PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu's place

Flying-Monkey
07-19-2008, 05:53 AM
I'm sorry to have to say this but kung fu needs to put its self back into its place. Because of people like Bruce Lee and David Carradine kung fu has become popular. Unfortunately, the magic and mysticism have ruin it. The truth is that most kung fu teachers are historians. All they know and can do are forms.

Kung fu has always been on shaky ground. It has never really proved itself. You only hear about its greatness from courageous generals to shaolin monks. But if you know a little about Chinese culture (and most others cultures) These stories are were pumped up. And if you look at history, ancient China has never won a major war from outside invaders. Even the monks got their butts kick on many occasions
Plus, all of the old time fight videos and demos that I have seen were weak.

This doesn't mean kung fu is useless. It means that kung fu has to straighten up and get off its high horse. Clowns and Jokes need to be weeded out. Theories need to be tested in a ring. Not a MMA ring. Kung fu needs to get its act together before it takes on other styles.

WinterPalm
07-19-2008, 09:02 AM
I agree. Enough nonsense.
However, there are still a lot of kung fu people that are monsters and would rather not fight in a ring. Don't discount that.

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Go to China and step into a San Shou ring. We will let them know about your thread ahead of time.

Flying-Monkey
07-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Go to China and step into a San Shou ring. We will let them know about your thread ahead of time.

what are you trying to say?

lkfmdc
07-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Just ignore RD, everyone else does :D

Funny, but when you first came to this board, you were upset that people said similar things, but I think now you see what that is about.... nothign wrong with TCMA TECHNIQUE, just with attitudes and poor training

unkokusai
07-19-2008, 05:07 PM
Go to China and step into a San Shou ring.

Have you?

Flying-Monkey
07-19-2008, 05:07 PM
Just ignore RD, everyone else does :D

Funny, but when you first came to this board, you were upset that people said similar things, but I think now you see what that is about.... nothign wrong with TCMA TECHNIQUE, just with attitudes and poor training

Yeah. I guess I was giving too many guys credit without looking deep into their claims. Don't get me wrong. Kung fu has many good aspects but they are covered by all the bullsh!it.

SPJ
07-19-2008, 08:23 PM
http://martialarts.ntdtv.com/en/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptFKXnFW8Ko

http://martialarts.ntdtv.com/en/regulation_en

this sounds a good place to go.

for people that are interested that is.

:D

SPJ
07-19-2008, 08:26 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptFKXnFW8Ko

http://martialarts.ntdtv.com/en/regulation_en

this sounds a good place to go.

for people that are interested that is.

oops. my brother just told me that only overseas chinese may attend.

sorry.

:(:eek:

SPJ
07-19-2008, 08:29 PM
back to regular program

about Kung fu needs places to go.

--

SPJ
07-20-2008, 02:24 AM
so a young dude came to us and asked the question

with so many formats/venues and what to do

wushu, san shou, kuo shu/lei tai, MMA--

brother A said go to kuo shu/lei tai.

brother B said go to san shou.

and I actually said go to MMA.

http://www.youtube.com/user/artofwarfc

even thou each of us supported one format/platform/lei tai over another.

there is no reason why not wushu forms player not entering mma or san shou.

there is also no reason why not a free fighter/san shou player not entering forms/wushu comp.

--

so the question is

or the answer is

it is all up to you.

:D;)

Flying-Monkey
07-20-2008, 03:07 AM
Of course, like always, jokes are made and issue is dodged.

No_Know
07-20-2008, 03:57 AM
"Kung fu has always been on shaky ground. It has never really proved itself. You only hear about its greatness from courageous generals to shaolin monks. But if you know a little about Chinese culture (and most others cultures) These stories are were pumped up. And if you look at history, ancient China has never won a major war from outside invaders. Even the monks got their butts kick on many occasions "

The young of Understanding want immediacy.

Kung-Fu has been around eons yet you say it has not been effective. The dinosaurs are not around in the same form but Kung-Fu is still here.

Someone had a realization in Chinese History class at the University, "Only the Chinese rule China"--Ernie Moore Jr. I understood it to notice that every dynasty the invader assimilated to the Chinese Culture.

