PDA

View Full Version : least favorite style

mkriii
08-07-2008, 08:42 AM
The question is what style of martial art do you like the least? It doesn't have to be a Chinese martial art. It can be a Korean, Japanese, Okinawan or even Brazilian.

My least favorite is French Savate. IMO it is impractical because of all the high kicks it uses. It just doesn't impress me from what I have seen of this style.

SimonM
08-07-2008, 08:45 AM
Any style of martial art with the word "drunken" in the title.

golden arhat
08-07-2008, 08:52 AM
The question is what style of martial art do you like the least? It doesn't have to be a Chinese martial art. It can be a Korean, Japanese, Okinawan or even Brazilian.

My least favorite is French Savate. IMO it is impractical because of all the high kicks it uses. It just doesn't impress me from what I have seen of this style.

your style.

xcakid
08-07-2008, 08:52 AM
"American" Tae Kwon Do

mkriii
08-07-2008, 09:06 AM
your style.

Why I see your still the same ole' sh!t head you were last time I was here.

golden arhat
08-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Lolololololololololololololololol:d

mkriii
08-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Lolololololololololololololololol:d

I'm glad to see you think its funny. :D

Lucas
08-07-2008, 09:18 AM
can I say tae bo? please let me use tae bo as my answer.

Shaolinlueb
08-07-2008, 09:20 AM
"American" Tae Kwon Do

that or anything that wins on THE FINAL FU!!!

The Willow Sword
08-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Tae Bo is the absolute WORST of the WORST. But hey man Billy Blanks got himself a lotta pu$$eyyyy marketing that cr@p to lonely housewives:D:D:D

Peace,TWS

SimonM
08-07-2008, 09:21 AM
can I say tae bo? please let me use tae bo as my answer.

You have my permission on one condition.

Find somebody who thinks Tae Bo is a martial art and kick them hard in the knee.

mkriii
08-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Tae Bo isn't a martial art.......it's an exercise program based on kickboxing drills, a martial art aerobic exercise. It was never meant as a self defense but we'll let you say that it's your least favorite m.a. :D

Becca
08-07-2008, 10:50 AM
I like Tae Bo; it's much more amusing than pilates.... And pilates isn't a martial art either.

Mkriii - it's easy for GA to dislike someone else's style, especially the real one's that don't have Dhali Lhama or budist monk somthing or other in the name....;)

SimonM
08-07-2008, 10:54 AM
A slice of llama pie.

Judge Pen
08-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Why dislike a style? It's the practioners that make a style stink.

SimonM
08-07-2008, 10:58 AM
I stand by that any practicioner who thinks that staggering around acting drunk will help them win a fight is in for a shock first time they attempt to apply their stumbling antics.

peace&love
08-07-2008, 11:06 AM
I understand that this is designed for sport and it has its place, but I wish that a lot of instructors out there would make their potential and current students aware of this. TKD can be an effective art in the traditional since, but the WTF (org. ?) does not have any effective hand techniques, if any at all, and makes this particular style ineffective to a certain degree.

mkriii
08-07-2008, 11:22 AM

Not neccesarely, some styles are know for certain things. For example, BJJ known for ground fighting skills, TKD for high flashy kicks, boxing for hand striking skills and foot work, Savate for high kicks, etc.....

A person may not like kicking therefore TKD or Savate wouldn't be thier favorite. They would do better in kung fu class where kicking is about 40% and hands are 60% or boxing class.

Becca
08-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Oh, now I get it. hmmmmm.... I still don't dislike any given style, but I loath kicks abouve waist high. It would be easier to state what I like about certain styles than to state what whole style I like or dis like.....

golden arhat
08-07-2008, 12:20 PM
I'm glad to see you think its funny. :D

i'm glad to see that you see that i think its funny see?

golden arhat
08-07-2008, 12:20 PM

hence why i dislike mkrii's style

SimonM
08-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Super ultra secret fact: mkriii is secretly the author of how to make friends and influence people.

rogue
08-07-2008, 01:43 PM
My least favorite style is whatever one the other guy is using to knock me on my ass. Yesterday it was H.S. wrestling after Little Rogue did a sweet take down on his dear old Pa. Last time I'll point out to him that he was starting his shoot too far out. :D

GLW
08-07-2008, 02:14 PM
I kinda hate the mid 70's disco suit with platform shoes and large lapeled shirts style....

