher.

pick something good to say, it is all good will and good politics.

never and never say you are the best and everyone else is no good and your teacher is no good b/c--

how good we are has to come out of other people's mouth and not ours.

even then we have to be humble and joke away.

--

:D;)

Sifu Darkfist
07-05-2008, 06:59 AM
Gm Tony Yang
Gm Marlon Ma
Gm Su YU Chang
Gm Huang
Gm Tai Yim
Gm Sun De Yao
Gm Chan
Gm Hsu
M Tsou
Gm KUrt Wong
Gm Henry Chung
GM Lilly Lau
GM ON ON ON ON the list is long
Seeing how i have met and know many of these very well i can honestly say that this list is full of high quality "Chinese Bloodline" Teachers
THese are all Chinese/ both PROC and ROC

However the list hurts some really high quality western GM
GM Mike Barry
GM NIck Gracenin
MASTER NICK SCRIMA

oh and in the spirit of comedy let us NOT FORGET
GRAND MASTER FLASH AND MASTER P

SPJ
07-05-2008, 07:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUopaN9ID0Q&feature=related

for people doing tai ji.

see how many teachers you recognise?

yes most of them passed away.

some are still living and may come to the states off and on.

such as

Chen style 4 kings or tian wang.

1. Zhu tian cai. (school in LA and san francisco)

2. Chen xiao wan (NY and LA)

3. Chen Zhen Lei (TX)

4. Wang Xi An ( do not travel, have to go to visit him in Chen Jia Gou)

----

Mulong
07-05-2008, 08:39 AM
At the end there is no good or bad teacher, because each individual has different pursuits; for example, if you are interested in the skill of qinna, you will most likely, look for Dr. Yang, Mr. Lin, etc., because these individuals have proven to have some proficiency in this particular area. (In case someone is curious why I stated proficiency; at the end of day it is an opinion, because others may argue your comment, which is valid.)

However, they are maybe others, who have achieve a level proficiency, i.e., qinna, that we aren’t aware of; I gather, these individuals prefer it like this. You may say it is their own personal achievements, not meant for others to know. Hey, weren’t you supposed to keep your skills a secret?

In my humble opinion, true art of pugilism isn’t meant for the masses; hence, the notion of close-door students. ::eek:

Mulong
07-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Curious Sifu Darkfist; how did you determine these individuals are good? (I do apologize for being the devil advocate; nothing personal, but I’m trying to point out all of these statements are opinion, which are valid or not.)

Hence, what makes a good teacher or martial artist? Is this base on an individual skills in a competitive area; is being a taolu champ the same as being a sanshou one, or do you need to be both, i.e., Jason Ming Yee?

Does having a success school make you a good teacher; which means you are a good businessperson that has a good product?

Dare I say what makes you good at the end is that you personally believe in what you are doing is good for you? Hence, you don’t need to be validated by someone else?

nuxia
07-05-2008, 07:59 PM
I have to say check out STOH. Guolin is old school. And the young wushu/chi na masters are a lot of fun. Bare bones, unpretentious training. They just put out a video on youtube that shows what's on offer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2XnnFn-0NU

David Jamieson
07-06-2008, 09:29 AM
I have to say check out STOH. Guolin is old school. And the young wushu/chi na masters are a lot of fun. Bare bones, unpretentious training. They just put out a video on youtube that shows what's on offer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2XnnFn-0NU

He's become a bit controversial of late what with the suicide of the disciple and the fingers pointing at him and so on. I am not certain that ST in america is held in the same regard it once was.

TaichiMantis
07-07-2008, 05:03 AM
At this point I would rather keep this strictly to the Chinese teachers only.

As for how I would answer my own question, I have already mentioned Johnny Tsai and his Father (who is in Shandong currently). also, Wai Lun Choi is highly respected as an old style teacher whos emphasis is on actual fighting usage.

Does anyone have any other Chinese masters that are really good?