I No_Know

Flying-Monkey
07-20-2008, 04:52 AM
"Kung fu has always been on shaky ground. It has never really proved itself. You only hear about its greatness from courageous generals to shaolin monks. But if you know a little about Chinese culture (and most others cultures) These stories are were pumped up. And if you look at history, ancient China has never won a major war from outside invaders. Even the monks got their butts kick on many occasions "

The young of Understanding want immediacy.

Kung-Fu has been around eons yet you say it has not been effective. The dinosaurs are not around in the same form but Kung-Fu is still here.

Someone had a realization in Chinese History class at the University, "Only the Chinese rule China"--Ernie Moore Jr. I understood it to notice that every dynasty the invader assimilated to the Chinese Culture.

I No_Know

Oh please.

China had a stable society. It wasn't like people were fighting in the streets every day. China in its early days made a lot of advances. The Chinese society was one to look up to. Most of the invaders who beat China incorporated a lot of China's good points. The same thing happen when the Romans beat the Greeks.

Dinosaurs??? I think MMA and BJJ are the comets that are slowly ending the Kungfuasourus.

"The young of Understanding want immediacy"

I am guessing that you were sold on the "kung fu takes 20 years to master" thing. Yeah, it takes 20 years to master when you have no master. I am talking about those teachers who tell you "self-reflect self-reflect", and "find out on your own". These guys have the perfect out. If you are able to defend yourself (probably from your own merits) , the teacher was successful. However, if you can't, it is your fault and you have to look deeper. These teachers in most cases are just hiding the fact that they can't teach. These guys are just history teachers and dancers. They keep good records of what kung fu should look like (only forms). Oh yeah, they are also part-time kick boxing coaches.

I am not saying "reflect" and "finding thing out on your own" aren't good. You need to do these things. BUT a good teacher will show you how to use what you've learned. Most don't because they can't.

David Jamieson
07-20-2008, 05:06 AM
I don't think you know "most" teachers.

there's lots of kf teachers who have adopted mma training regimens and added them into their curriculum. simply to get their guys into those venues.

blanket statements that say "most" of this demograph or that demograph are simply misguided and misinformed.

there are always gonna be guys who say "most karate is crap" and "all kenpo is nonsense" and so on.

this is only indicative of a closed mind and limited experiences.

if you spend 20 years in the same circles, then it stand sto reason your world view will be based on that little circle you've been walking in.

these types of threads are always the same and spiral into nothing because they are notr definitive.

the primary point being: there must be a lot of crappy mma teachers out there because there must be a bajillion guys who practice mma and bjj that absolutely suck at it, are hobbyists and are not "fighting" in professional or amateur venues.

training is training.

Flying-Monkey
07-20-2008, 05:30 AM
I don't think you know "most" teachers.

there's lots of kf teachers who have adopted mma training regimens and added them into their curriculum. simply to get their guys into those venues.

blanket statements that say "most" of this demograph or that demograph are simply misguided and misinformed.

there are always gonna be guys who say "most karate is crap" and "all kenpo is nonsense" and so on.

this is only indicative of a closed mind and limited experiences.

if you spend 20 years in the same circles, then it stand sto reason your world view will be based on that little circle you've been walking in.

these types of threads are always the same and spiral into nothing because they are notr definitive.

the primary point being: there must be a lot of crappy mma teachers out there because there must be a bajillion guys who practice mma and bjj that absolutely suck at it, are hobbyists and are not "fighting" in professional or amateur venues.

training is training.

Ok. ha ha ha! Give me a list of great teachers and examples of their greatness (kung fu, karate, etc).

I am not saying BJJ and MMA is the best but they have opened a lot of eyes about TMA. They showed that a lot of the claims are bull.

Have I met every kung fu master and artist? No, but I don't have to. It is the same reason I dont have to go to mars to see if gravity works there too. I have notice the trends and excuses of TMA. The trends point to bullsh!t. The main culprit is kung fu.

Like I mentioned above, kung fu, itself, is not bad. But it is filled with bull. There are good kung fu guys but they are far in between. "good" TMA doesn't mean unbeatable. It practical or workable. And it must be realistic. Have you notice that CMA has the bulk of the chi/ ki blast master, one touch kill masters and i have the best style masters? Oh but they can't demo this skill. Also there isn't much proof except hearsay.

