PDA

View Full Version : Tang Lang Jian

Sifu Darkfist
07-15-2008, 12:28 PM
My Gung Fu Brother (also a disciple of GM Tony Yang)
Master Andy Lianto performing Double handed
Tang Lang Jian

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DYZFNt1Rgzw

Three Harmonies
07-17-2008, 06:18 AM
I think it is a bit premature to being calling Andy a "master."

mkriii
07-17-2008, 08:04 AM
I think it is a bit premature to being calling Andy a "master."

Yes, I agree with that statement as well. Very premature.

sanjuro_ronin
07-17-2008, 08:15 AM
I remember when no one under 35 would even be considered for the title Master, regardless of how much time in.
Sifu is a title that is more than enough in my view.

mkriii
07-17-2008, 08:22 AM
I remember when no one under 35 would even be considered for the title Master, regardless of how much time in.
Sifu is a title that is more than enough in my view.

It makes me mad to see these young kids that are 17 or 18 yrs old and claim to be some hight rank belt such as 8th degree black belt. Its just gotten to ridiculous. By age 25 they're a master.

Three Harmonies
07-17-2008, 02:49 PM
98% of the people in the US mis-use Sifu / Shrfu as well. That is a term reserved for those who have been formally (or informally) "adopted" into a family/lineage. Laoshi is the proper term for "teacher" in regards to Chinese language.

Andy is good, but not that good. Wutan is guilty of relying on titles more than skill in many instances!
Nice video though. I assume that is Sun De Yao's set?
Thanks
Jake

Sifu Darkfist
07-18-2008, 07:33 AM
I am not sure of his age. I will tell you he is "adopted" into the lineage and has met all the qualifications to be considered next generation.

THe set is not GM Sun's it is out of our lineage, from Gm su and Gm Liu.

As far a wide disparaging remarks about Wutang, i am not sure what you mean but good solid example would mean much more.

I can tell you that i do not bestow titles on anyone in my school before they earn it.

Most of my students however are fighters, police, bouncers, etc and dont give a f- about title or rank lol.

I am getting too old to debate the ability of my brothers and i never talk about them. They all have their own path.

But i can assure you very little time is spent on "looking" the part in my school

I myself have little use for weapons that do not send lead projectiles at between 800 and 1200 feet per second, or small close range blades for secondary protection inside knife range (except excersize and muscle building like the Giant spear)so i do not judge weapons players.

I am only posting for your enjoyment,

James

Three Harmonies
07-18-2008, 08:11 AM
James,
Andy is a few years younger than me (in his late 20's).
To "earn" a "master" title seems a bit premature for him, me, you, and frankly most everyone I have seen that is not in his 60's. Hu Xi Lin is over 60 and he is not comfortable being referred to as "master."
Jake

Three Harmonies
07-18-2008, 08:13 AM
James,
You mention the form is from Liu, yet he did not teach Mantis!? It certainly is not a Liuhe set that I know of, and there is great debate over whether or not he taught any Liuhe to anyone!
Interesting.
Jake

Sifu Darkfist
07-18-2008, 08:21 AM
Point well taken the comfort of being called master does not exist for senior teachers. there should not be any requirment it should come from the heart.

I was taught that you do not become "master" until you have traditionally accepted disciples that are dedicated to you as their adopted father teacher.

In that case you would be right he has no disciples and perhaps Laoshi is correct.

I do know that age has nothing to do with title however historically.
for example what is the age for Grandmaster? I am again taught that the Master Becomes GrandMaster when his disciple takes on formal disciples through traditional Baisu ceremony. So the day i Took on my Disciples my Master Became an official Grandmaster. The age or rank had nothing to do with it. although it never happens that real CMA masters become grandfather teacher without age.

So I guess you have made you point solidly and i understand your meaning.

BTW i want you as a judge/ Masters demonstration for my tourney contact me at jmr51@uakron.edu if you get the chance ill get you a private phone number
james

Sifu Darkfist
07-18-2008, 08:46 AM
James,
You mention the form is from Liu, yet he did not teach Mantis!? It certainly is not a Liuhe set that I know of, and there is great debate over whether or not he taught any Liuhe to anyone!
Interesting.
Jake

On this i can only say I know the form is from GM Yang and his lineage and not GM Sun (i have Sun's set He taught me personally when he first came over). The Jian I posted (as i am told) is a combination of miao dao techniques and Jian in order to help the high level solider progress quickly with combat capabilities on a big heavy double handed Jian.

It is true Gm Liu reffered his own Disciples to his Six Harmony Master for training rather than do it himself out of profound respect for His teacher. But make no mistake they learned it and learned it directly, esp. GM Su

But honestly, it is no secret among my colleagues that i do not spend any time on weapons or their history with the exception of Staff, six harmony spear, Da Chung, and deer horn knives. and these i train by myself each for a functional reason.

Staff as a young boy in shaolin and later to practice for spear. Spear and great spear for bulding Fajing. And deer horn because of there effectiveness at close rang inside the gun door. deer horn knives were carried concealed by the personal bodyguards of the Emperor as well as his personal assassins. Daggers can be used in much the same patterns of attack.

Remember the real deer horn Knives are not the big clumsy things on the internet or used by the public. I have seen a real set and they are very suprising and without question one of the scariest non-projectile non exploding arm i have ever seen.

Interesting chat
James

Three Harmonies
07-18-2008, 10:13 AM
James,
Interesting points. I have heard so many different things about Liu and his Six Harmonies it is not even funny. Technically we all share the same lineage, but every Liuhe set and technique I have seen from Wutan is DRASTICALLY different then what I have learned (or perhaps mine is DRASTICALLY different than Wutans;)) No worries either way.
I do see the Miao Dao type movements with the jian form Andy is performing, but I am not sure they would work well with a Shuang Shou Jian, as the blade is straighter than the Miao Dao's. But again echoing your comment, I am no weapon expert.

I would love to come to Vegas bro, and I surely appreciate the invite, but the cash flow is so tight, and with travel so frickin' expensive, I cannot afford to make it. Good luck with the tourney though.
Cheers
Jake :cool:

Sifu Darkfist
07-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Actually i am hosting the old october tourney in OHIO and changing the format a bit. When my master decided to go to Vegas with his He gave me the old one to do with as i please So i have made it bigger and better opening the gates to all traditionalists of all asiatic martial arts styles. Nevertheless, it is still separate divisions.

The venue is in a pristine suburb and makes for the perfect comfort zone for night life and no crime etc.

info is at www.internationalwarrior.com
site is still in early stages

I know its even further, and i know times are tough, but the offer stands all the way up to the morning of the demo and if things change, and you need lodging let me know.

formal invites and info is on the press right now to be mailed soon

I have made some real great friends internationally that are going to keep this tourney very interesting. The demos will include the real stuff from China, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Okinawa as well as all you American Experts.

ironfenix
07-19-2008, 06:22 AM
the form looks to me like Yu Cheng Hui's with changes.

Three Harmonies
07-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Jimmy
Well thank again, and kudos to you bro! Unfortunately (well, not really;)) I will be in South Carolina training with all five of the Machado brothers that weekend, getting my ass kicked in BJJ!
Good luck though bro! You may want to get word out as we are only a few months out from October!!
Cheers
Jake :cool: