PDA

View Full Version : Carl Totton's "Lohan Chuan"

kal
07-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi,
Does anyone know about this style called Lohan Chuan taught by master Carl Totton?

http://www.taoistinstitute.com/classschedule.html

I am interested in this quote:

CHINESE KUNG FU & CHUAN FA: THE CORE SYSTEM™ & QIGONG

Kung fu is an ancient Chinese martial & health art for mind-body integration, internal and external strength, self-confidence, and high level martial skill. Class features the Southern Shaolin and Taoist 5 Animals kung fu hand & weapon forms, & chi kung. Includes the Core System™ and Automatic Dim Muk™ self defense techniques based on the Monk Fist style or Lohan Chuan Fa, the secret art only taught to the elite monks who guarded the Shaolin Temple gates.

Is this the same Lohan Chuan that is mentioned in the Bubishi and is credited as being one of the ancestors of Okinawan Karate?

CLFLPstudent
07-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Automatic Dim Muk?

I thought that was only legal for law enforcement and military. I thought we civilians had to use Semi-Automatic.

Oh Jeeze, they also offer this:

Professional Remote Viewing (PRV)
Instruction and personal monitoring is offered to beginning and experienced remote viewers interested in expanding their innate abilities to transcend time and space and learn to perceive beyond the usual temporal boundaries. Call for an appointment.

Some of the methods Dr. Totton has researched and experienced include the following methodologies:

Qigong: the traditional Chinese art and science of internal energy cultivation for health improvement, inner balance, and meditation.

Reiki: the traditional Japanese system for promoting physical, mental, and spiritual well being originally discovered by Mikao Usui in Japan in the early 1900’s. Uses spiritual energy to promote natural healing.

Ho’oponopono: the traditional and updated Hawaiian method for restoring balance through Divine correction. Updated by Kahuna Mornnnah Simeona and taught by Ihaleakala Hew Len, Ph.D.

Flower of Life, Earth-Sky-Heart: a contemporary synthesis of ancient mystery school information and meditative practices as originally formulated by Drunvalo Melchizedek. Includes traditional material from the South American Kogi elders, as well as the sacred geometry and ascension meditation known as the Merkaba.

Monroe Institute Hemi-Sync Technology: discovered by the noted American consciousness researcher Robert Monroe as taught at the world famous Monroe Institute in Virginia.

Remote Viewing: the science of extending consciousness across the boundaries of space and time originally researched at SRI International by physicists Harold Puthoff and Russell Targ with noted psychic Ingo Swann.

Nambudripad’s Allergy Elimination Technique (NAET): a unique method for relieving the effects of allergies on physical and emotional functioning discovered by Dr. Devi Nambudripad.

Thought Field Therapy (TFT): a type of emotional acupressure discovered by Dr. Roger Callahan, an American clinical psychologist.

And he learned from ( among others) Ed Dames.

This looks to be a place to stay away from

-David

D-FENS
07-17-2008, 06:34 PM
kal,

long story short, I was a student of Sifu Carl back in the day, and the "Lohan Chuan" he is most likely referring to is Ark Wong's Shaolin 5 Family style. He also teaches Ta Mo's 18 Hands of the Lohan, a rudimentary Shaolin Chi Gung set at the beginning of the class, which could also have something to do with it.

I'm in kind of a hurry now, but I'll post more later if I'm in the mood.;)

D-FENS
07-17-2008, 06:36 PM
And he learned from ( among others) Ed Dames.

This looks to be a place to stay away from

-David

True, Sifu Totton is into a lot of mystical and alternative healing/meditative stuff, but that in no way diminishes the quality of the instruction. He has, after all, been training and teaching for over 50 years and is known in SoCal CMA circles as the "keeper of the flame."

FWIW, of course.

CLFLPstudent
07-17-2008, 07:04 PM
True, Sifu Totton is into a lot of mystical and alternative healing/meditative stuff, but that in no way diminishes the quality of the instruction. He has, after all, been training and teaching for over 50 years and is known in SoCal CMA circles as the "keeper of the flame."

FWIW, of course.

True enough - I don't know of his MA status, it's very possible he is a great MA teacher. But terms like "Automatic Dim Muk" aren't usually tied to credible MA teachers (trademarked, no less). And the RV affiliation/hocking is a big red flag in my opinion.

-David

mawali
07-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Is this the same Lohan Chuan that is mentioned in the Bubishi and is credited as being one of the ancestors of Okinawan Karate?

There are quite a few Lohanquan (Lohan Chuan) forms out there and one can only tell by the instructors' name and who he learnt it from.
Other than that, I am sure that the multitude will say that theirs is the original.

My teacher from Guandong, named Huang Yucheng taught a Lohanquan form and it is very different in frame and choreography from the many I have seen!

SimonM
07-18-2008, 06:43 AM
I'd be more interested to see "master" Lindsay Lohan's Totton Quan . :p

Mr.Cholo
03-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Must not be that great of a fighting system. The Shaolin Temple was burned down...twice. :o

lkfmdc
03-05-2009, 02:09 PM
It's 2009

it's about time people learn that "Lo Han" is not "monk" :rolleyes:

and in Mandarin the system is generally referred to as "Lo Han MEN"

and southern systems don't use Mandarin! :mad:

Lokhopkuen
03-06-2009, 11:19 PM

FWIW, of course.

Sifu Totten is a sincere teacher based in Burbank for the last 20 years at the same location.

He is a nice man and a skilled martial artist.

bakxierboxer
03-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Sifu Totten is a sincere teacher based in Burbank for the last 20 years at the same location.

He is a nice man and a skilled martial artist.

I can agree with what you've said.......
I happen to know him, too, and we've had several of the same teachers.... although I seem to remember that he added a whole bunch more after I got settled on my final SiFu.... on "that other Coast" (at the time).
We were "almost contemporaries" in the early days of TMA in SoCal.
In my first in-depth voyage into TMA, I trained in Kajukenbo with John Leoning, while Carl trained with my Senior Carlos Bunda.
Other than that, we both trained with Wong Ark Yuey, and Share K. Lew at one time or another.
Carl does have some affinity for the "softer aspects" of "personal development" which can include chi gung, etc. He also happens to be a licensed Hypnotherapist.
For biggish guy, he can move pretty darned fast.

When I first returned to SoCal, there was a time when I was considering opening a school, and mentioned it to Carl.....
He "flipped": "You're going to open a school in MY town!?"
Me: "Shouldn't be a problem, since what we teach isn't even remotely similar...."
He did a double-take and decided he agreed with that.
Essentially, that was just my way of saying that what I do and teach is "different" in any number of ways and wouldn't attract the same type of students.