PDA

View Full Version : hyooge PR

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-04-2008, 07:07 AM
biked 16 miles on my very first outing. i was still learning the gears and my buddy made me go 16 fuking miles. that might not sound like much for some of yall, but my cardio is ****. i completely killed myself on the first half because i had it in a lower gear and i was going ape**** to get nowhere. on the way back my buddy told me to switch to a higher gear, and after a while i found a rythem. everything burned, i wanted to puke, but i just focused on my breathing and my quads. i just pretended it was a high rep set of squats. one that never ended.

speaking of squats i got 245 for 3 sets of 8 the very next day. also might not sound like much, but im weak in anything over 5 reps.

Oso
07-05-2008, 07:05 AM
road or mountain?

in any event, if you haven't got them yet, get clips or drop the money for clipless shoes and pedals...you can shop around the net and find stuff pretty cheap if you know your euro shoe size.

with clips/clipless you have the option of utilizing the hams to pull up on the opposite pedal as you push down obviously increasing the power applied to the stroke and eventually when you get the rythm you lose all up/down motion and are working in a circle of power that is more efficient by far

congrats, I love biking and need to get out more.

Vash
07-05-2008, 07:25 AM
Congrats. Me and "miles" don't get along too well.

Hell, the other night I got on the elliptical for 15 minutes. My calves are still sore.

How long have you been on your bb cycle, btw?

IronFist
07-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Well done, GDA.

Hey GDA, because of a back injury a few months ago I've switched to doing squats with a wider powerlifting-type stance. Once my hip adductors got used to it, I really started to like them! This style of squat puts less stress on my lower back. I think I'm going to do them this way for the rest of my life.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-08-2008, 02:31 PM
road or mountain?

in any event, if you haven't got them yet, get clips or drop the money for clipless shoes and pedals...you can shop around the net and find stuff pretty cheap if you know your euro shoe size.

with clips/clipless you have the option of utilizing the hams to pull up on the opposite pedal as you push down obviously increasing the power applied to the stroke and eventually when you get the rythm you lose all up/down motion and are working in a circle of power that is more efficient by far

congrats, I love biking and need to get out more.

well ... technically a road, but i live in wv so there are some short but steep hills just on the way to the bike path. especially on the way back which was a pain in the ass.

i hadn't even heard of clips, but i like the idea. it sounds like it would be easier on the hips somehow too.

Oso
07-08-2008, 02:45 PM
what type of bike did you buy? road or mountain? or something hybrid?

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Congrats. Me and "miles" don't get along too well.

you and me both brother.

How long have you been on your bb cycle, btw?

hmmm ... id say 8 or 9 weeks. i sprained my ankle shortly after my meet on march 22nd and had about 2 1/2 weeks off. afterwards i tried to do 235 for 3 sets of 8 ... made 3 sets of 5 ... and couldnt walk for days due to doms. im going for 250 3x8 this friday so thats marked improvement. also ... i had a rough time getting 185 for 3x8 on bench as well, but once i hit it i got 190 and 195 without a problem. will do 200 tonight or tomorrow.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Well done, GDA.

Hey GDA, because of a back injury a few months ago I've switched to doing squats with a wider powerlifting-type stance. Once my hip adductors got used to it, I really started to like them! This style of squat puts less stress on my lower back. I think I'm going to do them this way for the rest of my life.

haha ... oddly enough i narrowed my stance and even allow my knees to track forward oly style now. most important thing is not to be afraid to give new things a proper go me thinks.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-08-2008, 03:24 PM
what type of bike did you buy? road or mountain? or something hybrid?

actually suzi got it for me not this fathers day or the last, but two fathers days ago. just never got around to riding it.

its a mongoose ... straight mountain bike i guess, but i honestly dont know much about them. i thought it was way too big for me, its 26'' and im 5'4'', but after i got used to it i think i like it better for longer trips.

TenTigers
07-08-2008, 03:55 PM
oooooh...when you said Hyoooge PR, I thought you were talkin about like a 6'4"350lb guy from San Juan.

I added squats to my routine, just very light weight for strengthening my knees and glutes, but running is impossible for two days afterwards. The first lap always hurst and the first sprint I look like an old man. It takes about three sprints before my body gets in the groove. I walk 1/4 mile, then jog1/4 mile, then 6 100 meter sprints, then jog 1/4 mile, then walk 1/4 mile as a cool down. So far, I went from 202 to 197 lbs. My target is 180, maybe less, depending how I feel.
Oh yeah, and how I look in my speedos.:eek:

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-10-2008, 09:39 AM
i wish i had a 6'3 350lb puerto rican. i would squat him at parties to impress all my friends. course id probably need to stand on a sturdy stool or id just be kinda rubbin on him between his legs.

your legs will accomodate to the squats in no time man. the most important thing is to keep up on them. as long as i dont miss a leg workout i rarely get doms. a little stiffness maybe, but nothing major. course there's always dem days ... and dem days suxors.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-10-2008, 09:41 AM
also got 200 on bench for 8,8,7 last night.

i think i could have gotten the last rep out, but my only spot was adora and as tough as she is, she doesnt weigh quite as much as one plate. im still gonna go up to 205 next week though.

