PDA

View Full Version : 5 Tigers Tournament youtube vids 2008

UmFu
07-21-2008, 01:04 PM
The following are a few clips from the Jow Ga 5 Tigers Opening Demo and other divisions this year, put up on youtube by participants. Several of the Sifu demonstrations are NOT included in these links, but will be included in the official tournament DVD.

Sifu Sean Marshall – Northern Siu Lum:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-hVWKRmafQ&feature=related

Sifu Mark Li: Xingyi Chuan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFkJQOB-RVE&feature=related

Various Styles: Hung Fut, Tai Chi, Jow Ga, Buk Sing CLF Applications…..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R4WVJz38wI&NR=1

Sifu John Hitchman: Muk Jong
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh5NFThiy9g

Sifu Jamal El - Northern Siu Lum & Sifu Lester Figueroa – combo. Lam family hung ga/Hung Sing CLF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zip_7Guq5RE&NR=1

Hung Ga – Iron Wire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luUAq1oaZjo&feature=user

Continuous Sparring Division:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BGEp9tEyks&feature=related

Da Saam Sing 1 Division
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK4g_QRbvEA&feature=related

Da Saam Sing 2 Division
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpo8S2gbp2U&feature=related

The DVD will include highlights from the 1st Jow Ga 5 Tigers Intramural Lei Tai

yaoli
07-21-2008, 06:30 PM
very nice and thanks for sharing. i'm looking forward to your offical DVD:)

DMK
07-22-2008, 04:08 AM
I enjoyed the vid as well .

Eric Olson
07-22-2008, 05:06 AM
How can you have a Da Saam Sing competition? Its a training exercise.

EO

sanjuro_ronin
07-22-2008, 05:16 AM
How can you have a Da Saam Sing competition? Its a training exercise.

EO

Obviously you can.

Eric Olson
07-22-2008, 06:29 AM
Obviously you can.

And the judging criteria=???

MasterKiller
07-22-2008, 06:37 AM
Obviously you can.

So what's the point? The winner is the guy with the toughest forearms?

sanjuro_ronin
07-22-2008, 07:00 AM
So what's the point? The winner is the guy with the toughest forearms?

Seems like it, yes.
Sure it pales with the Iron Crotch competition, but what's better than that ??

sanjuro_ronin
07-22-2008, 07:01 AM

Mr.T says, "Pain".
:D

UmFu
07-22-2008, 07:03 AM
Official DVD Opening/Masters Demonstrations & Applications by:

Lion Dance – Jow Ga Shaolin Institute – Sifu Hon Lee & Sifu Reza Momenan

Sifu Pedro Cepero Yee – Hung Ga
Sifu Troy Williams – Jow Ga
Sifu Othal Thomas – Seven Star Praying Mantis
Sifu Jay Hitchman – Wing Chun – Muk Jong & Chi Sao – Moy Yat Branch
Sifu Sean Marshall – Northern
Sifu Jamal El – Northern
Sifu Sharif Bey – Hung Ga
Sifu Mark Li – Xing Yi
Sifu Kevin Preston – Hung Ga
Sifu Shawn Smith – Tai Chi Sword
Sifu Shelton Lee – Hung Fut – Tai Yim Kung Fu, USA
Sifu Phil Auffrey – Hung Fut – NYC – Hung Kam Pui, Hong Kong
Sifu Burt Fleming – Hung Fut – NYC – Hung Kam Pui, Hong Kong
Sifu Ben Perez – Hung Fut – NYC – Hung Kam Pui, Hong Kong
Sifu Lester Figueroa – Hung Ga & Choy Li Fut
Sifu Shannon Moore – Wing Chun – William Cheung Branch
Sifu John Green – Chin Tai Chi
Sifu Novell Bell – Bua Gua
Robert James – Buk Sing Fut Ga (Choy Li Fut)
Tammy Lee – Jow ga

Hosted by Jow Ga Kung Fu Athletic Association, Columbia MD - Sifu Derek Johnson
www.5tigerschampionship.com

UmFu
07-22-2008, 07:38 AM

Hello Eric. Most divisions in tournaments are training exercises (chi sao, muk jong, sparring, forms, etc.) Weight lifting is a training exercise and olympic sport.

the Da saam sing was an exhibition division. the turn out of competitors was good and competitive, while the audience enjoyed it as much as the competitors.
Many considered it a fresh and exciting division.

Since it was an "exhibition division", we would appreciate & respect your thoughts, ideas and/or comments. there have been several debates online regarding other tournament divisions like chi sao & push hands,but at the end of the day it's just a competition.