David Jamieson
07-20-2008, 06:10 AM
Ok. ha ha ha! Give me a list of great teachers and examples of their greatness (kung fu, karate, etc).

I am not saying BJJ and MMA is the best but they have opened a lot of eyes about TMA. They showed that a lot of the claims are bull.

Have I met every kung fu master and artist? No, but I don't have to. It is the same reason I dont have to go to mars to see if gravity works there too. I have notice the trends and excuses of TMA. The trends point to bullsh!t. The main culprit is kung fu.

Like I mentioned above, kung fu, itself, is not bad. But it is filled with bull. There are good kung fu guys but they are far in between. "good" TMA doesn't mean unbeatable. It practical or workable. And it must be realistic. Have you notice that CMA has the bulk of the chi/ ki blast master, one touch kill masters and i have the best style masters? Oh but they can't demo this skill. Also there isn't much proof except hearsay.

famous doesn't equal great talent. surely, you must understand that being stateside and all.

if i start mentioning names and you don't recognize any of them, then how does that help you to understand where I'm coming from.

It is enough to say that blanket staements are at best erroneous, especially when it comes to martial arts.

yes, there are ****ty martial artists out there who are actively teaching what amounts to useless knowledge and what not, but who cares? It is not really important. there are crappy mma teachers out there who have no produced one fighter of any real merit outside of their closed circuit.

bjj and mma haven't opened eyes, so much as they have just upped the acceptance of violence on a different level. They kind of serve as the new reality show for people who are tired of emotional relationship conflicts between average joes locked in a condo or on an island and now instead we get to see a roster of young guys pummeling each other until a bit of blood shows or bruises etc etc etc. And because of the graphic nature of the fighting and the often seen toe to toe exchanges of punches this is somehow interpreted as the for real stuff. Which is true and untrue all in one basket.

mma training doesn't give you any more street readiness than any given kungfu style or karate or tkd or any of it.
To argue that it does is folly.

a gun in hand frankly overrides and supercedes any skill in any martial art other than marksmanship.

so to prop up one hand to hand system over another is a waste of time as well as each are useless compared to the technology that is available for real fighting when the time comes for soe nasty deeds.

no one takes boxing gloves to a knife fight and no one takes a knife to a gun fight and no one takes antiquted guns to a bomb target, etc etc.

it's all relative.

you wanna be a real warrior? Join the army, navy, airforce, or marines and then, and only then can you make claims that you are an active warrior.

the rest is just training.

Flying-Monkey
07-20-2008, 06:23 AM
I didn't say famous, but great. Let my see your list.

cam
07-20-2008, 06:43 AM
Hi Flyingmonkey, perhaps you could provide a list of all the "poor" kung fu teachers that you have seen.

Eddie
07-20-2008, 07:14 AM
I agree with flying monkey in many ways.

I have seen some well respected kung fu masters that are probably able to hold themselves okish against a skilled opponent, then I have seen some masters who probably wont be able to fight their way out of anything, and then I have also met and seen some kung fu masters who are really serious about fighting. The last group usually don’t believe in all this ‘mumbo jumbo’ and are extremely serious and realistic about fighting. They understand that cross training is something you have to do, and they understand violence.

RD, although I agree with your statement, the San Shou in china is modern and very few of the ‘masters’ or coaches over there, have a traditional back ground. They approach san shou just like any MMA coach would approach MMA, but basically just focusing on san shou rules (no ground fighting). Non of them (or at least not the ones I have encountered) are under any false idea that their stuff is deadly.

A good fighter should be able to adapt. Plain and simple. If you cant, you probably not worth being called a fighter.

Most MMA fighters are under no illusions about their abilities. They test it regularly. They don’t have to kill people to show how good they are either.

But to answer Flying monkey, I do think there are still worthy Kung Fu fighters. But as with most things, they probably don’t care much about stylistic boundaries and probably do a fair amount of cross training.

All your (our) sihings and sisooks in HK cross train. I mean, Seem Lam Yuk runs a thaiboxing gym from Sifu Chow’s kwoon.

David Jamieson
07-20-2008, 07:15 AM
I didn't say famous, but great. Let my see your list.