TenTigers
08-07-2008, 02:34 PM
I can't stand the ghetto look. shoes untied, pants falling down, underwear sticking out, shirt too big, hat on sideways-they look like toddlers. Four-yr olds dress like that. Some even walk around with pacifiers. What's next-pampers?
Could these people make themselves look any stupider if they tried? I think at this point, it would really take some work.
I guess it serves a purpose. Now you tell if a person is an azole at a glance.

As far as styles of MA? I used to teach American kenpo(Tracy's/Parker/Chow), then at a time when I needed money, I was hired to teach Shaolin Kempo(Villari's)

With the American Kenpo, I liked the rapid-fire strikes, economy of motion,fluidity,and brutality of the techniques. I also liked the sparring-shoes, no gear, grabbing, hair pulling, groin,shin,leg kicks. It was crazy.

With the Shaolin Kempo-it looked like watered-down Kenpo, trying to look like bad Kung-Fu, with ridiculous made-up forms, Pinan Katas done completely incorrectly, and self-defense technique that would get you killed. I hated the way they marketed themselves, Ninja seminars, ridiculous attempts at chi-gung,uniforms with every patch imaginable,and the way they referred to FV as "The Mastah" (Boston accents) just nauseating.

SanHeChuan
08-07-2008, 02:34 PM
TKD

Savate atleast has boxing and canes.

Lucas
08-07-2008, 02:57 PM
i guess tae bo isnt really a martial art. so i guess ill change my answer to SUMO

No_SuRReNDeR
08-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Thumb wrestling....

Drake
08-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Chuck Norris is on the phone. He'd like to speak to you about the high kick comment.

unkokusai
08-07-2008, 04:52 PM
hence why i dislike mkrii's style

I have to agree with that. At least he didn't include his resume in this thread, or more racist comments. (yet)

unkokusai
08-07-2008, 04:53 PM
i guess tae bo isnt really a martial art. so i guess ill change my answer to SUMO

Shuddup! Sumo rules.

Xiao3 Meng4
08-07-2008, 04:59 PM
karate Ryukyu kempo tomari-te and its comparably fraudulent relatives - I don't know their names (nor do I care to,) but it's those "styles" where the students are puppets, both mentally and physically, of the "master."

Bleah.

unkokusai
08-07-2008, 05:19 PM
3...4... :rolleyes:

Becca
08-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Chuck Norris is on the phone. He'd like to speak to you about the high kick comment.Lethim; I'm 5'1". I'll just bite his ankles.:D

ghostexorcist
08-07-2008, 10:30 PM
You have my permission on one condition.

Find somebody who thinks Tae Bo is a martial art and kick them hard in the knee.
It's sad, but I've heard some people (seriously) claim "I know Tae Bo, so don't mess with me!" So they actually think they are learning a 'style' when exercising.

Ray Pina
08-08-2008, 09:30 AM
It's not the style... it's the way people practice it. Though I am not fond of TKD's rule sets. Setting up practitioners to gain false sense of security by not allowing head striking and stopping action too soon upon meaningless contact. But the same could be said for karate and kung fu's competitive standard.

mkriii
08-08-2008, 09:51 AM
It's not the style... it's the way people practice it. Though I am not fond of TKD's rule sets. Setting up practitioners to gain false sense of security by not allowing head striking and stopping action too soon upon meaningless contact. But the same could be said for karate and kung fu's competitive standard.

No Ray thats not entirely true. Kung Fu do allow contact to the face. I do kung fu and my school goes somewhat pretty hard when sparring and every tournament that I've gone to allows facial contact, even at the all kung fu tournaments. Believe me, sparring at my school the contact was not menaingless. I've been kicked in the gonads and hit in the face many times where i was on the ground in pain. Don't even compare the contact of TKD with that of Kung Fu. Also Kung Fu is a lot more geared to street self defense than TKD is. Not saying kung fu is the best for street surviva, just better than TKD. :)

PHILBERT
08-08-2008, 12:40 PM
ATA Tae Kwon Do.

TenTigers
08-08-2008, 02:16 PM
the first tournament I ever competed in was TKD. Full contact, no gear and you can kick to the head. What a bloodbath!
(granted, it was in 1970's)

Ray Pina
08-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Yea. When I was a kid a the karate tournaments could get brutal for mens, advanced sparring. Blood was expected.

