PDA

View Full Version : Finger Poke for the win

sanjuro_ronin
07-21-2008, 04:56 AM
So, on Saturday, on Spike TV's Fight Night, where Anderson Silva once more showed why he is the best fighter in the world - ie: Superiour Skill, there was also an interesting match between Kevin Burns and Anthony Johnson, won by Burns VIA a Thumb poke to the eye.
" ...Round Three
More kicks as the fighters come out, both looking fatigued. Burns lands a good uppercut but Johnson lands another takedown. Burns continues to do a great job at maintaining guard and defending against ground and pound. The Ref stands them up for a third time. Johnson gets another takedown again only to have the Ref stand them up again. Burns appears to land a strong uppercut, but the replay shows he inadvertently poked Johnson in the eye. The Ref stops the match and Kevin Burns is announced the winner. Anthony Johnson shows true class as he accepts Burns's apology for the eye poke and condemns the crowds booing.

The winner by TKO is Kevin Burns. "

Now, Kevin had broke his left hand twice in 16 months and as such, he doesn't punch with his left, he palm strikes, and what happned was that, his left "jab" was really a left "jabbing palm" and he lunched it before the right uppercut, but the thumb of the left hand ( looked like the thumb at least) caught the right eye of Johnson and AJ went down like a ton of bricks.

So, even though it was unintentional and totally accidental, it seems that, eye pokes work.

:D

Yao Sing
08-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Yep, I was going to bring that up myself since there's been much talk around here about how 'impossible' is is to actually land one and how it will only **** off your opponent and prompt him to give you a more severe beating.

I've always maintained that if you can reach the face with your hand you can take out an eye. No target practice needed, can be done by a blind man.

This is the 2nd time I've seen the local MMA 'experts' proven wrong by the UFC.

Eric Olson
08-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Ancient Cobra Kai saying:

"If a man can't see, he can't fight."

Carry on......

MightyB
08-14-2008, 05:16 AM
So, even though it was unintentional and totally accidental, it seems that, eye pokes work.

:D

I'd like to agree with this except that most people neglect to train their fingers for the finger strikes. They do the forms, know the apps, but they don't build up the finger strength necessary for a miss. 1 finger zen isn't for the successful hit to the eye- it's for when the guy flinches and you end up poking his forehead. Ever jam your finger playing basketball? It frigg'n hurts and your hand is useless.

TaichiMantis
08-14-2008, 08:46 AM
I'd like to agree with this except that most people neglect to train their fingers for the finger strikes. They do the forms, know the apps, but they don't build up the finger strength necessary for a miss. 1 finger zen isn't for the successful hit to the eye- it's for when the guy flinches and you end up poking his forehead. Ever jam your finger playing basketball? It frigg'n hurts and your hand is useless.

Uh...you do realize the the thumb hit was incidental to the palm strike. Meaning training of fingers was not needed.;)

SAAMAG
08-14-2008, 01:58 PM
One - anything entering the eye oroface will hurt an opponent, whether that be a finger, a knuckle, a toe, or whatever.

Two - The idea of using a stiff pointed spear hand as it is traditionally trained is not necessary however, nor is it necessary to dig your hands in hot woks of sand to be able to do it.

A proper finger jab, in reality, is done normally like a palm--but with the palm slightly pitched forward and the fingers slightly bent. If you miss...there's no damage to the fingers.

Kinda like what SR describes here but with the thumb...huh...go figure.

SR

I can identify with what the guy's doing...I normally fight with my strong side in front, but after breaking my wrist which resulted in non-union, I now have to switch with my weaker side in front because that is the side with the (now) even weaker wrist which can no longer take the brunt of hitting with power shots. Now I just use it to jab for the most part.

You always have to adapt and overcome.

Lucas
08-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Ive been modifying my self to use more palm strikes when I practice. Primarily for head shots.

A question for people that utilize palm strikes on a regular basis in fighting. I dont really have much experience actually hitting someones head with palm strikes at this point, but I have been using more of a leopard hand form style when working on the bags. as opposed to full open handed palm strikes.

To me it seems to have less of a chance to snag the fingers un wantingly, or possibly even getting them jammed. as they arent the same lenth, at least mine arent, jamming would likely hit on a single finger even if they are locked tight.

with the leopard hand, my main question is this: do you find the knuckles of your hand, naimly the pinky finger, getting too much conctact, to the point they may be injured by doing a palm strike like this on a harder surface. im aiming for the heel of my palm.

ive worked bags and sandbags, but maybe I need to start hitting wood like this to get the feel down for what a skull would be like.

MightyB
08-15-2008, 12:51 PM
I don't know enough about leopard strikes to answer your question, but it sounds like you're on the right path. I believe that you have to condition yourself for striking especially when you're considering using the more exotic striking methods for self defense. Sometimes I see people practicing all these wierd fists and I just cringe knowing that they've never once hit anything solid with them and they think that they'll be able to use them in a fight. IMO It's just a massive sprain or break waiting to happen at the worst possible time.

Lucas
08-15-2008, 01:08 PM
its a variation of this leopard fist. pull the thumb to the side, and the fingers back further for a more flat surface.

http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/draft_lens1563626module4104126photo_leopard.gif

Liddel
08-17-2008, 12:30 AM
If you cant use fingers to your advantage in clinch range theres something wrong....cause i find them very easy. Pokes gauges scrapes.

Ive been shown takedowns utilising fingers. One includes reaching around the opponents head in the clinch and pulling the head down via the eye socket, sort of a gauge, very aggresive and vicious.

It aint pretty, but very effective !

DREW