PDA

View Full Version : Overlaps

kwaichancan't
08-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Hey folks. New to the forum. 2 and a half years of wing chun training after a few years of Chen T'ai Chi and a little bit of Hung Gar. Should be training as we speak, but my intercostals are not working after a severe paggering last wednesday night :(

My question is, the three systems I mentioned while different in their expression all seem very related to me. Tai Chi and Hung Gar operate from a powerful root and use circular movements and short range explosive power. Wing chun strikes me as being very very similar to Hung Gar with all the flowery animal references and obviously animalistic moves taken out, stripped down to the functional bones then refined to a fine art (no disrespect to Hung Gar, a superb system with a fine tradition, And I was lucky enough to be trained by an elderly chinese chap who could whup your arse without removing his cigar from his mouth and out - push up most 35 year olds. I'd still be doing it now if I wasn't crap at it).

Tai Chi originated in Chen Village, not far from Shaolin. Hung Gar emerged from Southern Shaolin. Is anybody aware of any verifiable direct connection between the systems ? I know Hung Gar was taught after the monastery got burned down, and so was Wing Chun, but i wonder if WT was directly derived from HG? Any ideas folks?