PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun references in a novel...

LoneTiger108
08-03-2008, 12:49 PM
My wife recently thrust a book in my face saying, ''Look at this! Wing Chun is in here!"

Being sceptical, I read page 288 of Christopher Paolinis "Eldest" (the sequel to Eragon) and this is what I found:

"Oromis did not give Eragon long to ponder Saphira's departure; the elf marched him to a square of hard-packed dirt beneath a willow tree at the far side of the clearing. Standing opposite him in the square Oromis said, "What I am about to show you is called the Rimgar, or the Dance of the Snake and Crane. It's a series of poses that we developed to prepare our warriors for combat, although all the elves use it now to maintain their health and fitness. The Ringar consists of four levels, each more difficult than the last. We will start with the first"...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=eldest

I was quite shocked to see the words jump out at me, but it wasn't the first time I noticed a little mention of Wing Chun in a novel albeit a brief and 'hidden' one!

Has anyone else had an experience like this? Please share...

TenTigers
08-03-2008, 07:26 PM
there was an issue of Dark Knight that had alot of Wing Chun techniques in it. Looks like they copped it from a book and drew in batman, but cool, nonetheless.
Would have loved to see that rather than that new fangled crappola they used in Dark Knight and are now going to market it as the new and improved krav maga, or some sh1t.

LoneTiger108
08-04-2008, 11:16 AM
You wouldn't be referring to KFM (Keysi Fighting Method)?

I've never had the fortune to meet the guys who founded this system, but most of what I've seen and especially their 'signature' moves tend to stem from an understanding of Biu Jii; Wing Chuns third form even if its said to be from Krav Maga.

I see Wing Chun all the time in movies, but its nice to see references on paper too!

Anyone else?

kwaichancan't
08-04-2008, 01:53 PM
From what little I know of Krav Maga, it's inception was similar to JKD in that it borrowed a lot from other systems and integrated them into a new system, so it wouldn't suprise me if there's elements of Wing Chun to it. A chap told me recently that the original SAS were taught Wing Chun techniques during the WWII when they first began. I'd be very suprised at that though, because where would the British armed forces have gotten the knowledge from in the first place?

SAAMAG
08-04-2008, 02:21 PM
They've all got different approaches to combat. While WC emphasizes certain techniques guided by concepts as solutions to a given problem; my understanding of KM and KFM lead me to believe they are moreso approaches to fighting without relying heavily on techniques but moreso one's intent, mental and physical drive, autonomic response, and using natural body mechanics and chemical reaction as aid to surviving an attack.

If I were to pick one as my sole means of self defense...it would be a dilemma for sure.

kwaichancan't
08-04-2008, 02:35 PM
They've all got different approaches to combat. While WC emphasizes certain techniques guided by concepts as solutions to a given problem; my understanding of KM and KFM lead me to believe they are moreso approaches to fighting without relying heavily on techniques but moreso one's intent, mental and physical drive, autonomic response, and using natural body mechanics and chemical reaction as aid to surviving an attack.

If I were to pick one as my sole means of self defense...it would be a dilemma for sure.

Saw some documentary about as Israeli Special forces dude being assessed during demanding conditions and he did some seriously wacky stuff with his nervous system. Very impressive. I know a girl who used to be in the Israeli army, but she denies any knowledge of Krav Maga, since she was a clarinetist in the band. I was disappointed to hear this.

anerlich
08-04-2008, 07:47 PM
but it wasn't the first time I noticed a little mention of Wing Chun in a novel albeit a brief and 'hidden' one!

Almost to the point of not being there at all...

Presumably you've read Rene Ritchie's Legends of Wing Chun: Embers of the Shaolin.

http://www.amazon.com/Legends-Wingchun-Shaolin-Rene-Ritchie/dp/0973880406/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217904052&sr=8-2

If not, shame on you.

KFM is about as similar to WC as WC is to BJJ. i.e. not very at all.