? why posture belligerently? was my response not satisfactory to you? ... and now you demand i compile lists? I would say, "you first", as is cam's request, please make a list of who you know is inadequate and explain why.

otherwise, my post speaks for itself.

also, any list i p[roduce would only be in my own opinion and by my own observation? what would you do with said list? waste a bunch of time trying to find holes in the teachings of the people in the list? how would you achieve that? how would you confirm you are correct. all the same questions already posed towards your original post which is vague, makes blankets statements , is arbitrary, condescending and ultimately empty of value due to the fact that you simply don't know these inadequate "most teachers" that you drop on the table as if it were a reality.

i guess my main point is that people need to think before they post the vague general attacks on cma practices.

Mulong
07-20-2008, 07:39 AM
Whatever attracted someone to MMA does mean will be attracted to CMA; each style has it own following.

Hey, some like brunettes and other blondes... Now let's look at the ladies...

SPJ
07-20-2008, 07:48 AM
for people that are interested in testing their skills;

In Taiwan, or China, there are more venues than say 30 years ago.

In Taiwan, when I was in high school, there were only tkd. shuai jiao, judo, kanto, fencing, etc.

nowadays, there are many federation and college cups,

yang ming cup, kuo shu federation, san shou, ---

they have quarterly, season and yearly games.

western boxing games are also popular.

tkd is still the most popular in Taiwan.

so again,

you want to test your skill, go to a tourney, there also us chapters of kuo shu federation, san shou, etc and world or international league etc.

they all have regular meets.

the links

as you may search your self.

--

Eddie
07-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Whatever attracted someone to MMA does mean will be attracted to CMA; each style has it own following.

Hey, some like brunettes and other blondes... Now let's look at the ladies...

Fair comment, but in the ends its all about actual fighting. And I think that’s what Flying Monkey is concerned about.

SPJ
07-20-2008, 08:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-yEev5tbts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9nQmr4Gw1o&feature=related

---

a clip of a recent fight in taipei.

I guess see some of you there or some other tourney.

:)

SPJ
07-20-2008, 08:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4o7xca5EhQ&feature=related

Wang and Yang both were san da king winners in Taiwan.

talked about their wins in K-1 fights over players from australia and thailand.

They both are also good with western boxing and had a lot of injuries over the years. and they are both old and won against younger players.

SPJ
07-20-2008, 08:17 AM
art of war fighting championship in China.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgPjPZDtlfo&feature=related

on and on.

---

SPJ
07-20-2008, 08:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuRxeCeL6ls&feature=related

San da king in Taiwan.

---

SPJ
07-20-2008, 08:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ty9uNre3gQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8JhTL8YOGw&feature=related

Wu Zhuang Yuan yearly games.

--

SPJ
07-20-2008, 08:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx85adj7KU8&feature=related

Jing Ying cup.

Mulong
07-20-2008, 08:41 AM
It is good to see the next generation of practitioners asking themselves the validity of CMA; at one point we all should ask ourselves does our particular style or knowledge is valid?

At which point we should look for the best venue that suits our needs to judge or exam of our knowledge/skill. (As we all know this will vary from person to person.):)

Flying-Monkey
07-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Exactly Eddie! We need put up or shut up. I'm sorry but fighting with kung fu is not kick boxing or Chinese kick boxing.

yaoli
07-20-2008, 06:11 PM
It's so silly to judge if one style is better than other. Gung Fu, CMA, Karate, MMA.... doesn't matter title, all can be the same. you fight a person and his own training, not a title or name. Gung Fu/CMA has evolved, the funny thing is that some people don't realize it because names, titles, and uniforms have changed/evolved.:D

martial arts is all the same, the problem is that natural human prejudice causes some people to think that they have or do something better than others.

monji112000
07-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Exactly Eddie! We need put up or shut up. I'm sorry but fighting with kung fu is not kick boxing or Chinese kick boxing.

what is it then?

Lama Pai Sifu
07-20-2008, 07:02 PM
It's so silly to judge if one style is better than other. Gung Fu, CMA, Karate, MMA.... doesn't matter title, all can be the same. you fight a person and his own training, not a title or name. Gung Fu/CMA has evolved, the funny thing is that some people don't realize it because names, titles, and uniforms have changed/evolved.:D

martial arts is all the same, the problem is that natural human prejudice causes some people to think that they have or do something better than others.

