PDA

View Full Version : Pak Hok vs Choy Lee Fut

Joe McGinty
07-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Are Pak Hok and Choy Lee Fut similar? They look alot alike, I dig the wide powerful punches. I do not like high kicks though.

seisei
07-30-2008, 12:53 PM
I beleive that Bock Hock and Choy lee fut are similar in appearance and nature they are both southern styles and very useful in self defense in my area ,the san francisco,bay area we have a few variations of choy lee fut which is what i have and still practice and we have the Leung's white crane avery good system .as you say they both like to use wide powerful swinging punches extremely effective
m

lkfmdc
07-30-2008, 12:59 PM
in an article in "the other kung fu magazine" ;) Doc Fai Wong now says he has uncovered evidence that at least one of the influences in CLF comes from the Ding Wu Jih, ie the same monastery Sing Lung of Lama Pai hung around.... interesting if true (who knows?)

TenTigers
07-30-2008, 01:19 PM
If you look at the timelines when Wong Yun-Lum was around, Hop-Ga, Hung-Ga, CLF-These styles were all around at the same time. Wong Yun-Lum had a profound influence on these styles. I know some may not choose to recognize this, and instead create wonderful stories about Hung Hei- Guen and Fong Wing Chun etc, but if yuo look at it from purely a technique based point of view, it seems(at least to my novice eyes) pretty obvious.

lkfmdc
07-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Southern martial arts also seem to be incredibly incestuous

Hung Hei Goon, Luk Ah Choi and Fong Sai Yuk all running around the same time. If you believe some of the legends, Fong Sai Yuk is related to both Miu Choi Fa, Miu Tin at the temple and Fong Wing Chun....

Tit Kiu Saam also studied with Sing Lung

and of course Wong Yan Lam being around during the 10 tigers period

Shaolindynasty
07-31-2008, 08:25 AM
I don't know if I would call it incestuous. when you get a bunch of martial artists together they are going to have an inluence over each other and exchange ideas and techniques. Wong Yun lam probally commanded alot of respect since he was the "leader" of the ten tigers. I get the idea that it was less about style in those days and more about who could kick the most ass.

lkfmdc
07-31-2008, 08:52 AM
I get the idea that it was less about style in those days and more about who could kick the most ass.

2 for 2 this morning ;)

What a concept, caring about EFFECTIVENESS! Glad TCMA moved beyond those old days :rolleyes:

Shaolindynasty
07-31-2008, 08:10 PM
Glad TCMA moved beyond those old days
I should also note that there are those of us today that still only care about effectiveness and train with that in mind. IMO that's the true tradition

CharlesDaCosta
08-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Boy, this is my 2nd time trying to apply. Is there an auto time-out connected to posting?

CharlesDaCosta
08-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Hi all,

It has been a long time since I posted to this forum so please forgive me for butting in.

Back in 97 I met a Spainard in Barcellona that taught HG and CLF (he was the top student of some famious Chinese and HG stylest - I can't remember). We .... and came to the conclusion that both styles are fruits from the same tree.

The Spainard told me that one of the styles used to develop CLF was a style whose name could be translated meaning "Monk's style," And, today we have no clue which monk or style it ultimately was. We agreed the monk had to be a Buddhist and probably not Shaolin because a more descriptive name would have been used.

We compared and contrasted PK and CLF. We ...

I don't want to get kick out again so I am going to try and post this much.

CharlesDaCosta
08-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Back in 97 I met a Spaniard in Barcelona that taught HG and CLF (he was the top student of some famous Chinese HG stylist living in Barcelona too - I can't remember their names:D). We compared and contrasted PHP (T. White Crane) and CLF, and we came to the conclusion that both styles are fruits from the same tree.

The basis for our conclusion was not only because of the similarities between LR and CLF.

The Spaniard told me that one of the styles used to develop CLF was a style whose name could be translated as meaning "Monk's style," and today we have no clue which monk or style it ultimately was, we speculate that it was a Shaolin monk, but this did not seem likely.

We agreed that the monk had to be a Buddhist and probably not a Shaolin monk (as many believe) because a more descriptive name would have been used and not a catch-all phrase like "The Monk's Style." This name implies the monks name and style was unknown to the student (the actual ancestor of CLF).

Another point made was that, maybe the monk was so famous that he was the only "Monk with a style that was totally unique and so new that it did not have a name yet," :D so every other local person would know who and what style was being talked about (this was to justify why it still could have been Shaolin monk or any other type of monk or hermit, guru, what ever. We felt this was a little far fetched, so we dropped it.

It was also obvious that this monk's style had a big influence on CLF because it is the most evident in non-weapon sets.

