PDA

View Full Version : Tony Jaa Scandals

doug maverick
07-24-2008, 09:32 PM
so according this hai news site tony jaa has gone missing from the set of ong back 2 for the past three months. rumours are swirling that he took the money and ran cause he was having serious money problems. those rumours are totally unfounded. but the fact that he really is missing. hears the link its in thai so if you got a few thai friends like me have them translate for you.

http://news.mcot.net/entertain/insid...50eXBlPWNsaXA=

GeneChing
07-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Please translate what you got.

doug maverick
07-28-2008, 08:31 AM
i was waiting for this to come out on some kinda of english news before pressing it. well variety has now confirmed he is missing and has been since june. here is the link
http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/6559/53/
jaa spent three years working on this film, in my opinion i think he shouldn't have directed it. directing a film is such a mental and physical strain on one self add to that all the action and "acting"(notice the quotes) he had to do. anybody would have a mental break down. but even thou he spent three years working on the film he only spent like 7mil which is nothing in terms of films. but a **** load of money in thai land.

doug maverick
07-28-2008, 08:58 AM
http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/kaijushakedown/ONG-BAK-2-IN-TROUBLE
http://thaifilmjournal.blogspot.com/2008/07/jaa-forgiven-but-prachya-pinkaew-asked.html
http://bkkmindscape.blogspot.com/2008/07/jaa-resurfaces-from-afar-1.html

doug maverick
07-28-2008, 09:15 AM
promo reel for ong bak 2. even thou this film looks like it is no way shape or form related to the first ong bak, the action in it looks amazing:

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/tony-jaa-brings-the-pain-weve-got-the-ong-bak-2-promo-reel/

Jimbo
07-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Well, I hope everything turns out for the best for him.

GeneChing
07-29-2008, 09:18 AM
far less informative than the links above, but more grist for the mill...

Martial arts star goes missing (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a116426/martial-arts-star-goes-missing.html)
Tuesday, July 29 2008, 08:14 BST
By Simon Reynolds, Entertainment Reporter
Martial arts star goes missing

Rex Features
Tony Jaa, the director and star of upcoming martial arts film Ong-bak 2, has been missing since June, says Variety.

Sahamongkol Films's president Somsak Techaratanaprasert confirmed the news, but insisted that Jaa's film will still be ready for its scheduled release this year.

Reports in Jaa's native Thailand have suggested that the actor has fled to the jungle to meditate after feeling the financial pressure of helming his first feature film.

"I love him as a son," said Techaratanaprasert . "I guarantee that this is not a case of financial fraud and I have no intention of pursuing any legal action against him."

Onk-bak director Prachya Pinkaew confirmed that he will complete the film in Jaa's absence.

He said: "Jaa has little experience directing. He's spent nearly $7.8 million. The film is almost finished, so I'll try to see what I can do with the footage that he's shot."

Jaa's breakthrough role in 2003's Ong-bak led to comparisons with Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan.

doug maverick
07-29-2008, 10:50 AM
jaa made a huge mistake by directing a period peice himself. period peices require lots and lots of attention and it needs a director behind the camera to navigate it. rule number one know your limitations. i would have never started out with such an ambitious project as my first film. you have to start small and build your way up. movie making is like martial arts foundation is everything. it took him three years to bring the film this close to completion. thats ridiculous. and i bet the story is not going to be that good or original. and now that the sucky director from part 1 is taking over i have very little hope for this film.

doug maverick
07-29-2008, 05:53 PM
so tony jaa has resurfaced. i'm starting to think this may have been a publicity stunt to get sympathy from fans to see the film since apperantly ja went broke making the film, here's the article:
http://thaifilmjournal.blogspot.com/2008/07/tearful-tony-jaa-vows-to-return-to-ong.html

iron_silk
07-31-2008, 11:52 AM
I was never particularily fond of Prachya Pinkaew directing.

I would love to see how Tony Jaa did it...it would seem he put a lot of heart into the project, which doesn't necessarily guarentee success but I am ready for a new person behind the helm.

冠木侍
08-02-2008, 10:54 AM
so tony jaa has resurfaced. i'm starting to think this may have been a publicity stunt to get sympathy from fans to see the film since apperantly ja went broke making the film, here's the article:
http://thaifilmjournal.blogspot.com/2008/07/tearful-tony-jaa-vows-to-return-to-ong.html

And you helped to perpetuate this "publicity stunt." :D

Why would he need sympathy. Anyone who is a fan or who saw that trailer is def going to make some room on their calendars.

doug maverick
08-02-2008, 01:37 PM
well people were going to see dark knight but i bet u dollar for donuts if heath wouldn't have died it wouldn;t have been well on its way to be coming the highest grossing film of all time. i guess they thought that the film would get more international buzz then it did. when it didn't they called it off. cause i don't care who you are you take three years to shoot a film and then disapear when its almost done i'm sueing your ass if i'm the boss. and the fact that they just put water under the bridge its just kinda makes me feel like its a patented stunt ploy to get this film more internationally noticed. cause ja's films don't get wide release's like say jet li does.

