PDA

View Full Version : Sifu Ng Fu Han in Los Angeles

Infrazael
08-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Long time no see everyone. In a nutshell I'm moving to Los Angeles in a few weeks, going to school there, etc, etc. I've been doing some researching for CLF teachers in that area and he is the only one I can find.

A few people tell me he is pretty good and old school. Anyone know much about him, his teaching style, what he likes to focus on etc?

If there are other CLF around the LA area as well please let me know.

Thanks.

banditshaw
08-04-2008, 04:51 PM
I heard he was pretty good.
I think the school is actually in Arcadia a suburb of LA.

I'll ask around if they are any others. Can't think of any off the top of the head.

kfman5F
08-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Where in Los Angeles are you moving to?

Infrazael
08-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Around USC.

kfman5F
08-05-2008, 02:24 PM
I believe that Sifu Ng, Fu Hang is a direct descendent of the CLF founder. Arcadia is not that far from USC. I teach Five Family Style (Choy Li Fut Mok Hung) in West Los Angeles. If you are interested send me a PM.

Here's the info you need for CLF:

Choy Lee Fut Martial Arts Federation
Choy Lee Fut
500 1/2 E. Live Oak Ave.
Arcadia California United States
Sifu Ng, Fu Hang
(626)574-1523
mun@vividnet.com

Infrazael
08-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Thanks man. I'll probably stop by sometime to say hello and maybe learn something new.

Also are there any Hakka style teachers in the LA area. Like Bak Mei, SPM . . . thanks.

-Miluo

kfman5F
08-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Hung Gar master Buck Sam Kong is not far from USC as well.

Eddie
08-05-2008, 11:34 PM
I believe that Sifu Ng, Fu Hang is a direct descendent of the CLF founder. Arcadia is not that far from USC. I teach Five Family Style (Choy Li Fut Mok Hung) in West Los Angeles. If you are interested send me a PM.

5 family styles, choy li fut mok hung??????!!

sean_stonehart
08-06-2008, 05:08 AM
5 family styles, choy li fut mok hung??????!!

I believe it's Ark Wong's teachings.

lkfmdc
08-06-2008, 05:19 AM
It's the flag the kenpo, uh, I mean San SOO :rolleyes: people have wrapped themselves in since Jimmy's death in an attempt to be considered TCMA :rolleyes:

sean_stonehart
08-06-2008, 07:06 AM
It's the flag the kenpo, uh, I mean San SOO :rolleyes: people have wrapped themselves in since Jimmy's death in an attempt to be considered TCMA :rolleyes:

I thought there was HO in there with KFSS?

kfman5F
08-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Yes, It is Ark Wong's teachings.

Infrazael
08-06-2008, 03:43 PM
I take this is not related to San Soo stuff, then?

Sung29
08-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Hi Infrazael. I believe there's a Buck Sing CLF sifu (Raymond Chan) in the LA area. I don't know whether he's taking students, or if he is teaching publicly still etc. You could contact Buck Sing Gwoon, his Sifu is a friend of Chan Sifu.

Regards,
Sung29

Infrazael
08-08-2008, 03:21 AM
Well thanks for the information. :)

I'll try to look him up.

Infrazael
08-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Anybody else? Waiting to hear back from Buck Sing Gwoon currently.

KFman is your system pretty similar to CLF?

Does anyone know if Buck Sam Kong still teaches CLF? I don't really wanna study Hung Ga. Thanks.

Havick01
08-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Buck Sam Kong no longer teaches Choy Lay Fut, he is a Sifu of Hung Gar

banditshaw
08-22-2008, 12:35 AM
Sifu Buck Sam Kong does teach some CLF sets with the Hung. Not a whole CLF forms curriculum or anything but enough for one to get the gist of the style.

The handsets taught are Siu Mui Fa Kuen and Sap Ji Kau Da Kuen.

The CLF is from Lee Koon Hung and Kong Sifu teaches weapons from that line also.

During free sparring, Hung and CLF concepts are mixed together as one entity.

Infrazael- PM me if you have any questions about Kong's Kwoon.

Peace.

kfman5F
08-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Hi Infrazael,

Here's a synopsis of the style:

Originally, there were five principle Southern kung fu systems. They were designated by the word gar following the founder's name. Gar means family and in this case stands for kung fu families.

The five family systems were originated strictly as fighting arts, used to battle the Ching dynasty rulers. Unlike Northern systems, which were older and had evolved during peaceful times when students could study their martial arts for years before reaching higher levels, the masters of the Southern systems had to train their student more quickly how to fight. As a result, hard power was taught first, followed by internal training. Stances were wider and lower, and Southern footwork less active than Northern, relying more on the practitioner's strength for defense.

HUNG GAR – Founded by Hung Hei Gung, it uses external strength and dynamic tension exercises and is excellent for developing muscles and strong low stances. The Hung system is known for its power punching used out of a low horse, although it aims for a natural relaxed grace. However, it is mostly known for its long arm work.

LAU(Fut)GAR – Founded by Lau Soam Ngan, it is a middle length hand system, not often taught in present times. The Lau system consists of many open-hand techniques for blocking, slicing, chopping, and cutting techniques. However, it is mostly known for its Monk's hand work.

CHOY(Toy)GAR- The system was founded by Choy Gau Yee and is a long and short arm style. (No relation to Choy-li-fut system which was created much later). The Choy system teaches mostly kicks, side punches, and circular long and short fists. However, it is mostly known for its combination or blending of Fut and Li Gar methods.

LI GAR- Founded by Li Yao San (also one of Choy-li-fut's originators), this seldom-taught system features a strong medium-range attacks. The Li system has a lot of slaps and poking techniques against vital points on the body, and is known for its rapid and baffling footwork called “rat steps”. However, it is mostly known for its heel palm work.

MOK GAR – Founded by Mok Ching Giu, who was famous in Canton for his powerful kicks, this system places emphasis on short-hand techniques and strong kicks. The Mok system is known for its precise blocking system and for its simultaneous block-strikes,and is also famous for its Chicken heart strike(3rd knuckle punch).
With the exception of hung-gar, the Southern family styles are rarely seen today in their original forms. Most of the popular Southern systems, including choy-li-fut, wing chun and white crane, had their roots in the Shaolin temple martial system, or in other Northern styles.