Oso
07-10-2008, 03:07 PM
actually suzi got it for me not this fathers day or the last, but two fathers days ago. just never got around to riding it.

its a mongoose ... straight mountain bike i guess, but i honestly dont know much about them. i thought it was way too big for me, its 26'' and im 5'4'', but after i got used to it i think i like it better for longer trips.

uh...you mean it's got 26" wheels, right?

bikes are usually measured as like 13, 15, 17 or 19" but some companies use 14, 16 & 18 ...and there are some .5's out there. This measurement is taken at the front verticle tube of the frame.

so, if you didn't get measured for it then it is possible too big for you. it all depends on your inseam vs. actual height. I ride a 17 at 5'11" but my ex rode a 19 at 5'9" cuz her legs were longer. you can adjust the seat of course but then that throws the upper body geometry out.

like all toys, the temptation to buy more than you need is there...I was able to realize when I bought my third bike that I didn't need a 1000 dollar bike because I don't ride often enough to justify it.

if you start riding enough to want another bike, or break this one ;), just hollar and I can help point you in the right direction.

TenTigers
07-10-2008, 05:35 PM
hey, Oso,
what kind of bike is recommended for a triathalon? Nothing expensive, and if a Toys'R Us bike would suffice it would be cool. Can't aford a cannondale.

Oso
07-10-2008, 06:07 PM
a full Tri or one of the 'Tri-Lite's

imo, you still want a road bike...the gearing on a mountain is not designed for high speed on a road.

however, if you are doing one of the recreational tri's then anything will do...just attempting a tri is awesome in my book.

also, imo, find a bike store you trust and get cozy with them. it can lead to good hook ups down the road...

there are also what used to be called cross or hybrid's that are between the mountain and road types and can be used for all sorts of recreational riding

I started out on a Trek 820...called the Antelope back in 91. Rode the dog**** out of it...broke it to the point that I had to send it back to Treck to fix. I paid 600 for it then and now you can get an 820 for around 300 and it's now more than twice the bike of the 91. Don't let a bike salesman tell you it's just and 'entry' bike or not able to do anything serious. No, you're probably not going to ride Moab or some of the big stuff in WV or down here but it's a great bike to start out on. I probably still don't have the mileage on my two other bikes that I put on that 820.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-24-2008, 08:11 PM
wasnt gonna start another pr thread, but i wanted to say i finally got 250 on bench. then i did 260 right afterwards.

the coolest part was i hadnt lifted in over a week due to vacation, i hadn't slept much as we broke down on our way home the night before, i was mildly hung over, i just had sex twice before leaving the house (i was finally right about an argument for once), and i hadn't eaten anything in right around 16 - 20 hours.

this may make me sound dumb, and i am, but i hadn't planned on lifting at all last night. i was going to give my self one full day of recovery from traveling, but my buddy called me up to train and i decided to go. i was gonna do 205 for 3x8, but everything felt really really light so i said screw it and maxed. i also got 205 for 8, 6, 4 right after maxing which was cool.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-26-2008, 01:03 PM
squat pr ... 360 belt only .... not quite as low as i normally like, but below parallel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHG5y3dR9JU

Oso
07-28-2008, 06:24 PM
cool

now that you can bench 250...aw, nevermind...you know where I was going ;)

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-29-2008, 05:20 PM
dude my momz is only about 90lbs. teh crack will do that to ya.

you should check out all the beers i've had recently on the food and beer thread man. i got a few more to add to the list, but im off to a good start.

my buddy got a bottle of trappist westvleteren 12 that hes going to be kind enough to share with me.

Oso
07-31-2008, 11:45 AM
naw, i was talking about my momz, and she's dead and buried 2 years now...

I've found I don't care for belgian's as much as I thought...something about the yeast strains....

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-16-2008, 07:32 AM
hit 265 for 3x8 on squat last night. i think thats my limit for now. it was getting ugly towards the end. i burried every rep, but my back was starting to round.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-23-2008, 09:34 AM
270 for 3x6 on squat last night (put on belt for last set). followed immediately by front squat 140 for 3x10. i know its not a lot of weight on the front squat, but it was still hard after the back squatting.