Good Post!

lkfmdc
07-20-2008, 07:08 PM
oops. my brother just told me that only overseas chinese may attend.

Chinese racism, just another reason CMA has not evolved

SPJ
07-20-2008, 07:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4o7xca5EhQ&feature=related

Wang and Yang both were san da king winners in Taiwan.

talked about their wins in K-1 fights over players from australia and thailand.

They both are also good with western boxing and had a lot of injuries over the years. and they are both old and won against younger players.

For people that are interested, this was from a recent event of K-1 in taiwan.

Wang was like 33 years old and his opponent was still in teen.

So he used fast western boxing and KO his opponent in the first round. He said that the opponent was good with MT and good kicking and young. So he wanted to get close fast and punch as fast and as hard as he can. So Wang did not have to deal with kicks and dragging on the fights for more rounds. Wang was affraid that he did have the endurance to last for more rounds.

--

My point was that a fight is a fight no matter in what format, san da, tkd, mma, k-1, ufc,

a fight is a fight no matter what you use, boxing, mt, bjj, judo, shuai jiao, kung fu,

--

oh, by the way, I am a supporter of "arts of war fighting championship" (or MMA in China).

--

back to regular programs.

SPJ
07-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Chinese racism, just another reason CMA has not evolved

I do not really know what the comp is about.

But it will be held as more of a cultural thing.

And the sponsoring group is related to epoch time and fa lun gung.

:confused::D:eek:;)

NJM
07-20-2008, 07:22 PM
go to china and step into a san shou ring. We will let them know about your thread ahead of time.

mmmmmmmmainstream rd!

Lucas
07-20-2008, 07:25 PM
kungfu or rather, chinese influenced martial arts are under going the same metomorphasis that is taking shape across the entirety of martial arts.

What you are saying about cma is similar im sure to what many practitioners other various tma's are saying all around the world.

with the rise of mma over the last several decades, and the utilization of mass communication within the martial arts world, many people are being forced to open their eyes to aspects that their previous studies may have not introduced to them.

this is not to say that all (to stay on topic) cma teachers/practitioners are so far removed from reality that their methods and techniques are useless, rather that as a whole, these people must find where they fit into the over all picture.

the truth about martial arts is and always has been very simple;

you take what there is, you find out what works through testing it, then you practice and keep on testing. this process nevers ends, and there are no limitations. you will always find out something new.

the problem with cma isnt the material, nor the training methods. Plenty of people are on the right track using cma in their games. the problem with cma is with people. with cma having such a long history and cultural fusing, there are just too many aspects.

for instance there is the straight forward combat of cma. this is not stylistic per se, yet at the same time it is. I would place this more onto the school rather than the style. Some schools from the same styles across the globe will NOT be on the same page.

there is the health/spiritual aspect. many people will begin and die in their ma careers seeking only health or spiritual development.

there is the cooky mystic side of cma. (not to be confused with chinese sciences. such as acupuncture, meditation, qi gong etc. these would fall in the spiritual and health section. I refer to the no touch ko's and the like) a lot of people are retarded. they have mis guided ideas and beliefs that are drawn from a multitude of places. essentially they take what is pure, warp and twist it to suit them.

then there is the contemporary wushu.

With all these aspects of CMA, and all being categorized under that lable 'KUNG FU' there is a problem being able to find what some call 'the real kungfu' if you get my meaning.

NOW, the thing with kungfu and mma. the way mma is going to utilize kungfu in its arena, GENERALLY, isnt going to be by having an influx of 'kungfu' purists competing across the globe. no, the involvement will be in men who KNOW cma and draw from ASPECTS of cma in mma training.

cma can stand on its own, in its own realm. in the mma world cma must be added to the collective that is mma. not try to forge its own path.

yaoli
07-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaoli
It's so silly to judge if one style is better than other. Gung Fu, CMA, Karate, MMA.... doesn't matter title, all can be the same. you fight a person and his own training, not a title or name. Gung Fu/CMA has evolved, the funny thing is that some people don't realize it because names, titles, and uniforms have changed/evolved.

Good Post!

thanks!!! :)

lkfmdc
07-20-2008, 07:35 PM
I do not really know what the comp is about.

But it will be held as more of a cultural thing.

:confused::D:eek:;)

ah, so DEFINITELY RACISM !!!!