Over time I had learned that the Southern Chinese, like most of the world, even today, tend not to like foreign influence. This forced many members of the LR systems to give their versions of LR acceptable Chinese names and histories ... This is also why there was a trend by Chinese to claim that "All Chinese MA was invented at the Shaolin Temple and then later migrated to other Temples and lay people :rolleyes:."

The Spaniard and I also discussed some of the differences and concluded that most are more of a variation (to me holding back to strike more times faster - I saw in CLF) and the more extreme differences could have come from one of the other styles the ancestor of CLF learned.

So in conclusion, "The Monk" was ultimately Sling Long (poor spelling) or one from his line of students:cool:.

CharlesDaCosta
08-02-2008, 10:03 AM
2 for 2 this morning ;)

What a concept, caring about EFFECTIVENESS! Glad TCMA moved beyond those old days :rolleyes:

Boy, guys just give up all MAs and buy a couple of oozies (or other automatic weapons) and some granades. Then learn how to used them ---- EFFECTIVENESS!:eek:

Chill out and have some fun!!!:cool:

Lama Pai Sifu
08-02-2008, 10:43 AM
So in conclusion, "The Monk" was ultimately Sling Long (poor spelling) or one from his line of students:cool:.

And you are trying to suggest, with no historical evidence whatsoever (other than you and your 'Spaniard' hypothesizing...) that the "Faht /Fut" in CLF was either "Sing Luhng" (which you obviously unsure of the pronunciation, not just spelling) or a Sing Luhng student/classmate?

Wow. I guess you have just solved a long standing question. Excuse me while I throw out all of the other history and evidence (you know, like conflicting dates and all) that does NOT support that.

Just because CLF has things in common with Lama (Bok Hok and Hop Ga as well), doesn't mean it had to be Sing Luhng or someone in that line that made up the Buddhist Style. Sing Luhng was a Tibetan Monk.

CLF has a handful of techniques in common with Tibetan styles. So? The style is completely different in strategy, fundamentals, theory, etc. They are not similar. People who don't know them very well will always think they "look" alike. Although they share some tech in common they are not similar.

CharlesDaCosta
08-02-2008, 12:18 PM
... with no historical evidence whatsoever ... hypothesizing ... that the "Faht /Fut" in CLF was ...

... all of the other history and evidence (you know, like conflicting dates and all) that does NOT support that.

Just because CLF has things in common with Lama (Bok Hok and Hop Ga as well), doesn't mean it had to be Sing Luhng or someone in that line that made up the Buddhist Style.

CLF ... is completely different in strategy, fundamentals, theory, etc. They are not similar. People who don't know them very well will always think they "look" alike. Although they share some tech in common they are not similar.

I am sorry to say no one seems to have real historical evidence because (well you know why). I consider my source reliable enough to share the thought that the possibility of one of the systems that CLF was built from was LR or one of its decendents.

In terms of conflicting dates: which style is the oldest?

It is interesting that of the main schools of southern styles CLF and PHP look more alike then any of the others - this is what makes it reasonable to hypothesize about a shared ancestry.

Now if you have info which support they have no common links then share it, this is why this tread was created in the first place.

boh
08-12-2008, 01:55 PM
hi,

Sorry, but I will be throwing some spanners here.

But firstly, some of my background. I have been pracricing Ngor Chor Kun (NCK, or WuZu Quan or Five Ancestors Fist) under the Chee Kim Thong lineage for 30+ years. As you may know, White Crane is also one of the components of NCK and I also practice Fujian White Crane.

As 'Lama Pai Sifu' mentioned: Just because styles and technique 'look' similar does'nt mean so; principals, theory, internal Qi work may differ vastly.

Charles DaCosta said: "It is interesting that of the main schools of southern styles CLF and PHP look more alike then any of the others - this is what makes it reasonable to hypothesize about a shared ancestry." Not True! I think you are basing your ideas on only ONE sub-set of White Crane (WC) that you have seen. There are MANY.

Also, let me state that White Crane as a style is far from ****genous! Even among the few Crane practioneers that have posted here in the past, we have our differences. I believe the Crane style you are refering to, with the wide swings resembling CLF is Lama Pai Crane. This (I think) is a Cantonese style, and is very different from Fujian White Crane!

Therein lies the problem with Chinese Martial Arts and W Crane in particular. China is a big place, with diverse cultures and a long history. Hence tracing a lineage thru more than a few generations can be difficult, confusing and speculative, especially when a lot of this are not documented. Furthermore, the last 2 centuries was a time of great turmoil in China, with mass movement of people, rebellions, wars, famine, foreign occupation, Cultural Revolution... you get the picture. People get uprooted, families split, docuements get destroyed etc... so history gets muddled. Some styles like CLF have documented their lineage well despite all this, but most others have not, hence we fall prey to heresay....