SteveLau
08-03-2008, 12:46 AM
Another recent movie release from Thai called "Female Fighter" or something likes that. I decided not to watch it in theatre, and I was right. As the movie critic said the storyline has good potential, but it did not end well in the final edition on screen. The story is a bit weak, and the fight by the female actor is fast but without much strength. If Ong Bak 2 is being made, I have high hope for it. Let us wish that it ends well into release soon.

KC
Hong Kong

冠木侍
08-05-2008, 08:14 PM
That is a fair assessment about the movie. I think that his death solidified the success of the movie but was not the main cause of it. People were expecting great things from this movie way before.

The first one was so different and yet so good. People seemed to like the newer version and at the end, when the Joker's card turned up, people couldn't wait for the release of the second movie.

It could be stunt or they might have been lenient on Jaa because he is the star. Or like you said, it could have been a collaborative rouse to draw some attention to a film that wouldn't usually get a wide release. You have more access to such information that we would on that subject.

Jaa got recognized in the first Ong Bak and then gained wider exposure with Tom Yum Goong. But it wouldn't be fair comparing him to Jet. He's still got a way's to go.

Jimbo
08-06-2008, 10:32 AM
I suppose it could have been a publicity stunt, but if it was, IMO it wasn't a very good one. It seems more embarrassing to see Thailand's most internationally famous action star crying over it than anything else. Not really the best way to promote your martial arts movie. Also, maybe they are just saying publicly that all is forgiven, to give the impression of a warm, fuzzy 'movie-making family relationship' when maybe it's really not.

Phil Redmond
02-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
Phil

doug maverick
05-30-2010, 01:34 PM
so in his latest publicity stunt tony jaa has become a monk read on my friends:

Tony Jaa Quits Acting to Become a Monk

by Peter Martin May 30th 2010 // 3:02PM

Filed under: Action, Foreign Language, Independent, Newsstand, Cinematical Indie
Tony Jaa, preparing to become a monkYou might remember that Tony Jaa, who came to prominence as the high-flying, hard-kicking star of the highly entertaining Ong Bak: The Thai Warrior, experienced some trouble during the production of Ong Bak 2: The Beginning, his directorial debut. At one point he reportedly walked off the set and into the jungle to work out his problems.

Everything seemed to work out all right, old friends came back to help out, and the movie was released to good success in Thailand. Reviews were mixed to negative (in both my view and that of Todd Gilchrist), but everyone agreed the fight scenes were spectacular. Not so the follow-up, Ong Bak 3, which failed at the box office. And now Jaa has left acting behind, at least temporarily; he rode atop an elephant to a ceremony where his head was shaved, he took vows, and he was ordained as a Buddhist monk, as reported by Twitch.

"Thai Buddhist men routinely enter the monkhood at various auspicious times in their lives for short duration," observes local film journalist Wise Kwai. Jaa's service as a monk may well be temporary, but whether that means months or years is up to Jaa. In his report for Twitch, Todd Brown provides context on Jaa's career and details the troubles on the Ong Bak 2 set. He's seen Ong Bak 3 and thinks it "stinks of contractual obligation," that Jaa has lost his fire as a performer, and that the actor and budding filmmaker will wait out his 10-year contract with the production company behind Ong Bak 2 and 3. Personally, I think if that's what it takes for Jaa to find peace and happiness, that's what he should do.http://www.cinematical.com/2010/05/30/tony-jaa-quits-acting-to-become-a-monk/

Jimbo
05-30-2010, 07:22 PM
If Jaa was really unhappy, then what he needs is a step back. But I doubt he'll be leaving the industry for good. When I lived in Taiwan, I knew a guy from Thailand who had to go back home to Bangkok for a month or two to honor the tradition and become a monk. He's one of the most un-monk-like guys I ever knew. When he returned, he showed us the photos of his head getting shaved, and wearing the robes of a Buddhist monk. Needless to say, once his obligations were fulfilled, he was no longer a monk.

