PDA

View Full Version : NYC Tradititional Chinese Martial Arts Tournament

TenTigers
07-08-2008, 02:02 PM
A few days back, these two guys came into my school to tell about this special tournament for Traditional Chinese MArtial Arts. It was to be held in NYC sometime in September, no fighting, just forms, weapons, and tai-chi. Cash prizes. Cool, I thought, although I wasn't keen on not fighting. The entry fee was quite steep.100 dollars at the door. The judges were all hand-picked, yet none of them were4 any names I recognized. Funny, a tournament in NYC and none of the local Sifus were judges?
Then I find out the kicker-the tournament is run by Falun Gong.
First they go after the nieve kids in colleges, then the old hippies, now they are targeting TCMA!!!!!!
I don't know about how you guys feel, but I will not support this organization.
I also don't support the Unification Church (Rev Moon) Branch Davidians, Hare Krishnas,Dianetics/Scientology,Si Baba,Guru Maharaj-ji, Jews for Jesus, Messianic Jews,Children of God....

your choice.

WinterPalm
07-08-2008, 03:23 PM
I don't support any religious organization. Period...they're all cults if you ask me.

golden arhat
07-08-2008, 03:51 PM
never cared for falun gong personally, although my first experience with chi was doing one of their excersies i saw on the internet.

cjurakpt
07-08-2008, 07:00 PM
First they go after the nieve kids in colleges, then the old hippies, now they are targeting TCMA!!!!!!

probably they read this forum and realized the predisposition towards cult thinking by certain members...

anyway, I think we should crash it!

TenTigers
07-08-2008, 07:47 PM
ahhhhh....now yer talkin!

Ray Pina
07-08-2008, 08:33 PM
I think CMA and TMA in general would improve if competitions were not judged on training methods (forms/push hands) but on the end result. What's more, it should be full contact.

Leave the training methods for the training hall and bring players who are ready to play. This would dramatically speed up these tournaments and improve the quality. It would also motivate students to train harder. If you want to compete, you'd have to become competitive.... not dumb it down because Johnny doesn't like to get punched in his nose.

TenTigers
07-08-2008, 10:25 PM
that's not the point, Ray. This tournament is run by Falun Gong. They don't want fighting, they are soliciting for new members. All the judges are their own people.
It is a recruiting platform for their ogranization. They WANT forms fairies, not fighters. They WANT people who buy into the whole David Carradine peace love and qigong fantasy.
this, is a sinister plot.
Chris is right. We should crash it.

NJM
07-08-2008, 11:17 PM
the tournament is run by Falun Gong.

Check out that RED FLAG.

Falun Gong = run away!

Ray Pina
07-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Yea, the whole Falun Gong thing goes without saying. They're not even a thought in my mind.

What I'm concerned about are the 16 to I'm-embarrassed-to-say-how-olds who walk around the tournament floor dressed like a monk sporting all kinds of fake representations of battle-field weapons. What's their real prowess in armed and/or unarmed combat? What's their standard? Could they hang with a two year Thai boxer, boxer or MMAist.

This is not about comparing styles. This is about self honesty. Are you training to be a warrior or not? And that includes body, mind and soul.

The difference between the men backstage at real fights and the air of these wannabe Shaw Brother punks is night and day. I would be embarrassed for them but they don't know any better... which is says a lot about the sad state of affairs of what passes as a martial art schools and instructors today.

Thank God for mixed martial arts! Thank God for the current revolution which is blowing up. A whole new generation of amazing martial artists are being formed.

Shaolinlueb
09-22-2008, 09:06 AM
New tang dynasty one?

its on sat and finals on sunday.
http://martialarts.ntdtv.com/en/

i will most likely be there sunday to watch.

TenTigers
09-22-2008, 09:19 AM
nope.
I better things to do with my time and money than contribute to Falun Gong.

lkfmdc
09-22-2008, 09:37 AM
those morons called us and wanted us to "contribute" :rolleyes:

Shaolinlueb
09-22-2008, 10:33 AM
oh its falun gong? nevermind then. my bad

TenTigers
09-27-2008, 08:34 PM
This is great. These guys called me twice in one day asking me to participate!
A former student, who now does Wu-Dang came up for it. He came back with some interesting info;
It seems that, one-the place was about 80 percent empty,

two-there were alot of competitors from Taiwan in each division.

Now, I ask you-don't you find it the least bit funny that a large group from Taiwan came all the way over here to participate in a relatively unknown event in NYC?

NYC-mecca of Gung-Fu-particularly Southern Gung-Fu.

And no NY Sifus were asked to officiate.

Oh sure, they took us out to dinner and wined and dined us so we would bring our $tudent$,
but I find it funny that the only NY official was a former wu-shu competitor who said he knew the Lau Ga form.
They also mentioned that Choy Li Fut was NORTHERN!!!

I would be interested in hearing the reviews from anyone who went to this event, and their experiences.

TenTigers
09-28-2008, 08:22 PM
c'mon, it's Sunday night already. Anyone have any news on the recruitment,er tournament?

Eddie
09-28-2008, 09:04 PM
the linked site is completely blocked by my china firewall tingy..... so guess they know about it being part of the fal...erm ... that other cult group :rolleyes: