PDA

View Full Version : Combat Shuai Chiao

sanjuro_ronin
07-09-2008, 10:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM5orlabCFE

Enjoy

" Video footage shot in Tawain from 1990-2008. Instructional demonstrations done by Grandmaster Gene Chicoine and his students from the Ho Chun School of Chinese Martial Arts in Akron Ohio. Footage was shot in various places including Political Warfare College in Taipei, Taipei Police University, Tainan, Kaishung and Ping Tung. Person Demonstrating in this video is Shawn Slonsky."

sanjuro_ronin
07-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Its very rare to see any demos of the Ho Chun, one wonders why because its quite a very good demo.

MightyB
07-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Man I think SC is cool. Love the strikes flowing right into the throws- just seems ideal to me. Good clip!

sanjuro_ronin
07-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Man I think SC is cool. Love the strikes flowing right into the throws- just seems ideal to me. Good clip!

It si a demo, still, one of the better SC ones, at lest it shows the more of the system than just the throws.

lkfmdc
07-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Good Shuai Jiao (which sadly is increasingly hard to find and was never that common!) is what TCMA is supposed to be, ie striking and grappling together and practiced with resistance.....

sanjuro_ronin
07-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Good Shuai Jiao (which sadly is increasingly hard to find and was never that common!) is what TCMA is supposed to be, ie striking and grappling together and practiced with resistance.....

Indeed, one wonders what the future will hold for SC....

lkfmdc
07-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Indeed, one wonders what the future will hold for SC....

With people like the REAL David Lin, there will always be some small group doing Shuai Jiao and developing it (they train like MMA people and cross train! Don't tell the trolls) :p

IronWeasel
07-09-2008, 03:01 PM

Enjoy

" Video footage shot in Tawain from 1990-2008. Instructional demonstrations done by Grandmaster Gene Chicoine and his students from the Ho Chun School of Chinese Martial Arts in Akron Ohio. Footage was shot in various places including Political Warfare College in Taipei, Taipei Police University, Tainan, Kaishung and Ping Tung. Person Demonstrating in this video is Shawn Slonsky."

That was pretty good!

Satori Science
07-09-2008, 04:52 PM
a cool reversal on a throw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH0nZGnl5zQ&feature=related

Akronviper
07-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Very nice and just the tip of the iceberg.

Oso
07-09-2008, 06:50 PM
I think Shawn was the coach at the Great Lakes tourney in April...two of his guys and two of my guys competed against each other. good fighters.

monji112000
07-09-2008, 07:32 PM

Enjoy

ok stupid question..
so whats the big difference between Judo and Shuai Chiao?
does SC have any ground work like pins or anything?
I'm sure the grips are different.. but what about the actual throws..

Akronviper
07-09-2008, 07:49 PM
I think Shawn was the coach at the Great Lakes tourney in April...two of his guys and two of my guys competed against each other. good fighters.

I belive you are correct:)

Mulong
07-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Clean and solid; kudos!

Oso
07-10-2008, 04:19 AM
I belive you are correct:)

lol, good...been wrong a lot lately :)

sanjuro_ronin
07-10-2008, 04:21 AM
With people like the REAL David Lin, there will always be some small group doing Shuai Jiao and developing it (they train like MMA people and cross train! Don't tell the trolls) :p

Yeah, been looking for one in my area....

SimonM
07-10-2008, 07:13 AM
Nice video. A few throws there I'll have to try out. That song has been such a boon to home-made martial arts videos on youtube. :p

sanjuro_ronin
07-10-2008, 07:15 AM
ok stupid question..

Not at all a stupid question.
From what I have seen and been told, yes SC has ground fighting AND ground grappling (submissions), though not as highly specialized as BJJ or MMA.
Besides the strikes, the differences in terms of Judo are the breakfalls, some minor fulcrum points due to the different clothing and more trips rather than throws.
The basic throws and the same.
Some have called SC a "poor man's judo", I find that rather harsh and uncalled for.
Judo is a highly specilaised sport combat art and SC is, or is suppose to be, a well rounded combat system.

shuaichiao
07-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Sweet video, wish they would post more stuff.

wiz cool c
07-10-2008, 10:15 AM
ok stupid question..

I don't know anything about combat Shuai Jiao. But it looks real cool. Beijing style Shuai Jiao. Differeces. Different jacket. Different grip work. Many of the throws are the same or similar. There are also some throws in Shuai jiao that aren't in Judo. The the off banlancing [Kizushi] don't know how to spell it is quite different. Shuai Jiao has no ground work it's all throws and grip work and pulling pushing.

Shuai Jiao Beijing style has solo rutines for each throw. Also many traditional strenth training methods. So you can practice when there are no training partners.