IMO, Tony Jaa will be back. But whatever he does, hopefully he'll be happier than he's been.

doug maverick
05-30-2010, 09:14 PM
what upsets me about this is that there were serious talks about him doing a movie with donnie yen, like super serious almost a done deal talks. and now thats either been delayed or fell through completley. which sucks because how many times can donnie fight sammo? or colin chou? or wu jing? there arent to many people who can match him as a screen fighter.

mawali
05-31-2010, 07:26 AM
In Thailand, it is a common practice for males to do time as a monk. Could be 2 week weeks to longer periods of time depending on the motivation and character of the person.

Jimbo
05-31-2010, 10:22 AM
what upsets me about this is that there were serious talks about him doing a movie with donnie yen, like super serious almost a done deal talks. and now thats either been delayed or fell through completley. which sucks because how many times can donnie fight sammo? or colin chou? or wu jing? there arent to many people who can match him as a screen fighter.

Doug,
Maybe it's also possible that Tony Jaa feels under a lot of pressure with the prospect of appearing with Donnie Yen onscreen, what with Donnie being the number-one MA film star in China/HK. Unfortunately, the pool of potential screen opponents nowadays is miniscule compared to the '70s and '80s, and it only makes sense these two should meet. Sammo is great, but he's not the Sammo of the 1980s anymore, and Donnie is my age and not getting any younger, either. And, if Tony decides to return to films, he'd better not wait too long. Though Tony's at his physical peak now, the very nature of his onscreen style requires youth and all his parts working perfectly. Plus, Tony needs the opportunity to appear in films with better storylines to support his great onscreen fights.

GeneChing
06-01-2010, 09:57 AM
I posted the transcript of the source interview for the article Should Warrior Monks Disrobe? in our 2010 May/June Shaolin Special (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=892)- see Should Warrior Monks Disrobe? Exclusive to KungFuMagazine.com: Transcript of the interview with Reverend Heng Sure and Dr. Martin Verhoeven (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=900). In the discussion of Theravada, you'll see how Thai monks disrobe regularly.

We all remember when Jet called it quits back in 2005.
Jet Li to quit Kung Fu Movie biz! (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37638)

GeneChing
06-02-2010, 10:34 AM
I was trying to log on to a Pattaya news site but it kept crashing.

ONG BAK Star Tony Jaa Joins The Monkhood. (http://twitchfilm.net/news/2010/05/ong-bak-star-tony-jaa-joins-the-monkhood.php)
by Todd Brown, May 29, 2010 1:43 PM

Tony Jaa has exited the film industry. We don't know for how long and can only speculate on the reasons why but yesterday - Friday, May 28 - Jaa rode an elephant to a Buddhist temple in Surin, Thailand, where he shaved his head, took vows, and was officially ordained as a Buddhist monk.

Now, this is not necessarily forever. Joining the monkhood for set periods of time is a fairly common practice in Thailand and the expectations are not that he will remain in the monastery forever. In fact, Jaa's mother has already been quoted saying she hopes her son will find a nice woman and get married once his time as a monk is complete. This does, however, completely eliminate any chance of Jaa being involved in the film industry for the time being and this, I think, is entirely the point. In fact, I actually predicted this move back in August of 2008. Here's what I think is happening:

Following the success of Ong Bak and Tom Yum Goong, Jaa insisted he be allowed to direct his next film himself - a desire largely responsible for destroying his relationship with director Prachya Pinkaew. Jaa got his way, though, and the reins of Ong Bak 2 were handed over to him. The initial footage from that film looked fantastic but it didn't take long for strange stories to emerge from the set - stories of Jaa sacrificing chickens before shooting for the day could commence - and things rapidly fell behind schedule and way over budget. And then, with pressure mounting and debts adding up, Jaa simply crumbled under the pressure and disappeared. He was gone for two solid months - during which time the wilder stories explaining his absence involved black magic in Cambodia - before his mentor Panna Rittikrai managed to track him down and bring the wayward star home. And then, believe it or not, things got even messier.

First Jaa appeared on TV, weeping and vowing to complete the film. Then he publicly issued a set of demands to production house Sahamongkol, threatening to disappear again if they were not met. Among the demands were the insistence that he be released from the long term, exclusive contract that he signed with the production house. Shortly after this Jaa was whisked away in a car full of Sahamongkol 'heavies' prompting speculation that he had been kidnapped. Not true, Jaa said when he reappeared, but whatever happened was unsettling enough to him that he took refuge in a police station, where he later met with Sahamongkol boss Sia Jiang. That meeting resulted in Jaa's demands being dropped, Jaa agreeing to split Ong Bak 2 into two movies to allow the company a chance to recover the cost over runs, the creation of a major new role for Sahamongkol's other star Dan Chupong, and directorial duties for the remaining shoot were handed over to Panna Rittikrai.

