PDA

View Full Version : Hellboy II

GeneChing
07-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Check out our latest e-zine update:
HELLBOY II vs. Jet Li? (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=776)
by Dr. Craig Reid

Can you pass the Kung Fu Films 101 examinations? Craig throws down a challenge at the end of this article. Any of you got the answer? Post your guesses here.

jethro
07-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Maybe Militant Eagle? Can I ask if it is a newer or a older movie?

doug maverick
07-12-2008, 01:24 PM
i've been a big fan of del toro's going back to when he did dr.dre and eminem video's. pan's took it to the next level in terms of visuals and story. so i hope this one is great. the stunt choreographer is the short white guy who fought jackie in gorgeous. which was arguably jackie's last great on screen fight.

mawali
07-12-2008, 02:24 PM
It sounds like the Incredible Flying Guillotine!

冠木侍
07-12-2008, 06:29 PM
I liked the article. Haven't seen this one yet but glad to hear Brad Allen is doing choreography.

I wasn't feeling the first movie but the only cool thing was Karl Ruprecht Kroenen and his skills with the Tonfa. Good stuff.

That is a difficult question Dr. Reed has posed...I have something in mind but then again it is probably not correct.

Mulong
07-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Highly recommend Hell Boy II; Luke Goss' (Prince Nuada) doubles did a great job. :p

冠木侍
07-13-2008, 04:05 PM
We appreciate the good reviews and I am looking forward to this movie.

Just one thing. There is already a thread in the Media section. We can continue ur discussion there.

Oso
07-14-2008, 07:59 PM
We appreciate the good reviews and I am looking forward to this movie.

Just one thing. There is already a thread in the Media section. We can continue ur discussion there.

uh oh...I see the next KFM moderator now...when I retire I'll nominate you :)

WinterPalm
07-15-2008, 07:32 AM
The first one stank and this one looks worse.

I'm waiting for Batman.

Becca
07-15-2008, 08:12 AM
The first one stank and this one looks worse.

I'm waiting for Batman.I see you are not a Ron Perlman fan. No way you could say that about Hellboy if you were..... Some peole just have no taste.:rolleyes:;)

GeneChing
07-15-2008, 10:36 AM
...that way, there's a link on the main forum to this one. :cool:

David Jamieson
07-15-2008, 03:11 PM
I like that the dude from Pan's Labyrinth is throwing his hat into the ring with this. the Hellboy stories I like. they remind me a little of Spawn, but with more humour.

Despite the decidedly catholic mythology they are bloated with, they are visually appealing and the stories themselves are well paced and written.

Batman will also be good!

Looks like this summers crop of offerings from hollyweird is good so far.

doug maverick
07-15-2008, 06:05 PM
well del toro directed the first hellboy film as well as blade 2. blade 2 was great hellboy one was eh.

SimonM
07-16-2008, 06:35 AM
See my opinion is opposite, I thought that Hellboy 1 was great and thought Blade 2 was a bit meh.

As for Hellboy 2, having seen it last night, I have to say that the plot was entertaining, the characters were interesting, the coreography was good and the costuming and design was pure, undiluted genious.

Becca
07-16-2008, 06:51 AM
I've got a tendancy to enjoy the plots that are based, or even heavily bloated, with mythology from an actual source, as mythology is another of my hobbies. Nothing thrills me more than watching a vampire flick and trying to sort out which bit comes from what culture and how the director and playwrite wove them together. Hell boy digs pretty deep into obscure catholic mythology and the leading roll is played by my favorite off-beat actor so you know I'm going to love it.

SimonM
07-16-2008, 07:38 AM
I love how Hellboy has a tendency to take people at their word when they say they'll never talk... and how he handles it.

冠木侍
07-16-2008, 07:22 PM
uh oh...I see the next KFM moderator now...when I retire I'll nominate you :)

Sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to please stay on topic. We are having a discussion regarding the recent release of Hellboy 2....haha

You know, I was just being polite to Mulong...cuz that is just the kind of person that I am trying to show people. I figure if i didn't say it, someone else would have worded it a little differently (i still remember).

But I doubt you'll be retiring any time soon Oso...what a time to be facetious. :p
Glad to know someone's got my back though.

Back to Hellboy 2...I read up on the making all the choreography that is incorporated into it and I am excited to see it. First I did not like at all. Just the guy with the tonfas, thatz it. But this second one, from the previews, looks pretty darn good. Now if i had some money....

Oso
07-16-2008, 07:36 PM
well, my retirement may be sooner than later

touche`

I wasn't being facetious

of course I have your back...it may be silly or even immature but this is a physical society we have here...if someone cannot even pass a simple verbal/textual (thus digitally simulating the physical) hazing then they can not pass their genes on to the next generation and they should run and hide in the corner till they die. you did pass the hazing and pointed out the silliiness of it all so most likely everyone here does have your back.

looking forward to HBII, I have several youngish guys in my group that are into all things comicish and animeish and they give it two thumbs up and a margarita toast!

冠木侍
07-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Although the hazing was, in my opinion, a bit unnecessary I think that it was an interesting experience. After you reach a certain age, you try not to let certain things bother you like they did when you were younger.

Still, let's hope retirement is not too soon in the horizon. There needs to be more serious people to take care of business. No doubt there are many people here who are good at what they do and are probably more well suited to fill that hypothetical position (hypothetical because I know you're not going anywhere :o ).

But who knows. Accepted or not, got my back at least one person I know of here; no real animosity toward anyone or toward me...nothing significant anyhow. Business, life...things change at the drop of the hat. Tradition has its roots but evolution is what allows us to survive.

Hellboy II

I seem to be trying to play catch up with some of the older titles. Hellboy II is on the list and then the Dark Knight just came out but these have to be put on the bottom for now. I'm gonna have to put in some serious OT next week.

Becca
01-31-2009, 08:17 PM
Stumbled on an old post notification for this thread and had to re-read it. And now, after owning the DVD of Hell Boy 2 for several months, I have to say that it is still one of my favorites from last summer. I had no idea who Luke Gross was before this film, but I definitely like his work.

Did anyone else see the director's monolog of the deleted scenes? LOL @ Del Torro! "There was this 10 minute scene of Nuada training, but it looked too much to me like a man and his stick." I wonder if he realized he summed up so much about modern martial arts weapons training in those words?:D