If you'd like to check out the Da Saam Sing competition rules, please visit www.5tigerschampionship.com and you'll find the rules there.

thanks again for your comments
UmFu

sanjuro_ronin
07-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Hello Eric. Most divisions in tournaments are training exercises (chi sao, muk jong, sparring, forms, etc.) Weight lifting is a training exercise and olympic sport.

That's true, but it is a measured event, ie: how much you can lift, the only judging is based on wither an individual held the weight long enough in the final position and even that is time measured.

Satori Science
07-22-2008, 08:40 AM
It was a great weekend, had a lot of fun, got to hang out with lots of deadly people. Met new freinds and got to touch hands with some cool people ;)

The after party was soemthing else, don't quite no what to say about that, except its always risky putting a hundred martial artists in a room with acces to unlimited suply of free alcohol ;)

I have to thanks Sifu Derrick for inviting me and showing so much hospitality.

MY demo was a little sloppy, and my ookie caught the short end :eek:
but it was a great experience all around

Can't wait for next year,

UmFu
07-22-2008, 08:58 AM
That's true, but it is a measured event, ie: how much you can lift, the only judging is based on wither an individual held the weight long enough in the final position and even that is time measured.

yes sir. the da saam sing division, it is not only strength and time measured, but also technique measured based on the rules/criteria.

some people have opinions that disagree with boxing and mma matches as sport (we don't :) however this is a good example of personal preference and appreciation.

some people practice da saam sing for different reasons and some have different perspectives of this exercise/technique. obviously the competitors in the da saam sing division have a similar perspective, not to say that others who do not compete are wrong.

i've spent hours arguing that boxing is a great sport vs. friends who think it is not. in the end both sides have good points and neither side is wrong, just different perspectives.

check out the rules for da saam sing at www.5tigerschampionship.com and another video of the rules demonstrated during the tournament and see if promoting this type of competition will improve/promote a useful CMA fighting skill:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmwoq-YFQ8s&feature=related

btw, if arm wrestling is a national competition, there's certainly room for da saam sing in martial arts competitions.:D

UmFu
07-22-2008, 09:27 AM
oh yeah, i forgot to mention that as a Jow Ga student, i realize the importance and advantage of arm conditioning exercises for fighting as some techniques are applied in my style. the idea of a da saam sing division motivates me and offers a venue to test my training and conditioning against someone besides my training brothers and the muk jong.

Satori: i'm sure i speak for all my training brothers when i say it was a pleasure to hang out with you and have you demo your Buk Sing techniques during the opening ceremony. Our Sifu speaks highly of you and your desire to improve/promote your gung fu fighting skills. regarding the after, LMAO, well there were alot of people with bumps and bruises the next day and some who couldn't even remember how they got them ;)

sanjuro_ronin
07-22-2008, 09:33 AM
yes sir. the da saam sing division, it is not only strength and time measured, but also technique measured based on the rules/criteria.

some people have opinions that disagree with boxing and mma matches as sport (we don't :) however this is a good example of personal preference and appreciation.

some people practice da saam sing for different reasons and some have different perspectives of this exercise/technique. obviously the competitors in the da saam sing division have a similar perspective, not to say that others who do not compete are wrong.

i've spent hours arguing that boxing is a great sport vs. friends who think it is not. in the end both sides have good points and neither side is wrong, just different perspectives.

check out the rules for da saam sing at www.5tigerschampionship.com and another video of the rules demonstrated during the tournament and see if promoting this type of competition will improve/promote a useful CMA fighting skill:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmwoq-YFQ8s&feature=related

btw, if arm wrestling is a national competition, there's certainly room for da saam sing in martial arts competitions.:D

Hey, anything but flowery forms !!

Satori Science
07-22-2008, 09:45 AM
regarding the after, LMAO, well there were alot of people with bumps and bruises the next day and some who couldn't even remember how they got them ;)

LMFAO!

SO true, I woke up on the floor of your school, with quite the head ache the next morning and sore ass hands. your Sifu's students from Poland got more entertainment than they expected when they found my brother and I hung over, swearing and confused desperately trying to make coffee.....

PM so I know who you are,

UmFu
07-22-2008, 10:10 AM
LMFAO!

SO true, I woke up on the floor of your school, with quite the head ache the next morning and sore ass hands. your Sifu's students from Poland got more entertainment than they expected when they found my brother and I hung over, swearing and confused desperately trying to make coffee.....

oh yeah the guys from our Poland branch told us a funny version of you guys in the morning LOL!

btw, Sifu mentioned that he got to exchange and compare some jow ga & buk sing hands alittle bit with you in the hallway during the tournament and complimented your technique.

sanjuro_ronin
07-22-2008, 11:02 AM
LMFAO!