However, one can infer about the 'cross-fertilization' between the various styles based on the forms (physical movements, hand, footwork...) and or the internal techniques (power-generation, qi-gung techniques). On this basis, my opinion is that Fujian WC has little 'connection' to Lama Pai WC.

The movements are entire different. The WC that I practice has a very wide variety of techniques, long to very short movements (it is a Southern style, after-all, meant to fight in a phone booth ;-), and uses combinations of palm, back-palm, elbows, phoenix-eye, various finger-thrust but seldom fists. Movements could be linear or circular, but the arms are kept very 'tight' (close to the body), one of the principal is to always keep the elbows 'in' and low.

Even among the Fujian styles, and there are at least 5 (Crying, Flying, Feeding,.. (can't remember the rest) ) there are a lot of variations, some are very 'hard', done with a lot of dynamic tension, others of varying degrees of 'softeness'. But there are some common traits, closed-in and low elbows, 'toon-kap' a Fujian term that literally means 'vibrating the shoulders', and breathing techniques and vocalisations... that give various (Fujian) Cranes some similarity.

This last, 'Toon Kap' is a common and very important principal for Fujian WC, as it is used to develop Qi, and allows a profficient practioneer to generate explosive power (like the whipping of wings) at long and short ranges, with very small movements (don't need to build up moentum as in a swing).... what makes the '6-inch punch' possible. Fighting principles rely quite heavily on power-blocks. These are used for defense and offense, ie: by using the block to create openings for counter-attacks and also 'destroy' oppoents arms/legs. Fighting distances can be arms-length to almost grappling distances (attacks with elbow and finger-thrusts to pressure pts.) and my style takes the direct approach when facing and attack, ie: block, create an opening and go in. Whereas I have met other Fujian crane that advocate a indirect attack.

At the very advanced level, our WC has a technique & form called "Needle in the Cotton", wwhich is used for Qi training and also has combat applications. Most of the WC acknowledge this, but many are not exactly sure what it is.

Based on the little I know of Lama Pai Pak Hok, and as a Southern Crane practioneer, these 2 have little similarities. I don't know what the history of Lama Pai is, but I don't think it has much mixng in with Fujian Crane.

Also, I think, there are probably larger numbers of Fujian Crane practioneers than Lama Pai PH. Hence I would like to make the point that Lama Pai Pak Hok is not representative of White Crane...

If we are making the assumption that CLF & WC is similar because of Lama Pai Pak Hok (LPPH), looking at the forms/techniques, I would agree, BUT, BOTH CLF and LPPH have little in common with Fujian WC, the WC that I know and probably have a larger number of practioneers out there. And I think they will agree with me....

PS
I do not mean to be over-bearing here, but would like to take this opportunity to explain about a style, White Crane, that I love, as not many may be aware of what its 'essence' is; aside from the supercial movements and the fact that there are many varieties of WC.

Boh-heong Yap

TenTigers
08-12-2008, 03:51 PM
The Bak-Hok they were referring to is Northern Bak-Hok,Tibetan White Crane (Lama P'ai) and Hop-Ga, all of which are considered to be White Crane styles. They are not referring to Fukien Bak Hok P'ai.
I also believe that Northern White Crane, and Lama P'ai also have Needle in Cotton set, so now it becomes curious once again.

CharlesDaCosta
08-13-2008, 01:16 AM
Hi Boh-heong Yap, thanks for throwing in some spanners, we are still waiting for the other guy to finish what he started, but I guess he is too busy.

I am a little familiar with NCK and FWC, and they are different birds all together from PHP (Although I have met other PHP stylist who considered elements of NCK and FWC exists at advance levels of PHP -- Using jing from the feet up through the hands into the target, and two handed techniques when at the level of Met. Hands). My PHP teachers did explain to me that PHP evolves and is broader then I can imagine, and few if any learned the whole system, so ... "who am I to say what is and what is not! -- no body"

As 'Lama Pai Sifu' mentioned: Just because styles and technique 'look' similar doesn't mean so; principals, theory, internal Qi work may differ vastly.

There is truth to what you are saying but if one style develops in the same area that an other exists and at basic levels they look like variations of each other, it is reasonable to believe that one got the techniques from the other. Especially, when the history of the younger style is not clearly specified.

Now by shared Ancestry I don't mean they have the same parents, CLF has 3 and PHP has many. But what I am saying is that one (1) of the parents of CLF also new a variation of PHP, which is very reasonable to assume.