You do know that Fa Lun Gong preaches racism as it's basic tenent? Chinese go to the "best heaven" and black people do not go to heaven at all :rolleyes: Anyone who "inter marries" goes to hell.

Anyone who would go to an event sponsored by Fa Lun Gong is stupid

HOKPAIWES
07-20-2008, 09:52 PM
How do I get to Chinese food heaven? Mmm, hungry.:)

TenTigers
07-20-2008, 10:17 PM
on Long Island, you need to go to Fortune Wheel. There's another place in Bethpage, called Orient, but the waiter scares me.
Some like East Buffet-it's not one of those cheezy buffets. They have sushi, sashimi,with good cuts of yellowtail-if ya tip them(they keep it under the counter) and a carving station with Peking Duck, and leg of lamb, and on Saturdays, they put a whole lobster at every table.
LamaPaiSifu's school is right across the street from Minado (not Manudo) which is a huge Japanese all you can eat. (the desserts suck, though-but the flan is ok.
flan in a Japanese Restaurant? Maybe it is Manudo!)

SPJ
07-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Of course, like always, jokes are made and issue is dodged.

1. If kung fu people enter MMA events, --

the most likely place would be MMA in China. so I encourage CMA schools in China to send their students to art of war FC.

2. If MMA people enter Kung fu events, --

so I encourage MMA people in the US to enter san shou, kuo shu lei tai events.

your concerns are fully addressed.

sometimes we have to read other's posts carefully, or think about them more, or meanings beyond the obvious.

I spoiled the fun.

---

;)

Flying-Monkey
07-21-2008, 04:41 PM
1. If kung fu people enter MMA events, --

the most likely place would be MMA in China. so I encourage CMA schools in China to send their students to art of war FC.

2. If MMA people enter Kung fu events, --

so I encourage MMA people in the US to enter san shou, kuo shu lei tai events.

your concerns are fully addressed.

sometimes we have to read other's posts carefully, or think about them more, or meanings beyond the obvious.

I spoiled the fun.

---

;)

I am not talking about MMA events. We need our own NHB events first. Actually, I dont think TMAist would do well in MMA events. This doesnt mean that I think that they are no good.

SimonM
07-22-2008, 07:10 AM

And there we have the cause for the racist approach. Falun Gong doesn't believe in racial mixing. They think it'll make it easier for the disembodied aliens to kick our souls out of our bodies and take over.

Seriously...

Falun Gong is f-ing crazy.

No_Know
07-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Oh please.

China had a stable society. It wasn't like people were fighting in the streets every day. China in its early days made a lot of advances. The Chinese society was one to look up to. Most of the invaders who beat China incorporated a lot of China's good points. The same thing happen when the Romans beat the Greeks.
That might suggest that Kung-Fu was good enough to stabalize a society. Also, it was good that victors would incorporate it. This seems to speak to the effectiveness of Kung-Fu which you might question.

Dinosaurs??? I think MMA and BJJ are the comets that are slowly ending the Kungfuasourus.

KungfuProagandasaurus perhaps...

"The young of Understanding want immediacy"

I am guessing that you were sold on the "kung fu takes 20 years to master" thing. Yeah, it takes 20 years to master when you have no master. I am talking about those teachers who tell you "self-reflect self-reflect", and "find out on your own". These guys have the perfect out. If you are able to defend yourself (probably from your own merits) , the teacher was successful. However, if you can't, it is your fault and you have to look deeper. These teachers in most cases are just hiding the fact that they can't teach. quote]

What teachers do not bring-out or use the student's own understanding to educate?

[QUOTE=Flying-Monkey;874126]I am not saying "reflect" and "finding thing out on your own" aren't good. You need to do these things. BUT a good teacher will show you how to use what you've learned. Most don't because they can't.

Technically, you might need to know all of the teachers for what you say to be sound. But if this is your experience or understanding then your statement is reasonable. What could it matter to you? Even if true, why say? The hard ground is hard but you do not say that. What would be your reasons for pointing out your understanding?

I No_Know

Ray Pina
07-23-2008, 09:31 AM
The problem with Kung Fu is that there just isn't enough quality Kung Fu to go around. So teachers add all this cultural mysticism... shrines, flags, appealing heroic history, magical powers (chi)... to distract students.