Toby
08-04-2008, 09:51 PM
A chap told me recently that the original SAS were taught Wing Chun techniques during the WWII when they first began. I'd be very suprised at that though, because where would the British armed forces have gotten the knowledge from in the first place?Hong Kong maybe?

Graychuan
08-05-2008, 12:38 PM
On a slightly other note....any of you guys/gals ever watch Avatar: The last Airbender?

This toon pays more than average attention to martial arts styles displayed by the characters.

Wu Wei Wu
08-05-2008, 12:41 PM
An episode in the second series of the Mighty Boosh has a Wing Chun reference.

kwaichancan't
08-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Hong Kong maybe?

point, but they weren't keen on teaching the Gwailor back then I thought?

KPM
08-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Hong Kong maybe?

More likely Shanghai. The British picked up lots of Gung Fu related moves while manning the police force there at around this time frame. But from what I've seen it was more Shuai Jao related and not anything like Wing Chun.

LoneTiger108
08-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Presumably you've read Rene Ritchie's Legends of Wing Chun: Embers of the Shaolin.

http://www.amazon.com/Legends-Wingchun-Shaolin-Rene-Ritchie/dp/0973880406/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217904052&sr=8-2

If not, shame on you.

Shame on me! :o

KFM is about as similar to WC as WC is to BJJ. i.e. not very at all.

The thing is, BJJ is similar to a Wing Chun concept I looked at. It was common practise to change words around when the character 'hand' is used. Hand is a reference (in some sayings) to the whole body which, as I studied, was referred to as the five elements of the hand, eye, body, waist and stance/horse (sau ngan sun yiu ma)

SO when I practised chi sau I also practised chi ngan, chi sun, chi yiu and chi ma. Sometimes separately and sometimes all together!

Its old text, and even now we would refer to 'ngan' as including the head and neck (eyes, ears, mouth, nose).

I often see people fighting like this in cages on TV especially when any BJJ is applied. ;)

point, but they weren't keen on teaching the Gwailor back then I thought?

Maybe not, but 'they' have since and continue to do so today. IF, that is, you're referring to the 'chinese' martial artists of Hong Kong?

anerlich
08-07-2008, 02:36 PM
The thing is, BJJ is similar to a Wing Chun concept I looked at. It was common practise to change words around when the character 'hand' is used. Hand is a reference (in some sayings) to the whole body which, as I studied, was referred to as the five elements of the hand, eye, body, waist and stance/horse (sau ngan sun yiu ma)

I'm going to call Emperor's New Clothes on you here. Allusions to Chinese sayings and refences to terminology and usage do not necessarily deep and meaningful posts make, especially about BJJ.

You went to a Gracie Seminar I believe, and they were nice to you. And watched some cage fights. I don't think you actually know enough about BJJ to make educated analyses of its similarities or differences to WC or anything else.

BJJ is a deep and rich art which does not deserve to be trivialised. And there are more differences than similarities to WC.

LoneTiger108
08-08-2008, 12:40 PM
...You went to a Gracie Seminar I believe, and they were nice to you. And watched some cage fights. I don't think you actually know enough about BJJ to make educated analyses of its similarities or differences to WC or anything else.

Well, not exactly 'went' to a seminar, I co-organized one with some old colleagues of mine via our company. Two formidable practitioners from the Gracie family presented some great stuff through the day and we did talk quite alot, especially since we were also the first to showcase one of the gents at Seni. He has obviously now become very well known, but he wasn't back then. I think WE were extra nice to HIM! :D Well, he was (and is) massive!

The problem here is, what do you know about what I know? I think you need to lay off people who can make some observations that maybe you have yet to notice. All Martial Arts are the same and all this division doesn't do any of us any good at all.

...BJJ is a deep and rich art which does not deserve to be trivialised. And there are more differences than similarities to WC.

I agree 100%! And I don't believe I 'trivialised' anything. Just trying to share something I've seen and wasn't aiming at offending BJJ. It's a great art, and in the UK we have some great practitioners.

FWIW you see more differences because what you know about Wing Chun and BJJ, I see the opposite. No big problem imo.