To give you some idea of my main systems, I have spent a lot time with PHP, Shaolin Chaun and Wudang Chuan back in the 70'-90's. Today I only teach PHP, but quite often I use something from one of my other systems to help get a point across. My teachers, teachers warned me to stop calling the techniques/forms PHP because they were not, and this is even though I will do the other techniques with a PHP flavor (i.e., principles, strategies, etc.). Now that I have to teach Wushu also, my PHP will more then likely get contaminated by it. This will mean that my students will have a variation of PHP that has Wushu as a parent -- Therefore 10 years from now, the students under my line will have a shared ancestry with the other styles I will have to teach them, I am not saying they are the same styles or systems, just that they have a great, great, grand parent in common. And that does not mean that either got everything that distant parent had to offer, nor does it mean that they maintained that parent's teachings in a pure form. Kungfu/Wushu does tend to evolve.

Hence tracing a lineage through more than a few generations can be difficult, confusing and speculative, especially when a lot of this are not documented. Furthermore, the last 2 centuries was a time of great turmoil in China, with mass movement of people, rebellions, wars, famine, foreign occupation, Cultural Revolution... you get the picture. People get uprooted, families split, documents get destroyed etc... so history gets muddled. Some styles like CLF have documented their lineage well despite all this, but most others have not, hence we fall prey to heresay...

This above is very true but often hearsay, i.e. legends, are all we have. A good example is Karate. I spent several years studying O.GoJuRyu and I was taught one history. In the last 2 decades, the current leaders of the OGF have dug into the legends and known history of OGJR. And they have uncovered that the styles they thought (or taught to me) were the ancestors of OGJR were really not. Based on similarity of technique and location they have trace their roots too ...

BY THE WAY
the other two crane styles are: Shaking and Jumping. There are some who believe that the connect between our systems was the original Flying and Feeding cranes styles. The Shaolin temple - origin of Feeding Crane; Lions Roar - Origin of Flying Crane. However, the southern Chinese had these systems for so long that the styles became more and more like the styles of the best fighters of the day (the other cranes).

And THANKS for posting so much about the principles of the 5 ... it is amazing how much one can forget, and refreshing when one hears them again.

POINTS you might find useful:
--- In the 5 cranes - the 6-inch and no-inch palm comes from a concept called joint expansion.
--- The cotton represents the skin, muscle,... (soft like a cotton/cloud)
--- The needle represents the bone and qi force (hard yet flexible, and invisible - hidden in the cotton).

boh
08-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Hi Charles,

Always nice to talk White Crane with someone who knows his subject matter., and even a bit on my favourite styles ;-). I see that you are from Denmark, Copenhagen? If so, our NCK Chee Kim Thong has a school there under someone by the name of Jan (dunno his full name, but I can find out...) I have never met him, but I'm close to our Swedish NCK brothers. He is under Sifu Henry Ho, in Malmo, Sweden and he has another senior instructor Kjell Knutsson also with classes in Malmo.

Now by shared Ancestry I don't mean they have the same parents, CLF has 3 and PHP has many. But what I am saying is that one (1) of the parents of CLF also new a variation of PHP, which is very reasonable to assume.

Point taken, yes having shared ancestry may not mean its the same thing! Aslo as mentioned by Ten Tigers, the context of White Crane in this thread seems to be Northern White Crane

"...Northern Bak-Hok,Tibetan White Crane (Lama P'ai) and Hop-Ga,.."

- and I have to admit I am quite ignorant of, and from what I have seen (from You Tube!) do resemble CLF! BUT (again IMHO) totally different from FWC! Charles, when you say PHP, do you mean the above?

But yes, despite all that from what you & Ten Tigers say, some of the commonality in techniques do indicate either a shared ancestry or a "cross-fertilisation" between styles, that got absorb and adopted!?

Another spanner I'm gonna throw in the works... and although may be classified as heresay (I apologise beforehand, but it makes for interesting discussion...) but comes from a rather authoratative source -

is that WC may not have a clear lineage, nor is it one style, but rather an heterogenous collection of styles! This came about during the tumultous time when WC (along with later Shaolin arts, NCK being one of them...) evolved, the change between Ming & Ching (Manchu) dynasties. A lot of Martial Artist joined the rebellion against the Manchus, and Shao Lin became a focus for the rebels, (which got it destroyed by the Manchus, resulting in the growth of the Southern Saholin temple... buts that's another story...) A lot of the rebel's tyles then may have been 'Family Styles'. If you are a rebel and you got captured, you might be forced to divulge your lineage and hence (Grand) Master, resulting in his arrest and excecution of not only him, but his family, and also grandsons/daughters and their families etc... (yes, those was bad times in China). So they united under a mythical name "White Crane" that did not have a real 'lineage' (Founding Master or family of techers). So this 'umbrella' of the rebel's styles could have resulted in the establishment of White Crane's popularity and spread, and I can be pretty sure there would have been a lot of cross-fertilisation!