Why would you want to distract your student?

Maybe because your level of Chinese boxing can't compare with local standards of western boxing. Maybe because you have forms to teach but not much else. Maybe you have never really fought, don't know how to prepare to yourself for a fight and thus can't teach someone else.

And there are more people who are attracted to martial arts that don't really want to put in what it takes to get the skill than those who do... so these environments cater to them while instilling the idea that their training is superior physically (they are too dangerous to compete) and spiritually (they know they are so dangerous they don't have to compete).

We each make our choices and reap the fruit of our labor. We get out what we put in.

eomonroe00
07-23-2008, 08:09 PM
you guys might have a decent idea here and there, but most just see a lot kung fu bashing happening, especially by this monkey fellow-i should not even respond to this forum terrorist, but

you see kung fu is bad because they do so and so, "why would they do so and so?", you ask

oh , thats right , i forgot only kung fu has bad habits, only kung fu attracts shady teachers,

lets show some respect guys, not everyone likes mma, not everyone likes karate,

its the practitioner, its the society, shady teachers are around bc some enjoy them, i dont go on food website complaining as to why mcdonalds is still in business, but some retards still eat poison, and these retards are still my brothers and i love em, once society has no more need for poison or shady teaches they will be gone,

ARe you guys saying this a kung fu wide problem only? this doesnt occur in other arts? really?

i had a bad math teachers once, lets get math teachers next, english is so much better, english teachers embody the essence of a teachers, math will soon perish, like dinasaurs

now doesnt that sound silly

peace,

SPJ
07-23-2008, 09:39 PM
this is already a long and winding thread.

many good points are brought up, but

1. Good kung fu teachers, they do not make a living by teaching kung fu. They also have a day job.

dun know much about people here in the states, but in Taiwan, the good teachers I knew or ran into actually teach out of interests. Most were retired from the police, military or agencies, They all served active duties in their prime, and now lived on pensions or minimal pays.

1. They taught active qin na and shuai jiao in the police.

2. They learned some Ba Ji in the securities or Taiwan's marine.

3. They taught mantis in the military police etc.

I guess most of them never stepped in a ring, but actually used their kung fu in their duties.

utility of Kung fu was never an issue, it is only about how good you are etc.

--

I leave the ring issues to people that are actually in the ring.

;)

SPJ
07-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Cultural things are just cultural or adds on.

Cultural things should not or wound not have anything to do with fighting

--

SPJ
07-23-2008, 09:45 PM
Some of the good teachers that are my contemporary.

They teaches in Kuo Shu clubs in primary, high schools and universities.

again, they do not make much money either.

just regular physical education teacher pays.

There are regular high school and college meets or san shou, kuo shu lei tai etc.

again

some of the good san shou/san da teams would be from the police academy, army, air force, marine etc.

--

For people interested in Kuo Shu circles in Taiwan.

--

SPJ
07-23-2008, 09:48 PM
my point is that shady teachers or no good teachers do not last long in Taiwan.

And the good teachers do not make much money either.

meaning that if you want to make money, do something else.

And you teach CMA only because you love to do the stuff.

Flying-Monkey
07-24-2008, 04:27 AM

none of this is true. i have friends in Taiwan, and tell me it is like anywhere else. there are some good and bad.

A good teacher can make good money. Case in point: keith maza

lkfmdc
07-24-2008, 08:06 AM

NOSNSENSE.... China and Taiwan are FULL of shady teachers, bad teachers and frauds.... to say otherwise is ridiculous

And good teachers CAN make money.... just many do not

TenTigers
07-24-2008, 08:28 AM
there is nothing wrong doing something well, and getting paid for it. There are many teachers who teach full-time, who are very passionate about their art. One thing has nothing to do with another.

SPJ
07-24-2008, 08:38 AM
NOSNSENSE.... China and Taiwan are FULL of shady teachers, bad teachers and frauds.... to say otherwise is ridiculous

Yes.

Every fruits basket has some bad fruits.

Every orchard has some bad apples or oranges.

or something to that effect.

SPJ
07-24-2008, 08:39 AM
there is nothing wrong doing something well, and getting paid for it. There are many teachers who teach full-time, who are very passionate about their art. One thing has nothing to do with another.

agreed.