Li Yen Hoa (http://martialtalkmagazine.com/subs/jan2004.pdf), one of the 12 discliples of Chui Chuk Kai, teaches Tai Chi Praying Mantis here in Grand Rapids.
The website for his school is www.sifulee.com

MightyB
07-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Gm Tony Yang
Gm Marlon Ma
Gm Su YU Chang
Gm Huang
Gm Tai Yim
Gm Sun De Yao
Gm Chan
Gm Hsu
M Tsou
Gm KUrt Wong
Gm Henry Chung
GM Lilly Lau
GM ON ON ON ON the list is long
Seeing how i have met and know many of these very well i can honestly say that this list is full of high quality "Chinese Bloodline" Teachers
THese are all Chinese/ both PROC and ROC

However the list hurts some really high quality western GM
GM Mike Barry
GM NIck Gracenin
MASTER NICK SCRIMA

oh and in the spirit of comedy let us NOT FORGET
GRAND MASTER FLASH AND MASTER P

Good List Sifu Darkfist!

Mulong- you'd just have to know them to know.

I also second Tai Chi Mantis with Li Yen Hoa. Another good one in GR is Sifu Chan. In New York-- Tony Chuy. Don't forget Lily Lau's little brother James Lau. For more westerners- ad Sifu Raymond Fogg and his kung fu exchange disciples. Don't forget the all important Cung Le. Another good one in GR is Sifu Duffin.

Ray Pina
07-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Didn't read the whole thread because the first page was political and no one gave an answer.

I'd suggest Master David Bond Chan in NYC.

THe whole "Chinese" thing is relevant in a way. A American would not have been able to get some of the instruction Master Chan received.

His Ba Gua comes from Master Wong Ztong Fei (I'm sure I screwed that up). And his Hsing-I comes from Master Sau, the head coach of the Beijing Wushu team when Jet LI demonstrated for Nixon.

Master Wong was discovered through a Chinese friend and Master Chan had money at the time to pay for him to come and stay in NYC to learn privately.

Master Chan hosted Master Sau and his family during his US visit and was informed by Master Sau's son that though he teaches WuShu, his father's personal style and specialty was Hsing-I.

Maybe you can get that level of both lineage and training today easily in the US. I haven't seen it though. When I last saw master Chan he was in his mid-60s and punching me in the face. Great teacher. Great man. He has taught me so many important things and lot of them are martially related.

jmd161
07-07-2008, 11:24 AM

Great Point!

I would throw my sifu's name in the hat, but he would rather stay un-known to his new friends that have no clue he knows martial arts. I'll just mention his name they don't know him by Kuen Wu.;)

jeff:)

Mulong
07-07-2008, 07:17 PM
MightyB, I actually know these individuals; and some are friends!:rolleyes:

TaichiMantis
07-07-2008, 11:54 PM
I would also have to add my kung fu uncle, Randy Choy. You can read some of his articles on mantis and tai chi training here (http://i-chuan.net/pages/ChoyIndex.html).

"Mr. Choy was born in Honolulu, Hawaii. He began his training in Southern Chinese Boxing in 1960. Mr. Choy has since studied numerous styles and systems of Chinese Martial arts including, Northern Praying Mantis, Taijiquan-Chen, Yang, Wu styles, Bak Mei Pai, Wu mei Pai, Hakka Pai, Hsing Yi Quan and Choy Li Fut. Mr. Ckoy is a member of Chinese Athletic Arts Academy, Hawaii Martial Arts International Society. He has been inducted into several Hall of Fames and hold a 10th degree Grandmasters Rank".

Shaolinlueb
07-08-2008, 09:48 AM
just because a teacher is chiense doesnt make them "the best" there are plenty of great non chinese teachers out there.

TaichiMantis
07-09-2008, 08:09 AM
just because a teacher is chiense doesnt make them "the best" there are plenty of great non chinese teachers out there.

True, but refer to the title of this thread. Maybe you could start a new one for non-chinese teachers. I know a few I would list ;)