Yes, there could have been a real WC style, and there are some that say WC was founded by a lady who observed a Crane fighting.... but not in my history ;-).

My 2-bits worth, and again from the same source, is that WC was derived from Wu Mei (Ng Mui - in Cantonese) a legendary Shao Lin nun. And since I do also practice Wu Mei (under GM Chee Kim Thong's lineage) I do find many similarities, especially with the internal aspects, with WC being a sub-set of WuMei! That's my opinion anyway. So much for heresay, many versions, some more intersting/plausible than others.... pick your favourite!

CharlesDaCosta
08-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Hi Boh-heong Yap,
I agree that it is always nice to talk White Crane (and for me martial Arts in general). I live close to the center of Denmark, near a city called Odense, 2 hours from Copenhagen. I am an ex-American. I know Jan and his former teacher but I never met Henry. I think that Jan has a relatively new school and they may lean more towards kickboxing since his son is on the national Kickboxing team.
In Denmark traditional Martial Arts seem to be dieing out and MMA and kickboxing schools are popping up instead.

When I talked to Jan, I didn’t make a connection to White-crane. I guess I still connect them to their old teacher and kickboxing more so.

Now, when ever you see the term “Pak Hok Pai” know that this is Cantonese, so it relates to White Crane out of Canton (Hong Kong). Most schools of Fuzhou/Fukien have a different spelling. The other difference is in the English translation.

One other point, The Northern Crane/Stork style is different too. Some believe this was the Ancestor to what you call Feeding Crane. Its techniques where mainly derived from kicking and the hands with the finger tips together. I think this is one of the “old (-est)” lost or almost lost arts from the Shaolin/Wudang monasteries.

And, yes, commonalities in techniques do indicate either a shared ancestry or “cross-fertilization" between styles. This was my whole point.

You are right about both Southern and Tibetan White-Cranes being heterogeneous collections of styles. In the case of Tibetan WC, it was founded that way. All the different versions of legends I read, have its founder/creator and expert in several other systems of martial arts spanning the silk-route before he created the system. So far, the best I have herd yet has the founder only uncovering a new strategy and the essence of all martial arts. This strategy and the essence could be applied to all arts, thus making it easer for his art (a blending of what he and others already new) to evolve. By evolving and preserving this “True essence” one would have a superior/invincible style.

And, then you have the mess you spoke of, surrounding the Manchus and Shaolin. And also, new boxers popping that want to make their styles famous the easy way (claim it came from the holy mountains or it was ... of a known system).

Now, Cranes were popular in China, and they inspired many DIFFERENT people, thus yielding similar in some respects to totally different styles with the same name. Each of the original 5 cranes has a different creation/inspiration story with a different founder.

So yes, one of the 5 was founded by a lady who observed a Crane fighting (The Feeding Crane). And yes again, “So much for hearsay, many versions, some more interesting/plausible than others.... pick your favorite!” I would add, “pick what inspires you.”

htowndragon
08-14-2008, 07:20 PM
could you explain the needles in cotton set?

needles in cotton seems to be purely a tibetan white crane thing, i never heard of FWC having it

CharlesDaCosta
08-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Sorry I made a mistake so I deleted it.

boh
08-15-2008, 04:13 PM
This is what I know of the NiC, it is suppose to be the highest art form of the White Crane style, taught only to advanced students. Yes it is an important part of FWC, certainly for our school, and a few other FWC schools I know who have te purer traditions. Our Ngor Chor Kun (NCK, 5 Ancestor) also has a NiC form, also at advanced level, pprobably inherited from its WC component. The fact that Lama Pai has this certainly lends credit to the shared-ancestry or corss-fertilization arguments above ;-).

For us, the NiC is practised to develop Qi, and in practice, it is slow, flowing and accompanied by coordinated breathing. This is quite different from our other WC forms, which emphasize rapid, vibrating movements - more representative of training/applying fa-Jing. I see its also done slow in Lama Pai.

As for its theory and meaning, well I'm not expert enough, but it has pretty deep implications. One way to look at it is as a Yin/Yang thing, Yin - being the soft, yielding, cotton-ish component, and the yang being the hard, forceful opposite. One interpretation is of course that presented by Charles in a previous post, but I think it goes far more than that.