Today Karate and Kung Fu might "allow face contact" but it is severely restrictive. I was disqualified from the last kung fu tournament I was in (5 years ago) for hitting the face after being warned once.... the guy had about 25lbs on me and just kept charging in. I intended my strikes to distract him or force a change. He didn't block. Ran into the strike and I got sent home.

There needs to be rules to keep fighters safe but not pamper them. It's about fighting. Getting hit in the face is not only expected, it should be encouraged and rewarded.

rogue
08-08-2008, 07:15 PM
the first tournament I ever competed in was TKD. Full contact, no gear and you can kick to the head. What a bloodbath!
(granted, it was in 1970's)

Ahhh, the good old days when TKD was b1tchin.:D

Becca
08-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Yea. When I was a kid a the karate tournaments could get brutal for mens, advanced sparring. Blood was expected.

Today Karate and Kung Fu might "allow face contact" but it is severely restrictive. I was disqualified from the last kung fu tournament I was in (5 years ago) for hitting the face after being warned once.... the guy had about 25lbs on me and just kept charging in. I intended my strikes to distract him or force a change. He didn't block. Ran into the strike and I got sent home.

There needs to be rules to keep fighters safe but not pamper them. It's about fighting. Getting hit in the face is not only expected, it should be encouraged and rewarded.
The problem sounds more like a bad judge if they guy was charging in on you and not blocking. Of course, you might have been in the wrong type of tourny; not all of them are light contact.....

Ray Pina
08-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Yes. That tournament was not for me.

From now on it's MMA only.

San Da is too taxing and nothing else interests me.

David Jamieson
08-09-2008, 04:12 AM
I have been to many Karate and Kungfu tournaments, and the truth of it is that if you bring true intention and hard fight skills into the ring, you will be disqualified.

Mostly because quite a lot of it is simply fruitcakery and patty cake.

Every half descent fighter getst he heck out of esoteric practice if they really want to explore the act of fighting. They basically have to.

It's ok to train still, but to never use your tools makes your training a waste of time.

:)

in that sense, it's all good and it's all crap. yin and yang.

Drake
08-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Maybe they don't want people leaving tournaments with brain damage? It's absolutely stupid to allow head shots in ANY sport. It can cause death instantly, and even if it doesn't kill you, the long term effects look pretty bad. I don't think a tournament is better for allowing head shots. It's worse, and people should NOT allow their children to enter. Adults shoud have the common sense not to go, either.

In the Army, we always follow the mantra that no training is worth an injury or death. It should hold the same in MA.

unkokusai
08-09-2008, 02:07 PM
So, big boxing fan are ya?

TenTigers
08-10-2008, 06:07 AM
So, big boxing fan are ya?

when you really look at it, the goal of the game is to give your opponent a brain concussion.

David Jamieson
08-10-2008, 07:09 AM
when you really look at it, the goal of the game is to give your opponent a brain concussion.

the goal of any martial art is to overcome your adversary by whatever means and techniques are at your disposal.

the idea of making it sport is goofier for the exact reason that you have systematic removal of applicable effort and thereby render the art moot by the sportification of it.

In which case it becomes only taht which it is instead of that which it has the potential to be.

Drake
08-10-2008, 08:58 AM
the goal of any martial art is to overcome your adversary by whatever means and techniques are at your disposal.

the idea of making it sport is goofier for the exact reason that you have systematic removal of applicable effort and thereby render the art moot by the sportification of it.

In which case it becomes only taht which it is instead of that which it has the potential to be.

That may be true, but for the purpose of competition is NOT to quickly deal a horrid death or maiming to your opponent. And you shouldn't do that in the streets, either, unless you like months of legal wrangling and potential jail time. Do exactly what you need to do to end or escape the situation. This ain't ancient China no mo'.

unkokusai
08-10-2008, 09:02 AM
........................ :rolleyes:

Drake
08-10-2008, 09:48 AM
........................ :rolleyes:

hey why you make silly face???? Me angry!!! Me post until you stop making silly face!

golden arhat
08-10-2008, 03:31 PM
...................:rolleyes:

Lucas
08-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Ive changed my mind. I decided my least favorite style is any style that removes itself from actual martial applicability. other than that, they are all pretty bad ass.