Well, the results of those shoots have both been released now. Ong Bak 2 - mostly Jaa's film - is flawed but was a success thanks to the incredible fight work. Ong Bak 3, however - assembled fast and cheap from a quickly revised script by an assembly of Sahamongkol execs and Rittikrai - became the first Jaa film to ever fail to top the Thai box office and, frankly, stinks of contractual obligation. The passion isn't there, the fire is completely gone from Jaa as a performer, he's put on weight - not to Segal levels but he's lost all of his definition - and all of the films best moments belong to the charismatic Chupong, not Jaa. With Ong Bak 3 it seems that Tony just doesn't care any more.

So here's my take on things. Jaa, clearly, meant what he said when he threatened to walk away and disappear again. My guess is Sia Jiang laid down the legal and financial consequences Jaa would face if he failed to fulfill his Ong Bak 2 contract, effectively forcing him back to work on that film, but now that that particular film is done and that particular debt is paid, Jaa has gone to where their contracts couldn't touch him. How long will he remain a monk? My guess is until one day after his original ten year exclusive contract with Sahamongkol expires.

GeneChing
06-26-2013, 10:05 AM
I merged the 'tony jaa is missing' and 'tony jaa calls it quits' thread into this one. After all, JC (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42240), Shaolin (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47568) and the Abbot (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42909) can't be the only ones with scandal threads (Seagal has one too (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37259), sort of). ;)

Brawl in the family, Amie scrubs up, Mo's love match Published: 23 Jun 2013 at 00.00 (http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/356460/brawl-in-the-family-amie-scrubs-up-mo-s-love-match)

GeneChing
09-19-2013, 12:18 PM
...just broke ass po'

Tony Jaa can't even afford new underpants (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/life/Tony-Jaa-cant-even-afford-new-underpants-30215127.html)
ntsoopsip@gmail.com September 19, 2013 1:00 am
Reconciliation between Sahamongkol Film chief Somsak "Sia Jiang" Techarattanaprasert and action star Thatchakorn "Tony Jaa" Yeerum remains as remote a possibility as getting the yellow shirts to pay for Thaksin's airfare home.
Not even Jaa's mother-in-law, Wanna Surawitayanon, could make dent in the stand-off when she tried pulling a Banharn this week.

Wanna told ASTV Manager that Jaa was basically cash-poor when he married her daughter, Bung. "All he had were some almost worn-out underpants," she said, painting a very pathetic picture indeed. Bung, of course, accompanied Jaa to that fateful meeting with Sia Jiang in early August about terminating the contract he'd renewed only the day before. Bung told the boss that Jaa didn't want to keep working for Bt50,000 a month. They agreed that Jaa could bolster his income with commercial work.

"So they were puzzled to see Sia Jiang holding press conferences," Wanna says. And there's Jaa so keen to work in Hollywood that he's started learning English. "I believe Jaa would continue working with Sia Jiang after the Hollywood project," she says. He's not the ungrateful type. "His salary isn't much and every month he sends Bt10,000 to his parents, and Bt25,000 goes to car instalments, so there's not much left."

Wanna advised Jaa to open a small business, maybe a restaurant, but he insists on following his dream. "All I want to do is tell people to give him moral support and put the record straight that he's not the ungrateful type," she says.

Stay tuned for the next episode later today at a press conference about the premiere of "Tom Yam Goong 2" on October 23. Jaa has been invited, says the studio, but hasn't confirmed he will attend. If he does, it will be him and Sia Jiang, no holds barred.

Father knows best

Actress Warattaya "Jui" Nilkuha is glad that Praew magazine's latest issue has been gobbled up in its entirety, thanks to TV news-talk host Sorrayuth Suthassanachinda posing with 12 hot stars - including her. Jui's fans love it, but her dad doesn't. He says her shot with Sorrayuth is too intimate.

It's true that while the other actresses merely stand by his side, Jui's got her head resting in his lap, and he's caressing her bare shoulder. Too much for her old man, who she calls "very possessive".

But rather than "intimate", the pose was quite tense, Jui reveals. They were both nervous and she couldn't relax her head and shoulders. So why, then, her dad wanted to know, does Sorrayuth say in the magazine that Jui is his favourite actress?

Well, Jui must have got him going. Each of the actresses had to ask him a question, and she asked it he could do without his eyeglasses on the show. Sorrayuth said he certainly would if Jui were there with him, "but I wouldn't dare have eye contact with you because then I'd be too shy to work!"

We reckon her dad's right.