Charles,

About Jan, don't know so much about the kick-boxing part, but I do know they have a group that is still hard-core into traditional MA. I don't mean that Jan does white crane, but our NCK has a heavy WC influence, you can see from our forms. Whereas other NCK tend to have more of a TaiZu/LoaHan influence.

WC spelling, well Fujian pronounciation is 'Peh Hok', and the Mandarin is 'BaiHe'. Yes I have heard of the Northern Crane, but have not seen it. Also the way they use the hands, fingers together, other than Feeding Crane, I don't think the other FWC use it, certainly not our school, but I may be mistaken.

Steeeve
08-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Dont want to be a trouble maker

But GM Jimmy Woo of kung fu san soo ....or tsoi li ho fut ga hung or whatever ...:)
just my opinion but does he teach some choy lay fut or white crane ,lama pai ,hop gar whatever the name ... a kind of... put the name you want:D

without the forms ....the traditionnal forms ....very important to learn the forms
No forms you are not a real one ......;)

Secret is in the forms ....dont forget ....do you really believe me ......

Steeve

Steeeve
08-15-2008, 07:55 PM
ohhhhhhh about the southern crane....goju ryu or uechi ryu(seem more southern mantis) are not bad onn it...

But the feeding crane of taiwan is very cool ....do you know about the flying crane FEI HE ...of Malaysia ;)

Steeve

CharlesDaCosta
08-16-2008, 03:13 AM
Steeve, you are a little confusing the way you are writing; however, I think the main points you are trying to make are as follows:

There is a connection between southern crane and goju ryu and may be uechi ryu. But Uechi ryu seem more connected to southern mantis.
Feeding Crane is in/from Taiwan.
Does anyone know about the flying crane (FEI HE) of Malaysia?
Does anyone know GM Jimmy Woo, and does he teach kung fu without the forms? The traditional forms are very important because without them you are not a real practitioner. The secrets of kung fu styles are in the forms?

If so, then yes it is true, "the secrets of kung fu styles are in their forms." And, the connections you presented are being considered true.

Is the Malaysian Flying Crane part of Silart (can't spell it) or is it a unique system?

Hi BOH,

... it is suppose to be the highest art form of the White Crane style, taught only to advanced students. Yes it is an important part of FWC, certainly for our school, and a few other FWC schools I know who have the purer traditions.

... For us, the NiC is practised to develop Qi, and in practice, it is slow, flowing and accompanied by coordinated breathing. This is quite different from our other WC forms ...

This holds true for Tibetan White Crane also.

Our Ngor Chor Kun (NCK, 5 Ancestor) also has a NiC form, also at advanced level, pprobably inherited from its WC component. The fact that Lama Pai has this certainly lends credit to the shared-ancestry or corss-fertilization arguments above ;-).

... our other WC forms emphasize rapid, vibrating movements - more representative of training/applying fa-Jing. I see its also done slow in Lama Pai.

As for its theory and meaning, well I'm not expert enough, but it has pretty deep implications. One way to look at it is as a Yin/Yang thing, Yin - being the soft, yielding, cotton-ish component, and the yang being the hard, forceful opposite. One interpretation is of course that presented by Charles in a previous post, but I think it goes far more than that.

One day we are going to have to compare and contrast our styes. And, I am going to have to talk Jan into introducing me to his teacher one day.

But anyway. There is another Crane style called Fighting Crane, sometimes it is considered one of the 5 Cranes of Southern China (including HK and Taiwain).
This could mean that a single style has two names, one is the child of the other, or they are two different syles. This also makes me wounder if the designation of the 5 Cranes was more one system as oppose to it meaning the only/or-main 5 Crane styles in Southern China.

When you look at Hung Gar, it has elements of Feeding Crane. I think because of the C.Revolution and Wushu, the Northern Cane has merged into other styles and has probably died-away as a unique system. This has happened to most Northern systems. And, considering this is where both the military and the Holy Mountains are (the birth places of Chinese Martial arts), you would expect there to be a lot more, and varied, Northern systems then Southern, but the appearance is the opposite.

From what I remember, like most Northern styles, Northern Cane did not try to look like the animal it got its inspiration from. It became just a variation of Long Fists. This would have contributed to its disappearance. I think, Hung Gar is probably the closes the Southern Chinese got to preserving Long Fists. I say this because most of the techniques are there but the strategy is typical Southern Chinese. This has, of course, cause changes to the way you execute the techniques.