SO true, I woke up on the floor of your school, with quite the head ache the next morning and sore ass ...

DUDE !!

:eek:

Satori Science
07-22-2008, 12:14 PM
btw, Sifu mentioned that he got to exchange and compare some jow ga & buk sing hands alittle bit with you in the hallway during the tournament and complimented your technique.

We had really similar ideas on bridging and entrance, I have to say that he is one of the fastest southern stylists I'v ever seen move. Your Sifu has really exceptional gung fu. Please say hello to him for me, I'll either see you guys in MD this weekend or come up for a visit at the end of the month.

Sanjuro:
I have to say you have a very "creative" imagination and I'm flatterd that you think of me like that but I'm not interested. I suggest a weekend visit to Montreal, your sure to meet some one there;) (it was funny though)

Satori Science
07-22-2008, 03:33 PM
A short highlight clip from the 5 Tigers Tournament Lei Tai exhibition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DciQcEDOcw

With the exception of one fighter that I met that night everyone there were good friends of mine, great experience for everyone they all learned lots.

yaoli
07-22-2008, 06:37 PM
A short highlight clip from the 5 Tigers Tournament Lei Tai exhibition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DciQcEDOcw

With the exception of one fighter that I met that night everyone there were good friends of mine, great experience for everyone they all learned lots.

nice to see gung fu schools having closed door intramural fights. I hope the jow ga people continue. does anyone know where the fighters are from?

UmFu
07-23-2008, 12:11 PM
nice to see gung fu schools having closed door intramural fights. I hope the jow ga people continue. does anyone know where the fighters are from?

it was an intramural, but not exactly a closed door:). We just opened our school the night before the tournament to have a few intramural full contact matches between some visiting schools. this was seperate from the tournament and intended to be a venue to allow us to exam how we would introduce full contact, san da, san shou, lei tai........ in a future tournament since the Maryland law just changed in our favor. As of now we are trying to re-establish a network of kung fu schools who would like to participate in joint intramural full contact sessions. the scheduled fighters at the intramural posted by Satori were:

LANDON GODSEY (Team BANGOUT/Yee's Hung Ga) 6'2" 215 lbs
MIKE BEATO (Green Cloud CLF) 5'5" 180 lbs
STEVE DAVIS (Team BANGOUT/Brothers of Wudang) 5'7" 175 lbs
TRISTAN (Green Cloud CLF) 5'6" 160 lbs
MIKE FLORES (Liu Seong Combat Arts) 5'10" 160 lbs
KAIN MARTIN (Team BANGOUT/Yee's Hung Ga) 5'9" 190 lbs
KRIS ACEVEDO (BJJ/Muay Thai) 5'10" 185 lbs

There was also one fighter from Sifu Kevin Preston's Siu Lum Hung Ga school in PA but i apologize for forgetting his name.

yaoli
07-23-2008, 02:42 PM
it was an intramural, but not exactly a closed door:). We just opened our school the night before the tournament to have a few intramural full contact matches between some visiting schools. this was seperate from the tournament and intended to be a venue to allow us to exam how we would introduce full contact, san da, san shou, lei tai........ in a future tournament since the Maryland law just changed in our favor. As of now we are trying to re-establish a network of kung fu schools who would like to participate in joint intramural full contact sessions. the scheduled fighters at the intramural posted by Satori were:

LANDON GODSEY (Team BANGOUT/Yee's Hung Ga) 6'2" 215 lbs
MIKE BEATO (Green Cloud CLF) 5'5" 180 lbs
STEVE DAVIS (Team BANGOUT/Brothers of Wudang) 5'7" 175 lbs
TRISTAN (Green Cloud CLF) 5'6" 160 lbs
MIKE FLORES (Liu Seong Combat Arts) 5'10" 160 lbs
KAIN MARTIN (Team BANGOUT/Yee's Hung Ga) 5'9" 190 lbs
KRIS ACEVEDO (BJJ/Muay Thai) 5'10" 185 lbs

There was also one fighter from Sifu Kevin Preston's Siu Lum Hung Ga school in PA but i apologize for forgetting his name.

it seems like good idea for students to exchange with persons outside if their school in smaller events in order to prepare for larger events if so choose. actually I don't think it's necessary to participate in large venues if your goal is mainly to improve & test your skills these intramurals will give you much experience & cheaper :-)