Hi htowndragon,
Comming from Houston, you must be from Yang Jwing Ming's (I can't spell) line. If so, you would not have NiC b/c YJM was a specialest in one Crane style, Shakking. NiC would have been introduced to the Cranes schools that had the Flying Crane as a disicipline or substyle, thus Boh school. Boh school combines the 5 Cranes, and this includes Flying Crane.

htowndragon
08-16-2008, 11:05 PM
i am hop gar, not from yang jwing mings white crane though i have seen many of his people around here.

CharlesDaCosta
08-17-2008, 06:20 AM
i am hop gar, not from yang jwing mings white crane though i have seen many of his people around here.

Sorry about that!

hungmunhingdai
08-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Needle in Cotton (NiC) or Meen Loy Jum
This is what I know of the NiC, it is suppose to be the highest art form of the White Crane style, taught only to advanced students. Yes it is an important part of FWC, certainly for our school, and a few other FWC schools I know who have te purer traditions. Our Ngor Chor Kun (NCK, 5 Ancestor) also has a NiC form, also at advanced level, pprobably inherited from its WC component. The fact that Lama Pai has this certainly lends credit to the shared-ancestry or corss-fertilization arguments above ;-).

For us, the NiC is practised to develop Qi, and in practice, it is slow, flowing and accompanied by coordinated breathing. This is quite different from our other WC forms, which emphasize rapid, vibrating movements - more representative of training/applying fa-Jing. I see its also done slow in Lama Pai.

This has to be the biggest bag of bulldust to surface here in recent memory.:eek:

jdhowland
08-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Quentin Fong taught that Needle in Cotton is for practicing kam na simultaneous evading and seizing/pulse attacking drills.

jd

CharlesDaCosta
08-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Quentin Fong taught that Needle in Cotton is for practicing kam na simultaneous evading and seizing/pulse attacking drills.

jd

This can also be practiced while doing NiC. For all you FWC guys, I was taught that NiC represented the actual Crane style in TWC (PHP). In PHP, before NiC, there is just Ape style.

boh
08-17-2008, 01:57 PM
[jdhowland]

that's a different but ineresting interpretation/application of NiC.

for us, appart from the Qi development aspects, its applied with Qi/Jing to neutralise (especially 'hard') attacks, to counter iron-shirt defenses and then follow thru with nerve point attacks.

[hungmunhingdai],

I checked your previous posts/threads - you didn't start any threads and most of yr posts are obscure one-liners. No personal info? You are just a little (Ozzie) troll, come on, you can do better; go practice somewhere else and when you grow up, then hopefully you can can pretend to equal some of the more renowned and infamous trolls here... and get banned!

Besides, I'm puzzled by your handle, in very bad Cantonese, it translate to "Hung-Brother", are you referring to your sexual prowess or did someone kick you in the goolies?

boh
08-17-2008, 02:59 PM
hi Charles

you'll find Sifu Henry 'interesting', he's not your typical venerable Chinese GM, although he's into the mid/late 50's. I'll leave that surprise for you to find out! There is another person you might meet thru Jan, a senior instructor of Sifu Henry, his name is Kjell Knutsson (Swedish). Good friend of mine and we have trained together. He occassionally teaches a class in Copenhagen.

From our GM Chee Kim Thong, he never mentioned the 5 Cranes. From what I can gather it was just one Crane, and as I mentioned before WC, may have predated Southern Shaolin.

The Northern WC, to me is quite a different beast. I (have always) thought its principles are different, from my little knowledge gained from watching YouTube, and (I heard of) its relation(?) to Tung Bui (Northern Ape) now that you mentioned it! The long versus the short strokes, the almost entirely circular vs the circular + linear techniques (of N vs S WC) and different power genaration techniques.

Then from some of you here, I learnt that there are similarities! The NiC, the spiralling Jing from the legs... well live and learn, now I just need to 'touch hands' with a Northern WC guy!

Having said that, let me relate an anectdote that hilights the complexities we have discussed, on the cross fertilization of Trad. Chinese MA during the last century ...

Just today, I met up with a senior Wing Chun (WCh) instructor, and it changed my perception of WCh, as my past experiance with WCh has been the more dominant Hong Kong flavour. This guy was from Vietnam/Hanoi, his lineage was from Fat San (spelling?) and his GM came to Vietnam in the 1930s. As we exchanged display of forms, his looked very different from the HK WCh. In fact looked similar to our NCK and FJWC! He then told us that his GM had 2 teachers, one was of course WCh, but the other was from the Northern 'Internal' Arts (well I have always debated that point/terminolgy but, let's not digress...), and so his WCh had influences of TsingYi, BaGua and TaiJi!

Sure enough when we 'touch hands' I could 'feel' it. He was using the stance rooting of TsingYi, exerting (turning) power from the 'Kua' (pelvis), body movement of TaiJi and hand techniques of WCh (with good elbow control like FJWC) plus the 'heaviness' of TsingYi (not hardness). I was pleasantly surpised! Very different from previous HK WCh that I have touched hands with...

He also said that his WCh forms are influenced by the 5-animal forms of TsingYi (Tiger, Leopard, Snake, Crane, Dragon) and he demonstrated the form.

A wonderful exchange, and its like discovering a 'lost' art! Well its goes to show, if WCh is like this, then the "Many Cranes" scenario could be similar... as its lineage is even older.

Gru Bianca
08-17-2008, 07:34 PM

jd

Hi,

I've sent you a PM.

hungmunhingdai
08-17-2008, 09:55 PM
[jdhowland]

that's a different but ineresting interpretation/application of NiC.

for us, appart from the Qi development aspects, its applied with Qi/Jing to neutralise (especially 'hard') attacks, to counter iron-shirt defenses and then follow thru with nerve point attacks.

[hungmunhingdai],

I checked your previous posts/threads - you didn't start any threads and most of yr posts are obscure one-liners. No personal info? You are just a little (Ozzie) troll, come on, you can do better; go practice somewhere else and when you grow up, then hopefully you can can pretend to equal some of the more renowned and infamous trolls here... and get banned!

Besides, I'm puzzled by your handle, in very bad Cantonese, it translate to "Hung-Brother", are you referring to your sexual prowess or did someone kick you in the goolies?

First there is the truth and then there is what you are saying:eek:

CharlesDaCosta
08-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Hi boh

I will be going to Copenhagen the end of next month to help start a Wushu association in Denmark. I hope to meet Jan then.

I have been doing some digging to find stuff on the Crane/Stork style that would have come from the North. I have not found much. This is the closes I could come:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=397WPlZG120

I was taught a lot more kicking, jumping, and standing on one leg. But, then again -- It was my uncle that introduced me to this style. He taught me the basic principles and techniques. Now I am beginning to wounder where did my uncle get it from, since I can't find others teaching it. I needed something new for my finial exam in shaolin Chuan, so my uncle felt I should present it to my teacher. The only credibility I have is that My Shaolin Chuan teacher was please with the stuff and passed me.

The idea of one crane is not uncommon. I have met others that hold a view that the different Cranes are just different Froms in a single system.

The Northern WC, to me is quite a different beast. I (have always) thought its principles are different, from my little knowledge gained from watching YouTube, and (I heard of) its relation(?) to Tung Bui (Northern Ape) now that you mentioned it! The long versus the short strokes, the almost entirely circular vs the circular + linear techniques (of N vs S WC) and different power genaration techniques.

Now don't confuse Northern WC with TWC (PHP) they should be different too.

That WCh guy sounds really interesting.

the "Many Cranes" scenario could be similar... as its lineage is even older.

I agree

Steeeve
08-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Well

If so, then yes it is true, "the secrets of kung fu styles are in their forms." And, the connections you presented are being considered true.

The only secret is training training training .....Forms are a good solo training ...for train the endurance some physical attribute and the core of ur style.... but dont teach the reality ....I mean you need to do two men drills and sparring....

CharlesDaCosta
08-19-2008, 06:44 AM
The only secret is training training training .....Forms are a good solo training ...for train the endurance some physical attribute and the core of your style.... but don't teach the reality ....I mean you need to do two men drills and sparring....

What you are saying is true. But keep in mind:
Training is no secret, that has been the key to success in every sport. Forms tell you what to train; and often they are a mystery.

Steeeve
08-19-2008, 06:25 PM
Charles

Dont know what to said

Forms are just there for solo training......no mystery .....no secret whatever...

And forms teach the mechanist of the style ....

just a anology here ...in music you learne note ...do re mi ....now whatever the style of music you play ....the note are the same ,,,,,,

:)

Steeve

CharlesDaCosta
08-20-2008, 03:06 AM
Hi Steeve,

At advance levels in Kungfu teachers present new techniques, not alone but as part of a form. Where there might be 50 new techniques for you to master. These techniques are the secrets of a style. Some teachers don't explain the forms, some do, and for different reasons.

In PHP whole new strategies are hidden in diferent forms. This is the same for most other systems too.

Steeeve
08-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Charle l

Let me the time todo a good english writing(text) for response ...about what you said

dont want to be misundersttood.....

Steeve

CharlesDaCosta
08-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Charle l

Let me the time todo a good english writing(text) for response ...about what you said

dont want to be misundersttood.....

Steeve

take al the time you need.